March 28, 2024, 09:45:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ISSUES and BAGGAGE  (Read 13863 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 04:09:07 PM »

Anna is having a tough week with the son home post injuries too !

I found this for you Anna!

I continue to stand with the girl.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 04:25:53 PM »

Quote from: "Anna"
Oh, I have three of those electronic sensors.  I think the mice think of it as background music.  

<snip>

Glue traps.  The large ones say for SNAKES or rats and mice.  Now there is quite a visual, isn't it?  A snake on a glue trap?  What exactly would you do with that?

Shameful to snip any of this - Anna, your WIT through all of this is amazing.

You should send some columns to a newspaper. After you're syndicated globally, we'll all remember how you got your start ...

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 04:38:28 PM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
Quote from: "Anna"
Oh, I have three of those electronic sensors.  I think the mice think of it as background music.  

<snip>

Glue traps.  The large ones say for SNAKES or rats and mice.  Now there is quite a visual, isn't it?  A snake on a glue trap?  What exactly would you do with that?

Shameful to snip any of this - Anna, your WIT through all of this is amazing.

You should send some columns to a newspaper. After you're syndicated globally, we'll all remember how you got your start ...

And title it ANNA'S HOUSE! Credit none for this one!

Leslie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2006, 08:36:11 AM »

Some people are TOO rich:
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2006/10/17/wynn-picasso.html

Fox reported...I decided...Click!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2006, 01:16:01 PM »

Quote from: "Leslie"

The plus side for me is that I've known Steve Wynn has Retinitis Pigmentosa and has a foundation set up for research & a cure.  I know first hand what it's like not having peripheral vision & night blindness, but do not have to worry about damaging a Picasso...like my Woman Ironing avatar.  

I worked for a guy who barely graduated HS, who ended up a millionaire before 30...he's in his late 40's now and still making more.  I just see it as being in the right place at the right time...reminds me of a Charlie Brown postcard I once sent to a friend....he said, 'Someday my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be at the airport.'

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »

Anna...Maybe your field mice are related to this one????    Shocked

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2006, 01:43:44 AM »

Ah, only in my dreams.  And he didn't exactly break my heart, more like I caught bronchitis getting soaked at 5 a.m. in torrential downpour with 40 mph gusts, etc. taking him for appointment with orthpedic surgeon.  Seems the lad will be fine if he can just remain relatively still a few more days.  

None, thanks for that nice calm visual.  This is more the sort of thing they actually do when no one is watching and yes, I am serious.  I have seen kids, not mine fortunately, but others, actually do worse.  I am not saying mine has not done worse, only that I have not personally seen it.   Confused But look at all the time they save avoiding stairs like that.

Razz

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2006, 01:59:25 AM »

Quote from: "yapperz1"
Anna...Maybe your field mice are related to this one????    Shocked

Well, that certainly resembles the ones here, yap!   Shocked Now I haven't actually seen helmets but can believe they are that smart.  

Remember I was using the glue traps and was beginning to be afraid they had learned to avoid them the way I have taught the Yorkies finally not to sit or stand on them?  Well, I think the mice listened and learned right along with them but they did disappear.  More or less.

So whatever prompted them to come inside must have told them it was a beautiful day outside and I was beginning to think they just went back out because it warmed back up, etc. when I found something.   Shocked Harvey my lawn mowing man had purchased for me some very strong rat poison to use in a locked shed but I was afraid to use it anywhere near the dogs for fear they would either eat it themselves some way or catch a mouse who had eaten it, etc.  So I had it in a cupboard on the top shelf where none of the dogs could find it, but guess who did??

Right!  The MICE!  They just totally outsmarted their own little selves!  Harvey told me it makes them thirsty or something --half the time I don't know what he is talking about--and they go outside for water?  Well, I was considering using it and was going to read the ingredients to see what it actually contained and when I picked up the bag of it, the bottom was just full of tiny little chewed holes!

GUESS WHO???  It started bouncing all over the floor for it is in little round green pellets that greatly resemble dog food kibbles except for the bright color but dogs being mostly colorblind, I was horrified they were going to wolf it down and so could only grab the dogs and toss them out and slam the door until I could retrieve each and every kibble or pellet.

Now that was truly a heart-stopping moment but finally I was satisfied I had all of them and the big mystery of why the mice relocated is solved.  It was not the weather nor even my strategic placement of the glue traps but they poisoned themselves.

Doesn't that just beat all!   Shocked And naturally one of the sons just had to say poor things were suicidal because of my rejection of them, etc.  Why is there always guilt where children are concerned?  If they can't induce it directly, they will use whatever is at their disposal to do so.

So we are mouseless as far as I can determine and the Yorkies are very good at letting me know if one is about.  Now if I can only get everything put back in place from the total ransacking to find them.  Had I known, I could have just done this with the poison to start with and saved myself all kinds of effort and grief.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2006, 02:10:47 AM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
[

Ha, ha!  And send me fruit baskets to the funny farm?  

You know what they always say--this, too, shall pass?  Problem is that is is usually replaced with something equally stressful or even worse!

Just ready for some down time until this cold leaves!

Thanks for all the advice and support!

PERSONA NON GRATA

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2006, 09:22:17 PM »

Skateboarding.

