March 28, 2024, 03:17:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual Recipes  (Read 17602 times)
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: December 14, 2008, 12:08:04 PM »

Does anyone have any unusual recipes that they would like to share?

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »

The only thing i can come up with and it may not even be unusual, but they were new to me at one time from my Greek neighbor  and they are so awsome.  Not sure if this is similar to what you are are looking for and it may not even be THAT uncommon.   I'd have to get the recipe from my hubby, but know they are made in grape leaves.....  Let me know and I'll get it for you.  Maybe be more specifice as to unusual to you, as we all have sometihg different  each of us. that may not be unusual to us?

I'll check around as well.  When did you need this?  Please email me through Klaas, since I don't come here often, I may forget.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:44:40 AM »

The only thing i can come up with and it may not even be unusual, but they were new to me at one time from my Greek neighbor  and they are so awsome.  Not sure if this is similar to what you are are looking for and it may not even be THAT uncommon.   I'd have to get the recipe from my hubby, but know they are made in grape leaves.....  Let me know and I'll get it for you.  Maybe be more specifice as to unusual to you, as we all have sometihg different  each of us. that may not be unusual to us?

I'll check around as well.  When did you need this?  Please email me through Klaas, since I don't come here often, I may forget.

Hi Di:

I meant not just your ordinary meatloaf, hamburger, hotdog recipe.  Something with the flavor of the nationalities we have mixed here to make us the melting pot using spices we don't use every day.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:29:34 PM »

Has anyone tried this?  I got it in a group share.

"DANGEROUS" (YUM!) CHOCOLATE CAKE-IN-A-MUG***
1 coffee mug
4 Tbsp. cake flour (plain, not self-rising)
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 egg
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. oil
Small splash of vanilla
3 Tbsp. chocolate chips, optional

Add dry ingredients to mug, mix well with a fork.
Add egg, mix thoroughly.
Pour in milk and oil and vanilla, mix well.
Add chips, if using.
Put mug in microwave, and cook for three minutes on 1000 watts.
Cake will rise over top of mug--do not be alarmed!
Allow to cool a little; tip onto a plate if desired.
Eat!
(This can serve two if you want to feel slightly more virtuous.)

***And WHY is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only five minutes away from chocolate cake any time of the day or night!!!***

hotping
Monkey Junky

All Prayers Will Be Answered in Time!

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 02:09:13 AM »

Today.....I got the mug cake recipe in an email from My cousin and made the mistake of telling My Husband about it...He tried it that night and it was quick easy and good..... 

In God We Trust!
Prayers Will Bring Natalee Home!
May 2010 Bring Natalee Home to Rest In Peace!
cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 01:58:56 PM »

Can someone tell me if this means All Purpose Flour or the actual Cake Flour? TYIA

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
oldiebutgoodie
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 02:34:21 AM »

Does anyone have any unusual recipes that they would like to share?
This isn't exactly a recipe, but I just stumbled across this video from ABC News:  http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6632953

It's for bacon cupcakes.  Eek.   I cannot imagine what that would taste like.  I don't think I want breakfast food mixed with a sweet dessert item.  It just doesn't seem very appetizing.

BETH HOLLOWAY: "We will not let this go until we take Natalee home. It will never end."
Sieko
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:48:41 PM »

We've been to Jamaica a few times and just love Jerk chicken/pork.  This is the recipe I have from Jamaica, but I adjust it to our liking.

1 to ?? scotch bonnet peppers (Habaneros)
1 bunch scallions, both white and green parts trimmed and coarsely chopped
2 shallots, halved
1 small onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons ground allspice
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup water

Throw it all in a blender.  Marinade meat overnight or for a few hours (keep some sauce for basting).  Throw on the BBQ (charcoal is best), and baste often. 

When cooking pork, I add nutmeg to the sauce.  I also add less water than the recipe calls for.

KeysBreeze
Scared Monkey

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »

1 coffee mug
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 egg
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. oil
Small splash of vanilla

Add egg, mix thoroughly.
Add chips, if using.
Eat!

Because now we are all only five minutes away from chocolate cake any time of the day or night!!!***

I'm going to try this tonight with vanilla ice cream!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:53:56 PM »

Let us know if it blows up 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
peachflower
Scared Monkey

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »

1 coffee mug
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 egg
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. oil
Small splash of vanilla

Add egg, mix thoroughly.
Add chips, if using.
Eat!

