April 19, 2024, 07:12:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's official: we are in a recession.  (Read 2369 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: December 01, 2008, 07:33:31 PM »

Dow Plunges 680 Points as Recession Is Declared

The evidence of a recession has been widespread for months: slower production, stagnant wages and hundreds of thousands of lost jobs.  But the nonpartisan National Bureau of Economic Research, charged with making the call for the history books, waited until now to make it official — and the announcement came on a day when the American stock market fell nearly 9 percent in a single session.
<snip>
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/02/business/02markets.html?bl&ex=1228280400&en=2450f6cf5c5bac73&ei=5087%0A

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:12:21 PM »

Great Owl, you are a very self-centered, demagoguing pessimist. 

Gosh, I don't know what to say..... you mean I was actually correct in assuming that because it felt like a recession that it actually was a recession.   I am speechless.   And here I stood silent while taking personal attacks that the mods ignored.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »

Great Owl, you are a very self-centered, demagoguing pessimist. 

Gosh, I don't know what to say..... you mean I was actually correct in assuming that because it felt like a recession that it actually was a recession.   I am speechless.   And here I stood silent while taking personal attacks that the mods ignored.

Great Owl ~  I'm sorry you were personally attacked.   Did you use the "report to moderator" feature?  I wasn't a mod until late July 2008, and seldom ventured to the political thread before then.    Please know it can be very hard to read each and every post.  No one is assigned to any particular area.   However, after becoming a mod, I started moderating and reading in the political forum and other areas of the board.  And I edited some posts that I deemed to be a personal attack. in the politcal forum when I found them.  Sometimes there were so many new threads and comments it was hard to follow them all.   I would say the one you have referenced here would qualify as a personal attack on you, and I certainly would have edited it. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:07:21 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »

I understand completely......  There are certain posters who are granted immunity when they make personal attacks.  Some others can't even hint at it or they would be banned.  I know these things are very selective so I just avoid posting in areas where the "privileged" post.  It is not my place to criticize how this forum is run.  I just shrug off most if not all of those inane attacks.  Only on very rare occasions do I even comment.  This is one of them.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11:40 PM »

U.S. Recession Started in 2007, Longest Since 1980s (Update1)

By Timothy R. Homan and Steve Matthews

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. economy entered a recession a year ago this month, the panel that dates American business cycles said today, making this contraction already the longest since 1982.
<snip>
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=al4iyIoRhvao&refer=home

It looks like you were right on the money, Great Owl!  (pun intended)

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »

Great Owl,

Yes, there are three or four posters who are immune, like you said.

MuffyBee is ethical. She protected me against several attacks in the Political Forum from one of the immune posters.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »

It took them this long to figure it out?? ? OMG,  Most households have been struggling to survive for the past year and
[those officials] are just finally admitting we are in a recession? Well NO KIDDING,  we all knew that except for the people that are bringing a 6 figure income into their household that have made this statement.   

Maine, born and raised!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.