March 28, 2024, 10:47:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nadia Kersh, 23 missing 11/3/08 HomeWood AL  (Read 25775 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 07:54:44 AM »

Police: Man killed missing Homewood woman
May 5, 2010

HOMEWOOD -- Authorities have made an arrest in the case of a Homewood woman who went missing more than two years ago.

Homewood police Tuesday announced the arrest of 27-year-old Joacquas Timothy Haywood. He's charged with the murder of Nadia Kersh, who was 23 when last seen Nov. 3, 2008, leaving her job at Tria Market in Homewood. She failed to pick up her young son from day care.

Her body was never found. Haywood has been charged with capital murder because authorities believe Kersh's death occurred during a burglary. Neither police nor Jefferson County District Attorney Brandon Falls would further provide details.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20100505/NEWS02/5050369/1009/Police-Man-killed-missing-Homewood-woman

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/05/suspect_charged_with_murder_of.html
Suspect charged in murder of Nadia Kersh heads to first court appearance today
By Jeremy Gray -- The Birmingham News
May 06, 2010, 7:11AM
A first call is scheduled for 10 a.m. today for an Irondale man charged with capital murder in the case of missing Homewood mother Nadia Kira Kersh.

¨Jefferson County District Judge Sheldon Watkins will ask whether Joacquas Haywood, 27, understands the charge he faces and whether he has an attorney, said District Attorney Brandon Falls.

¨Haywood's defense attorney, Eric Guster, said his client is innocent. "We don't really know if this woman's dead," Guster said of Kersh, who disappeared Nov. 3, 2008.¨

Guster claimed Falls is pursuing the case now to improve his chances of being elected to a full term.

In 2008, Gov. Bob Riley appointed Falls to replace retiring Jefferson County District Attorney David Barber. Falls is running unopposed in the Republican primary.

"That is absolutely not true," Falls said of Guster's allegations.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20004421-504083.html

Nadia Kersh Update: Arrest Made in Case of Missing Ala. Mother
May 7, 2010

OMEWOOD, Ala. (CBS/AP) Police have made an arrest in the case of missing mother Nadia Kersh, who disappeared more than two years ago.

Police Tuesday announced the arrest of 27-year-old Joacquas Haywood. According to CBS affiliate WIAT, Haywood is an acquaintance of Kersh. He is charged with her murder.

Kersh was 23 when last seen Nov. 3, 2008, leaving her job at Tria Market in Homewood, Ala., south of Birmingham. It was first noticed that she was missing when she failed to pick up her young son from day care.

Haywood has been charged with capital murder, because authorities believe Kersh's death occurred during a burglary. Neither police nor Jefferson County District Attorney Brandon Falls would provide details, though they are confident the woman was murdered.

Kersh's body has never been found.

Kersh's mother, Nancy, hopes the arrest will bring new information that could lead to her daughter.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »

VIDEO: Nadia Kersh murder case heading to grand jury

Updated: May 27, 2010

BIRMINGHAM, AL- Digital Journalist Jon Paepcke icovered a hearing for Joacques Haywood. He is a suspect in the Nadia Kersh case.

Here are some of Jon’s tweets from Twitter:

Judge Sheldon Watkins bound the case over to the grand jury.

Kersh’s friend testified that Kersh had relationships with multiple men, including a Homewood police officer.

Finch said he knows that Kersh is missing and that based on the evidence her life ceased on November 3, 2008.

Finch said they were still testing cell phone records from Kersh’s ex-boyfriend, who is not a suspect.

Guster claimed Finch had any evidence that she is dead. Finch countered that he feels he has overwhelming evidence she was murdered.

Guster: “They could not positively identify Joac Haywood? Finch: That’s correct.“

Finch admits that he waited 4 months to record a statement from Kersh’s neighbors who said they saw a man matching Haywood’s description.

The purse was located about halfway between Kersh’s Homewood apartment and where her car was found in west Birmingham.

