March 29, 2024, 12:40:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rahm Emanuel - Washington / Clinton Insider?  (Read 2952 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 06, 2008, 11:27:42 AM »

I brought these over from another thread.  Hat Tip to Kermit -

Just like Clinton Obama will fill his White House staff with people who either bought it, or did something to get it:
Emanuel  was one of the original members of the Little Rock "War Room."
Rahm Emanuel raised $70 million as finance director for Clinton's 1992.
He became Clinton's adviser.
He's the man who beat back the Republican-led impeachment over Clinton's lying about Monica Lewinsky - perjury!

Former President Clinton Appointed Emanuel To The Board Of Freddie Mac
Where He Earned $231,655 In Director's Fees In 2001 And $31,060 In 2000.
"Clinton's going-away gift to Emanuel was a seat on the quasi-governmental
Freddie Mac board, which paid him $231,655 in director's fees in 2001
and
$31,060 in 2000." (Lynn Sweet, "Too Much Money A Bad Thing?" Chicago
Sun-Times, 1/3/02)

2008 - Obama puts Rahm Emanuel as his White House chief of staff

The Plan: Big Ideas for America
by Rahm Emanuel (Author), Bruce Reed (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Big-Ideas-America/dp/1586484125

Both served as top aides in Bill Clinton's 1992 and 1996 campaigns and held top policy jobs in the White House. ...

here is the Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahm_Emanuel
it has many links and much information.

From work earlier in his career, Emanuel considers Mayor Richard M. Daley, Senator Paul Simon and President Bill Clinton to be his professional mentors. He considers his personal mentors to be his father and mother.

What fresh ideas will he bring?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »

Rahm Emanuel: A profile of Barack Obama's enforcer

Rahm Emanuel, who has been chosen by Barack Obama to be the White House chief of staff, is known by colleagues as "Rahmbo" - a nickname reflecting his reputation as one of the most ferociously combative figures in Washington.

Mr Emanuel, who received training in ballet as a boy, has shown no lightness of step in his political career: would-be enemies are advised to heed the story of a pollster who wronged him and promptly received a large, decomposing fish in the post.

Mr Emanuel became Mr Clinton's chief fundraiser, a role in which he gained a fearsome name for extracting exactly what he wanted from wealthy donors. He collected enough money for the campaign to ride out several potentially damaging scandals. The president later said of his money man: "I doubt we could have done it without him."

The intense, eventually successful campaign took a serious toll on him. Colleagues reported that amid a discussion over a celebratory dinner about which political figures had earned the new president's enmity, Mr Emanuel became so enraged that he grabbed a steak knife, stood up and began reciting a list of names, plunging the knife into the table and shouting "Dead! Dead! Dead!" after each one.

*Frank Barney knows where to find the rich people, I seem to have read something like that recently.

It was reported that when Tony Blair was preparing to appear in public alongside the president amid the height of the Monica Lewinsky scandal in 1998, he told the prime minister: "This is important. Don't ---- it up."

Following the messy end to the Clinton presidency, Mr Emanuel went into investment banking, reportedly earning $8million (£5million) in his three years as managing director of Dresdner Kleinwort.

He may know where the investment money is from all those bankers...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/3390625/Rahm-Emanuel-A-profile-of-Barack-Obamas-enforcer.html

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:49:44 AM »

...In public he's aimed similar messages at liberal financiers like George Soros for being stingy and at the leftist activists in MoveOn.org for being ineffective. "Is there anyone Rahm Emanuel isn't fighting with?" asks a MyDD blogger. A straw poll by another leftist blog, Daily Kos, gave Emanuel a 58% disapproval rating.

All this matters, of course, only if the Democrats lose. "Holy Christ, his butt is on the line," says Democratic strategist Paul Begala, who describes Emanuel's aggressive style as a "cross between a hemorrhoid and a toothache." Begala continues, "I love Rahm, but that's a small group of us. He's not a beloved figure like Tip O'Neill or Dick Gephardt. Rahm's there because they want to win."

