March 28, 2024, 04:34:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Link to the Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 30381 times)
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2007, 10:54:51 PM »

And here is our girl now!  Outside, walking and everything!

Very Happy

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2007, 11:30:28 PM »

Quote from: "Anna"
And here is our girl now!  Outside, walking and everything!

Very Happy

Anna :  Thank you for bringing us these photos.  It is not fair the zoo have to send her back to China.  They certainly should have enough of their own this year.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2007, 06:47:44 AM »

Wish we could keep her here in Atlanta.  Crying or Very sad Not only for our sakes, but what about mother and cub? Separating them seems cruel. Anna, I would love to hold and pet her, too!

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2007, 02:06:34 AM »

I even have a huge stand of bamboo for one to eat, too!   Very Happy I have thought about contacting the zoo to see if it is large enough to warrant their coming here to harvest it and how to tell if it is the right kind.  Looks just like what Lun Lun eats and is maybe 15-20 ft. tall.

This is one of those OOPS! things I have planted, not realizing it was invasive.  Now it is trying to take over and is in one of the Scottie sectors, their grassy lot where it grows too thick to even walk through.

I am told I can contain this is I don't allow it to jump and keep a fifteen foot section of it clear all the way around but it is trying to cross even that.   Shocked  Shocked  Shocked Each year it about doubles the grove and nothing I have tried even slows it down.  

And to think I was afraid it was the kudzu that would devour the whole house!   Very Happy   Maybe Tyler can tell me how to stop the bamboo for the use of lawn chemicals is not good around all these dogs and I just won't do it.

Wish I had the whole lot of it in Atlanta for the pandas to eat.  I need to at least call and see if the zoo wants to come harvest it.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2007, 02:19:45 AM »

Wish I had the whole lot of it in Atlanta for the pandas to eat.  I need to at least call and see if the zoo wants to come harvest it.

Hi Anna -  I think I read that if they harvest and offer the sort of bamboo the pandas don't feel like eating that particular day they feed it to the elephants.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »

We're Potty Training now!

Thursday, January 18
Mei Lan hit another significant milestone. Yesterday, we saw her urinate on her own for the first time. Newborn carnivores, including giant pandas, require stimulation from their mother to void urine and feces. Lun Lun has been licking Mei Lan’s anogenital area since she was born to stimulate her to void waste and has then consumed the waste. Giant pandas cubs usually start to urinate and defecate on their own between four and five months of age. Because of this, Lun Lun will gradually lick Mei Lan less and less. This is just another sign that she is growing up.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Giant Panda Research and Management

She always looks so pleased with herself!  Good panda self-image.

Very Happy

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2007, 12:04:42 PM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"

Hi Anna -  I think I read that if they harvest and offer the sort of bamboo the pandas don't feel like eating that particular day they feed it to the elephants.

My only fear is that if it is all cut down, it might act as a sort of pruning and cause the stuff to spread at an even more rapid rate.   Shocked

Sometimes I wonder just what I was thinking but I did think that if it survived at all, it would be fragile in this region.  Nothing could be farther from the truth of the matter and it even remains green and lush all winter.  It is thick enough to also support a bird nest and while it is very tender when it first sprouts, some of the older stalks are at least two inches in diameter at the base.  Interestng sound when the winds blows through it.

And it does constantly attempt to expand, sends off shoots from the roots underground so that a new sprout just pops up several feet from the original clump.  

I will try to call them next week and see if it is worth the 2.5 hour drive here to get it.  Will take photo to email them so they can see if there is enough but I also know of another larger clump on nearby farm so maybe they could come for both of them at the same time.

I think the pandas only eat the small leaves that shoot off from the main segmented trunk, right?  Must take a lot of trunks to fill up a 300 pound panda like the father.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2007, 05:54:21 PM »

Hi Anna,

I am sure the Pandas would only eat the choicest parts - more like tip pruning   Laughing  

Bamboo is the most invasive plant known I think.  Would surely survive a nuclear disaster!  Your taller canes sound ideal for fencing/screening use, if not used for elephant tucker (food).  Had a bamboo like plant in Brisbane called Snowflake Bush.  Covered in the most beautiful white flowers every spring and was really a picture.  Always chopping it down to ground level but back up it came and spread under ground.  Roots like yams.  The sap stained everything black too but not sure about the ordinary bamboo.
Hope you post picture of your bamboo stand here and let us know what response you get from the zoo.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2007, 02:54:39 PM »

Anna asked me to post these photos  Laughing  Laughing

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2007, 03:06:57 PM »

Those little thumbnail photos just didn't do it for me!  

