March 28, 2024, 11:40:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PRO OBAMA THREAD  (Read 3915 times)
crazybabyborg
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:50:33 PM »

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO POST DISCUSSION THAT IS FAVORABLE, HOPEFUL, OR POSITIVE TOWARD PRESIDENT ELECT OBAMA, HIS ADMINISTRATION, POLICIES, OR DECISIONS.

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE IF YOU OPPOSE, OR WORRY ABOUT ANY OF THE ABOVE.

PLEASE HAVE A FREE FLOWING TOPIC ASSORTMENT HERE AND ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR STARTING NEW TOPICS.

SHARE YOUR VIEWS AND OPINIONS WITH THOSE OF LIKE MINDS, UNHINDERED BY THOSE WHO HAVE OTHER VIEWS.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »

"It doesn't matter what you say on TV, what matters is how you look on TV."
~ Richard Nixon, circa 1960 after losing the election to JFK     

I believe that good looks are a gift from God, just like being able to play an instrument, do yoga, dance, sing opera, etc.  It is up to us to pursue our gifts and make the most of what God gave us.

Barack is doing just this. If he looked like Don King and spoke like him, he would never have been elected.   

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:26:05 PM »

The stock market slid further down because it took some time while the Obama cabinet choices were in the works, accepted or denied, fully vetted, etc. It is said the stock market does not like uncertainty. As it was announced this morning that Hillary will be Secretary of State and Bill Richardson will be Secretary of Commerce, the stock market shot up. I gained almost $2K between yesterday's closing bell and today's closing bell. If Obama's choices make me gain economically, then that is the hope and change he promised.   

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:58:58 AM »

The stock market slid further down because it took some time while the Obama cabinet choices were in the works, accepted or denied, fully vetted, etc. It is said the stock market does not like uncertainty. As it was announced this morning that Hillary will be Secretary of State and Bill Richardson will be Secretary of Commerce, the stock market shot up. I gained almost $2K between yesterday's closing bell and today's closing bell. If Obama's choices make me gain economically, then that is the hope and change he promised.  

I hope that the lasting change to come out of the stock market slump is that some stocks won't be over valued/bubble type investments. 

Were those companies really worth all that money people had invested in them?  Someone made money on them and someone last money one them.  Probably some gained and lost at the same time.

How long will the adjustment last? 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
crazybabyborg
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 10:24:51 AM »

I think Louise's observations are correct. The markets don't like uncertainty. There is also speculation that Obama's choice for Treasury Secretary is someone that Wall Street likes.

Published: 11.21.2008

Stocks jump on reports of Obama's pick for Treasury Secretary
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
NEW YORK — Wall Street is ending a volatile week with an unexpected jolt of confidence following reports that President-elect Barack Obama plans to name New York Federal Reserve President Timothy Geithner as Treasury secretary. The major indexes have jumped more than 5 percent, with the Dow Jones industrials surging nearly 500 points.
Stocks have erased about half of the losses that came in steep selling Wednesday and Thursday.
Wall Street appears buoyed by reports that Obama plans to name his economic team on Monday — offering investors some hope of a smooth transition in an uncertain market.
The Dow ended up 494, or 6.5 percent, at the 8,047 level.
The S&P 500 rose about 48 points, or more than 6 percent, while the Nasdaq Stock Market gained 68 points, or about 5 percent.
It wasn't immediately clear whether the market's advance following the report by NBC News was because it was in favor of Geithner as the Treasury nominee, or because investors are looking to pin down as many unknowns as possible about the new administration. In addition, some on Wall Street have grown frustrated with outgoing Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson over his handling of the government's effort to rescue the banking system.
The advance in stocks also came as the FDIC said it would guarantee up to $1.4 trillion in U.S. banks' debt for more than three years as part of the government's financial rescue plan. The directors of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. voted Friday to approve the plan, which is meant to break the crippling logjam in bank-to-bank lending.
Ahead of the report on Geithner, stocks had fluctuated Friday as Wall Street took a break from the heavy selling of recent days. Energy, utility and technology stocks showed some advances, but bank stocks declined sharply.
Stocks struggled to take a direction in early trading, then moved cautiously higher midday, but pulled back later in the afternoon in another erratic session that has become the norm on Wall Street. Stocks didn't move sharply higher until after the report that Obama would tap Geithner.
Some advancement had been expected during the session following two days of steep declines. On Thursday, the Standard & Poor's 500 index fell 6.7 percent to its lowest close since April 1997, while the Dow Jones industrial average fell 445 points, or 5.6 percent, to its lowest finish since March 2003.
With the steep pullbacks this week, the Dow began Friday's session down 43.1 percent this year, while the S&P 500 index — a benchmark for the overall U.S. stock market — was down 48.8 percent. The Nasdaq composite index has lost 50.4 percent this year.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/printDS/268305

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 02:35:15 PM »

It will be interesting to see if there is sustainable growth in the market as the cabinet choices continue to be named.  We have fallen a great deal and given past history it will probably take as long as two years for the market to recover completely.  I am hoping it does not take longer than that.  I hate it when I am required to draw money out of my 401K when the returns have dropped off so far.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »

The market could bounce this week on news of Obama’s economic team, his comments today about a massive economic stimulus, and a favorable resolution to the Citibank dilemma.  Any display of leadership or clarification of future policy could help sentiment. However any bounce is likely to be temporary as the market has been having trouble staging multi-day rallies of late.  And there will be a rash of economic reports Tuesday to remind everyone how bad the economy really is. And if the market does not like the Citi solution, watch out below!

