March 29, 2024, 07:27:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama intends to Bankrupt coal industry!  (Read 2695 times)
truthseeker2
Monkey Junky

« on: November 02, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »

This was discussed on another blog that I frequent and has now appeared on the Drudge Report.  Listen to Obama in his own words what he intends to do with the coal industry.  it's on You Tube because the media will not independently cover this.  The interview was conducted early this year with the San Francisco Chronicle, yet Obama has not seen fit to share his views with the voting public..yet again.  Sarah Palin talked about this audio tape during her rally today in Marietta, OH.  You have to hear this....it's an energy killer and a job killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdi4onAQBWQ

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is looking"..J.C. Watts
truthseeker2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 04:01:17 PM »

Top coal producing states:

State                          Tons (billions) Percent of U.S.
Montana                              120         25.4
Illinois                                  78          16.5
Wyoming                              68          14.4
West Virginia                         37           8.0
Kentucky                              30           6.3
Pennsylvania                         29           6.1
Ohio                                    19           4.0
Colorado                              17           3.6
Texas                                  13           2.7
Indiana                                10           2.1
Other States                         51         10.9
TOTAL                               472         100.0

crazybabyborg
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 04:44:12 PM »

If there is a chance at all that anyone's e-mail contact list has someone in a swing state, please send that video out. I have and already have gotten a positive response or two.
truthseeker2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »

It was just briefly discussed on Cavuto a few minutes ago.  Rumor...an ad is being cut right now to run in batleground states.  I think GOTV is helping with the ad.

Thanks for sending this out to people.  We should hear more about as the day goes on and into Monday and Tuesday.  Why the SF Chronicle sat on this is...well nevermind.

Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 10:31:53 PM »

Bankrupting the Coal Industry during a financial crisis is disgusting.  Obama admits that energy costs would skyrocket.

People, who have lost a huge chunk of their savings, will have to find more money to pay for electricity.  There will be plenty of unemployment to go around, but Obama will push more job loss via the coal industry.

America took a huge hit with the housing industry and subsequent meltdown; add mushrooming unemployment; skyrocketing energy costs; and . . . Obama's tax policies.

This lunacy will bring us to our knees.

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:47:54 PM »

Hannity on Fox is really driving this home.  Colmes just stutters his way through it.  This is total madness.  Kentucky depends on coal and so many people in eastern KY have died in those god-awful mines.  They deserve better then this.  If Obama gets in and Al Gore is head of Energy department WE are ALL in trouble.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »

Pennsylvania and Ohio will feel the impact, too.

46% of energy is by coal.  This is pathetic.

Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 12:48:07 AM »

on gretawire:

Comment by Chuck
November 3rd, 2008 at 12:27 am
A Little Info on Coal and the impact of Obama “bankrupting” the industry. Please pass this on!!! Send it to any friends you have in these states.

Virginia

The combined direct and indirect contributions of the coal industry to Virginia’s economy are more than $4 billion.
Virginia employs more than 5,400 miners.

Ohio

The combined direct and indirect contributions of the coal industry to Ohio’s economy are more than $8 billion.
Ohio employs more than 3,000 miners.

Indiana

The combined direct and indirect contributions of the coal industry to Indiana’s economy are more than $4 billion.
Indiana employs more than 2,600 miners.
About 95% of the electricity used in Indiana is produced by coal!

Pennsylvania

The combined direct and indirect contributions of the coal industry to Pennsylvania’s economy are more than $10 billion.
Pennsylvania employs more than 9,300 miners.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 01:02:05 AM »

I live in extreme upper East Tn, right on the border of Southwest Virginia. My clinic is in rural Southwest Virginia. The towns that are there are flat out coal mining towns. Those mines are the ONLY steady source of income for the population in that area. A lot of families were really caught when the state ended tobacco allotments for farmers, and if the coal mining jobs dried up, those hard working people will be hopeless.

Those mines have paid for college for the children of mine workers, I know, my clinical director was one of those kids. Loosing that job opportunity would absolutely devastate that area. As hard and as dangerous as the work is, the workers have good health benefits, good retirement benefits and the pay is union scale. For my area that is very good salary.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 01:07:45 AM »

It's not just the coal industry that will be affected by Obama's declaration to bankrupt the coal industry, folks we are in a position to depend on coal for almost 1/2 of our energy. Our energy costs are going to
S-K-Y-R-O-C-K-E-T!!
caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 03:54:02 AM »

Despite the scientific debate, the issue of global warming and proposals to address this perceived threat have received a lot of attention lately in the Senate. On one side of this debate, there are proposals to create a mandatory domestic program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, such as the amendment that will be proposed by Senator McCain, to my understanding, and I strongly urge my colleagues to vote against this amendment.

It is my understanding that the amendment, according to Charles Rivers Associates, which analyzed its provisions, would cause the loss of 24,000 to 47,000 Ohio jobs, in 2010, and energy-intensive industries to shrink by 2.3 to 5.6 percent in 2020. We are talking about manufacturing industries, energy-intensive manufacturing and chemical and many others.

The McCain amendment will put coal out of business by forcing fuel switching to natural gas.
This might even be why some organizations are pushing this amendment. Last year, I was shocked to read that a Sierra Legal Defense Fund staff lawyer said:

In general, our long-term objective is to make sure that coal-fired plants get closed.

http://www.c-spanarchives.org/congress/?q=node/77531&id=7351631

oops... 

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 12:47:15 PM »

Here is what I see as the difference...

Obama wants to put coal out of business.  How?  Tax them?  Tax coal power plants?  Force expensive scrubbers?  Unrealistic air quality goals?  How and why does Obama want to bankrupt the coal industry/system? 

McCain wants to change to natural gas.  Is there anything punative in his announcement?  Just a switch? 