Finch: Haywood’s fingerprints were found in Kersh’s purse which was found near some railroad tracks.

Finch: Evidence found in Kersh’s car was inconclusive.
Finch said FBI forensic results which came back recently were inconclusive regarding a specific suspect in Kersh’s disappearance/murder.

Finch: “He hung his head and looked down and after a couple of seconds said, ‘That’s insane.‘“

Police confronted Haywood with cell phone records which contradicted his story about his whereabouts.

Haywood told police Kersh’s ex-boyfriend must have set him up.

Homewood police Sergeant Doug Finch: They found clothing in Haywood’s SUV that matched the description of what neighbors said a suspect looked like.

http://www2.nbc13.com/vtm/news/local/article/joacquis_haywood_hearing_updates/156248/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 09:53:05 AM »

Prosecutors to seek grand jury indictment for capital murder in case of missing Homewood woman
By Eric Velasco -- The Birmingham News
May 27, 2010, 11:22PM

A capital murder charge against Joacquas Haywood was bound over to a Jefferson County grand jury today in a case in which a Homewood mother disappeared in 2008 and her body has not been found.

District Judge Sheldon Watkins said prosecutors gave enough evidence in a preliminary hearing to seek an indictment against the 27-year-old Irondale man.

Nadia Kersh, 23, disappeared Nov. 3, 2008, after going to her Homewood apartment on a lunch break from her nearby job. Police were called after she did not pick up her 1-year-old son from day care that night.

Kersh's car was found in west Birmingham the next day and her purse was found in west Birmingham three days after she disappeared, Sgt. Doug Finch, a Homewood police detective, testified today.

Defense lawyer Eric Guster noted that police had no physical evidence such as DNA or signs of a struggle at Kersh's apartment to tie Haywood to a homicide. Guster also questioned whether Kersh was dead.

"I think we have overwhelming evidence she is dead," Finch said.

Haywood had been dating Kersh around the time she disappeared. He told Homewood police he had not seen her since early October 2008, Finch testified.

But police found Haywood's fingerprint on nine items in Kersh's purse, including receipts dated in late October 2009.

Haywood also said he had been in Irondale the entire day of Nov. 3, 2008. Haywood's cell phone records, however, showed his phone made or received calls in the Homewood area around the time Kersh was last seen, and in the west Birmingham area that mid-afternoon, Finch testified.

An elderly couple who lived downstairs from Kersh told police they had seen a man in a black SUV park in front of Kersh's apartment, then go inside.

Kersh arrived soon and went to her apartment, Finch testified. Then the couple heard a crash and a "yelp," Finch testified.

The couple later saw the same man at Kersh's car, with the trunk open, before he drove off in her car, Finch testified.

Haywood's black SUV had clothing similar to what the couple said the man wore, Finch testified.

Haywood's mother, who sobbed when her son was led into the courtroom, became animated when Finch said a videotaped statement of the couple wasn't made until four months after Haywood's arrest. It was consistent with what the couple said in an interview the day after Kersh disappeared, Finch testified.

The mother also reacted visibly when a friend of Kersh testified that the Homewood woman had mentioned several men as friends or lovers, including an unnamed Homewood police officer who the friend put in the former category.

"No one from the department has been linked during this investigation to Nadia Kersh," Finch testified.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/05/prosecutors_to_seek_grand_jury.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »

Kersh family gathers for a bittersweet birthday to help find Nadia
Updated: July 16, 2010

The family of a missing Homewood mom will gather this weekend for a bittersweet celebration.  Nadia Kersh was last seen November 3rd, 2008 on surveillance video in the parking deck of SoHo Square.  She had just left her job at Tria Market.  She was reported missing when she didn’t show up at her son’s daycare to pick him up.  Two months ago, Homewood police arrested the man they say killed Kersh.  27-year-old Joacquas Timothy Haywood faces capital murder and burglary.  Detective Doug Finch says he expects the case to go before a grand jury in August.  Kersh’s body has never been found.

