April 28, 2024, 11:23:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #13 12/16/08 -02/02/09  (Read 191597 times)
Sea Searcher
Monkey Junky

January 8th, 1935 On this day, a King was born !

« Reply #400 on: January 21, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »

Sparky ??
I jst jumped over here to make you say hey to me before I went through all the trouble of squeezing into that diamond studded jumpsuit.

Actually, I replied to your post since it was half on topic...There has been a lot of OT in the Caylee thread today and I don't know how much patience Klaas has left..I didn't want to push my luck ... 

oh sure..now your gone...I'm a very slow typist and I don't know all the net lingo...maybe you should try that diamond studded jumpsuit after all 

We will never be able to make a woman want her child. But we as a society could make a safe haven for those children in that situation. Let not one more child die from lack of wanting... We could call it the Caylee House.
higherhopes
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #401 on: January 21, 2009, 12:42:53 AM »

Sparky ??
I jst jumped over here to make you say hey to me before I went through all the trouble of squeezing into that diamond studded jumpsuit.

Actually, I replied to your post since it was half on topic...There has been a lot of OT in the Caylee thread today and I don't know how much patience Klaas has left..I didn't want to push my luck ... 

oh sure..now your gone...I'm a very slow typist and I don't know all the net lingo...maybe you should try that diamond studded jumpsuit after all 
Well Im getting dizzy jumping back abd forth, if it will keep you in one spot I might just put it on right now!

I don't know, I was at work....I don't know, I was sleeping........Where is Haleigh???????
Sea Searcher
Monkey Junky

January 8th, 1935 On this day, a King was born !

« Reply #402 on: January 21, 2009, 01:13:21 AM »

Sparky ??

Well Im getting dizzy jumping back abd forth, if it will keep you in one spot I might just put it on right now!

I wish we has some kind of IM or side bar chat so when it's slow, the ones that want to chat for a bit can do so without interfering with those that don't want any O/T...myspace IM works ok but facebook I'm not comfortable with..and it's still only a one on one chat I think.. a group chat would be a nice addition to Scared Monkeys...at the msm Zone we could create a chat room while playing games, it would be in a side window and was a lot of fun..

Good Night HH...I'm expecting to see you in that jumpsuit tomorrow.. 

We will never be able to make a woman want her child. But we as a society could make a safe haven for those children in that situation. Let not one more child die from lack of wanting... We could call it the Caylee House.
da sparkenator
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #403 on: January 21, 2009, 01:22:56 AM »

Sparky is here!!!!

What day is it?  How long have I been here?
higherhopes
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #404 on: January 21, 2009, 01:24:05 AM »

Sparky ??

I wish we has some kind of IM or side bar chat so when it's slow, the ones that want to chat for a bit can do so without interfering with those that don't want any O/T...myspace IM works ok but facebook I'm not comfortable with..and it's still only a one on one chat I think.. a group chat would be a nice addition to Scared Monkeys...at the msm Zone we could create a chat room while playing games, it would be in a side window and was a lot of fun..

Good Night HH...I'm expecting to see you in that jumpsuit tomorrow.. 
    thats  a good idea, we need some way to chat, anyway take care and I'll see you tomorrow, maybe you will be wrong about the doc dump and we will have a lot to discuss tomorrow!   Goodnight.

I don't know, I was at work....I don't know, I was sleeping........Where is Haleigh???????
da sparkenator
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #405 on: January 21, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »

Hello!  Hello!  Hello!  Echooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

da sparkenator
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #406 on: January 21, 2009, 01:26:47 AM »

That's so cute, Dolce!  Hope you and the twins are doing well!

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #407 on: January 21, 2009, 01:42:56 AM »

Hello!  Hello!  Hello!  Echooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #408 on: January 21, 2009, 01:51:07 AM »

Hi Bearly!!! Hi Sparkey!!!!
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #409 on: January 21, 2009, 01:53:05 AM »

Imagine being in your 50's and everything you have worked for and accumulated, including things of sentimental value, daily use and otherwise, is reduced to a horrible stench and ashes. Every heirloom and relic is ash. Every photo of all relatives many as far back as the 1800's and your children from birth onward, is reduced to ashes. No photos: baby books, first drawings, confirmations, Easters, Christmas mornings, first day of school. All those events one takes a photo of. Grandfathers highchair, Great Grandfathers letter to his parents from the gold rush, your childs first drawing and first day at school and many, many more cherished momentos are all gone. They do live in the memory. That is the good news.

You can't even imagine until it happens to you. And it probably will not.

Our lot is graded and trenched in preparation for the foundation. That is a wonderful thing but, the loss still sometimes overwhelms me. If I get emotional on other threads, please try to understand. I am getting closer to going home. It has been an emotional journey.