Wisconsin (my state) gets about 42% of the power needs from coal.  Wisconsin is already addressing greenhouse gasses, making the plants more efficient, and in some cases, switching to cleaner alternatives. 

We Energies’ emissions in future years will continue to be influenced by several actions as part of Wisconsin Energy Corporation’s (WEC) Power the Future plan, including:

• Repowering the Port Washington Power Plant from coal to natural gas combined cycle units.

• Adding coal-fired units as part of the Oak Creek expansion that will be the most efficient coal units in the We Energies system.

• Increasing investment in energy efficiency and conservation.

• Maintaining and increasing the company’s non-emitting generation by adding 145 megawatts of wind capacity as well as increasing customer participation in the Energy for Tomorrow® renewable energy program.

• Visit www.we-energies.com/environmental/bluesky_greenfield.htm to learn more about the wind project and www.we-energies.com/business_new/altenergy/renewable.htm for more information on Energy for Tomorrow, and to use a calculator to determine your “carbon footprint” and how to reduce or eliminate it using Energy for Tomorrow.

• Successful renewal of the Point Beach Nuclear Plant’s operating licenses in 2005.

http://www.wisconsinenergy.com/performrpt/pdf/env/env_greenhouse.pdf

Despite the scientific debate, the issue of global warming and proposals to address this perceived threat have received a lot of attention lately in the Senate. On one side of this debate, there are proposals to create a mandatory domestic program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, such as the amendment that will be proposed by Senator McCain, to my understanding, and I strongly urge my colleagues to vote against this amendment.

It is my understanding that the amendment, according to Charles Rivers Associates, which analyzed its provisions, would cause the loss of 24,000 to 47,000 Ohio jobs, in 2010, and energy-intensive industries to shrink by 2.3 to 5.6 percent in 2020. We are talking about manufacturing industries, energy-intensive manufacturing and chemical and many others.

The McCain amendment will put coal out of business by forcing fuel switching to natural gas.
This might even be why some organizations are pushing this amendment. Last year, I was shocked to read that a Sierra Legal Defense Fund staff lawyer said:

In general, our long-term objective is to make sure that coal-fired plants get closed.

http://www.c-spanarchives.org/congress/?q=node/77531&id=7351631

oops... 

I still believe the best course of action is to invest in a variety of energy alternatives.

Keeping in mind that air pollution is getting worse because of countries that are being industrialized.  What comes to mind are those in Asia - China, India, Korea, etc.

China Changes its Tune (a little)

By Alexandra Shimo |  Email | November 3rd, 2008 at 11:53 am

In its first ever policy paper on climate change, China has admitted that its carbon emissions are now equal to those of the United States. (Well, they are actually a little more, but let’s not quibble).

Beijing now acknowledged the environmental problem. “Extreme climate phenomena, such as high temperatures, heavy precipitation and severe droughts, have increased in frequency and intensity,” the paper says.

Looking ahead, China would consider switching to alternative energy, but only if developed countries help out. China’s top climate change negotiator, Xie Zhenhua, said Beijing would consider limits on its worst polluting industries if rich nations handed over the technology to help clean them up. Developed nations should commit 0.7 per cent of their GDP to helping developing countries fight climate change, he says.

http://blog.macleans.ca/2008/11/03/china-changes-its-tune-a-little/

China is the new industrial powerhouse, and cash rich.  The US and other countries are deeply in debt and have declining industrial bases.

China has increased consumption of animal products, cars, consumer goods, etc.

What is the point of developing all these Obama green technologies if countries that have the cash to pay for them want a hand out?

"We're not supporting coal," Biden told media while campaigning in Ohio. "They're building two plants a week in China, and it's polluting America.

"China's going to burn 300 years of dirty coal unless we figure a way to clean it up."

http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/516457.html

Will China use their accumulated wealth/cash to buy existing technology?  Invest in their future? 

Will the US have the backbone to tax Chinese imports (like the cigarette taxes) to pay for health related illnesses among Americans due to all these increased emissions?

Maybe they could trade some debt relief for all this technology?

It sounds like another ripoff for American taxpayers.   Maybe they'll even ship the coal to China.  At the rate of consumption, when will their supply run out?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »

We Energies’ Pleasant Prairie Power Plant located in Kenosha, Wisconsin, will host a first-of-its-kind project that demonstrates a technology to separate and capture up to 90 percent of the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from a coal-fired power plant. The project is scheduled to remain operational for about one year, during which the Electric Power Research Institute will conduct an extensive test program to collect data and evaluate technology performance. This technology has the potential to dramatically reduce the cost of removing CO2 from pulverized coal power plants and is expected to bring the cost of removing CO2 from these power plants in line with the estimated cost of removal from proposed integrated gasification combined cycle power plants. Visit www.we-energies.com/home/carboncapture.htm to learn more about the project.

http://www.wisconsinenergy.com/performrpt/pdf/env/env_greenhouse.pdf

Our Pleasant Prairie Power Plant, located in southeast Wisconsin, is hosting a demonstration project of new chilled ammonia technology that aims to achieve a highly efficient carbon capture rate of carbon dioxide emissions from a coal-fueled generating facility. Although carbon dioxide emissions currently aren't regulated, we are committed to reducing emissions and investing in environmentally responsible technology. This first-ever, field test is innovative and we look forward to the project results in mid-2009.

From the link above, there are videos, diagrams, and other education tools.

"Carbon Capture" - reducing emissions by 90%

Funding by companies in Canada, Germany, & France...a global effort to improve!

A comment suggests that they are doing this in Poland too.

Why should coal be a part of the future?  30% global power is coal.  Coal needed in future for 25% plus.  Need to fix as industry for the future.

Looks like some are trying to clean up coal and make it a fuel for the future.  Why would Obama want to bankrupt the industry?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.