Kersh’s 25th birthday is this weekend.  Her mother, Nancy, and her little brother, John, sat down with us to talk about how they are using Nadia’s birthday as a chance to get the word out that she is still missing.

http://www2.nbc13.com/vtm/news/local/artic...d_nadia/166909/

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »

They certainly better  I guess they should pray for him Rolling Eyes

Vigil set for man accused in the case of missing Homewood mother Nadia Kersh
Published: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 3:45 PM   

The family of a man charged with capital murder in the case of a missing Homewood mother will hold a vigil Sunday to show their support for him.

Joacquas Haywood, 27, was indicted Aug. 26 in the death of Nadia Kersh, 23, who disappeared in November 2008 but whose body has never been found.

Haywood, of Irondale, has been jailed in the case since May. His mother, Latonia Haywood, said her son is innocent and the victim of election-year politics.

"He's just not the vicious person everybody thinks he is," his mother said. "He wants people to know that."

Kersh vanished after going to her Homewood apartment on a lunch break from her nearby job. Police were called after she did not pick up her 1-year-old son from day care that night.

Kersh's car was found in west Birmingham the next day and her purse was found in west Birmingham three days after she disappeared.

Police said Haywood had been dating Kersh around the time she disappeared. Investigators have said they found Haywood's fingerprint on nine items in Kersh's purse and said his cell phone records indicate he was in Homewood and west Birmingham the day she disappeared despite his statement that he was in Irondale the entire day.

A couple who lived downstairs from Kersh said they saw a man in a black SUV park in front of Kersh's apartment that day and then go inside. Kersh arrived soon and went inside. The couple reported hearing a crash and a "yelp." Haywood's black SUV had clothing similar to what the couple said the man wore.

Latonia Haywood said the vigil, set for 1 p.m. at Linn Park, is important to let her son know they believe in him. Representatives from the NAACP and civil rights foot soldiers will attend, she said.

"The longer he is in jail, the more stressed he is," she said. "He said, 'they think I am this monster."'

Latonia Haywood said her son and Kersh were just friends.

"Nadia was close to me," she said. "He had no reason to harm her. They don't have a motive."

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/09/vigil_set_for_man_accused_in_t.html

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/10/mother_of_man_charged_with_cap.html
Mother of man charged with capital murder in Nadia Kersh disappearance holds vigil
Published: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 2:50 PM     Updated: Sunday, October 03, 2010, 3:31 PM
he mother of a man charged in the death of a missing Homewood mother held a vigil at Linn Park this afternoon, proclaiming his innocence and making a plea for help with her son's legal bills.

"My son is not a murderer," said LaTonia Haywood.
Her son, Joacquas Haywood, 27, was jailed in May and later indicted with capital murder in the death of 23-year-old Nadia Kersh, who disappeared in November 2008. Her body has never been found.

LaTonia Haywood, along with a few family members, on Sunday put up posters at Linn Park, near the county jail in downtown Birmingahm where her son is being held. The posters included phrases such as "Justice 4 Joacquas" and "How can they convict Joc? Fact: No DNA, No Body, No Motive."

LaTonia Haywood said she needs more money to get a legal team together to defend her son. She said she believes his prosecution is political and the case is a black and white issue. Her son is African American while Nadia Kersh is Russian, she said.

A local civil rights leader also attended the vigil to support LaTonia Haywood.

Hezekiah Jackson, president of the Metro Birmingham Branch of the NAACP, said the facts of the case will be played out in the courtroom.

But Jackson questioned how some one is selected for prosecution, and the way they are treated while in the criminal justice system. He said he believes the color of someone's skin does come into play.
We just want the playing field to be level regardless of the color of the skin or
economic conditions," Jackson said.

Most people who are of color or economically challenged don't feel they will be treated fairly in the criminal justice system, Jackson said.

