March 28, 2024, 08:55:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Link to the Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 30394 times)
NM
Monkey Junky

« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »

San,
I thought for sure your solution would involve your smiley posse!!!

Anna,
I think your pups need that guy that follows Michael Jackson around covering him w/ an umbrella.

Glenda wrote: "aruba's job was not to babysit Beth's daughter. Beth sent her daughter to swim with the sharks, she is responsible for what ever happened to Natalee." = there is no homicide in aruba, only SUICIDE.  Don't go to aruba if you value your life.
NM
Monkey Junky

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2007, 09:15:19 PM »

Oh yea, Shawn Puffy Combs(?sp), P.Diddy, etc, whatever, also has one of these umbrella carriers.

Glenda wrote: "aruba's job was not to babysit Beth's daughter. Beth sent her daughter to swim with the sharks, she is responsible for what ever happened to Natalee." = there is no homicide in aruba, only SUICIDE.  Don't go to aruba if you value your life.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2007, 08:41:48 AM »

PANDA POOP TO BE MADE INTO PAPER

Process includes boiling, bleaching and drying under the sun

BEIJING - There's a new Chinese saying: When life hands you panda poop, make paper. Researchers at a giant panda reserve in southern China are looking for paper mills to process their surplus of fiber-rich panda excrement into high quality paper.
Liao Jun, a researcher at the Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding Base in Sichuan province, said the idea came to them after a visit to Thailand last year where they found paper made from elephant dung. They thought panda poop would produce an even finer quality paper, he said.
The base is currently in talks with several paper mills on how to turn the droppings of Jing Jing, Ke Bi, Ya Ya and dozens of other pandas at the base into reams of office paper and rolls of wrapping paper, said Liao.
They hope to have a product line available by next year, he said.
"We are not interested in doing this for the profits but to recycle the waste," said Liao. "It's environmentally friendly. We can use the paper ourselves and also we can sell whatever is left over."

The center's 40 bamboo-fed pandas produce about 2 tons of droppings a day, but Liao said he was not sure yet how much paper would result.
What about squeamish customers who might consider the paper unsanitary "People won't find it gross at all," Liao said. "They probably won't even be able to tell it's from panda poop."

The Chiang Mai Zoo in northern Thailand already sells multicolored paper made from the excrement produced by its two resident pandas. Making paper there involves a daylong process of cleaning the faeces, boiling it in a soda solution, bleaching it with chlorine and drying it under the sun

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2007, 08:50:01 AM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"

PANDA POOP TO BE MADE INTO PAPER

Process includes boiling, bleaching and drying under the sun

BEIJING - There's a new Chinese saying: When life hands you panda poop, make paper. Researchers at a giant panda reserve in southern China are looking for paper mills to process their surplus of fiber-rich panda excrement into high quality paper.
Liao Jun, a researcher at the Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding Base in Sichuan province, said the idea came to them after a visit to Thailand last year where they found paper made from elephant dung. They thought panda poop would produce an even finer quality paper, he said.
The base is currently in talks with several paper mills on how to turn the droppings of Jing Jing, Ke Bi, Ya Ya and dozens of other pandas at the base into reams of office paper and rolls of wrapping paper, said Liao.
They hope to have a product line available by next year, he said.
"We are not interested in doing this for the profits but to recycle the waste," said Liao. "It's environmentally friendly. We can use the paper ourselves and also we can sell whatever is left over."

The center's 40 bamboo-fed pandas produce about 2 tons of droppings a day, but Liao said he was not sure yet how much paper would result.
What about squeamish customers who might consider the paper unsanitary "People won't find it gross at all," Liao said. "They probably won't even be able to tell it's from panda poop."

The Chiang Mai Zoo in northern Thailand already sells multicolored paper made from the excrement produced by its two resident pandas. Making paper there involves a daylong process of cleaning the faeces, boiling it in a soda solution, bleaching it with chlorine and drying it under the sun

2 TONS??? Ya know what?? I never thought of those cute little things ever Poo-ing lol
 I don't know how I would feel about the paper though, I guess I would have to REALLY curb my dogs from eating paper at that point. EEWwww
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2007, 03:30:53 PM »

China is letting the National Zoo in Washington keep its cub at least ANOTHER TWO YEARS! Also, interesting info about the money involved in this program.

