April 25, 2024, 04:48:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching for lost Christmas Recipe !!! help  (Read 5963 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« on: November 28, 2008, 08:43:03 AM »

The is a long shot I know, but I have been searching for an "old" dessert recipe my Grandmother had for Christmas.  I have been searching for over a decade now with no success.  It probably will not help anyone, but it was clipped out of a magazine back in the 40's.  I remember some of it, but just not the correct proportions.  The clipping was lost years ago and the only person who had it committed to memory is not around now.

It called for buying a large 50 cent angel food cake and tearing it into pieces.  It was mixed with portions of lemon jello or pudding.  I remember cutting and grinding up walnuts for it after I cracked them out of the shells.  It contained red and green maraschino cherries and had the top decorated with them.  I know there was a bit of grated orange rind and possibly lemon rind also to give it a tang.  The whole thing then had to be refrigerated to congeal.   

Anyone ever run across this in their browsing through the Christmas magazines??

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
tabandmike
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:14:16 PM »

The is a long shot I know, but I have been searching for an "old" dessert recipe my Grandmother had for Christmas.  I have been searching for over a decade now with no success.  It probably will not help anyone, but it was clipped out of a magazine back in the 40's.  I remember some of it, but just not the correct proportions.  The clipping was lost years ago and the only person who had it committed to memory is not around now.

It called for buying a large 50 cent angel food cake and tearing it into pieces.  It was mixed with portions of lemon jello or pudding.  I remember cutting and grinding up walnuts for it after I cracked them out of the shells.  It contained red and green maraschino cherries and had the top decorated with them.  I know there was a bit of grated orange rind and possibly lemon rind also to give it a tang.  The whole thing then had to be refrigerated to congeal.   

Anyone ever run across this in their browsing through the Christmas magazines??

I've been searching for this recipe for you today.  I know it's a little late but better late than never, right.  Anyway, this is the closest thing I found to what you are looking for.  Hope this is it.

FLOWER GARDEN DESSERT

6 eggs
1½ cups sugar
¾ cup lemon juice
1½ teaspoons lemon rind
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
¼ cup cold water
angel food cake (10 inch)
food colorings

Mix egg yolks and ¾ cup sugar, lemon juice, rind, and cook till thick to form custard. Stir often. Remove from heat. Dissolve gelatin in cold water. Add to custard mix. Let cool. Beat egg whites till stiff with remaining ¾ cup sugar. Fold into cooled custard. Divide mix. Add different food coloring to each one. Tear cake in pieces. Place in 9x13 inch pan. Pour colored mix on top. Do not cover one color with another. Chill. Serve with whipped cream.

I know it doesn't say anything about cherries or walnuts, but you could always add them if this is close to the recipe.

Also, here are a bunch of Christmas recipes
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6925225/100-Simple-Delicious-Recipes-for-your-Special-Christmas-Meals
GramaMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 03:19:45 PM »

Hi ~  I think I know what your looking for, but cannot remember the name.  I think it then goes into a deep bowl, maybe on a pedestal.

Anyhow...if you go to this site.  You can type in ingredients and the site will do a search for you.

www.allrecipes.com

In the meantime, if I can remember what it is called, I will try to locate it for you.

Good Luck

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 03:30:25 PM »

grams...that is a handy website...I just bookmarked it...thanks..

JNGA
Scared Monkey

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:28:16 AM »

This recipe site is a great one

http://www.recipezaar.com/
GramaMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »

grams...that is a handy website...I just bookmarked it...thanks..

Welcome Cookie...hope you and all enjoy.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.