March 28, 2024, 05:39:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obamaism? McCarthyism?  (Read 1468 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 11, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »

From the wiki -

During this time many thousands of Americans were accused of being Communists or communist sympathizers and became the subject of aggressive investigations and questioning before government or private-industry panels, committees and agencies. The primary targets of such suspicions were government employees, those in the entertainment industry, educators and union activists. Suspicions were often given credence despite inconclusive or questionable evidence, and the level of threat posed by a person's real or supposed leftist associations or beliefs was often greatly exaggerated. Many people suffered loss of employment, destruction of their careers, and even imprisonment. Most of these punishments came about through trial verdicts later overturned,[1] laws that would be declared unconstitutional,[2] dismissals for reasons later declared illegal[3] or actionable,[4] or extra-legal procedures that would come into general disrepute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

What would Obamaism or perhaps the Democratic Party look like to future generations?

During this time many thousands of Americans were accused of being Republican or religious sympathizers and became the subject of aggressive investigations and questioning by news media, or internet bloggers, community organizations, and other politically inclined entities. The primary targets of such suspicions were Republicans, the spiritually oriented, those in the banking, financial, and insurance industries, anyone with a 401K, savings account, or retirement program, special education interests, and peace advocates...Many people suffered loss of employment, destruction of their careers, financial ruination, and even bankruptcy.

It is kinda scary to me that so many rushed to Alaska to dig through the Palin trash, force open divorce files, etc., yet fail to make something as simple as an original birth certificate public.

just my humble opinions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »

Also from the wiki -

On June 1, 1950, Senator Margaret Chase Smith, a Maine Republican, delivered a speech to the Senate she called a "Declaration of Conscience". In a clear attack upon McCarthyism, she called for an end to "character assassinations" and named "some of the basic principles of Americanism: The right to criticize; The right to hold unpopular beliefs; The right to protest; The right of independent thought." She said "freedom of speech is not what it used to be in America," and decried "cancerous tentacles of 'know nothing, suspect everything' attitudes."[62] Six other Republican Senators—Wayne Morse, Irving M. Ives, Charles W. Tobey, Edward John Thye, George Aiken, and Robert C. Hendrickson—joined Smith in condemning the tactics of McCarthyism.

What every happened to diversity in the news media?  Does free speech and access to information suffer in the current media environment?  [

How does any nation work to end a media monopoly?  Enhance diversity of thought?

RICO?

imho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.