Shell, I'm glad your home is finally being built, and want you to know that I understand the loss of all of those sentimental things that all of us cherish and take for granted.  My SIL's home is getting there, too.  She had many of the photos we would have loved copies of but they are gone.  We did give them a picture for Christmas that we'd had copied and framed.  She cried and BIL said thank you several times.  It made us feel good that we could give them something to start with when the walls are ready. 

Hope all goes well moving forward, and keep giving us updates.  ((((Hugs))))

The picture was a wonderful idea and I totally understand her crying. I think a lot of people do not realize how special the little things are until they are gone. Have you scanned the photos you have and put the disk in a safety dep box? Make copies of the disk and give to other family members. ---

Insurance recovery tip from CARe Inc. (Community Assisting Recovery Inc.) www.carehelp.org

Ever since our fire in 2003, I’ve been obsessed with scanning everything. I’ve started scanning samples of my kids school work, pictures people give me, any bills or statements that can’t be retrieved online (although that is significantly less than a couple of years ago) and receipts. Yes, receipts.

I think before the fire you would’ve thought this was insane (and maybe some of you still do) but as soon as I got fed up with paper (about 2006) I started scanning every receipt I got. For two years I’ve been scanning everything on my flatbed scanner, but this past year I got busy and I have an entire years worth of receipts piled up on my desk just begging to be scanned. I dreaded the thought.

It was then that I decided to break down and buy a receipt scanning system from Neat Co. It’s a tiny little scanner (about 10.5x1.5x1.25) that is powered solely by a USB cable (a selling point on it’s own if you want to scan on the road). It comes with it’s own custom software called NeatReceipts. It “reads” the receipt and enters the information in a proprietary database that allows you to organize your receipts very nicely. The OCR software isn’t 100% perfect, but it’s close enough. I sat down, installed it and did almost ½ of my pile in just one evening.

By the way, the IRS has allowed the use of digital records (including scanned receipts) since 1997 and Rev. Proc. 97-22 (see page 9, column 2 of the linked document).

One thing that is starting to make me a little upset is the sales tax category. It automatically reads how much sales tax is on each receipt and puts the amount in it’s own category. I’m not upset at the software, but the amount of money I’m spending on sales tax (and sales tax on gas is not called out on the receipt)!!! It’s disturbing, but it might also be helpful when you go to take the sales tax deduction on your taxes.

Something like this might also be very helpful when tracking things like a large insurance claim. For example, if you’re tracking all of your replacement items to get the depreciation holdback, this software allows for you to organize your receipts, total them and print them back out. It even squeezes more than one receipt per page if the receipts are small enough to do so. If you can print to PDF from your computer you can print and email them to your adjuster or tax preparer.

Although there are a few quirky things about this scanner, all in all I think it’s another great way to keep organized.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #410 on: January 21, 2009, 01:53:33 AM »

We used to have chat here at Scared Monkeys. Klaas would remember the reason it was taken off better than I do, but it didn't last very long.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #411 on: January 21, 2009, 01:57:14 AM »

Hi Shell!!! I'm sorry, I didn't see you!!

Oh, the scanner is a fabulous idea!!!!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #412 on: January 21, 2009, 01:59:38 AM »

Shell? Honest, you have been in my prayers for a long time, and my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry you've had this to go through!!! I'm glad your house is getting started, but I know it won't replace the things near to your heart.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #413 on: January 21, 2009, 02:12:56 AM »

Shell, this has been such a long journey for you. I'm so sorry this fell to you to go through. I remember being so worried, and so relieved to finally hear from you. It hit me when you asked for a simple recipe that had been lost that all those things that are so familiar, that we take for granted, and are at our fingertips, suddenly weren't there for you. I remember pulling it from my file to post it for you and thinking how simple for me, and how difficult for you it was. You've been very brave, and don't worry about it if you get emotional on occasion. You are among friends, and we understand. {{HUGS TO YOU, SHELL}}

The thing is, we could have not gotten out of the house. Our phone in the bedroom was not working so if had I been sound asleep, I can tell you it is unlikely I would have heard the phone. My husband was sawing logs about that time and he certainly would not have been awakened.  They have started doing a reverse 911 calling but I had no knowledge of it until I got the 911 call telling us to prepare to evacuate. We did not even know a 2nd fire had started! (The first one was really far away from us) Shortly after that call, we got the 2nd call saying "Get out of your house NOW". I threw a couple pair of jeans and tops in a suitcase, a pair of flip flops and sandals, pj's and a robe (as if they would have sleeping arangements and showers at the exacuation center)    The wind that night was about 80 mph. Grabbed my medications and dogs, didn't even grab a sweater, blanket or coat. Recipes can be replaced. The handwritten ones of my Mom, Sister and Grandmom's can't be replaced. Lives can't be replaced, so in the end, God was good to us. In many, many ways.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #414 on: January 21, 2009, 02:15:18 AM »

Shell? Honest, you have been in my prayers for a long time, and my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry you've had this to go through!!! I'm glad your house is getting started, but I know it won't replace the things near to your heart.

