April 27, 2024, 10:20:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #13 12/16/08 -02/02/09  (Read 191517 times)
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #420 on: January 21, 2009, 02:52:23 AM »

You inspire me, Shell. I believe you will emerge from all this stronger, as a matter of fact, I think you've already begun! 

You Go Girl!!!

{{HUGS}}

Aw shucks, thanks. I still on occasion have my snippy, throw me a pity party days.  One of the support groups has solicited people who feel they can help the latest groups who have had fires. I can't bring myself to go that far, it is too soon for me. However, a good number of people from the 07 fires have offered their help. Oh, this is another neat thing. One of the families (from 07 fires) has some elderly neighbors who was in serious need of some of the basics of life. The word got out among our support group, and a lot of us pitched in and have either donated items or money to help out this couple. So many of us received kindness from strangers, and it feels good to give back. These are the types of things that have risen from the ashes.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #421 on: January 21, 2009, 03:14:44 AM »

I was at Nordstrom today. The line was reallyyyyyyyyy long. There was one table with what looked like a variety of products, but not much of a variety. Some of the other stores probably had a different selection, and Nordstrom might have out a different assortment tomorrow, but no way would I stand in that line, unless I knew a particular day when they would have the Chanel available.   

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #422 on: January 21, 2009, 09:02:22 AM »

Thanks Nicnic, bearly & all. i came across these pics yesterday when everyone was posting pics of themselves!  i wish they weren't so big. Is there a way to downsize them after they are posted that i can do, or does Klaas have to do it! I hate having that giant pic of me on there!  The horse with the flowers wasn't finished in that pic; the clearcoat really brings out the colors! I have other pics that are of it finished, i'll find them!

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
crazybabyborg
« Reply #423 on: January 21, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »

I'll resize them for you Monken. They are BEAUTIFUL!! Oh, you are very. very talented! Thank you for sharing the pics with us!!

All fixed now, Monken! 2nj helped me figure it out, and I learned how to delete pics attached from your computer, so thanks!  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:15:37 PM by CBB » Logged
crazybabyborg
« Reply #424 on: January 21, 2009, 11:54:29 AM »

2nj? Are you here? I have a question..............
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #425 on: January 21, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »

Imagine being in your 50's and everything you have worked for and accumulated, including things of sentimental value, daily use and otherwise, is reduced to a horrible stench and ashes. Every heirloom and relic is ash. Every photo of all relatives many as far back as the 1800's and your children from birth onward, is reduced to ashes. No photos: baby books, first drawings, confirmations, Easters, Christmas mornings, first day of school. All those events one takes a photo of. Grandfathers highchair, Great Grandfathers letter to his parents from the gold rush, your childs first drawing and first day at school and many, many more cherished momentos are all gone. They do live in the memory. That is the good news.

You can't even imagine until it happens to you. And it probably will not.

Our lot is graded and trenched in preparation for the foundation. That is a wonderful thing but, the loss still sometimes overwhelms me. If I get emotional on other threads, please try to understand. I am getting closer to going home. It has been an emotional journey.

Shell, I'm glad your home is finally being built, and want you to know that I understand the loss of all of those sentimental things that all of us cherish and take for granted.  My SIL's home is getting there, too.  She had many of the photos we would have loved copies of but they are gone.  We did give them a picture for Christmas that we'd had copied and framed.  She cried and BIL said thank you several times.  It made us feel good that we could give them something to start with when the walls are ready. 

Hope all goes well moving forward, and keep giving us updates.  ((((Hugs))))

The picture was a wonderful idea and I totally understand her crying. I think a lot of people do not realize how special the little things are until they are gone. Have you scanned the photos you have and put the disk in a safety dep box? Make copies of the disk and give to other family members. ---

Insurance recovery tip from CARe Inc. (Community Assisting Recovery Inc.) www.carehelp.org

Ever since our fire in 2003, I’ve been obsessed with scanning everything. I’ve started scanning samples of my kids school work, pictures people give me, any bills or statements that can’t be retrieved online (although that is significantly less than a couple of years ago) and receipts. Yes, receipts.

