March 28, 2024, 12:17:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Link to the Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 30406 times)
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2007, 09:04:35 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6350023.stm

these are pix so cute of the Pandas in China.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2007, 12:13:39 PM »

From today's Atlanta Jouranl Constitution:

She rolls. She rollicks. She runs. Mei Lan can do just about anything these days. Except sit still. That’s just asking too much of Zoo Atlanta’s 5-month-old baby giant panda.

Zoo officials conducted their weekly checkup on their furry dynamo Thursday morning. Mei Lan was as docile as a bag of kittens. Dr. Maria Crane, the zoo’s chief veterinarian, reached for her measuring tape to get the youngster’s vitals — length, girth, paw size, that sort of stuff. She tried once. Mei Lan rolled over. She tried again. Mei Lan bounded to a corner. Crane tried a third time. The cub skittered off in another direction. Crane gave up, and instead issued a scientific observation: “She’s grown.” Last week, Crane estimated the cub was 32 inches long. What else do they know?

• Mei Lan now weighs 21 pounds, gaining another pound in the past seven days.

• She’s fast. When Crane finished her exam, she left the cub in the corner of her sleeping area and headed for the door. Mei Lan scooted past her, arriving at the door first.

• She’s strong — and headstrong, too. When Crane took the cub’s temperature with a rectal thermometer, the doctor added another fact to the zoo’s growing volume of Mei Lan findings: “She really didn’t like that.”

• The cub is as healthy as her mom, Lun Lun, and dad, Yang Yang. She follows Lun Lun about like a fat little shadow. She climbs logs and rolls in buckets. She swats and gnaws on her toys. She ripples with energy and curiosity.

• She’s spending more time outside every day. As soon as zoo officials can reasonably expect her to remain outdoors for extended periods, they’ll schedule a formal debut for Mei Lan, said Susan Elliott, Zoo Atlanta’s spokesperson. The zoo also will sell timed tickets for people to see the cub and her parents when Mei Lan has her coming-out in Atlanta society, Elliott said.

“We’re so excited with her,” Elliott said. “Everyone is just thrilled with her progress.”

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2007, 05:24:25 PM »

Speaking of the AJC, their blog is likely to have the latest news on Mei Lan as well as very nice photo galleries listed on the left side of the blog.

These can be found at

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/shared-blogs/ajc/pandas/index.html

as well as frequent updates.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2007, 05:59:15 PM »

Anna -  thank you for the link to the pandas.  Since they reduced the viewing times for Mei Lan, which are now inconvenient for our time zone,  I have been having panda withdrawal symptoms!

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2007, 10:06:59 PM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
Anna -  thank you for the link to the pandas.  Since they reduced the viewing times for Mei Lan, which are now inconvenient for our time zone,  I have been having panda withdrawal symptoms!

The panda cam hours are inconvenient for me, too - and I'm in the zoo's time zone! I complain at least weekly about this, but they're not listening ...

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2007, 10:11:02 PM »

Here is a photo of my bamboo.  I have no idea what kind it is.  Tall, that's all I know.   Very Happy

I will post a couple more photos later for an idea of the size of the clump.  Then monkeys can let me know if they think it worth bothering the zoo about.  It is about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive each way for them to come get it.

/

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2007, 10:36:54 PM »

Boo consumes gardening shed!

Guess it is just harder to show the size of the clump than I realized.  This is all old growth from last year as I do not have any new shoots as yet being at higher elevation.

And this is one of the fighting hawks.  The other one flew away.  Shocked   It was sort of scary.  I am always afraid they are after my Yorkies.   Sad

PERSONA NON GRATA

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2007, 10:49:02 PM »

Anna - my husband says bamboo is almost impossible to get rid of.

That hawk is pretty  Very Happy
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2007, 10:52:32 PM »

my mother has said unless bamboo roots are surrounded by concrete as a barrier, just as Klaas has said, it will take over an entire yard in a few years?

I continue to stand with the girl.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2007, 11:13:28 PM »

Well, I didn't know how invasive it was when I planted it.  I have read that if there is a fifteen foot barrier where none is allowed to shoot, that will contain it.  So far so good but yes, it is an annual struggle.  The new shoots really look strange when they first sprout, too.

Fortunately, they are very tender and easy to cut or mow down.

I also planted some sort of invasive trees, poplars of some sort.  Come to think of it I think they were from Australia.  They are getting huge and sending up little shoots as well.

Then there is the English Ivy eating the back of my house.  And the wisteria.

<sigh> Vegetation gone wild around here.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2007, 11:21:19 PM »

Quote from: "klaasend"
Anna - my husband says bamboo is almost impossible to get rid of.

That hawk is pretty  Very Happy

It is much smaller than the other one involved in the fight.  I worry about the Yorkies because a lady near here had an OWL take hers right off her deck one night.   Shocked

And I think all birds of prey are protected species.  They try to get the baby purple martins when they hatch which makes me upset.  Purple martins are wonderful mosquito control, too.  But can't do anything to them.  