I wonder if the nose turning has to do with exposure to sunlight.  This is often the case with puppies that have a dark skintone.  For example, Westies best coloration is skin the color of what I call black pearl or a gray coloration instead of the pink we see so often on them these days.  But pups never turn that color until they are outside a great deal.

Also sunlight, the Vitamin D source, helps keep noses good and black in the winter time.

So I am thinking that now that Miss Mei Lan goes outside and everything, she, too, will have a big black nose.

To me, she has a different expression than most, she appears to be smiling and just too pleased with herself.  And not to like cameras, probably the flash.  In the Nov 22 video and her latest one at the glass in the exhibit area, she is pawing in the direction of what would be the camera.  They may have made strange noises to get her attention then the flash she found irritating so she will try to get them!  

Very spirited and always has been!  Perhaps she knows how popular she is or can sense her own importance.  Or is just spoiled with no other Pandas around competing for baby status and all that attention.

Whatever. . .she is one fine Panda Girl.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2007, 03:12:54 PM »

Thanks, Klaas!

They are just too cute to be real.

. Very Happy

PERSONA NON GRATA

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2007, 07:06:48 PM »

they look like a pile of cute little dumplings  Laughing

I know our Bella's nose was pink until she fully matured and she's of dual coloring, in fact her nose and paws have turned black. She was a year old this past April? So perhaps it's a function of maturation?

I continue to stand with the girl.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2007, 12:10:50 AM »

I'm sure you are right, None, and maturation is most of it.  But some of these baby Pandas don't look any older than our girl and yet their noses are already turning nicely black.  So I am hoping with her going to the outside exhibit areas more, she will be in the sunlight and it will help hers along somewhat.

Today's report sounds as though Lun Lun loves to show her off!  She takes the baby back outside for a nursing and play session.  Interesting that the mom feels secure enough to feed in the outside exhibit area.  A very good sign, I am sure.

Today's report:

Sunday, January 21
This morning Mei Lan was quite active.  After a short visit on exhibit, Mei Lan took herself back to the den area.  About an hour later, Lun Lun took her back out on exhibit for a quick nursing session and some play.  Mei Lan has taken to climbing on Lun Lun even when Lun Lun is trying to sleep. Mei Lan also continues to explore and mouth bamboo, but it does not seem to be more than just a toy to her at this time.
Kate Roca
Giant Panda Keeper II

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2007, 02:20:29 PM »

Maybe more than we want to know but a milestone none the less:

Monday, January 22
In addition to Mei Lan urinating on her own for the first time last week, the keepers also found that she defecated on her own on Friday. Lun Lun is still licking Mei Lan’s anogenital area to stimulate urination and defection and to keep Mei Lan clean. This behavior had reduced from 2.5% of the time in the first three months of Mei Lan’s life to 1.4% by month four. Now that Mei Lan no longer requires her mother’s assistance to void waste, the behavior will continue to decline gradually.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD

PERSONA NON GRATA

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2007, 07:41:44 PM »

Did anyone see this Yahoo video?  I don't know if it is the Atlanta panda, but this is sure a cute clip!  
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=f9c45aac997590e2e58618880e8ff27a.844744&cache=1
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2007, 05:21:41 PM »

A couple of quick updates on Mei Lan

Wednesday, January 24
This morning the keepers gave Mei Lan a large diameter piece of bamboo for enrichment. The keepers often use large pieces of bamboo to make puzzle feeders for the adult pandas. The keepers drill holes in the bamboo and stuff it with leaf eater biscuits or pieces of fruit. The bamboo that Mei Lan had was not filled with biscuits or fruit, because she does not eat those things, yet. However, she spent about 40 minutes investigating it by smelling, biting and grasping it with her front paws. She was more interested in this piece of bamboo than anything else we have given her so far. Cubs that we studied in China also spent more time investigating bamboo than any other items that were provided for them. This is probably one way that young giant pandas learn about feeding on bamboo.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD

