April 16, 2024, 02:06:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barack & Michelle on 60 Minutes  (Read 1620 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 16, 2008, 10:01:47 PM »

Did anyone else watch? I feel sure it will be up on YouTube in a few hours but it was a total loss in terms of gaining any real insights - once again it's all in a smile and a joke for Obama.

I am frankly tired of hearing about Obama's family, his children, his happiness that he's won. Now he needs to put his own life and hold and GET BUSY WORKING OUT ALL OF THESE ISSUES.

Ironically Lincoln is his most favorite former president, the very one who signed the emancipation proclamation to end slavery. This occurred in 1862. One would think 100+ years along with the demands of affirmative action would have settled this score long ago. Nope, not with Jeremiah Wright or the EIGHT THOUSAND members of his church.

How many of you had ancestors here prior to 1862? Not too many I would expect. We ALL migrated to the US in one way or another, some poor and impoverished and working for wages that were one step above slavery. Those individuals had no affirmative action, no free education, no welfare states. Nope they had to work hard and long to build their american dream.

IF we truly are one nation, if we ARE as Obama stated tonight no longer a nation defined by rascism, then I'd like to see him focus on these issues without the assumption that every educated and employed caucasian american isn't "rich".

I continue to stand with the girl.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »

Yup, I watched it.  I am just going to be patient and see what develops.  Right now I am more interested in seeing if the "lame duck" sessions of Congress will make any head way.  Paulson is changing the ground rules and I do think there needs to be a bit more oversight.  I understand the reluctance of some in Congress to resist a bailout now for the automakers, but for them to go bankrupt would really hit the average working person rapidly.  We have already had one auto plant close here in Wisconsin and had other jobs just recently shipped to China.  There is hardly a day that goes by without some company from around my area that doesn't end up laying off people.

I had occasion to be able to read the jobs bulletin board at the local technical College the other day.  this is where many of the displaced workers end up to find a new trade.  There were hundreds of job postings and most were for limited hours and around $8 an hour.  We may be able to get people off the unemployment roles, but I do not see them making it without benefits and a living wage.  JMO

I am fortunate that I have no plans to use my 401k anytime soon.  I know many people I come in contact with are having a very difficult time now living on a fixed income.  Supplemental and Part D prescription premiums and co-pays are jumping about 20 to 30% come the first of the year.  I am not bothered as much as most, but I have even met with my own physician to see where drug changes or other health needs can be modified to fit within a budget.

I can be patient because I do not see any alternative.  I can find all type of volunteer positions at my age, but no one is willing to pay me even 50% of what I was making when I retired 11 years ago.

I planned well, but even my situation leaves me doing less than I though I would be able to do at this stage in life.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.