April 17, 2024, 09:51:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: and . . . THERE WAS CHANGE  (Read 1432 times)
Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: November 03, 2008, 11:34:11 AM »

Comment by A Cuban Hispanic
November 3rd, 2008 at 3:50 am

Each year I get to celebrate Independence Day twice.

On June 30 I celebrate my independence day and on July 4 I celebrate America’s.  This year is special, because it marks the 40th anniversary of my independence.

On June 30, 1968, I escaped Communist Cuba and a few months later I was in the United States to stay. That I happened to arrive in Richmond on Thanksgiving Day is just part of the story, but I digress.

I’ve thought a lot about the anniversary this year.

The election-year rhetoric has made me think a lot about Cuba and what transpired there. In the late 1950s, most Cubans thought Cuba needed a change, and they were right. So when a young leader came along, every Cuban was at least receptive.

When the young leader spoke eloquently and passionately and denounced the old system, the press fell in love with him. They never questioned who his friends were or what he really believed in. When he said he would help the farmers and the poor and bring free medical care and education to all, everyone followed. When he said he would bring justice and equality to all, everyone said “Praise the Lord.” And when the young leader said, “I will be for change and I’ll bring you change,” everyone yelled, “Viva Fidel!”

But nobody asked about the change, so by the time the executioner’s guns went silent the people’s guns had been taken away. By the time everyone was equal, they were equally poor, hungry, and oppressed. By the time everyone received
their free education it was worth nothing. By the time the press noticed, it was too late, because they were now working for him.

By the time the change was finally implemented Cuba had been knocked down a couple of notches to Third-World status. By the time the change was over more than a million people had taken to boats, rafts, and inner tubes. You can call those who made it ashore anywhere else in the world the most fortunate Cubans. And now I’m back to the beginning of my story.

Luckily, we would never fall for a young leader in America, who promised change without our asking, what change? How will you carry it out?

What will it cost America?

Would we?

Manuel Alvarez Jr. Sandy Hook, VA

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:55:02 AM »

Very interesting comment there.

My husband was stationed at Guantanamo, Cuba. 1969 to 1971. Me and the children were there with him. At some point in earlier years there had been many areas with land mines. No one knew exactly where they were. Somewhere near the ocean. Lots of Cubans took there chances to escape Cuba by swimming to Guantanamo. Some were blown up while walking through these minefields. Some managed to make it to safety. If I remember right it was something like a 12 mile swim. They said it was worth it.

We also had many Cubans who worked on the base who lived in Cuba itself. There were 2 gates. One at Cuba proper where the Cuban's were dropped off. They then had to walk 3 miles in an area that was called no mans land. After they walked the 3 miles a base bus picked them up to take them to their Jobs.
 The same procedure was used for them get  home at night. So Castro still benefited from their income. They would have loved to stay right there on the base.

Just a swinging with the tribe
Slogger
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »

Obama, "We need a better, more complete Government."

When the young leader spoke eloquently and passionately and denounced the old system, the press fell in love with him. They never questioned who his friends were or what he really believed in. When he said he would help the farmers and the poor and bring free medical care and education to all, everyone followed. When he said he would bring justice and equality to all, everyone said “Praise the Lord.” And when the young leader said, “I will be for change and I’ll bring you change,” everyone yelled, “Viva Fidel!”

Change we need; change the U.S. and the World; most important election in our lifetimes.

Obama offers change:

Change that will lower almost everyone, sink US to low levels.

Taxation and SPENDING enacted at JET SPEED.

Housing policy preferences that have already axed the economy.

Roving groups of ACORNS ready to become MIGHTY TREES.

ENERY REDUCTION, NOT PRODUCTION in a crisis.

Policies of preference to others, not to US.

This potential President is a disaster waiting to perform.

Obama doesn't want to show partiality . . . TO WHOM?  US?

THE WORLD AWAITS THE ULTIMATE STEP. . . OVER THE BRINK.

OBAMA, THE LEVELER. . . is poised to enact THE CHANGE.

Constitution101    hillsdale.edu/constitution/
Courtesy is requested; Respect is Earned.
Pace Yourself, for the LongHaul.  MOs
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.