March 28, 2024, 05:35:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joshua or Golden Calf Generation?  (Read 1662 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 29, 2008, 09:29:15 PM »

Of course, Obama took that mantle of change on his own shoulders last year when he addressed his civil rights elders at the 42nd anniversary of the Selma march. Expressing gratitude to the "Moses generation," he identified himself as part of the "Joshua generation." If Moses led the people through the desert years, Joshua was anointed to lead them into the promised land. Obama both praised and put the "Moses generation" in its place: history.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/11/27/opinion/edgoodman.php

There are a few things that bother me about the Moses and Joshua generation comparisons.

Did Joshua anoint himself?  Self-direction in the Bible?

Why would anyone compare the past fifty years in the US with Moses and Exodus?  Where is the desert?  Where is the hardship?  Where are the people who left behind all that glitters and was of gold? 

I see plagues, and other things tormenting human kind, but I do not see a Moses type person that led people out of Egypt and into the desert.  If the people haven't left Egypt, how can there be a desert?  If there is no desert, how can they be led to the land of milk and honey?  Where is Joshua?

Has anyone destroyed the modern day golden calf?  Have people abandoned their worldly desires since November?  Have they focused their lives on the spiritual instead of materialism?  What became of the original land of milk and honey?

Did the Lord have agents on this earth looking for someone to fill the role of Moses?  Joshua?  Did various people audition or run for this office?  Was that how roles and responsibilities were decided?  Or, did the Lord appoint someone to fill these roles?

What was important?  Obedience to God?  Following the law?  Or, did the Lord anoint people who were not obedient and didn't follow the law?  Did he anoint many who cast their religion aside?  Did he appoint people who ridiculed others that worshiped him?  Those that cling to false gods and idols?

I think the world has been misled by the 'golden calf' - worship of material goods at the expense of humanity.  Free Trade or Fair Trade?  Sustainable employment or slavery?

No Joshua in sight.  Civilization is stuck in the land of Pharaoh.  If anything, Americans are being sold into slavery at an alarming rate.  The current citizens, and future generations.  There is no Moses, there is no desert, and no land of milk and honey.

just my humble opinions 

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »

The money has to come from somewhere...

On education, the moderator in the third presidential debate, Bob Schieffer, pointed out that “the U.S. spends more per capita than any other country on education. Yet, by every international measurement, in math and science competence, from kindergarten through the 12th grade, we trail most of the countries of the world.” We spend 24 percent more per pupil than France and 53 percent more than Britain. Even more spending may create more education jobs (assuming that it doesn’t just increase salaries for those already in public education), but more spending doesn’t really seem to be what we are lacking.

Or take the claims about our crumbling bridges.

The poster child of crumbling infrastructure was the I-35W bridge collapse in Minnesota last year. Since the collapse, the Minnesota Star Tribune notes that Democrats "sometimes bluntly, sometimes not" attacked the "skinflint tax policies and budgets had set the stage for the I-35W bridge tragedy." It was only a couple of weeks ago that a National Transportation Safety Board report found that the collapse had nothing to do with poor maintenance or inspection -- the problem was that the original engineers had made mistakes in designing the bridge.

Spend more on education and produce less educated children?   

In fact, our nation’s bridge system is far from crumbling — the number deemed "structurally deficient" has fallen every year since 1990, dropping by a total of almost 50 percent.
  Wow...sounds like good progress IS already being made. 

Much reporting has focused on loaded terms such as "structurally deficient" bridges, with papers across the country publishing lists of all such bridges in their area. But the term simply flags a need for regular inspections and repairs or upgrades. As the United States Department of Transportation notes in its 2006 report of bridge conditions, "The fact that a bridge is ‘deficient’ does not immediately imply that it is likely to collapse or that it is unsafe."

What bridges does Obama want to fix, repair, or build?  Bridges to no where?

Is the bridge and school issue a 'red herring'?  Why spend more money on something that isn't a problem?

The most comprehensive database of U.S. bridge collapses comes from the New York State Department of Transportation. Of the 1,500 U.S. bridge collapses from 1966 to 2005, some 400 were the result of collisions, overloading or fires — problems maintenance won’t prevent.

With unemployment at 6.5 percent (and even that at least 1 percentage point higher than it should be because of a recent 50 percent increase in unemployment insurance), hysteria seems to be driving most of the arguments. Half of the months during the 1980s and 1990s, our unemployment rate was higher than it is now, but there were no serious calls for large-scale public work projects. Government is nowhere near efficient as private firms and individuals in figuring out where the most productive use of their time and resources are.

Who's pockets will all that government money line?  How many lasting jobs will be created?  How many generations will need to pay for all those profits?

For every dollar that the government spends on all these new make work programs, how much will actually go to the pockets of the lowest on the totem pole?  Maybe 1/2 of 1 cent? 

Spend $100.000 to pay the person at the bottom $.005?  More trickle down economics?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,459745,00.html

I think it would be much cheaper to give every taxpayer $1 billion dollars.  Is my check in the mail yet?

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.