March 28, 2024, 11:38:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Link to the Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 30403 times)
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 11, 2006, 01:03:46 PM »

Panda Cam:

http://www.zooatlanta.com/animals_panda_cam.htm

I Stand With The Girl
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 08:52:39 PM »

I was hoping someone would capture photos of the cub when she does something particularly cute the way Klaasend can do.  I don't know how but have started a folder in My Pictures of the cub and would like to have lots of pictures of her.

She has absolutely stolen my heart.  I watched with interest the Pandas at the National Zoo and even went to see them several times but none had the effect of this Baby Girl.   Cool

For one thing, she is just such a little pest to her mother I have to laugh.  Also she gets hiccups which my first born did too both before and after he was born.  Can drive you nuts!

So if you catch Lun's cub doing something particularly adorable and will capture and post the photo here, bet lots will save it.

~Anna~

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:32:25 AM »

Here are video clips of 9-year-old Lun Lun and her cub, including the birth at Zoo Atlanta on Sept. 6, 2006, at 4:51 p.m.:
http://www.zooatlanta.com/animals_videos.htm

And here are some stills from the panda cam that the zoo site offers:
http://www.zooatlanta.com/animals_giant_panda_cub_gallery.htm

Here is a very nice development timeline:
http://www.zooatlanta.com/animals_giant_panda_cub_timeline.htm

The panda cam link is in the very first post of this thread. (Thanks BTGirl.)
Warning: The panda cam can become addictive, especially as the cub becomes more frisky, starts walking, etc. The cubs are so cute!

Panda Cubs at a Glance:

Panda cubs' eyes are closed until the age of 2 or 3 months.

At birth, the cubs are mostly a pinkish (skin) color with a sparse coating of white fuzz. They are about the size of a chipmonk; newborn cubs weigh an estimated 4 oz.

The black markings begin to appear at 10-12 days; there's a full coat of fur by about 25 days.

The cubs don't start walking until about a month after their eyes open, so that would be 3 or 4 months old.

This cub appeared to learn to roll over during the week of Oct. 2. She also is climbing all over Lun Lun. As Anna has noted, the cub occasionally has the hiccups. She is keeping Lun Lun awake!

Mama nurses her cub for up to two and one-half years. The cubs begin to feed on bamboo at 13-14 months.

The mother normally fasts for days after giving birth, and eats very little for weeks.

It was not until Sept. 25 that Lun Lun left her cub alone long enough for the zoo geepers (!) to grab the cub and do a quick physical. Then we learned that the cub is a girl. During this exam, she was found to weigh 1.4 lbs and measure just over one foot long. There are cute pictures of this exam from the site linked above.

The father is Yang Yang. He has no involvement with either Lun Lun or the cub; this would be the case in the wild. The males roam more and farther than the females.

Following the Chinese tradition, the cub will not be named for 100 days.
Thus, the name will be announced on December 15, 2006.

This is the fifth cub born in U.S. zoos in the last six years. Lun Lun was artificially inseminated after several unsuccessful mating seasons.

Giant Pandas are an endangered species. Only an estimated 1,600 to 3,000 giant pandas remain in the wild today, with approximately 200 additional individuals living in captivity.

I'll try to get myself emotionally prepared to tackle posting some pictures later ...

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:46:08 AM »

This panda baby is too cute!   Great, something else to keep an eye on!

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 12:23:16 PM »

Panda cub opens eyes for first time
Atlanta Journal Constitution
POSTED: 11:55 a.m. EDT, October 12, 2006

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Zoo Atlanta's panda cub opened her eyes for the first time on Thursday.

Zoo officials made the discovery during a physical examination of the 36-day-old unnamed female cub.

"She's probably able to see now," said zoo veterinarian Dr. Maria Crane. "We noticed she's paying more attention to her environment."

Crane said it's hard to know how much Lun Lun's cub is actually seeing. The newborn appeared slightly startled at one point during her checkup when she noticed staff intently watching her.

The cub, whose name will be chosen in two months, has grown a little more than 16 inches in length in the past week and gained just under a pound, growing to 3.8 pounds.

"She's a very solid cub," Crane said. "Her growth is nice and steady, and that's really a testament to how well Lun Lun is taking care of her."

< end >

And the cub is smart, smart, smart - I think that's an EARLY eye opening.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 01:18:05 PM »

Re. my previous post about the eyes being open - I just realized that CNN, AP and AJC have the same story, so I'm not sure I'm attributing it correctly.

Meanwhile ALERT - cub is alone, rolling, and hiccupping RIGHT NOW.

http://www.zooatlanta.com/animals_panda_cam.htm

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 02:09:32 PM »

I have suspected that the cub could see a little for some time.  She is no longer content with her eyes covered and always has to poke the head out in the open.

Bet the inside corners open first just like puppies or kittens and she has been having little bits of at least light and dark to ponder.  Very active.  Her poor mother gets no sleep now!  At least not without a wiggly cub to deal with.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 04:44:27 PM »

Saturday October 14, 2006

Lun Lun and her cub are doing excellent today.  Her appetite continues to increase. She has been spending more and more time away from the cub, which has allowed keepers to resume some of the normal training sessions that were conducted prior to the cub's birth.  During these sessions, she has also been more receptive to participating in enrichment activities.   Lun Lun has been very motivated to train and continues to do very well with it.  The cub appears significantly larger each day.  She is moving her legs more readily and lifting her head. Nursing sessions have become longer and the time between the sessions has been increasing. We are continuing to monitor Lun Lun and her cub around the clock.
Tom Smith
Lead Keeper Large Mammals

PERSONA NON GRATA

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 04:18:57 AM »

That cub is so darn cute! She's a beauty, that's for sure!