Anna,

I'm so sorry about your son who got injured.

In 1960, I was in the 10th grade in jr. high school (maybe now it's called middle school?) and skateboards had just arrived in Pasadena, CA. There was a very handsome and popular young student on the football, baseball and basketball teams who was a skateboarder. He was skating down a hillside road and lost his balance and he flipped onto/into a parked car's window which sliced off his right arm between the elbow and the shoulder. In those days, there was no medical technology to re-attach an arm. You can imagine how this impacted the rest of his life.

Fast forward in time. My daughter at 10 (1976) wanted a skateboard. Everyone in the neighborhood had one. I told her what I had seen and never allowed her to have one. She was very angry saying "Oh Mom, I won't crash into a car window." I said, "As if you would have control over that. The guy from the 10th grade didn't crash on purpose. It was an accident and you are not going to have that opportunity, PERIOD."

Fast forward again to 2006. Even though we now have helmets, elbow and knee pads, she will never allow her little boys to skateboard. Instead she channels them into art class, music class, swimming class, karate class, etc.

Anna, I wish your son a quick healing and a lesson well learned.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2006, 09:29:31 PM »

Small issue and small baggage.

I've subscribed to the Sunday Los Angeles Times newspaper for over 20 years. For the past several years, it goes directly from my doorstep into the trash. It costs $2 per issue and I'm wasting my money because I don't read it. I get my news from the computer and TV. Most newspapers are dying. I called the Times and told them I want to unsubscribe. The woman asked "Don't you read the opinion section, how about the calendar section, the parade magazine?" I said no. She continued, "I'm authorized to give you a special discount. How about 75 cents per paper instead of $2? And I'll give you a credit on your next bill for the past billing period." I felt sorry for her and the desperation to keep subscribers so I agreed.

Today I decided to sit on my front stoop and read the damn 75 cents paper cover to cover. I made coffee, took some pillows to put on my cement steps, a small table to put the paper on and my glasses. I left my door open a crack so the cats could see I was out there. It took me four hours. I have a headache, a backache and a butt ache. I don't like the newspaper anymore but it's a lot of "entertainment" for the money and it got me sitting outside instead of inside.

I'd like your opinions. Do you read newspapers? If so, do you subscribe to 7 days or just the Sunday paper? What value does it have to you as opposed to online news and TV news (as in FOX full coverage all day long)?

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2006, 09:45:46 PM »

I only subscribe to the sunday newspaper and only take out the TV guide and use the rest in my fireplace.

The newspaper TV guide is more legible than the TV guide mag and still cheaper.

The TV guide mag website has recently become more readable than it has been in the past so I am referring to it more often now a days, but wouldn't want to have to rely just on it.

I get my news primarily from cable TV news, mostly from FOX.

I read daily news sites on the web including CNN.com, ABCnews.com and cnet.com and a few other more techie sites.

I've tried reading the FOX news website and just find it atrociously designed and just stay away from it.

The Fox news website seems to be designed by the USNEWS newspaper folks.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2006, 11:45:43 PM »

Thank you, George. I forgot about the newspaper TV guide. That itself cost less than the $1.99 I pay for the TV Guide magazine. I can save $1.24 per week ($1.99 - .75 = $1.24 savings per issue) and $64.48 per year. ($1.24 x 52 weeks in a year = $64.48 per year.)  I could use an extra $64 per year.

PS: I don't like the newly designed FOX website either.

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2006, 11:51:55 PM »

Well, gee, Louise on saving money on a fixed income I have bunches of tips.

Being single I don't generate much trash, so, what I don't burn in the fireplace goes into my trash compactor, which only needs emptied about every quarter, so I haul my own trash to the dump and save about $40 a month I think on trash service.

Just guessing on the trash service cost, haven't had trash service for many years, so don't remember how much it cost.

Would you believe I'm doing my laundry right now, just so I can heat my house from my dryer exhaust because it's a bit chilly around here right now.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2006, 11:57:49 PM »

As a preteen, teen and undergrad, I faithfully read the paper and watched television news. I rarely watch tv news anymore, with the exception of when something that is of keen interest to me is being reported (such as Natalee's case). Ever since I got my computer and internet service, the net has been my main source of news, and occasionally the (regular) radio. My office gets a daily paper, and I try to bring it home a few days a week. Justin enjoys reading it. That's about my only use for it. That and to wrap breakables when I moved.  Wink

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2006, 01:08:14 AM »

George:
Over here in my 12 unit apartment building in the city, we take our trash to the dumpster in the back. No other options. Trash collectors come twice a week. The landlady has to pay for that and we do not pay for water. The few preserved houses around my area have fireplaces and it's lovely and fragrant when people start the fires around mid November.

Justins:
Thank you for your input. It sounds to me that your news input is in perfect balance ... the Internet, the radio and the daily paper.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2006, 01:35:16 AM »

Well, I just figured out after two weeks that the TV Mag comes with the Saturday paper. So, after my next statement for the Sunday paper, showing my refund, I will call them and cancel at the end of the next billing cycle. I will not allow them to talk me out of it. If they want to send it for free, I will allow them to do so. Interesting about Red's current front page post on the LA Times.

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.