March 29, 2024, 06:17:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do Y'all think?  (Read 8750 times)
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 05:35:11 PM »

I also feel that frustration, None. I wonder sometimes if my kids will be misfits, because I have taught them to be kind, honest, ethical and loyal, and to never use someone, or be manipulative. It's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 06:47:47 PM »

Let me take a deep breath and tell you that I Love Your Minds, you monkeys....!!!  We are listening to folks from across the country....sharing their thoughts about life, liberties and raising children.....what a great forum this is......thanks..... Very Happy

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 10:32:16 PM »

Embarassed thanks MeMere, I guess the weekend was still fresh in my mind. I fixed dinner for a crowd at son's, had to listen to one player tell some real big fish stories to a young girl who came from Ohio to see him.

She had stars in her eyes, I think he had deceit on his mind? It still sticks with me.........I hope Louise understands this is why I felt so strongly about it. She's a smart girl too, she was helping him with a paper or rather writing most of it for him?

Crying or Very sad it's so WRONG and son isn't too big for me to stop him from doing such and I'm grateful he's not a liar.

I continue to stand with the girl.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 12:20:37 AM »

Nonesy and Carnut,

I want to apologize. I know that Nerds are often depicted as having a lack of social skills. During my college years in Pasadena, it was well known there were Brainiacs over at Cal Tech but they couldn't get girlfriends.

I was giving the nerds too much credit.

Nonesy, between us friends, let's not let any discussion come between us. I didn't mean to sound heated. You are more important to me than the discussion. It's just a topic on a computer board where we discuss issues. Friendship is far more important and deeper than that. I love you.

PS: Car, you rock. Brains are sexy, aren't they?

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 12:53:20 AM »

Louise-

You are kind and forgiving, thank you. I just shouldn't have stepped into that one, I was an egghead in high school myself and the dreaded "nice girl" too.  Laughing

Hugs and love to you as well  Very Happy I value your friendship very much.

I continue to stand with the girl.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 12:10:20 PM »

Having been formerly married to a "nerdy engineer" for quite a few years, and living in a city of nerds - scientists, engineers and technical geeks of all kinds, I can safely say that there is some truth to the belief that they lack social skills. We have one of the highest divorce rates in the US, and the highest in the state. There is very little social life here because this is a town of introverts, and what is there is very superficial. Young women don't stay here because the guys don't date much. It's a pretty boring place to live if you don't like gadgets as a social outlet. It's hard to connect with the people here, because they just don't like social inteaction that much. I realize it is a generality to some degree, but it is also true, and is even commented on here all the time in the news media. People know it, and laugh about it.
But I don't see them being used as much as they are the users. They are very smart, so don't think most of them are not aware of what using people is all about. I think the nerds use their brain power as a bargaining tool in some cases.
But using people who are unaware, for any reason ,is just sickening.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 12:01:40 PM »

Carnut,
A yearbook should be just that and reflect the year's activities at the school both academic and extra-curricular and in proportion with one not excluding the other.

And a yearbook should never be tacky and something about which a person would someday want to hide from their children because of it being rife with tasteless articles on trashy fads of the day.  Yes, we would have loved to have included our own but thank goodness we had advisors who kept things on a little more even keel.

I am always amazed at our concepts of what happens in different regions of the country but do think we are all pretty much the same and I don't see one section as so much more progressive than the others for we have the great equalizer of television and kids especially are aware of fads, etc.  And no, they don't all start on the West Coast and I'd think are pretty well evenly disbursed over the country just as are personal automobiles and refrigeration, lol!  If you know where to look, every city has it's little smattering of Goth, tattooed kids, piercings, emos and all the rest.  Some of us just don't really celebrate them as much as others, however.

And as for advising kids to use others, that is just bad advice period.  Pdh3 you must be from the Huntsville area, too, lol!!  No matter who is doing the using, it is still wrong.

That law that Kansas has giving students the right of free speech without administrative interference is also questionable as minors don't normally have that right for a very good reason and I think it might have been originally intended for students at the university level.  I certainly hope so for there are few things worse than 14-15 year olds being allowed to think their view of the world is anywhere close to accurate.  They don't yet know they haven't lived long enough to know much of anything and think they know everything.  Guidance is very much needed through those high school years.

Moderate values would be more desirable and have longer lasting value than allowing any extremes to overtake the yearbook.  No one wants to look back thirty years from now and see everything extreme and negative about their formative years and be reminded how foolish is youth!  We already know, no documentation required.  If the school wants the support of the parents for yearbook purchases, they need to teach that valuable lesson in retailing to the kids as well.  It applies to far more than yearbooks, sales of things and to life in general.  

P.S.  I left you a funny in the Test thread.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 01:24:54 PM »

Anna - I  do live in a suburb of the Rocket City. How funny that you'd know exactly what I meant. Laughing

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.