...He is praised by Democratic strategists who think the party needs to resist moving left (nearly twice as many American voters call themselves conservative as call themselves liberal) and distrusted by some in the party's liberal wing. He considers Connecticut Senator Joseph Lieberman a good friend, even though Lieberman's support of the Iraq war inflamed leftist sentiment and cost him his party's nomination.

...Emanuel himself criticizes Bush's conduct of the war but not the original decision to topple Saddam Hussein.

Emanuel's in-your-face money demands make him stand out in a party that has sometimes been a little prissy about big-donor fundraising. "Republicans understand power and that you need money to get power. Our guys don't," complains one of the party's leading funders. Colleagues say Emanuel has become adept at the care and feeding of big donors-knowing their interests, asking about their families, sending them cheesecakes from Chicago's Eli's Bakery. He's expanded the DCCC's donor base, appealing both to like-minded young financiers and big-business donors with GOP ties who are hedging their bets this fall.

On Iraq, Emanuel has steered clear of the withdraw-now crowd, preferring to criticize Bush for military failures since the 2003 invasion. "The war never had to turn out this way," he told me at one of his campaign stops. In January 2005, when asked by Meet the Press's Tim Russert whether he would have voted to authorize the war-"knowing that there are no weapons of mass destruction"-Emanuel answered yes. (He didn't take office until after the vote.) "I still believe that getting rid of Saddam Hussein was the right thing to do, okay?" he added.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/17/magazines/fortune/politics.fortune/index.htm

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »

U.S. Jews laud Obama pick of Rahm Emanuel for chief of staff

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1035128.html

Obama says Rahm Emanuel accepts chief of staff position

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1034635.html

He is unabashed about his own connection to Israel," said Michael Kotzin, executive vice president of the Jewish United Fund-Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago.

"If he goes to the White House, he'll be going to serve the president - but Israel will have a friend in the White House," Kotzin told the Post.

Emanuel's selection was to be formally announced on Friday.

The man nicknamed "Rahmbo" - derived from his political style, not his record as a volunteer helping the IDF during the First Gulf War - got his start in politics after graduating from Sarah Lawrence College in 1981, where, a talented dancer, he studied ballet.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1225910057970&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

i want to know Emanuels position on the West-Bank settlements but i haven't found them yet.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:36:26 PM »

The Brothers Emanuel

Published: June 15, 1997

The best Rahm Emanuel story is not the one about the decomposing two-and-a-half-foot fish he sent to a pollster who displeased him. It is not about the time - the many times - that he hung up on political contributors in a Chicago mayor's race, saying he was embarrassed to accept their $5,000 checks because they were $25,000 kind of guys. No, the definitive Rahm Emanuel story takes place in Little Rock, Ark., in the heady days after Bill Clinton was first elected President.

It was there that Emanuel, then Clinton's chief fund-raiser, repaired with George Stephanopoulos, Mandy Grunwald and other aides to Doe's, the campaign hangout. Revenge was heavy in the air as the group discussed the enemies - Democrats, Republicans, members of the press - who wronged them during the 1992 campaign. Clifford Jackson, the ex-friend of the President and peddler of the Clinton draft-dodging stories, was high on the list. So was William Donald Schaefer, then the Governor of Maryland and a Democrat who endorsed George Bush. Nathan Landow, the fund-raiser who backed the candidacy of Paul Tsongas, made it, too.

Suddenly Emanuel grabbed his steak knife and, as those who were there remeber it, shouted out the name of another enemy, lifted the knife, then brought it down with full force into the table.

''Dead!'' he screamed.

The group immediately joined in the cathartic release: ''Nat Landow! Dead! Cliff Jackson! Dead! Bill Schaefer! Dead!''