China Extends Panda Cub's Stay in D.C.

By LUBNA TAKRURI
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Chinese officials on Tuesday granted Tai Shan, the National Zoo's popular giant panda cub, an extra two years at the Smithsonian Institution park with his parents.

Under a panda loan agreement with China, any cub born at the National Zoo would be returned for breeding sometime after its second birthday. Tai Shan turns 2 on July 9 but will remain with his mother Mei Xiang and father Tian Tian at least until 2009.

Chinese Ambassador Zhou Wenzhong presented the zoo with a giant green laminated passport to extend Tai Shan's stay.

"As an envoy of goodwill from the Chinese people and a symbol of friendly cooperation between China and the United States, Tai Shan will continue to bring more happiness and delight to the American people," Wenzhong said.

The cub, now 125 pounds, took a few bites of a celebratory "cake," made of his favorite orange Popsicle and chopped fruit, before the cake rolled down a hill. He soon had both paws on it again and was chomping away.

The zoo's agreement is to give the Chinese government $10 million to keep the adult pandas over 10 years since their arrival in 2000. John Gibbons, a National Zoo spokesman, said that the zoo agreed to pay an additional $600,000 for any cubs born to the pair. The money goes to panda conservation efforts in China. The zoo was not charged any more to extend Tai Shan's stay.

An estimated 2.25 million visitors have gone to the zoo to see the cub since his public debut in December 2005.

---

On the Net:

National Zoo Giant Pandas: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/GiantPandas/

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2007, 06:09:36 AM »

Memphis Zoo has pregnant panda ...

Updated: 7:56 p.m. ET May 23, 2007

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A panda at the Memphis Zoo is definitely pregnant, officials there said Wednesday. Ya Ya, a giant panda, was artificially inseminated in January after she and a male companion failed at mating the old-fashioned way. Since then, the zoo has closely monitored her as the potential due date drew near for the 6-year-old panda.

"I'm excited, but I'm also cautious because we have a long way to go before the birth," said Chuck Brady, the zoo's president.

Panda pregnancies cannot be confirmed until shortly before the delivery date. Gestation lasts about 133 days, which means Ya Ya could give birth soon.

An ultrasound showed that Ya Ya's fetus recently began growing, The Commercial Appeal newspaper reported. After the insemination, she was in a period called a "diapause" in which the fertilized egg doesn't mature in the uterus.

Zoo officials have been watching Ya Ya round the clock this month for behavioral changes such as pacing, agitation and becoming more secluded.

"We've just entered into the growth phase," Brady said. "This is a critical stage, and we'll have to monitor Ya Ya carefully."

She and a male panda, 8-year-old Le Le, are on loan to the zoo from China. Ya Ya and the cub will be off exhibit for about three months, zoo officials say.

Pandas are notoriously poor breeders _ one reason their species is endangered — and females have only three days a year in which they can conceive.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2007, 09:26:46 AM »

Here's a link to a collection of videos of the panda cub and mama.

http://www.ajc.com/multimedia/content/multimedia/video/index.html?clip=23126

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2007, 01:18:18 AM »

For those who enjoyed the Atlanta Zoo panda cam, here is a link to another one, this at the San Diego Zoo.  A panda born there August 3 was recently named Zhen Zhen, or Precious. 

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/ex_panda_station.html
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2007, 08:48:13 AM »

A's,

Thanks for sharing this with us.  I could watch the pandas all day long if I had time.  They are just too cute to be real live animals.  So glad to see them breeding in captivity so well as they have been saved from extinction for sure.
I have been amazed watching the ones in Atlanta at how affectionate the mother and cub are in their playing, etc. 

Had heard about this one but not seen the link so I saved it.  Hope I get some work done today instead of spying on the pandas!

Anna

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.