Hey there CBB, thank you for your prayers.

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #415 on: January 21, 2009, 02:23:14 AM »

Shell.....my thoughts are with you as you go through this process. I do understand. It happened to me, although many years ago and at a much younger age. Hang in there.

Thanks Nut, things are looking up. It is  a difficult thing to experience at any age. I just realized the other day that I am never without shoes or something on my feet and before the fire I went barefoot around the house. My husband says---that is because you want to always be ready to go.    Odd how the human mind handles things.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #416 on: January 21, 2009, 02:27:23 AM »

Shell, this has been such a long journey for you. I'm so sorry this fell to you to go through. I remember being so worried, and so relieved to finally hear from you. It hit me when you asked for a simple recipe that had been lost that all those things that are so familiar, that we take for granted, and are at our fingertips, suddenly weren't there for you. I remember pulling it from my file to post it for you and thinking how simple for me, and how difficult for you it was. You've been very brave, and don't worry about it if you get emotional on occasion. You are among friends, and we understand. {{HUGS TO YOU, SHELL}}

The thing is, we could have not gotten out of the house. Our phone in the bedroom was not working so if had I been sound asleep, I can tell you it is unlikely I would have heard the phone. My husband was sawing logs about that time and he certainly would not have been awakened.  They have started doing a reverse 911 calling but I had no knowledge of it until I got the 911 call telling us to prepare to evacuate. We did not even know a 2nd fire had started! (The first one was really far away from us) Shortly after that call, we got the 2nd call saying "Get out of your house NOW". I threw a couple pair of jeans and tops in a suitcase, a pair of flip flops and sandals, pj's and a robe (as if they would have sleeping arangements and showers at the exacuation center)    The wind that night was about 80 mph. Grabbed my medications and dogs, didn't even grab a sweater, blanket or coat. Recipes can be replaced. The handwritten ones of my Mom, Sister and Grandmom's can't be replaced. Lives can't be replaced, so in the end, God was good to us. In many, many ways.

OMG, Shell...........
You're right. You do have a lot to be thankful for!!!

That must have been terrifying!!!
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #417 on: January 21, 2009, 02:31:57 AM »

Imagine being in your 50's and everything you have worked for and accumulated, including things of sentimental value, daily use and otherwise, is reduced to a horrible stench and ashes. Every heirloom and relic is ash. Every photo of all relatives many as far back as the 1800's and your children from birth onward, is reduced to ashes. No photos: baby books, first drawings, confirmations, Easters, Christmas mornings, first day of school. All those events one takes a photo of. Grandfathers highchair, Great Grandfathers letter to his parents from the gold rush, your childs first drawing and first day at school and many, many more cherished momentos are all gone. They do live in the memory. That is the good news.

You can't even imagine until it happens to you. And it probably will not.

Our lot is graded and trenched in preparation for the foundation. That is a wonderful thing but, the loss still sometimes overwhelms me. If I get emotional on other threads, please try to understand. I am getting closer to going home. It has been an emotional journey.

Shell, this has been an emotional journey for you......I have few momentos of my young life and cherish them deeply..losing them would be like losing a part of who I am....I feel your loss...so please know your emotions are felt by many of us. I don't talk much about my life...I have a wonderful life and don't want to jinx it...but it was a very long time coming....getting closer to home is an amazing feeling.....and I am so proud to walk this with you.

Sunny,  I am pleased and proud to have you and others here walking with me. I haven't wanted to talk much about the details of the fire, I was too angry. I have turned a corner. Who would think such a thing as leveling the ground and digging of trenches would be such a delightful site. When we are standing on the soil of our site, it is the most comforting feeling. I suppose the site is a burial ground of sorts. I have grieved and mourned and it is time to move on.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #418 on: January 21, 2009, 02:34:38 AM »

You inspire me, Shell. I believe you will emerge from all this stronger, as a matter of fact, I think you've already begun! 

You Go Girl!!!

{{HUGS}}
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #419 on: January 21, 2009, 02:41:31 AM »

Shell ~ SunnyinTX's post says it for me too.  No, I've never had a catastrophic loss as you have, but after you have shared your experiences with us, it has made me sit up and pay attention and do a household inventory, video'd my belongs, got with my insurance agent and made changes to the policy, have started scanning photos, and yet I realized I still don't think I could be prepared for what you have been through.  It would just make a terrible thing more bearable.  And I thank you for sharing with us, with what you are feeling, with the advice you've given and I wish I could ease your sadness.  You've been a monkey friend to us here for a long, long time. 

Muffy, I do realize there are far worse things that could happen to a person. The postings the past few days have been heartbreaking. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.