Today, the brothers argue just as passionately about the role that environment and genetics played in the life of their sister, who in recent years has been on and off the welfare rolls that Rahm worked so hard to cut. Benjamin Emanuel met his daughter when he gave her a well-baby checkup and discovered that she had suffered a brain hemorrhage at delivery. The baby's future was unclear; Shoshana's birth mother, a young woman of Polish Catholic background, asked Dr. Emanuel if he knew someone who wanted her child. ''But I couldn't find placement,'' Benjamin Emanuel says. After a week of debate between both parents and sons - Marsha Emanuel had always wanted a girl - the Emanuels themselves took Shoshana in. ''What are you going to do?'' Benjamin Emanuel says philosophically.

...Exiled to what he describes as a White House closet with a Playskool phone, Rahm was made director of speical projects. He grabbed on to Nafta and the crime bill and crawled his way back. ''He didn't take his ball and go home,'' says his friend William Daley, the Secretary of Commerce and the Chicago Mayor's brother.

Rahm, the new father, has similar questions these days. ''But I don't know about gene pool,'' he muses. ''I'm a big believer in environment. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be so worried about trying to balance this job with parenthood.'' He calls his mother and father ''Uber-parents'' who ''left an indeliable print that they expected nothing but the best from us, and taught us to expect it from ourselves.''

That, he says, is the most important lesson he will pass on to his son. ''Luckily,'' he adds, ''I got the crib notes from somebody.''

read many pages here -
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0DE1DF173FF936A25755C0A961958260

Rahm...Nafta?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:53 PM »

Clinton Wins Senate Test On Trade-Negotiating Bill

Published: November 5, 1997

Appearing in the White House Rose Garden just minutes after the Senate vote, President Clinton, flanked by his entire economic team, praised what he called the ''bipartisan coalition'' in the Senate. ''The world economy is clearly on a fast track,'' he said. ''If we don't seize these opportunities our competitors surely will. An 'America last' strategy is unacceptable.''

With 26 Senate Democrats joining the 43 Republicans to bring the trade legislation to the Senate floor, Rahm Emanuel, President Clinton's senior adviser, said the vote should demonstrate to House Democrats that ''you can be pro-trade, a good Democrat and the sky won't fall in.''

Opponents of the measure argued that the Clinton Administration's trade policy was resulting in a growing trade deficit -- particularly since Nafta was passed in 1993. Saying that every year the merchandise trade deficit is getting ''worse not better,'' Senator Byron L. Dorgan of North Dakota asked, ''is this country moving in the right direction?''

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE2D61030F936A35752C1A961958260

Are you better off today than you were in 1993 before NAFTA?

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 02:19:15 AM »

this Rahm Emanuel Chief of Staff is even more hardline than Bush regarding Israel.
opposes the dismantling of the West-Bank settlements.
dismantling of settlements is even in Israel pretty mainstream - Labour/Kadima.

i wonder why Obama did this.
in February there is a Knesset election.
if they elect Likud there is no chance there will be a peace process.
this Emanuel appointment may help the Kadima campaign.
now it is harder for Netanyahu to say that both Obama and Kadima are bad for Israel.

but Sec. of State / National Security Advisor are way more important of course.
maybe after the Knesset election Emanuel will mostly kept busy with economic/financial policies, not foreign affairs.

i think this might be Obama strategy.
else i am clueless why he would pick days after the election such a hardliner.
i think Obama and Livni are a dreamteam to restart the peace process and drive Hamas in the sea.
if Netanyahu wins this is not going to work. so Kadima has to win.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:20:38 AM »

this Rahm Emanuel Chief of Staff is even more hardline than Bush regarding Israel.
opposes the dismantling of the West-Bank settlements.
dismantling of settlements is even in Israel pretty mainstream - Labour/Kadima.

i wonder why Obama did this.
in February there is a Knesset election.
if they elect Likud there is no chance there will be a peace process.
this Emanuel appointment may help the Kadima campaign.
now it is harder for Netanyahu to say that both Obama and Kadima are bad for Israel.

but Sec. of State / National Security Advisor are way more important of course.
maybe after the Knesset election Emanuel will mostly kept busy with economic/financial policies, not foreign affairs.

i think this might be Obama strategy.
else i am clueless why he would pick days after the election such a hardliner.
i think Obama and Livni are a dreamteam to restart the peace process and drive Hamas in the sea.
if Netanyahu wins this is not going to work. so Kadima has to win.