This week the Dow crashed through the 7,800 support level set on Oct. 10.  This indicates that we are likely to go lower with the next support level at about 7,000.  The S&P has support at about 710, and it closed at 800 on Friday.  I think there will be more selling before this all over, whether or not we see a near term bounce.  Some experts are calling for a bottom around 600, so this could be extremely ugly. 

I would expect a nice rebound next January when Obama takes office.  There will be lots of activity in Washington in the first 100 days and it might give the market a nice reprieve.  I’m hoping for a “hope” rally at that time.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »

My stock continues to gain.

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »

Please be very careful here Louise.  This market will continue to be extremely volatile.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »

Dear A's,

I am currently selling the stock and I will be happy with whatever I get. I need the money. They say if you need the money now, then sell immediately.

Thank you for your kind warning.   

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »

There are some investment counselors suggesting that if specific stocks have dropped out of sight, that it might be well to cash them out and take that loss as a credit on your 2008 income taxes.  The problem with that is you can only take so much in one year and if you have done it before then you need to stretch the loss over several years of tax returns.  We do have some stock that we will seek advice on.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 07:27:48 PM »

I had to really dig for the Pro-Obama thread, hopefully I will not be the only one to contribute in the new year.  Smile

I saw on TV today that Barack Obama spent time in a shelter for homeless youth.  He was followed around by a number of reporters.  It was a short report.  He was painting walls and asked the reporters what their public service job for today was.  He said something like "You, WSJ, what's your public service for today?"   The WSJ answered "following you around".  To which Obama responded something like "We all have to help out." 

I agree.

I do think Obama missed a golden opportunity...

I would have taken the opportunity to point out to that crowd, that some people may have more time than money, while others have more money than time.  He could have facilitated a collection for something the shelter needed, maybe furniture, or something from their needs or wish list.

He could have involved the reporters in collecting money too.

He could have offered to match what they collected up to say $500...being an advantaged person and all.

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »

KOGELO, Kenya - More than 2,000 Kenyans and tourists united in song and dance Tuesday to celebrate Barack Obama's inauguration in Kogelo, the Kenyan village where the new US president's father was born.

The grounds of Kogelo's school were thronged by Kenyans who took a day off work and donned their best clothes to come from around the Lake Victoria region to watch their hero be sworn in on a giant screen.

A festival kicked off last week in the usually sleepy Rift Valley village which residents now like to describe as "the local capital of the world."

"I'm from Kogelo and this is a happy day. This is an incredible opportunity for us, because a lot of investment will come," said 20-year-old Faith Achieng.

It's already thanks to him we have electricity and water."

Revellers engaged in traditional dances from Obama's Luo tribe as others waved US flags.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/world/obama-inaugural/01/20/09/obama-familys-kenyan-village-party-mode

Is that Pro ? 
Good Luck to Obama.. God help us.
flamom
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »

I am a conservative Republican that voted for John McCain, BUT, I am an American first! I wish our new president well, I WANT him to do well because if he succeeds, we as a country succeeds. I watched the inauguration ceremony today and was moved... we have so much to be thankful for, we have so much at stake. God Bless America, and God Bless our new President, Barrack Obama.

If you can read this thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English thank a soldier..
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 05:48:39 PM »

I am a conservative Republican that voted for John McCain, BUT, I am an American first! I wish our new president well, I WANT him to do well because if he succeeds, we as a country succeeds. I watched the inauguration ceremony today and was moved... we have so much to be thankful for, we have so much at stake. God Bless America, and God Bless our new President, Barrack Obama.

Amen, I share your prayer.
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 09:38:41 PM »

I am a former left wing Canadian. The former is the serious left wing stuff.
I watched most of the address and the speech from work. I printed it off and we all read it at my work. I was very moved and was almost in tears. I hope that eveyone is like you and gets behind your new President. Put the rhetoric aside and work towards a better North America.
The USA leads and the rest of the world will follow and I think that there was jubilation across the continents today because of that. I am going to watch the BBC news later to see what the reaction was across the pond.   
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »

To me, the inauguration was fabulous. It is still going on tonight as the President visits various balls.

caesu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »

frontpage Dutch newspaper:

Black Jesus has landed 

but now he has to preform miracles like fix the:
- economy
- environment
- world

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »

I am so sick of hearing that Obama is the Chosen One and/or the Black Jesus.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.