March 28, 2024, 10:50:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Link to the Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 30442 times)
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2006, 01:54:14 PM »

Here she is getting ready to show off for the Chinese director present for her naming.

She really is full of herself and with good reason!  She is just adorable and seems to know it.

I found this photo and think maybe it is in China for no were else on earth would they have so many baby pandas.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2006, 03:54:11 PM »

Oh, Anna, I love that pix of all the cubs ... do you have a link for that? (Would like to see it bigger.)

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2006, 02:10:07 AM »

She has such a sweet face! I'd love to pet and cuddle her!

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2006, 03:21:30 PM »

O/T - Shout Out to Anna & Other Monkey Panda Fans -

Panda Sneeze! (I do not know which pandas these are; maybe "ours" ??? )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtLzvOsQ80k

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2006, 12:44:47 PM »

Thursday, December 21
Mei Lan had her usual health check today. She weighs 13 lbs and is 27.5 inches from her nose to the tip of her tail. Shortly, after the exam this morning, she climbed out of the nest box by herself. This is the first time we’ve seen her do this. Her coordination has improved significantly in the last week and she is now better able to position her rear legs under herself. We placed mats in the nest box to give her more traction when she tries to walk, but Lun Lun has been pulling the mats out and tearing them up. So, the mats haven’t been much of a help. Although the smooth floors make learning to walk challenging, Mei Lan is progressing well and at a normal rate.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Giant Panda Research and Management

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2006, 12:46:41 PM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
Oh, Anna, I love that pix of all the cubs ... do you have a link for that? (Would like to see it bigger.)

No, MsMarple, I don't and I swiped it from tinypicture.com,it was just posted as somebody's most recently added photo with no information.
That is why I am not sure if it is China but think it must be.  That wooden floor doesn't look very comfortable to me but guess their fur is so thick they wouldn't even notice.

PERSONA NON GRATA

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2006, 01:21:11 PM »

Anna-

I saw this and had to bring it to you today  Wink

I continue to stand with the girl.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2006, 01:22:59 PM »

Thanks, None,
She had another wonderful check up yesterday and is trying to crawl out of her nesting box.  Won't be long before she is walking!   Very Happy

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2006, 09:57:49 AM »

Does anyone else get the impression that our little girl is in fact very large for her age?  And full of herself?  I think she is very precocious as she is trying to climb out of the nest, mouthing bamboo which is usually not done this young, etc.

But my favorite exam was the November 22 one when she took swipes at the photographers I think because she does NOT like the flash from their cameras!  How wonderful she has such good self esteem to think she has a right to have a say in what is done to her!  Note her ire was directed not at her handlers but the interlopers with the flashing lights!

She looks so big and fuzzy and her paws are enormous already.  I did not realize how rapidly pandas grew after birth and tend to think she is exceptional in this regard for I watched those at the National Zoo and did not think the cub grew so fast as this.  Maybe I am partial because Mei Lan is closer.

Guess you can tell she has stolen my heart!

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2006, 08:45:30 PM »

AJC story about today's weekly exam --

Gov gets a gander at Mei Lan
By Susan Wells | Thursday, December 28, 2006, 10:01 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

On a day of firsts, Atlanta’s favorite baby, Mei Lan, the 113-day old giant panda, was examined by her first governor. And Gov. Sonny Perdue, a large-animal veterinarian by trade, did his first once-over on a giant panda this morning at Zoo Atlanta.

“What impressed me,” said the governor, “was that this magical animal is so tolerant of humans.”

He helped senior zoo vet Maria Crane poke and prod the little panda, who has gained about a pound and an inch since last week’s physical exam and now measures 28.9 inches from nose to tail and weighs in at almost 14 pounds.

Mei Lan underwent the exam with little protest other than strong wriggling and a few whimpers. Crane put her fingers in the baby’s mouth to check on the progress of her teeth, a topic of great interest because no one has yet charted the pattern of tooth eruption in giant pandas. Zoo Atlanta hopes to record that pattern for posterity. Crane said there were no new teeth today, but those already there are growing.

Perdue said after examining the panda he could now “check that off my Sonny Do list.” He complimented Crane’s professionalism, which he chalked up to her education at the University of Georgia’s School of Veterinary Medicine, which is where he got his degree.He said he was surprised that the baby panda’s pulse was a rapid 140 to 150 beats a minute and that “her fur is so thick you can’t even see the skin.”

He said he enjoyed that the examination was so “gentle. As any of you know if you’ve taken a child to the pediatrician, it can be a wrestling match. But she was very tolerant.”

Today’s was the last weekly, public examination. Crane said the panda would begin to walk any day now and would be harder to handle. Her examinations would become less frequent and less regular.