Jackson said he believes the nation's criminal justice system is great, but at the end of the day it is governed by humans "who bring their prejudices to the table."

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »

http://www2.alabamas13.com/news/2010/nov/03/two-years-missing-homewood-mother-was-last-seen-ar-1049043/
Two years since missing Homewood mother was last seen
11/03/10
BIRMINGHAM — Wednesday marks two years since a Homewood mother was last seen.

Nadia Kersh was last spotted leaving her job in Homewood on November 3rd, 2008.

Kersh was reported missing when she never showed up to pick up her son from daycare.

Back in May, Joacquas Haywood was charged with capital murder in the case, even though Kersh's body was never found.

A remembrance for Kersh is being held tonight at Vulcan at 6:30 rain or shine.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »

http://www.myfoxal.com/Global/story.asp?S=13462756
Preliminary hearing begins in Kersh murder case
Posted: Nov 08, 2010 8:41 AM CST Updated: Nov 08, 2010 8:41 AM CST

HOMEWOOD, AL (WBRC) - A court hearing takes place Monday for a man accused of killing a Homewood woman.

Investigators have not found her body, but they did find enough evidence to charge a suspect in the death of Nadia Kersh. Homewood police arrested Jocquas Haywood in May of this year.

Kersh disappeared in 2008. She was last seen on surveillance video leaving work to go to lunch. When she never showed up to pick up her child from daycare, authorities were notified. 

Monday's proceeding will be a pre-trial hearing. Prosecutors plan to pursue a capital murder case even without Kersh's body.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »

http://www.myfoxal.com/Global/story.asp?S=13462756
Trial date set in Kersh murder case
Posted: Nov 08, 2010 8:41 AM CST Updated: Nov 08, 2010 3:45 PM CST
Click image to enlarge

HOMEWOOD, AL (WBRC) - A trial date has been set for a man accused of killing a Homewood mother.

Monday, a judge set April 18 as the beginning of the capital murder trial against Jocquas Haywood. Haywood was arrested in May in connection with the death of Nadia Kersh.

Prosecutors said they planned to pursue capital murder charges, even though Kersh's body has not been found.  They say they did find enough evidence to arrest and charge Haywood.

Kersh disappeared in 2008. She was last seen on surveillance video leaving work to go to lunch. When she never showed up to pick up her child from daycare, authorities were notified. 

During Monday's pre-trial court hearing, Haywood also changed his attorney.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/02/new_search_underway_for_nadia.html
New search under way for Nadia Kira Kersh
Published: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 2:42 PM     Updated: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 5:27 PM

A new search is under way today for missing Homewood mother Nadia Kira Kersh, Homewood police said.

A volunteer search and rescue group wanted to search an area of Lakeshore Parkway, not far from Alabama 150, said Sgt. Doug Finch.

The area, which has several lakes and ponds, has been searched numerous times before, but the group wanted to bring in dogs to look again, Finch said.

There was no new information that prompted the search, which Finch said will likely continue Sunday and possibly Monday.
<snipped>

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2011, 06:34:45 PM »

http://www2.alabamas13.com/news/2011/aug/29/charges-dropped-against-suspect-nadia-kersh-disapp-ar-2337274/
Charges dropped against suspect in Nadia Kersh disappearance
By: Mike Royer
Published: August 29, 2011
Joacquas Haywood, who was charged with capital murder in the death of Nadia Kersh of Homewood will be released from the Jefferson County Jail Monday.

In court today, the state informed the judge that they would request that all charges be dropped against Haywood. 

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/08/jefferson_county_judge_drops_c.html
Judge drops capital murder charge in case of Nadia Kersh, Homewood mother missing since 2008
Published: Monday, August 29, 2011, 4:30 PM     Updated: Monday, August 29, 2011, 4:51 PM

::snipping2::
Haywood, 28, was expected to be released from the Jefferson County Jail this evening, said one of his lawyers, Alaric May.

