April 18, 2024, 05:55:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Financial credit from Ford is available, people just need to use it.  (Read 1917 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 14, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »

Money for automakers, not for dealerships

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 03:26 PM CST

By Melanie Ruberti - bio | email

SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) - The auto industry is hurting, including some local car dealers. An economic bailout may be on the way, but many believe more needs to be done to get back on track.

For the past month, business has been picking up at JC Lewis Ford off Abercorn Street. But it's a far cry from what's been going on the past few years.

"Overall, it's probably down 30, 40, 50 percent over that time period," stated JC Lewis Ford president Walter Lewis.

Lewis said they've had to cut expenses and layoff part of their staff. While an economic bailout is good for the three big automakers, Ford, Chrysler and General Motors, Lewis believes it won't really affect the dealerships. It may also have some drawbacks.

Which is what Lewis feels is the real solution to the problem. Give people the confidence to open their wallets and invest in American made cars.

Financial credit from Ford is available, people just need to use it. It's a hope that may be far off, but one Lewis looks forward to more than a government handout.

read the rest here -
http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9352279&nav=menu89_2

Trickle up economics?  Give every American payer of taxes a Visa/Mastercard for maybe $25,000 to buy a new American made car?  Another $100,000 other misc. expenses?

Let's see how far the benefit will trickle up?  Provide a life ring to the average Nick and Nora on Main Street?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:54:58 AM »

WhiskeyGirl, I actually think that's a good idea. Ford is doing lip service about credit though, my daughter has a car financed by them and trust me, you don't want to work with Ford credit.

I worked for GM during the 80's and through to the mid 90's. Once SUV's took hold they stopped investing in new product development, dealers everywhere screamed about it, for IF you had GMC Truck then you were doing well - if you did not, you were sinking fast.

GM hasn't wanted to change, I don't think we need to finance what they should have been doing all along, developing product that could compete with the imports. GM was a great company for many many years, once again greed at the top blinds you and we pay the price as a nation and as employees.

I continue to stand with the girl.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:59:18 PM »

It's a sad thing to see the American auto industry going under but they deserve it.

I once drove a 65 Ford Mustang that I inherited after my step father died. My mother took driving lessons but was a danger on the road. She gave the Mustang to me. I had so much trouble with that car that I will never buy a Ford again. Maybe Ford does better work now but I still have the memory of the rotten car I drove. It cost $2,300 new. I sold it in 1989 for $4,200. I would never ever buy an American car. I prefer Honda. And I just finally paid off my 2002 model after six and 1/2 long and bitter years. This car will last me the rest of my life.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »

I've read over the past few months that Ford has a number of fuel efficient models made outside the US that they do not sell here. 

I have an older Ford that works fine, but still has low mileage and I don't expect to get what I'd get out of a foreign made car.  I plan to keep it.  It was a good deal at the time because I had a family member working at Ford and everyone pretty much bought a Ford because of the discount.

I am looking for better mileage (like 75), 45 plus has been available for many years from non-US automakers.  Ford has those SA cars, but they do not sell them here.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:01:26 PM »

My daughter has a Ford also and it's not given her a moment's trouble in two years. I do not think Ford motor credit is easy to finance through or to contend with - over the last year they call her to push for early pay-off even though she hasn't had a single late payment. All that means is they have either a cash crunch or they think they can coerce customers, or both.

We've had little reason for the US automakers to push fuel efficient products here in the US, so many of us wanted to drive those big ole gas guzzlers and SUV's. I'm pretty sure the emission standards are less across the pond and perhaps some other regulatory demands - I'll try to research that to see if that's a correct assumption?

Even with the Toyota Prius the waiting list and the price both make an ROI on it minimal. So the imports don't necessarily have outstanding options, they just build a reliable product at a lower price sans the union contracts. First thing on Detroit's plate should be to renegotiate those contracts in tandem with eliminating huge exec packages and even golden parachutes. I know everyone in tech is earning roughly 30% less than they did in the late 90's, so why shouldn't impacts hit automotive too in similar fashion?

I continue to stand with the girl.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.