March 29, 2024, 07:22:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Link to the Atlanta Panda Cam  (Read 30463 times)
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 11:28:07 AM »

Just a few small items -

Yang Yang, the father, is fond of hot sauce! Not that he "eats" it - apparently he likes the smell. The zoogeepers put some on a wool (wool-like?) cloth and he rubs it on himself. McIlhenney (sp?) out of Louisiana made up a special gallon bottle for him. Goodness knows how they figured out that he LIKES it!

Lun Lun, the mother, as of this weekend, has more space available to her, so she can get a little exercise. (In the wild she would be out foraging for food.)

Yang Yang is still totally separated from both mama and little whozit.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2006, 06:03:43 AM »

Thursday, Nov. 9, checkup - From Atlanta Journal Constitution:

She wasn’t rewarded with a lollipop, but Zoo Atlanta’s Giant Panda cub was an ideal patient Thursday morning while receiving her first vaccination shot, for canine distemper.

Otherwise, she was a typically noisy and active baby, issuing several loud squawks and sudden lurches as she becomes more sensitive to sound and surroundings.

“Visually she’s a little more aware,” zoo vet Maria Crane said, shortly after the 8:15 a.m. checkup. “It looked like movement [in the room] was startling her a little bit. She’s also becoming more sensitive to sound. As I checked her ears, the ear canal opening was a little bit larger. She is a lot more active and she has gained a lot more strength in her front legs.”

The cub now weighs 7.2 pounds, a gain of one pound from last week, and measured 21 inches from nose to tip of tail.

The little panda also had its temperature taken, rectally, and the result was normal: 36.5 degrees Celsius.

The cub’s increased size and activity mean zoo staffers could not take their hands off the animal for its usual “hands free” photo during the exam.

“I really don’t like to not be able to keep them from rolling off the table and injuring themselves,” Crane said. “Touch sometimes makes the animals feel more secure, because she is used to her mother holding her. She seemed to calm down as long as I kept a hand on her back or head.”

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 02:44:25 AM »

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 10:25:30 PM »

Here's another one, to join Anna's from the 11/09 exam:

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 02:43:21 PM »

Thursday, November 16
The cub received another health exam this morning. She weighlbs.ed 8.07  She measures from the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail 22.44 inches long. She is growing at a steady rate. Her haircoat continues to thicken. She can hold herself up on her front legs with her head raised. She is very steady in this posture as long as she does not try to move her back legs at the same time. When she does, she loses her balance and tends to roll over or moves in a circle. This is very normal for young cubs as they develop their sense of balance and strengthen their bodies in preparation for walking. However, she just might like rolling around! Overall, the cub appears to be doing very well and remains healthy.
Dr. Maria Crane
Vice President of Animal Health

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 02:48:10 PM »

There is also a new video of the exam.  I have noticed during the last two exams that the cub is not one bit shy and is in fact rather assertive.  She has made a couple of very aggressive sounding growls at the humans near her.   Shocked  

I wonder if she will allow them to continue to handle her and do things like give vaccinations.

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 11:43:20 PM »

More on the weekly Thursday exam ...

She growls! She stands! She charms!
By Mark Davis | Thursday, November 16, 2006, 10:06 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Panda fans, check this out. In the past week, that little-girl giant panda at Zoo Atlanta has:

• Grown nearly 1.5 inches

• Gained about three-quarters of a pound

• Developed strength in her front legs.

Oh, and this: She’s found her voice.

Snarf! The unnamed youngster barked once, and fixed a beady stare at the women who held a tape across her nose, measuring the child’s length from nose to tail. The panda is now 22.44 inches long. Last week, she measured 21 inches.

Haff! She made a little bear cough as her handlers hefted her on a scales. The numbers glowed red — 3.66 kilos. (For you non-scientists, that’s about 8.1 pounds.) Her weight gain is proof that her mama, Lun Lun, is feeding that child right.