Does Rahm maintain dual citizenship in Israel?  Perhaps he has a greater interest than the average person?

From an internet discussion about dual citizenship pro/con -

Before Viewzone asked me to research the meaning of "dual citizenship," I had never heard of the term. How could someone be a citizen of two countries at the same time? But I was just ignorant. Dual nationalities and citizenships are quite common.

Security Issues

Since citizenship carries with it a responsibility to be exclusively loyal to one country, the whole concept of dual citizenship and nationality raises questions about which of the dual citizenships have priority. This is extremely important when the two countries have opposing interests. It can be a deadly problem when a dual citizen is in a high position within our American government.

Can one imagine a Japanese citizen serving in the Pentagon during WWII? Or how about a citizen of the Soviet Union holding a cabinet position in the White House during the Cold War?

Today's conflicts are centered in the Middle East. America needs to balance foreign policies towards oil producing Arab nations with our goal being peace and stability in the region. This places a burdon on our government to be even-handed in our dealings with the Arab world and Israel. While the Iraq War was waged on lies about Weapons of Mass Destruction and revenge for 911, the real reason has emerged as a well designed global plan to improve the power and leverage of Israel. Added to this policy is yet another potential blow to American interests and security -- the impending War with Iran. This war will be waged for the security of Israel and will be paid for by the blood of American soldiers and the hard-earned money of American citizens whose quality of life is inversely tied to the cost of petrolium.

Recently, in their much lauded paper, The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy, Harvard professor, Stephen Walt, and University of Chicago professor, John Mearsheimer, focused attention on the strong Israeli lobby which has a powerful influence over American foreign policies (see BBC article). They detail the influence that this lobby has exerted, forming a series of international policies which can be viewed as in direct opposition to the interests and security of the American people. These acts and policies are more often than not carried out by US government appointees who hold powerful positions and who are dual American-Israeli citizens. Since the policies they support are often exclusively beneficial to Israel, often to the detriment of America, it has been argued that their loyalties are misdirected.

If you think we're being unfair here, ask yourself: How you would react to the Head of Homeland Security if he or she were a dual national with citizenship in Iran, Lebanon or Saudi Arabia? Ask yourself why you don't feel the same about Israeli dual citizenship. Then you will understand how powerful the Israeli lobby has been in "adjusting" your acceptance of their special status.

http://www.viewzone.com/dualcitizen.html

links from above -

The power of America's "Jewish lobby" is said to be legendary.

Commentators the world over refer to it, as though it were a well-established fact that US Jews wield far more influence than their numbers (2% of the population) would suggest.

Two US academics, John Mearsheimer of the University of Chicago and Stephen Walt of Harvard, have set out to answer those questions, and triggered a firestorm of controversy as a result.

Their book The Israel Lobby and US Foreign Policy...

Pro-Israeli contributions to US campaigns dwarf those of Arab-Americans or Muslim groups.

"They have often misrepresented our arguments badly or tried to smear us by either saying or hinting that we are anti-Semitic," Mr Walt told the BBC News website.

(On a personal note, that 'smearing' with the anti-Semitic  (or racist) label is quite common.)

The authors regard their excoriation in the US press as a sign of the lobby's effectiveness, and point out that reviews abroad have been much more favourable.

"This in some way confirms our basic argument that it's much easier to talk about this subject outside the United States than we do inside the US," he says.

Mr Judt himself is not afraid to speak out, but he has to tread more carefully when he criticises Israeli policies in the US than he does in Israel itself.

"I have written articles in Haaretz that no American newspapers would touch," he says.

Lots more here -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7104030.stm

I have to wonder if the Obama campaign encouraged the Muslim links to his name to raise the fear level of Americans.  It would have been an easy thing to point to the religious diversity of his inner circle.

Is long lasting peace in the Middle East ever possible? 

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.