I think before the fire you would’ve thought this was insane (and maybe some of you still do) but as soon as I got fed up with paper (about 2006) I started scanning every receipt I got. For two years I’ve been scanning everything on my flatbed scanner, but this past year I got busy and I have an entire years worth of receipts piled up on my desk just begging to be scanned. I dreaded the thought.

It was then that I decided to break down and buy a receipt scanning system from Neat Co. It’s a tiny little scanner (about 10.5x1.5x1.25) that is powered solely by a USB cable (a selling point on it’s own if you want to scan on the road). It comes with it’s own custom software called NeatReceipts. It “reads” the receipt and enters the information in a proprietary database that allows you to organize your receipts very nicely. The OCR software isn’t 100% perfect, but it’s close enough. I sat down, installed it and did almost ½ of my pile in just one evening.

By the way, the IRS has allowed the use of digital records (including scanned receipts) since 1997 and Rev. Proc. 97-22 (see page 9, column 2 of the linked document).

One thing that is starting to make me a little upset is the sales tax category. It automatically reads how much sales tax is on each receipt and puts the amount in it’s own category. I’m not upset at the software, but the amount of money I’m spending on sales tax (and sales tax on gas is not called out on the receipt)!!! It’s disturbing, but it might also be helpful when you go to take the sales tax deduction on your taxes.

Something like this might also be very helpful when tracking things like a large insurance claim. For example, if you’re tracking all of your replacement items to get the depreciation holdback, this software allows for you to organize your receipts, total them and print them back out. It even squeezes more than one receipt per page if the receipts are small enough to do so. If you can print to PDF from your computer you can print and email them to your adjuster or tax preparer.

Although there are a few quirky things about this scanner, all in all I think it’s another great way to keep organized.

Shell,

Sadly, I have to admit we do not have a working scanner at the moment, and are wishing for a new computer, as well.  We only have some pictures on CD, and I am always in a quandary with respect to what paper receipts and statements to keep.  What to save, shred or throw away piles up on a weekly basis.  In fact, I have been in a purge mode for several months and am seeing no light in the tunnel, as yet.  It's overwhelming what we've accumulated in 30 + years.  The software sounds like something we should add to our wish list.

Your advice is excellent and I will make an effort to incorporate it in my attempt to organize.  In fact, two friends of mine many years ago were single and living in their own apartments.  One had been robbed and was devastated at the loss of sentimental items.  The other had the sense to do exactly what MiffyBee has done in her home, and logged/documented what she owned, took photos of valuables and stored them in a safe deposit box.  I had started to follow her actions by taking some photos way back then, but life and raising our sons took the front seat and that project went to the procrastination file. 

I have not spoken to SIL, lately, so I cannot give an update on their rebuild.  It's been since Sept. '07, but I do know that despite contractor problems, they are getting there.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #426 on: January 21, 2009, 12:10:18 PM »

I was here, but lost in thought writing a post to Shell.

I'll look for you.     

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

crazybabyborg
« Reply #427 on: January 21, 2009, 12:54:50 PM »

I was here, but lost in thought writing a post to Shell.

I'll look for you.     

You found me, and helped!! Thank you, 2nj!!   
JuJu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #428 on: January 22, 2009, 02:03:53 PM »

how do you find out if your computer has a virus.....tia

Regrets, I've had a few......
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #429 on: January 22, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »

Viruses and trojan horses??  My computer got infected 2 week ago....it started but just running slow...then I was getting knocked off...then I had trouble signing on.....we ran all the virus scans we had.....but still couldn't get rid of the trojan horses..we thought they were gone...but wham there they were again...files became corrupt..it has been mess. We were using IE....but have now changed to Firefox exclusively...still not running great....I am able to get on but everything is in slow motion.....my DH has been working on it....got a new Fix-It CD to try tonight....we have McAfee and a firewall but it still got infected....DANG!!......ANY IDEAS!!!  (I am also going to post this in the computer help thread)

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
JuJu
Monkey Junky

« Reply #430 on: January 22, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »

that's what mine is doing......can you actually look in your computer and find the virus?