I love it... this is GREAT
mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 04:05:23 PM »

i work at a sushi bar and the owners are Korean....
Spicy chicken tofu soup
4 good scoops of korean chili paste (i can only fined it at that asian market but if your in a bigger city it may be at the store)
1 package tofu, cut into squares
2 spoonfuls of korean chili powder
3 cups of cubed chicken (raw)
2 handfuls of shred cabbage, carrots, onions
1 handful of kimchee if ya got it!

toast the chili powder in large pot but DON'T burn it...you can smell if it burns, just toss it out and put more in..
after toasting the powder dump everything in a large pot, add about a coffee pot and a half of water (hey, i only make it at work and this is how I do it)  put it on high heat and boil the heck out of it (with lid) for about 30 minuets..

it makes enough to feed 3 cooks, 2 sushi chefs, 2 servers, and a dish washer....then what ever is left i take home and eat later...YUM!

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »

i work at a sushi bar and the owners are Korean....
Spicy chicken tofu soup
4 good scoops of korean chili paste (i can only fined it at that asian market but if your in a bigger city it may be at the store)
1 package tofu, cut into squares
2 spoonfuls of korean chili powder
3 cups of cubed chicken (raw)
2 handfuls of shred cabbage, carrots, onions
1 handful of kimchee if ya got it!

toast the chili powder in large pot but DON'T burn it...you can smell if it burns, just toss it out and put more in..
after toasting the powder dump everything in a large pot, add about a coffee pot and a half of water (hey, i only make it at work and this is how I do it)  put it on high heat and boil the heck out of it (with lid) for about 30 minuets..

it makes enough to feed 3 cooks, 2 sushi chefs, 2 servers, and a dish washer....then what ever is left i take home and eat later...YUM!
oh no..i forgot the spicy...about 3 spoonfuls of saracha sauce (red rooster sauce you seen at the take-out place)

mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 01:30:09 PM »

this is yummy and my dinner about 4 times a month...
take 6 jalop. peppers cut them length wise de-seed and remove lining
stuff them full of cream-cheese
wrap bacon around them
broil them for about 30 min and
YUMM!

mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »

this is yummy and my dinner about 4 times a month...
take 6 jalop. peppers cut them length wise de-seed and remove lining
stuff them full of cream-cheese
wrap bacon around them
broil them for about 30 min and
YUMM!
oh jeeze...bake..DON'T BROIL!!!  you'll end up with little carbon nuggets if you broil for 30 min

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »

This isn't one of my recipes, (I don't eat meat) but saw it in the news and felt it would definitely fall under the "Unusual Recipes" category:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FEA_FOOD_CARNIVOROUS_COCKTAILS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=USug 21, 2:44 PM EDT

Carnivorous cocktails put meat in your glass

By CARYN BROOKS
For The Associated Press

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) -- First you cook the bacon, remove the fat and tear it into pieces. It sounds like the start of a nice breakfast, but it's actually the first part of mixologist Adam Seger's Baconcello recipe. The next step is steeping the bacon in vodka for 72 hours.

Bacon-infused spirits and other so-called "carnivorous cocktails" are quirky options on the menus of some cutting-edge bars these days, and with the introduction this May of a mass-produced product called Bakon Vodka, flesh-flavored spirits are beginning to nudge their way into the mainstream drinking scene.

Seger, general manager, mixologist and sommelier of Chicago bar/restaurant Nacional 27, is part of a multitasking breed of barkeep that likes to incorporate culinary techniques into drinks. Bacon is the most popular meat-in-a-glass, but Seger has also made a ham-and-cheese cocktail, while renowned mixologist Todd Thrasher has experimented with foie gras and lamb.

Seger says that savory drinks follow cooking logic. "You use alcohol to deglaze a pan when you cook, so it makes sense that you can inverse it," he says.

To taste Thrasher's BLT cocktail, you have to head to his speakeasy PX in Alexandria. Can't find it? That's because there's no sign and you have to knock on an imposing door to gain entrance.

On a recent summer night, we entered and found Jayson Smith manning the bar, doling out the BLT - a drink full of mind-bending, taste bud-tingling turns. A huge ice cube, made with lettuce water, anchors a glass rimmed with bacon salt. Clear tomato water and bacon-infused vodka are mixed and poured over the lettuce cube.