Snarf! The panda stood up on front legs as sturdy as posts. She turned her fuzzy head to the right, to the left. She looked at the ceiling, then at her feet. A tough kid.

Dr. Maria Crane, who has been conducting weekly exams since the panda’s birth Sept. 6 — Thursday’s checkup was the eighth for doctor and patient — is pleased with the panda’s progress. The zoo’s senior veterinarian, Crane makes the regular exams to chart the infant’s progress, watch her vitals and add Zoo Atlanta’s findings to a growing wealth of knowledge about the bears.

She also likes looking at her young charge, who at 71 days old has more hair than a wig shop. “She’s definitely getting stronger,” said Crane.

The panda is still a little shaky on her back legs. Her teeth, too, are still under the gums, but threatening to come out at any moment.

And when those teeth come out? Lun Lun will be nursing her child for another 10 months or so.

If you don’t understand the significance of that, go check with a nursing mom.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 08:07:38 PM »

Saturday, November 18
Our little girl is now 73-days-old. We're getting closer to the 100 Day Naming Celebration and as a result we are receiving many questions about what the cub's name will be. Surprisingly, the keepers haven't come up with any nicknames for her. Behind the scenes, we all have our little variations on Yang Yang and Lun Lun's given names that we use sporadically, like the pet names people have for friends or family members. Oddly enough, we still refer to the tiny giant panda as "the cub" or "the baby."   I think perhaps the respect we have for Chinese traditions, like the 100 day naming practice, has seeped into our brains.

However, this does not mean that we haven't put thought into the potential name. The members of the panda team, along with other zoo staff, were given the opportunity to choose names for a zoo-wide staff name vote. Because Zoo Atlanta will submit two of the ten names for the online poll hosted by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (on their website at ajc.com), staff were able to vote on suggestions that had been contributed internally. We all tried to come up with names that were cute and appropriate, did not sound like either of the parents' names and had sensible Chinese/English translations. Ultimately, the submissions were narrowed down to several good choices.  Watch for those, along with all of the other submissions to the 10-day poll being hosted on ajc.com starting Dec. 1.  We are hoping all of you panda watchers out there will vote!  Happy Naming!!!
Jay Pratte
Giant Panda Keeper III

This little girl definitely has an attitude!  She stands firmly on her front legs and has the nerve to make angry Panda sounds at those she finds annoying her.  Nothing one bit shy about this young lady!

Kon Kon is Vietnamese for baby so I wonder if it is also in Chinese.  That would be a good name.  But I am sure whatever they chose will be very nice for she has to have won their hearts long ago.

It is so comforting to watch the mother and baby interact for they are so content and accepting of each other.  An exact miniature of the mom, too.

Having kids who look nothing like me, I can't help but be a bit envious of that.

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 12:43:04 PM »

Anna - Have you been experiencing problems with the panda cam lately? All I get these days is black in the video area.

Sue
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 09:03:40 PM »

Taken today November 22nd

She says: I dont like you guys poking around on me  Rolling Eyes

Joran, Deepak & Satish You F***ers will never be worth anything in your life ever
darleenofalabama
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 09:10:03 PM »

Sue, thanks for posting this; it's really a very good picture--and so sweet!!
Sue
Monkey Junky

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 04:00:18 PM »

Tell me this just isnt the cutest thing she is trying to crawl

Joran, Deepak & Satish You F***ers will never be worth anything in your life ever
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2006, 03:53:35 PM »

Here are the 10 nominated names for the baby panda. Includes meaning and the name of the nominator (?).

Xiao Tao, 小桃
(shao-tao)  “little peach”  Panda Express (restaurant chain)

Mei Tao, 美桃
(may-tao) “beautiful peach” WGCL-TV. CBS.

Mei Lan, 美兰
(may-lan) “Atlanta beauty”  WSB-TV. ABC.

Mei Li, 美丽
(may-lee) “beautiful”  WAGA-TV. Fox.

Ming Xing, 明星
(ming-shing) "bright star" WXIA-TV. NBC.