Tuesday, January 23
You may have noticed that Lun Lun does not spend a lot of time with Mei Lan anymore. In the first month of Mei Lan’s life, Lun Lun was in contact (i.e., touching) with her 98% of the time. In month two it was 62%; in month three it was 24% and in month four it was 8%. This is a normal trend for giant panda mothers and their cubs. We found similar results for the other mothers we have studied. A cub in the wild Mei Lan’s age would no longer be in a den. She would follow her mother as she foraged and sometimes be carried by her mother to new foraging areas. However, mother and cub would often not be in contact while the mother was foraging. The cub would be nearby, often resting in a patch of vegetation. After cubs are five months old, they are able to climb well and often rest in trees while their mothers forage. Mei Lan is starting to learn to climb. You might have noticed her pulling herself up onto her rear legs. In a few more weeks she will be able to climb vertical structures and then you might see her resting off the ground when her mother is away.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2007, 01:48:46 PM »

From 01/25/2007 Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Mei Lan’s new nickname: Wiggles
By Mark Davis | Thursday, January 25, 2007, 10:52 AM

She’s not a track star, nor is it likely that she’ll win awards for grace in motion.

But if the people at Zoo Atlanta start handing out medals for sheer motion, Mei Lan the baby giant panda might be a contender for the gold.

Mei Lan underwent her weekly checkup Thursday, rolling around, batting at just about everything that moved and sticking her furry nose into any cranny she could sniff out. Her handlers tried to get the usual measurements that indicate how well the cub is doing.

It wasn’t easy getting her vital statistics, said Dr. Maria Crane, the zoo’s chief veterinarian, but it was sort of fun: Who can get mad at a panda whose nose is stuck in a traffic cone? Yes, a traffic cone: It’s one of the “enrichment toys” the zoo has given the panda to keep her interested in her surroundings.

“She’s showing really good growth and development,” said Crane, who has been checking on Mei Lan since the cub’s birth to Lun Lun Sept. 6. “She continues to do well.”

How well? Mei Lan weighed 18.2 pounds — almost a pound more than her last checkup. From wiggly nose to wriggly tail, she measured 34 inches. She’s walking better every day, too, and frequently ventures to the panda pen’s outside viewing area.

Mei Lan also recently reached another milestone, the bathroom variety. The cub is learning to urinate and defecate on her own. In the past, Lun Lun had to help the kid along, licking the cub’s private parts to get Mei Lan to evacuate.

(Parents, think of that the next time you make a face at junior’s diaper.)

In science-talk, Mei Lan is meeting all developmental platforms.

Crane translated: She’s doing great.”

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
yapperz1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2007, 10:04:08 AM »

Anna here is the link & phone # for bamboo donation.

http://www.zooatlanta.com/support_us_donate_bamboo.htm

Bamboo Donation

Our giant pandas, Lun Lun and Yang Yang, have vigorous appetites, dining on bamboo 10-16 hours a day. They require a variety of bamboo species and, with a 220-pound-a-day consumption, a significant supply. We are always seeking donations of bamboo from private landowners.

We can only accept bamboo that has been harvested by Zoo Atlanta in order to ensure it meets our harvesting standards.

To inquire about donating bamboo located on your property, please call the Bamboo Hotline at 404.624.5884.

I STAND WITH THE GIRL, NATALEE HOLLOWAY

ARUBA
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2007, 01:30:22 AM »

Thanks, Yapperz,

I will post a photo of my stand of bamboo and you posters can tell me if you think it would be worth their trouble to harvest it.

Meanwhile, here is a link to the latest video of Mei Lan.  While tumbling may be a bit of an exaggeration, she does turn over completely now with the greatest of ease!

http://www.zooatlanta.org/videos/mei_tumble.htm

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2007, 03:16:05 PM »

Anna - I came over here today specifically to see about your bamboo donation idea. I'll be glad to call the zoo at the number Yapperz posted, but I don't know a thing to tell them?

For openers, get a mileage check from where you are to the zoo's address. And some idea of the volume you have up there. Let's see if it's geographically feasible in the zoo people's opinion.

I don't know a thing about bamboo, but if you post a picture, I can get them to the SM page when I call. Apparently there are a number of varieties.

The bamboo isn't dormant during winter?

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.