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 06:00:12 PM »

Thursday, October 19
The cub had her fourth health check today. She continues to thrive. Her weight was 2.24 kg (4.9 lbs). She gained over a pound (514 g) in the last week. Her length was 43 cm (17 in) from her nose to the tip of her tail. The cub’s teeth are now visible under the gum line. The first teeth usually erupt when the cub is around 75 days old.

Obtaining a weekly weight on the cub is important to track her growth, ensure that she is receiving adequate milk, and ensure that her development is normal. Her weight and measurement information will also contribute to the global database on giant panda infants. Zoo Atlanta is using a more hands off approach in managing Lun Lun and her cub than some other institutions, particularly those in China. Thus, it is important to collect regular weight and measurement information on this cub, so that her development can be compared that of cubs managed differently.

The cub nursed right before the exam. Lun Lun shifted into the adjacent den readily and participated in a training session while her cub was away. The exam took less then 10 minutes. When Lun Lun was given access to her cub after the exam, she did not return immediately. She spent a few minutes grooming and then returned to her cub. Lun Lun then picked up her cub and licked her.
Dr. Rebecca Snyder
Curator of Giant Panda Research and Management

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 03:56:44 PM »

Thursday, October 26
The cub received her fifth health check today. She is strong and in excellent health. She weighs 2485 g (about 5.5 lbs) and measures 46 cm (about 18 in) from her nose to the tip of her tail. Her coat is becoming denser and coarser, which is typical for giant pandas, and two of her teeth are close to erupting.

The procedure went very smoothly. Lun Lun shifted into the adjacent den as soon as she was asked. She participated in a training session while the cub was examined. Lun Lun was calm while the cub was away and did very well with training. She cooperated with injection training, which requires her to present her shoulder to the keeper, who then inserts a needle and injects a small amount of saline solution. Both Yang Yang and Lun Lun are trained for injections. This allows us to inject them with anesthetic drugs for their annual physical exams, rather than having to dart them. The periodic injection of saline (usually once a month) ensures that the pandas are used to the procedure and helps us maintain the behavior. Lun Lun had not been asked to perform this behavior since June 28, but she responded to the request right away today and held still for the injection.
Dr. Rebecca Snyder

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 04:01:52 PM »

PERSONA NON GRATA

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 04:36:56 PM »

Quote from: "Anna"

OMG... I just want to take her home!!!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 06:38:34 PM »

Thanks Anna!  I've been keeping an eye on the Panda Cam and it puts such a smile on my face each time I see this little guy.  But that cam doesn't zoom in and I had no idea he was getting so big.... little porker.  cute as cute can be.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 07:23:31 PM »

Frijole,
I think she is a girl panda.  They won't name her until December as is a tradition.  And worst of all, she is promised to China!  Probably that is in exchange for getting one of her parents here.

Good news is that she won't leave until she is two years old.  Then it's off to seek her fortune in the big wide world!

PERSONA NON GRATA

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 08:09:00 PM »

A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, "Hey! Where are you going? You just shot my waiter, and you didn't even pay for your sandwich!"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda:
       A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian
       origin, characterized by distinct black
       and white coloring. Eats shoots and
       leaves.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 08:14:18 PM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
Eats shoots and
       leaves.[/b][/i]

OH my god, how cute!  Justins... you are really full of good jokes... thanks for sharing.  lol
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 06:20:17 PM »

Monday, October 30
The cub was more active today and is becoming a little bit mobile. Once while Lun Lun was away, the cub spent about 20 minutes using her legs to push herself around in the next box. She didn’t get far and mostly just moved around in a circle, but this behavior is a good sign that she is strong and becoming more aware of her surroundings. We expect this behavior to increase and become more coordinated over the coming weeks as she starts to learn to walk. By the time she is four months old, she will be able to walk well.
Dr. Rebecca Snyder
Curator of Giant Panda Research and Management

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 09:47:49 AM »

Hi Anna and other panda-lovers!

Thanks for posting the picture - I've been using them as my "background" on the computer at work.

She looks like one of those big fuzzy slippers!

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 11:12:38 PM »

From the 10/26 checkup:

After the 11/02 checkup:

Here's the AJC "Panda Blog" for 11/02:

Snerk! Panda cub fit as a fiddleBy Mark Davis | Thursday, November 2, 2006, 10:13 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

She’s gained weight. Her teeth are round little nubs. Her nails are as sharp as roof tacks.

She is, in other words, in great shape.

The baby giant panda at Zoo Atlanta underwent her weekly exam Thursday morning. It’s a routine procedure designed to monitor the cub’s development — a chance, too, to wow her handlers. Their assessment? The child is longer, stronger, more prone to let people know what she’s thinking.

“Snerk!” The 57-day-old baby grunted once and fixed eyes as bright as black marbles on her handlers, three energetic young women who came to poke and probe. She’d just been removed from the heated space she shares with her mom, Lun Lun, and looked vaguely irritated.

Maria Crane, the zoo’s chief veterinarian, gently thrust a glove-clad index finger in the little creature’s mouth. White jaws clamped shut, a furry vise. The latex snapped softly as Crane removed her finger.

“She has teeth,” Crane announced.

But that’s not all. The baby has grown more than an inch; from soft little nose to furry little tail, she now stretches 19.5 inches. She’s put on about a half-pound in the last seven days, making the scales groan at 6 pounds. The ears? Last week, they were beginning to stand erect. This week, they were still rising, and sat atop her head like surprised wooly-worms.

She is doing just what a baby panda should be doing after less than two months on this earth. She’s eating, sleeping, hanging close to mama, and making the occasional editorial comment:

“Snerk!”

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.