March 28, 2024, 02:56:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ISSUES and BAGGAGE  (Read 13844 times)
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 07, 2006, 12:02:49 PM »

The purpose of this Thread will be to address individual Issues and Baggage that we all have.  This is to give up a place to vent and discuss matters of importance to us that do not fit in with a forum topic.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:07:34 PM »

Oh, boy, Anna.....right now I think I could use all 50 pages!!!

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 12:14:05 PM »

I live in a very rural and remote area.  Being more or less a city girl, I am finding many things I did not anticipate before moving here.  One of those is FIELD MICE who invade my house seasonally.

Everyone says it's just that time of year and all that.  The mowing of hay nearby seems to make it worse.  No one else seems hysterical about it at all.   Rolling Eyes

It is bad enough that I just this week located a nest of these field mice in a vacuum cleaner in my laundry room but they have to make such a mess everywhere they go!

The terriers were going wild around the vacuum cleaner in the laundry room (I keep several scattered around the house, vacuum cleaners not terriers) so I took it outside (thank goodness!) and opened it up on the ground and tiny mice ran everywhere!!  I am truly frightened of them and actually felt dizzy!

OK, they climbed through the hose and chewed up the bag and its contents, made a nest, etc.  All that is bad enough but why or why did they have the chew and leave little mouse droppings on all the shelves in the laundry room and bath?  Now I have about a zillion towels to launder and all that to remove from the shelves, replace the liner covering and put all the stuff back.

Major!!  Lots of work for nothing. . . . they are outside those that survived the dogs. . . right where they would have been to start with!

I am getting lots of those glue traps and putting down to try to prevent any attempt at re-entry.  There is something about these mice that allows them to enter a house full of dogs.  Too much nerve or too stupid, one or the other!

My rant for the day but I reserve the right to make an additional one or ones later should the need arise.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 12:15:12 PM »

How about we name this thread Advice from Annabama?  Very Happy You can help us solve all our problems Anna?  Very Happy

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 12:18:05 PM »

oooh I have some advice for you Anna after renovating two 100-year old homes in GA, we had field mice too. You need to buy steel wool at the hardware store, stuff it around the pipes coming into your house, into the space between the pipes and the surrounding hole? Even under your sinks as well - it helped a lot! Those tiny spaces around plumbing is where many travel throughout our houses !

I continue to stand with the girl.
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 12:29:40 PM »

I always thought cats were for solving mice problems?
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 12:33:58 PM »

Have fun today, None, and I will get steel wool and try that.

Carnut, I have about a dozen dogs and a cat would lead a very bad life here, I am afraid.

I am starting out small and will work up to larger issues as I go along.  No, None, I can't handle my own issues much less have advice for others.  Maybe we can all pitch in and help, though!

Roll Tide!!

PERSONA NON GRATA

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »

A good mouser couldn't care less about dogs.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef617.htm

Anna.....this article is from the University of KY....and you might remember that is where I live....!  I don't think there is anything funny about mice in the house....so I am checking out any articles that might help you....I will probably find more than you need....so stop me when you have enough... Very Happy

Mere

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »

http://www.epestsupply.com/mice.htm?source=google?kw=ratsmice

This article contains the copper wool (like steel wool) for closing holes around pipes, etc.

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 03:18:01 PM »

Oy Vey, Anna.  Shocked I read your post with fascination and horror. Eeeeeeek. Little mice in your vacuum cleaner? All the work you have to do cleaning up the mess .... you poor thing. I would be hysterical, too!  

PS: Thanks for creating this thread.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 01:41:53 PM »

Much to my horror, at least one mouse seems to have escaped and made its way into the rest of the house!   Shocked I have two Yorkies and my best Westie hot on the trail but the problem is that it is making such a mess as it goes from room to room.

I will never get this all cleaned and put back in order.  I am like a mad woman jerking things out of cabinets and buffets!

No time to install new mailbox from where the local juvenile delinquents hit my last one, third one in about that many years for I have this horror of this mouse.  What if it has more mice babies???

I am afraid it is in the main bathroom now, away from the laundry room entirely, which is yet another set of towels and sheets, etc.  Also large line closet and another closet with shelves with all kinds of things on it.
Hair care products, cleaning products, etc.  All going to have to come off the shelves looking for evidence the mouse has been there.

I can't find copper wool, only steel.  Someone told me to put out a packet of hot cocoa mix that this is poison to them and also aspartame so I have those all over the place and it isn't having any part of them.  Think it is stealing dog kibbles right from under our noses instead.  Or when we are asleep.  Hope to go to feed store this afternoon for major assistance.  But I can't use poison because of the dogs.  The dogs who behave almost as hysterically as I do.

But I am sort of afraid to go to sleep. . . .what if it got on the bed with me or bit me?  Have two Yorkies stationed guard but they sleep very soundly.

Have taken out eight drawers in the bathroom and there they were. . . mouse droppings under the bottom one.  I knew it!!

Sad

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 01:46:43 PM »

Ever see a dog with glue traps on all four feet.  Maybe I will take a photo!