Ping Bao, 平宝
(ping - bao) “peacefulness & precious treasure” AJC

Cheng Ya, 成娅
(chung-ya) “pretty Atlanta girl from Chengdu”  Zoo Staff

Ming Yue, 明月
(ming-yuu) “bright moon” Zoo Staff

Chang Jiang, 长江
(chung-jung) “Yangtze River” Chinese Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding

Tai Ji,太极
(tai-ji) “Tai Chi" (philosophical foundation of Taoism)  Chinese Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding

You, too, can vote - go here:
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/panda/pandapage.html

Voting will continue through 12:00 a.m. on Sunday, December 10.

One of the daily updates states this:
So to help you decide [how to vote], here's what little there is to tell you about the cub that you may not know or recall. She was born in the afternoon of September 6, and that day was indeed a full moon.She is the only cub born outside of China this year, and so is unique and special. While she is born an Atlantean, she will eventually go back to China, which will likely be her home. Since both parents hail from Chengdu, this may give our little girl dual citizenship. Who knows? But she is very quiet most of the time, not too fussy, and already showing her mother's curiosity in her environment. Both her parents are very intelligent, so we have high hopes for her. Now it's up to you to help us choose the best name possible. I know which one I'm voting for!
Jay Pratte
Giant Panda Keeper III

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 10:47:21 AM »

From the FRONT PAGE of The Atlanta Journal constitution:

Panda cub to make public debut soon

By Mark Davis | Thursday, December 7, 2006, 10:29 AM

Coming soon, to a sunny, public spot: Zoo Atlanta’s baby giant panda.

The unnamed cub reached a milestone Thursday morning during her weekly examination. She stood, shakily, for a few seconds, her furry fanny rising like a balloon.

That means she should be walking soon, said Dr. Maria Crane, the zoo’s senior veterinarian, who conducted the checkup. And when she starts walking, the cub doubtless will follow her mama, Lun Lun, into a public viewing area.

That should happen, Crane estimated, in about four weeks — perhaps sooner.
“There is a high possibility” that people wanting to see the adult Lun Lun early next year might get a bonus glimpse of her youngster, Crane said.

When she does make her debut, the kid will be sporting some teeth, too. Examiners discovered eight more teeth had erupted from her gums in the past week, meaning the cub now has 12.

Other findings:

• The cub now weighs 10.8 pounds. That’s about one pound more than her weight seven days ago.

• She’s now 25.25 inches long. Last week, she was two inches shorter.

• Her fur gets ever thicker, dense enough to ward off the worst chill on a Chinese mountainside — more than enough to keep Georgia’s winters howling in frustration.

• Her eyes are still developing, and are keener now than they ever have been.

• She’s stronger than ever, too. She wiggled like a puppy in a sack during the eight-minute exam.

Crane, probing the cub, couldn’t hide a grin under her surgical mask. “We’re very excited that she’s doing as well as she is,” Crane said.

When zoo officials, dignitaries and others gather next Friday [Dec. 15] at the zoo to witness her naming, the star of the show should be in fine shape.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 10:53:38 AM »

Panda Cam.....10:00 - 5:00 p.m. - Monday through Friday

http://www.zooatlanta.org/animals_panda_cam.php4

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 08:23:35 PM »

Here is a link to an extra video of her exam yesterday.  She is VERY assertive but has that cute little happy face.

http://www.ajc.com/  Scrroll down and itis on the left.  She takes a swipe at acouple of folks measuring her snout.  I know she is getting teeth and it won't be long before she can actually hurt folks but for now I think it is just adorable the way she will have her little fits and defend her small person against the much larger humans without one bit of fear of them.

And she can't even walk yet.

She is going to be a handful but does have a pleasant look to her expressions.I wonder if she would respond to being petted, that is stroked, eyebrows rubbed, things you would do to a puppy.

But the idea is to preserve them as bears and not to try to make dogs of them and pets.  She can stand for a few seconds when she really wants to so we know what that means.  I can't wait to see her walking around.