"We are happy for Mr. Haywood and his family," said May, whose co-counsel is Robin Beardsley Mark. "We do not believe the case should ever have been brought, with the lack of evidence out there. I'm glad the prosecution finally did what was the right thing to do."

Prosecutors sought the trial delay after discovering earlier this month that two pieces of evidence had not been tested for DNA at an FBI laboratory, as had been requested, said Brandon Falls, the district attorney.

Failure to test those items -- which could either point to or exclude the defendant at the killer -- could have been an appealable issue, Falls said.

"We made the decision that if the judge would not continue the case, we would make certain those items were tested before going forward," he said.

Prosecutors have the right to refile the capital charge against Haywood if more evidence surfaces.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »

http://www.abc3340.com/story/15364009/search-and-rescue-teams-hunt-for-new-clues-to-find-nadia-kersh
Search and rescue teams hunt for new clues to find Nadia Kersh
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 10:46 PM CDT Updated: Aug 30, 2011 10:46 PM CDT
By Sarah Snyder - email

BIRMINGHAM - AL -

She disappeared almost three years ago, but the search for new evidence is just heating up. New clues about Nadia Kersh may be surfacing and they're showing up just after a suspect in the case was released.

Dusty is one of several dogs trained to track down evidence. And so far he seems to be doing a pretty good job.

"He gave us an indication that the area we're searching now, which is one of the leads, makes us think we're in the right place," Chris Cantrell, Walker County Search and Rescue said.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »

http://www.abc3340.com/story/15364009/search-and-rescue-teams-hunt-for-new-clues-to-find-nadia-kersh
08/30/2011
"We made the decision we would dismiss the charges and do everything we could to test those pieces of evidence and get them back," Brandon Falls, Jefferson Co. District Attorney said. "Once we have that, we'll make a decision whether to file new charges in the case."

But the search and rescue team believe, they're onto something new. In fact, weather permitting, they may have vital new evidence within the next month. Some news that's comforting to the Kersh family.

"One thing we have found working with different families is that it's the biggest comfort somebody's not giving up," Angie Cantrell, Walker Co. Search and Rescue said. "Somebody is still looking and that's all they ask for - is just to look."

On their site, "Help Find Nadia dot com" Nadia's mother asks if anyone has information to come forward and they are desperately still searching for her.

Right now, forensic testing will be done on Kersh's purse and car. The district attorney says they hope to have those results by November or early December. At that point, they'll decide whether or not to re-submit the case.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 08:13:20 AM »

This morning a local station mentioned divers being used in a search area.Didn't say where.

~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »

Haywood is from Irondale

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/20689800/iron...und-as-homicide

Irondale PD investigate skeletal remains found as homicide

By Brianne Britzius
IRONDALE, AL (WBRC) -
Irondale police have confirmed to FOX6 News that they
are investigating human remains found in the woods as a homicide.

The remains were discovered near the Eastwood Mobile Home Village on Alton Road. Detective Michael Mangina says Police were called to the area around 6:30 p.m. Thursday after a hiker discovered a skull and a bone.

Investigators currently have to hike 200 to 250 yards downhill to reach the area where the remains were discovered.

snipped

cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2013, 04:25:28 PM »

Haywood is from Irondale

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/20689800/iron...und-as-homicide

Irondale PD investigate skeletal remains found as homicide

By Brianne Britzius
IRONDALE, AL (WBRC) -
Irondale police have confirmed to FOX6 News that they
are investigating human remains found in the woods as a homicide.

The remains were discovered near the Eastwood Mobile Home Village on Alton Road. Detective Michael Mangina says Police were called to the area around 6:30 p.m. Thursday after a hiker discovered a skull and a bone.

Investigators currently have to hike 200 to 250 yards downhill to reach the area where the remains were discovered.

snipped
The article says the body is a male.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »

O  ty

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.