Regrets, I've had a few......
always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #431 on: January 22, 2009, 05:11:22 PM »

O/t again - has anyone see BT girl???  I am missing her.

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #432 on: January 22, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »

She last posted at SM on 1/19/09.  She can likely be found at Goldmonkey or CnG (unless she has been banned like so many others recently from CnG)
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #433 on: January 22, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »

that's what mine is doing......can you actually look in your computer and find the virus?

You should have a virus program installed on your computer.  Norton & McAfee are two you can purchase.  There are also downloadable virus and anti-spyware programs at http://www.download.com/windows/ 

Most programs can be scheduled to run automatically, and can be run manually, especially when you suspect a problem.  If the virus definitions are up to date, when the program runs it will detect any virus and quarantine them.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #434 on: January 22, 2009, 05:42:49 PM »

Call Microsoft!!  They will get it out for free.  I posted their number in one of my old all posts!!  I will see if I can find it. 
da sparkenator
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #435 on: January 22, 2009, 06:01:29 PM »

Call Microsoft!!  They will get it out for free.  I posted their number in one of my old all posts!!  I will see if I can find it. 

Mytime, you are really styling, girlfriend!

What day is it?  How long have I been here?
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #436 on: January 22, 2009, 06:06:11 PM »

She last posted at SM on 1/19/09.  She can likely be found at Goldmonkey or CnG (unless she has been banned like so many others recently from CnG)

I was reading in the Caylee thread and saw myself mentioned. I kinda feel like a celebrity now. 

Always1 - thanks for missing me. I've been trying to read in the Caylee thread when I can and keep up there , but I've been really busy so haven't done any posting. I haven't had a chance to read the most recent documents, so I'm trying to get the high points of them from what others are saying about them.

Actually, I HAVE been banned from C&G, although I totally have no clue why. I made a supportive post in the stop smoking thread over there, and the next thing I knew, I was no longer a member. No idea what's up with that. 

Thanks again, A1.

I Stand With The Girl
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #437 on: January 22, 2009, 06:08:28 PM »

I was reading in the Caylee thread and saw myself mentioned. I kinda feel like a celebrity now. 

Always1 - thanks for missing me. I've been trying to read in the Caylee thread when I can and keep up there , but I've been really busy so haven't done any posting. I haven't had a chance to read the most recent documents, so I'm trying to get the high points of them from what others are saying about them.

Actually, I HAVE been banned from C&G, although I totally have no clue why. I made a supportive post in the stop smoking thread over there, and the next thing I knew, I was no longer a member. No idea what's up with that. 

Thanks again, A1.

BTGirl - I've heard alot of people have been banned and none of them appear to know why. 
flossy
Monkey Junky

Got milk?

« Reply #438 on: January 22, 2009, 06:09:05 PM »

Thanks again, A1.

Good to see you BTGirl! The same thing happened to me over there!  I don't know if I accidentally flashed my panties during a cheer, or what!  (maybe the fact that my avatar shows clearly that I don't even wear panties has something to do with it!!)

Anyway, I miss seeing you here!

If it's not one thing, it's an udder.
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #439 on: January 22, 2009, 06:09:48 PM »

Viruses and trojan horses??  My computer got infected 2 week ago....it started but just running slow...then I was getting knocked off...then I had trouble signing on.....we ran all the virus scans we had.....but still couldn't get rid of the trojan horses..we thought they were gone...but wham there they were again...files became corrupt..it has been mess. We were using IE....but have now changed to Firefox exclusively...still not running great....I am able to get on but everything is in slow motion.....my DH has been working on it....got a new Fix-It CD to try tonight....we have McAfee and a firewall but it still got infected....DANG!!......ANY IDEAS!!!  (I am also going to post this in the computer help thread)

Sad to say, yet if you guys have done all you can to fix the virus and trojan horses, and your comp still runs slow... seems the only thing that has fixed mine in the past when that has happened is to reformat.  Some of those trojan horses are made to reappear after a period of time.  No way to fully be sure it's all gone except to wipe everything away by reformatting. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.