Carnut,
Scotties are not often tolerant of cats unless they grow up with them.  And yes, they can do some major damage with their very strong long jaws.

Last cat I had was Persian and didn't know what a mouse was.  But then one of the Yorkies, who were bred to kill them, kept looking under a end table and wagging his tail and looking back at me and wagging his tail some more and smiling.

Yep, a mouse!  Was just this time of year also and scared me to death.  He was just too friendly of a dog.  These two mean business, they just can't find them.  I believe there to be more than one now.  One could never make this much trouble.  Of course, now I am imagining them where they are not and what if the walls are just full of them like in Willard?   Shocked

MeMere, thanks, I will keep reading and trying what I can.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »

Quote from: "Anna"
Much to my horror, at least one mouse seems to have escaped and made its way into the rest of the house!   Shocked I have two Yorkies and my best Westie hot on the trail but the problem is that it is making such a mess as it goes from room to room.

I will never get this all cleaned and put back in order.  I am like a mad woman jerking things out of cabinets and buffets!

No time to install new mailbox from where the local juvenile delinquents hit my last one, third one in about that many years for I have this horror of this mouse.  What if it has more mice babies???

I am afraid it is in the main bathroom now, away from the laundry room entirely, which is yet another set of towels and sheets, etc.  Also large line closet and another closet with shelves with all kinds of things on it.
Hair care products, cleaning products, etc.  All going to have to come off the shelves looking for evidence the mouse has been there.

I can't find copper wool, only steel.  Someone told me to put out a packet of hot cocoa mix that this is poison to them and also aspartame so I have those all over the place and it isn't having any part of them.  Think it is stealing dog kibbles right from under our noses instead.  Or when we are asleep.  Hope to go to feed store this afternoon for major assistance.  But I can't use poison because of the dogs.  The dogs who behave almost as hysterically as I do.

But I am sort of afraid to go to sleep. . . .what if it got on the bed with me or bit me?  Have two Yorkies stationed guard but they sleep very soundly.

Have taken out eight drawers in the bathroom and there they were. . . mouse droppings under the bottom one.  I knew it!!

Sad

Mousetraps with cheese or peanut butter will get them. Ya really don't want to put poison in the house, ya might not like the smell of dead putrifying mice in places you can't get to.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 04:46:09 PM »

Gee I wish I could fly in and help....   Wink

Seriously, there is a product called Pest-A-Cator

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/pestacator

It is available at drug stores, department stores such as Walmart, Target and hardware stores.  We have it plugged into an outlet in the garage.  It sends a signal throughout the wiring in the house.  (we have only one story) and it keeps the mice away and drives them out.  The signal does not interfere with pets (unless you have gerbils or hamsters) computers, telephones or other home appliances.

The peanut butter idea may be a good one also because this will drive anything in the house out into the open to begin with and then keep them away.

hope this helps.   It has here.   We have been using the 2000 model for 6 years and have had to reoccurring problems.   The unit is still working.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 05:08:55 PM »

You could always call in a pest control company, but they use traps too.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 05:23:30 PM »

Anna ~ GreatOwl is right on the money about those sensor thingys.
We have a huge ranch in back of our subdivision, and there are always mice....whenever they get the nerve to invade us, we just use those sensors and they're history!

By the way, we have a Scottie, and the only thing she's interested in is chasing cats ~  I guess the mice aren't worth the effort!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes ~
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 10:10:24 PM »

Oh Anna,  

I will probably not sleep tonite just thinking of your horror.  As you know, I had field mice earlier in the year... I am so sorry!

FYI, I used one of those high frequency things once and it affected my dog Haley.... she went nuts - guess she could hear it/feel it??? Scarey..  so if you go there - just watch your dogs' behaviors.  (sorry)

The visual of the dog with the glue traps on all 4 feet was too much.

My dog Annie caught a mouse this summer- you want to borrow her?   Laughing Can you move the dogs outside (take them for a long ride?) while someone with cat or CATS comes in and goes hunting?

Man, the bathroom linens is just too close to home.  And you can't do regular poison.... have you called a pro to see what they SAY?  How about an extension service?  Sometimes we can get free help or at least advice from them.  

Good luck and you gotta keep us posted.

Hugs!
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 04:46:51 AM »

I read all the good suggestions above that came from Monkeys who know about mice and stuff. I am horrified. If this happened to me, I would call a professional pest controller/exterminator immediately. No fooling around with traps and glue.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 09:19:52 AM »

Anna,

I feel for you because I hate mice.  We used to get a couple mice every year towards the fall/winter.  I hated it because I couldn't figure out where they were coming from.  I used the glue traps and would put them against the wall near certain interior doors.  Mice like to run along the walls.  Finally I realized how they were coming in and told my mom and of course she said no there not.  They were getting through the screen door in my patio.  Well I got so pissed off that I replaced the doors with solid doors in my patio and ta da no more mice.  Also check your dryer vent opening.

Speaking of clue traps one time there was a mouse stuck on one and when I opened the door to go into the patio my dog ran past me and put her face on the trap trying to get the mouse Shocked   Then she ran back in the house with the trap and mouse stuck to her.  We all scattered trying to get away from her Laughing
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.