Thrasher also makes an off-the-menu special called "MacGriddle," which tastes like a McGriddle from McDonald's. This one mixes the bacon vodka with cream, maple syrup, a whole egg and confectioner's sugar. Smith warned us, "It coats your palate" and he was right: It's very sweet and good as a one-off dessert drink.
Thrasher echoes Seger when he talks about his overall mixology inspiration.

"I love food, I love cooking, but the limitations of a bar have been alcohol and just alcohol," he says. "I found the limitations of being a bartender, for lack of a better word, limiting. So I started looking through cookbooks to find inspiration."

What started Thrasher's engine when it comes to carnivorous cocktails was reading about how famed chef and author Auguste Escoffier poached foie gras (duck or goose liver) in Armagnac (grape brandy) in the late 1880s and then used the fat-washed spirit to flavor sauces.

"That's how the whole situation started for me," he says. "That's when I started thinking about things other than what a bartender is supposed to use. In 2005 I created a drink called The Pear of Desire using foie gras as garnish. At the beginning it wasn't so well-received, but a week into it a buzz started happening and everyone started ordering it."

The new commercial product Bakon Vodka, launched by three friends in Seattle, seems as far from the barroom experimentations of Adam Seger and Todd Thrasher as artisanal bacon is to a jar of Bacon Bits. The most obvious reason? Bakon isn't made with real bacon.

One of the owners, Sven Liden, explains: "After a lot of testing and figuring out shelf-life and other issues, we decided that an infusion was too complicated and messy. The upside is that it's vegan and gluten-free."

Because Bakon's bacon-ness is chemically induced, it comes off far more smoky and strong than the bar infusions. But for those who might not have access to painstakingly infused liquor, Bakon Vodka (which currently sells by mail order at http://www.drinkupny.com for $29.99) seems to be appealing. Linden says demand has outpaced his predictions.

"Our initial expectation was that we could do a small pilot test in the Pacific Northwest with a few hundred cases. Not a huge amount, but we thought it would last 2-3 months based on similar introductions of specialty liquors," he says. "That run sold out in about three weeks."

Seger, the mixologist from Chicago, has tasted Bakon Vodka and fears that those who sample that product first will get the wrong idea about the real possibilities of carnivorous cocktails. "It tasted like vodka with a liquid smoke rather than an infusion you do with a high-quality protein," he says.

For anyone who has tasted the amazingly refined Old Fashioned served at Manhattan's PDT bar - made with bacon-infused Four Roses bourbon and Grade B maple syrup - there is no comparison.

However, Linden says the bartenders he's supplied in his area are enthused. "In Washington we're starting to see repeat sales to the same customers, and we're seeing bars put it on their permanent menus - so we know it's more than just a novelty purchase," he says.

Regardless of the source, the carnivorous cocktail movement is expanding people's view of drinking. As Thrasher says: "If you drink like you eat, you can have some amazing things happen."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 07:11:59 AM »

Hello Monkeys,

A cup of coffee, with a packet of (dry) Swiss Miss Cocoa is wonderful.
I was out of milk, I poured 2/3 cup of black coffee and added the contents from a packet of dry cocoa mix, mix, wonderful.

Black coffee and a packet of dry cocoa mix is divine!

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 09:41:48 AM »

This may not be unusual to some but I was at a Christmas Party recently and this dip? or spread? not sure what it is really called, was served and as much as it looked very strange to me it was delicious.....

2 8oz bags of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 dry package Good Seasons Italian Dressing - prepared
Diced tomatoes
Sliced green onion
Diced green peppers
1 small can chopped or sliced black olives
Handful of fresh Cilantro chopped

Mix all together and serve with scoop tortilla chips, crackers or like I did with the left overs put it on hamburgers. Enjoy

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »

thanks for the recipe tips! sounds good ! will try them...

seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 06:23:43 PM »

I have an unusual tip: Dry Bisquick

My cookie dough was too gooey or too wet, so I added "dry" Bisquick to the mixture ,it worked beautifully.
The drop cookies came out crunchy, the Bisquick gave a nice texture the cookie dough, by a good mistake.
I thought of adding more flour but instead The Bisquick dry mix did the job.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.