She seems a couple of weeks ahead of schedule and I attribute that to the excellent care she is getting and also to her excellent mother.  

But I watched those at the National Zoo, just not nearly this closely and I would never have guessed she would be so full of herself so young.  This one is destined to be a star!  Oh, how I wish we could keep her.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 08:26:38 PM »

Quote from: "MeMere"
Panda Cam.....10:00 - 5:00 p.m. - Monday through Friday

I miss the 24/7 coverage!!

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 11:30:35 AM »

See Memere's post above.  They have limite access to 10 to 5, Monday through Friday.  I wonder what the Chinese think of this as I believe that would be night time there.

I miss checking on her if I awaken during the night.  I do think, however, that she is going to be just fine and she surely seems as healthy as can be.

Don't you love it when she takes a swipe at the cameraman during her exams, lol!  Spirited is our girl!  She knows she is adored and loved and can get away with just about anything at this point.  She is ahead of schedule and will walk this week I do believe.  She may walk out to her naming ceremony!!

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2006, 01:36:56 PM »

SHE WALKS!
Tomorrow, Dec. 15, is NAMING DAY!

Thursday's exam report, from The Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Panda baby takes first wobbly step
Thursday, December 14, 2006, 11:29 AM

Panda fans, post this on your message boards: She’s walking.

Zoo Atlanta’s 99-day-old giant panda cub rose on four shaky legs Thursday morning and took a few tentative steps — a first for the youngster.

She wobbled like a drunk in a windstorm, but there was no mistaking her intentions: She’s ready to move on her own, nearly in time for her naming ceremony.

It happened while Dr. Maria Crane, the zoo’s senior veterinarian, conducted her weekly exam of the cub, born Sept. 6. Joining her was Dr. Zhang Zhihe of the Chengdu Base of Giant Panda Breeding, in Atlanta for the cub’s 100-day naming ceremony, taking place Friday.

She’d been sound asleep, curled as tight as a comma, when Crane reached into her den. The cub slowly came awake while technicians weighed and measured her.

She stuck out a sturdy left front leg and dug her claws into a fiber mat examiners had placed on the exam table. The right front leg followed. And then…

The left rear leg reached out, shaking. The right leg followed. She quivered all over for a moment, then rose. The cub swayed on her feet. With Crane hovering like a worried mom, the cub took one step, another, a third. She flopped back down on the mat, looking sort of winded from all the exercise.

Zoo officials were as tickled as if one of their own youngsters had grabbed a stool and pushed it all around the kitchen. They’ve been predicting the cub will be walking by early next year or sooner.

“She tried to walk off the end of the table,” Crane said.

That’s not all. Her nails, shiny and hard, got clipped for the second time. Crane left them long enough so the youngster can get plenty of traction should she decide to take a turn around her den.

Here are the vitals:

She weighs 12 pounds now, a “significant gain” of more than a pound in the last week.

She’s about 26.5 inches long — more than an inch of growth in the past week — but that’s just an estimate. Her wiggling makes getting an accurate reading about as easy as threading a needle on a roller coaster.

Her fur now seems as thick as that of her parents, Lun Lun and Yang Yang.

In short, said Crane, she’s ready for her naming, taking place at a 10 a.m. ceremony. When everyone stands to cheer her name, maybe she will, too.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2006, 01:17:22 PM »

Panda's Name: Mei Lan

From the 12/15/2006 Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Atlanta, America, the world: Meet Mei Lan.

That’s the name officially given Friday morning to the Giant Panda cub born at Zoo Atlanta.

Translated from Mandarin Chinese, it means “Atlanta beauty.” It is pronounced “May-lan,” and will be the animal’s name for life.

<snip>

The naming, said Susan Elliott, the zoo’s director of public relations, was such a big deal that only a handful of zoo employees knew the name in advance. They had to sign a promise not to blab. Mei Lan is the only panda born outside China this year. Only four zoos in America have pandas.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.