Zoo Atlanta public relations director Susan Elliott said zoo officials are hoping for a public debut for Mei Lan in mid January.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2006, 03:25:33 PM »

Friday, December 29
Those of you watching panda cam may have noticed that the small woven fiber mats we were using to provide traction for Mei Lan are gone. At some point, Lun Lun decided they were mighty fine toys and they ended up being enrichment for mom. Unfortunately, that meant no more traction for the cub. If you look carefully beneath the hay in the nest box, you can now see little white traction strips like you'd place on the bottom of your shower or tub. These have been limited in their success in aiding Mei Lan's first steps. We are now trying black rubber mats. These have been left outside the dens to let Lun Lun get accustomed to them.  Yesterday, they were placed one in the den area for the first time. Lun Lun hadn't really messed with the mat and later in the afternoon she carried Mei Lan over and deposited her on top of it. We took this as a good sign.  Mei Lan IMMEDIATELY got her little paws under her and sped off the mat, apparently happy with her newfound traction. Once on the floor again, she floundered and mom rescued her putting her back on the mat. At this point, Lun Lun decided the mat would be a good toy and she started playing with it.  This led to us pulling the mat out for the Mei Lan's safety.  We will continue to try and desensitize Lun Lun to the presence of the mat, in hopes that eventually she'll ignore them. Because when Mei Lan gets her feet under her, she can really move!!!

Jay Pratte
Giant Panda Keeper III

Thursday, December 28
Mei Lan had another health check this morning. She also had a special visitor. Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue is a licensed veterinarian and he assisted with the exam. Mei Lan continues to thrive. She weighs 6.3 kg (13.9 lbs.) and measures 74 cm (28.9 in.) from her nose to the tip of her tail. She is in excellent health and becoming more and more alert and active. She’s also becoming more rambunctious during her exams. From now on we will be doing brief exams in her den area where it is quieter and will require very little handling.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD

Wow, Now she has the Governor of the State of Georgia in her Fan Club.  This girl is something else!

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2006, 05:32:15 PM »

Sunday, December 31
I had a surprising thing happen at the close of yesterday.  While I was in the den that contains the nest box doing a quick evening clean, Mei Lan showed up at my feet. She had crawled approximately 10 feet and ended up in front of the den and outside the nest box.   And she was just looking at me.  It was almost like she was trying to say, "What are you doing?"  At that point, I removed myself from the den as not to give Lun Lun the impression that I was going to do anything with her cub.  I then watched her for a few minutes.  Mei Lan is finally getting her back legs underneath her regularly on the smooth floors. In the past, she has been able to stand when she was on a surface that gave her traction, but last evening she did an excellent job just on the den floors.  Though she was still wobbling, she was doing it over and over again.  She has continued this today!  In fact, Lun Lun was in another area of the den and Mei Lan once again crawled out of the nest box and headed right towards her mother.  All this is a great sign that she could be starting to walk more steadily.
JT Svoke
Giant Panda Keeper II

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2006, 05:38:19 PM »

Here is Governor Sonny Perdue, the sitting Governor of the State of Georgia, assisting with her exam last week.

Quite the celeb is our girl!   Very Happy

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2007, 04:17:34 PM »

Today's Panda Update from the zoo geepers  Laughing :

Monday, January 8

Mei Lan is walking very well now. She is taking coordinated steps and can travel for several feet in any direction. She’s still a lot slower than Lun Lun, but Mei Lan is beginning to follow her mom for short distances. Mei Lan also likes to climb on her mom and investigate mom’s bamboo when she’s trying to eat. Lun Lun is tolerant of this, but sometimes uses her rear legs to block Mei Lan and push her away when she’s being exuberant.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2007, 05:44:06 PM »

Tuesday, January 9
Mei Lan has started to interact with enrichment items. Yesterday, the keepers put a big, plastic ball in her den. She was interested in it immediately. Even though the ball is almost as big as she is, she approached it right away and batted it with her paw. Enrichment helps keep our animals physically active and mentally stimulated. We also use enrichment to encourage natural behaviors. For example, we scatter the pandas’ food around, so that they have to spend time searching for food like they would in the wild. Enrichment comes in many forms (e.g., objects, scents, food, enclosure furniture, training, and social interaction). For young animals, like Mei Lan, objects or toys are particularly useful because everything is new to young animals and they tend to be curious and want to investigate everything. That’s one of the ways they learn about their environments. It will be fun to watch Mei Lan’s reaction to all the new things around her in the coming weeks.
Watch her play with a yellow rag on the video page!
Rebecca Snyder, PhD

--------

I really miss the 24 hour PandaCam as I always miss it during the day time it seems.  This has to be the healthiest baby panda ever and she doesn't seem one bit shy, either.