Not sure what I would do anyway.   Confused  Cool  Confused   But I do watch the Yorkies closely and wish these two would move away.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2007, 11:36:15 PM »

Poplar trees do grow here but I think they originally came from England, along with a lot of other pests - rabbits, black berries, etc. etc.
Some councils consider poplars are weeds.  Their roots go for water pipes and drains so hope they are not near any of your house drains.

That Hawk looks about the size of the ones here which take baby lambs and would certainly swoop on Yorkies or other small dogs.  Are you sure they were fighting?  Some birds of prey mate in midair and it is spring over there......

You have a bamboo forest.  Maybe the zoo will bring the pandas to you?  Wouldn't that be great?  It certainly looks enough bamboo to phone them and offer it to them.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2007, 02:56:54 AM »

Oh, Tibro, wouldn't that be just awful if they were mating?  A nest full of hungry little growing hawks to get my Yorkies???  That photo does sort of look like a girl and was definitely much smaller than the other one.

Yes, they should bring the pandas to me, that's a wonderful idea.  Just let them stay as long as the bamboo lasts, lol!

Those trees maybe from Australia are advertised as growing up to fifteen feet in a year if that rings a bell.  I am pretty sure the literature claimed they were native to Australia.  And they are really huge already.  Water lines should be OK but I don't want them to take over.

Maybe they will run together with the bamboo, haha.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2007, 05:19:37 AM »

Beautiful hawk !! I love them.

But I know what you mean about your pooches. I have three very small ones too, a pommy, chihuahua, and a chi-ommy. Whenever I have them out I am right there with them and when I see the hawks come, which will circle over head I run the pooches inside.
 We also have Eagle nesting grounds right here along the river. Between the hawks and Eagles many a townsperson has lost there beloved pooches and even young cats. I had always assume eagles were more into the fish and mice...but I guess not..eeek! Whenever I see the dark shadows fly over head while I have the little ones out, I yell to the kids "shadow of hell alert!!! " lol

I love bamboo, where I use to live we had it, it is hard to control, but if you have no reason to control it it is fantastic.  I was thinking of growing some here to block our piggy neighbors yard from my view, but I also remember a lawsuit involving neighbors and bamboo lol.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2007, 05:43:51 AM »

Anna a good website that may help you identify those trees :

www.weedsbluemountains.org.au

In Header selection go to "more invaders" then click on "woody weeds".
Good descriptions and pictures.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2007, 06:20:04 AM »

Anna - I'll contact the zoo Monday. Looks like a pretty good stand of bamboo to me.

If they're interested, shall I send them your email address? (Let me know by email.)

And yes, need to watch out for the hawks and the doggies. I've seen one swoop down to get a duck ...

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2007, 11:03:04 AM »

Another view of the smaller of the two hawks.  Now I am concerned it is a female that they are mating!   Evil or Very Mad

The nerve!

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2007, 11:08:47 AM »

Thanks, Tibro!

I will check out that website.  This is the only photo I have of one of the invasive trees, it is the one in the forefront that is not leafed out as yet.  Without leaves, hard to tell much but I sort of remember what they look like.

The trees were pretty expensive as I recall and I only got about half a dozen or so but they are some sort of really fast growing things.  I wanted lots of nice shade for the dogs and at certain locations like over my gate.

Thanks for the great link.  May have been false advertising that the trees are even from Australia but will see what I can find.  Like the bamboo, it is likely a case of letting nature run its course and nothing I can do to deter them.  Maybe if I tell the trees I want them to spread, they will stop it as I have noticed the things I want to spread don't and the things I want to stay contained, spread!

Very Happy  Not really limited by space, fortunately.

PERSONA NON GRATA

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2007, 11:49:33 AM »

Quote from: "Anna"
Another view of the smaller of the two hawks.  Now I am concerned it is a female that they are mating!   Evil or Very Mad

The nerve!

Well if those birds were that close to my house guess who wouldn't be coming out of her house Laughing .

Anna you need to be careful with your puppies they will kill them Shocked

My father used to race pigeons when I was younger and we would actually see the hawk attack his birds in the sky when he use to let them out for a fly around (don't ask).

Hey maybe Hawkgirl can help Laughing

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2007, 12:19:11 PM »

Hawkgirl is a new one for me, San!  Yes, maybe she could but then maybe she is on the side of the Hawks!  

Yes, I have seen the hawks tackle the baby purple martins for whom I provide housing in midair and kill them, feathers going everywhere.  The purple martin parents become frantic as I do.  They will as a group sometimes try to chase the hawk away.

I think the purple martins will return around March 27 so guess the hawks are here in anticipation of this.  It is so odd but they return every year on about the same day.   Shocked

Yes, I know they will kill and carry away the Yorkies and even the Westie pups.  Must use covers or tarps over them now I suppose.  Doing battle with Mother Nature it seems.

Maybe that is a new avatar for me, Hawkgirl! Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

PERSONA NON GRATA

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.