April 17, 2024, 11:10:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historic Economic Crisis  (Read 1743 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 25, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »

I've been reading and thinking about the things I've read about the current economic mess.

I think the time for addressing the financial mess created by loans/mortgages happened a long time ago.  How many years have finance businesses (like Citi, AIG, etc.) known/recognized a problem?  Recognized all this bad business and did nothing to stop it?  Just kept collecting fees, passing out bonuses, and merit increases?

What about the reforms some in Congress looked at in 2005/2006?  Not enough votes to address the problem?  Was there some thinking that this lifestyle could continue forever?  Maybe they were planning the financial collapse of the US?  Somehow this was a just thing?  A fairness issue? 

How long will the new administration continue with tired old ideas? 

Obama asks urgent action on 'historic' economic crisis

By Beth Fouhy and David Espo, Associated Press
Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bush said his administration's dramatic overnight rescue of Citigroup Inc. was necessary to safeguard the nation's financial system and help the economy recover. He said more such moves might follow if other institutions need help. Officials said the government might invest $20 billion in the firm, and guarantee $306 billion in risky assets.

What is the management of these companies adding to keep the business afloat?  Are they digging deep into their pockets?

He blended criticism of Detroit's beleaguered Big Three automakers — General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC — with a pledge of support for government aid to help them survive. "We can't allow the auto industry to ... vanish," he said, although he added that a blank check for an industry resistant to change was not the solution to its long-term decline.

How long can the industry continue by itself?  How long can the industry survive even with a check that comes with strings attached?

...Still, he said he would be looking for "meaningful cuts and sacrifices" to restrain federal spending.

Where?  Cash to states?  Healthcare?  Entitlement programs?  Schools?

I remember stories from my family members about the first depression.  There was no housing assistance, food stamps or other assistance, healthcare, and any number of other subsidies. 

They ate simple meals, shopped at the thrift store, and made do with less.  There was no tv or radio, electronic games, or computers.  There were no lunchables or frozen cubes.

What did they do?  They worked.  They went to school and did their homework.  They used the library.  They went to church.  They were busy with the everyday tasks of raising a family and making ends meet.  Everyone had a job.  School was important part of everyone's life.

I haven't seen any politician advocating cutting benefits, asking for a freeze on future increases, or asking for people to make do with less. 

People survived the first depression with a lot less.  I was reminded that Al Quaida survives because many people survive on a lot less than the poor in the US.

Democratic officials in Congress said the stimulus plan could include aid to cash-strapped states to provide health care to the poor, along with road and bridge funding. More money for food stamps is also likely, they said.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/nov/25/obama-asks-urgent-action-historic-economic-crisis/

There are many old sayings -

Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without.

Make every dollar do the work of two or three dollars.

Ca$h is King in a depre$$ion.

The US is already broke, and politicians have just begun an orgy of spending.

I think the administration should focus on building economic refugee camps for millions of homeless people.  Something needed for the near future. Will these camps rival those of Africa and the middle east?

How will America feed the homeless?  Will the new administration put something aside for basics like beans and rice?  Toilet paper?

How many new jobs will really be created using the trickle down theory?  Who decides which companies get government contracts?

Will they be giving out money to states for distribution?  Or, will the money 'trickle' down to the state and community level?  Creating new administrative jobs, but few public works?

IIRC, in the first depression, people learned new skills, they moved from their depressed areas and worked for relief - I've met a number of these old people over the years.  They learned to save and spend wisely. 

How many will learn new skills in the current depression?  Anyone? 

Will money stay at the top part of the distribution system?  Maybe keep a few jobs going but providing nothing new for the masses or for their future?  

I think the depression will get a lot worse before it gets better.  At this point, I believe the estimates of 8-10 years before there is any light in the tunnel, and a new beginning.

Is my check for $1 billion in the mail yet?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:14:46 AM »

My Thanksgiving List  

Written by John Nordquist     
Tuesday, 25 November 2008 

With the Thanksgiving season upon us, we should all look at our lives and find the things that we are indeed thankful for.  From the inside looking out, there may be seemingly few things for most Americans to be thankful for.  The economy is in the dumps, joblessness is at a recent high, turmoil continues to reign in the Middle East with no end in sight, and the government inches ever closer to overload control of independent business.  But there are some things on the bright side.  Gas is currently under $2.00 a gallon!  We are still currently producing automobiles in America.  And let’s not forget the most important thing to be thankful for; the Catholic's have finally forgiven John Lennon for statements made over 40 years ago.

Yes, gas is under $2.00 / gallon.

What can we expect when a Washington D.C. that is controlled by Democrats holds the notes to all of these failing businesses?  I’m not sure that selling to the government is any better than selling to China.  Either way you lose all control of your own destiny.  I say, if a business is destined to fail then it must unfortunately be allowed to fail.  That’s a hard reality, but eventually the market will call for a more efficiently run business to take its place in some capacity that is run by individuals who have their own money at stake in the process.  If you let our government “chair the board”, the system of checks and balances goes right out the window and everything we know from “Business 101” is completely altered.  The “pull yourself up by your own bootstraps” theory needs to run its course, and it will have to get worse before it gets better.  The “bail out the big boys” theory is a game we should not play.  ...

Why aren't they investing in the small businesses on Main Street?  Where is the relief for all of those Americans?  Maybe Main Street is expected to continue to pull themselves up by the bootstraps?  Main Street hasn't spent enough, could never spend enough to qualify as one of the big boys?

It's not that Americans were spending to much over the years and building plastic debt, it just that they didn't spend enough to qualify.  I FINALLY GET IT

Do you ever feel like you are getting played?  If the government wants to fix all the evils of the world, then they should tax the hell out of those that make trillions of dollars in a few short months when gas is allowed to jump $ .75 a gallon in one afternoon.

In the US, we bail out the other businesses of those that make millions in gas and oil--Citigroup.  I think we need an empty pockets monkey...   

...I worry about Democratic solutions to Republican mistakes.  President-elect Obama is already gathering a financial brain trust that may garner him control of the entire nation, and asking the Democrats to fix a Republican problem is like asking the army corps of engineers to fix the leak under your sink.  In the end the sink may not leak anymore, but you have to pay $20 every time you want to wash the dishes.  It seems to me to be a classic example of “be careful what you ask for…..”

Is my $1 billion dollar check in the mail yet?  I just need a little something to tide me over the next 8-10 years.

read more here - http://dailykenoshan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7195&Itemid=109

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.