I have yet to see her walk more than a couple of steps.  Will try again tomorrow.

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »

Mei Lan meets her adoring public
By Tom Sabulis | Friday, January 12, 2007, 10:57 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The first Atlantan to see Mei Lan, America’s newest giant panda cub, in person Friday morning during its inaugural public viewing at Zoo Atlanta had a relevant question.

“Why isn’t the mommy going over to the baby?,” 4-year-old Megan Dobso of Fayetteville asked her mother.

The answer was obvious to more than a dozen members of the media who were taping, photographing and observing the cub’s every wobble: While Mei Lan was tentatively exploring her new surroundings, Lun Lun, her 9-year-old mother, was busy eating.

Leaning against a tree limb in the pandas’ temperature-controlled “dayroom” habitat, Lun Lun was so preoccupied with munching bamboo that when her 4-mnth-old cub came to climb on her, she fended off her 16-pound baby with a raised leg or arm, as if to say, “Not now, kid, I’m starving.”

Mei Lan, undaunted, tried repeatedly to get some attention. But Lun Lun wasn’t buying it. So, after 45 minutes of touring the habitat — balancing on a branch and toppling off, walking in what looked like slow-motion, trying in vain to scale an opening back into her den — the baby cub did what tuckered-out youngsters tend to do.

She lay down and fell asleep.

“It’s amazing, she’s so cute,” said Kim Dobso, Megan’s mom. “I get tears in my eyes she’s so cute. We can’t get enough of her.”

The zoo thinks a lot more folks feel the same way, although there was no crowd early Friday. Zoo officials suggest those wanting to see the panda cub come early in the morning to the zoo in the coming days.

IF YOU GO
What: For the best chance to see Mei Lan, be at Zoo Atlanta early in the morning.
Hours: 9 a.m. for yearly members; 9:30 a.m. for the general public. Zoo closes at 5:30 p.m.
Admission: $17.99-$12.99. Free for children 2 and younger.
For Information: 404-624-9453. 800 Cherokee Ave. www.zooatlanta.com

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2007, 12:37:53 PM »

There are two new videos of Mei.  One is of her coming up to the glass in the viewing area.  She paws at the glass.  So cute.  But I think already she does not like cameras and may be trying to get it.   Shocked The lights possibly annoy her.

She is walking pretty well.  Yesterday Lun Lun hid on the other side of a huge pile of bamboo and the baby could not get through it to get to her.  I think Lun Lun's days of being able to take a break are coming to an end.  The baby will now be able to follow her everywhere she goes.

Link to two new videos

http://www.zooatlanta.org/videos/mei_glass.htm

PERSONA NON GRATA

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2007, 05:33:11 PM »

Quote from: "Anna"
There are two new videos of Mei.  One is of her coming up to the glass in the viewing area.  She paws at the glass.  So cute.  But I think already she does not like cameras and may be trying to get it.   Shocked The lights possibly annoy her.

She is walking pretty well.  Yesterday Lun Lun hid on the other side of a huge pile of bamboo and the baby could not get through it to get to her.  I think Lun Lun's days of being able to take a break are coming to an end.  The baby will now be able to follow her everywhere she goes.

Link to two new videos

http://www.zooatlanta.org/videos/mei_glass.htm

Anna I have been following this little sweetheart for ages but was a bit miffed when they reduced the pandacam hours as it is now off when I can view it.  Your links to the videos and reports help me keep in touch.  I followed the baby panda at San Diego Zoo and they still have their pandacam working 24 hours.  Hard to see a panda in the dark though!

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2007, 10:38:27 PM »

This is for those that haven't seen the 16 baby pandas.

SICHUAN, China -- One zoo in southwest China has its hands full with 16 baby pandas.
The Sichuan Wolong Panda Protection and Breed Center is dealing with the results of a breeding boom -- 16 pandas have been born since July, 2006. The brood includes five sets of twins. The cubs are weighed and measured every five days (see pics)

The heaviest tips the scale at just over 24 pounds, while the lightest weighs about 11 pounds. The pandas are due to stop suckling by  February, 2007 just about the time they'll start learning to walk. Once weaned, the panda cubs will attend panda kindergarten. In the meantime, more little ones are expected at the center since 38 giant pandas were artificially impregnated.

Photos to Follow!!

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2007, 10:53:24 PM »

And these were sent to us compliments of Poster Frijole

They have so many!  And we have to give them Mei Lan, too.  And I can't have even one!!   Sad

I would like to just hold one to see how it feels.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.