March 28, 2024, 06:34:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SEAN GOLDMAN - 2004 Int'l Abduction Story - REUNITED WITH HIS DAD 12/24/09  (Read 40491 times)
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 11:17:55 PM »

Lawyer: NJ man wins custody of son taken to Brazil
By BILL NEWILL – 1 hour ago

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A federal court in Brazil has ruled that a New Jersey father should get custody of his 8-year-old son, whose mother took him to the South American nation after their divorce and died there, the man's lawyer said Monday.

Attorney Patricia Apy, who represents David Goldman, said she was notified of the decision Monday afternoon. The ruling calls for the boy to be turned over to his father on Wednesday, Apy said.

The boy's Brazilian mother took him to Brazil in 2004. She remarried and never returned to the United States. She died last year of complications from the birth of another child.

Eight-year-old Sean Goldman was being raised by his stepfather.

A Brazilian lawyer for the mother's family said he will appeal the decision to return the boy.

"Many times the boy has expressed his desire to stay in Brazil," attorney Sergio Tostes told local Globo TV. "We are doing everything we can to see justice prevail."

A telephone call to David Goldman's home in Tinton Falls connected to an answering machine with a full inbox Monday night.

U.S. Rep. Christopher Smith, a Republican from New Jersey, intervened in Goldman's case in February and traveled to Brazil with him. While Smith was there, Goldman was able to meet with his son for the first time in nearly five years.

The case got high-level attention with international diplomatic overtones this spring when the U.S. House and Senate called on Brazil to permit the boy's return, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton made the same request and the presidents of the U.S. and Brazil discussed the matter.

Clinton said Goldman's case is an example of a problem around the world. She said there were nearly 50 U.S. children in similar situations in Brazil who should be returned to the U.S. — and more around the world.

Clinton brought up the subject while speaking Monday at a joint news conference in San Salvador, El Salvador, with newly inaugurated Salvadoran President Mauricio Funes.

"It's taken a long time for this day to come, but we will work with the Goldman family and the Brazilian government with the goal of ensuring this young boy's return," she said.

Apy said Monday night that she had not received a copy of the Brazilian court decision but expected to get one and have it translated from Portuguese into English on Tuesday.

The order calls for the boy's immediate return, Apy said.

"The court has made remarkable conditions to be able to facilitate that happening," she said.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jX3m1T5CqV9pKBnEeqWLITU4h72AD98I7UQ80

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 08:08:57 AM »

that is certainly good news!
David Goldman has fought very hard to get his son back...
justice prevails!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 08:19:02 AM »

that is certainly good news!
David Goldman has fought very hard to get his son back...
justice prevails!

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 11:52:07 PM »

I heard on the news tonight that the decision was reversed by a Brazilian judge.....it has to go to the full court???  I do not yet have any documentation, but it makes me so sad for David.  I am hoping that this will still have a good outcome.  Sean must be with his father.       an angelic monkey

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 09:35:07 AM »

Monmouth County father still unable to return home with son in custody battle in Brazil

by The Associated Press Wednesday June 03, 2009, 8:10 AM
NEWARK -- A Monmouth County father said he doesn't expect to return home to New Jersey from Brazil with his 9-year-old son.

David GoldmanA federal judge in Brazil this week ordered Sean Goldman be handed over to David Goldman of Tinton Falls. But a judge on Tuesday night held up the boy's return so a court could review the decision. Now it's unclear when it might be resolved.

Speaking in Brazil, David Goldman told NBC's "Today" show today that his son mostly likely won't be on a plane with him by the afternoon.

Goldman said he will try to visit his son.

Goldman's wife took the boy to her native Brazil in 2004 and later married. She died last year. The boy is living with his stepfather.

The case has reached the highest levels of government in the U.S. and Brazil.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/monmouth_county_father_still_u.html

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »

Have been hearing this news all day...supposedly David was going to be able to see Sean today but does anyone know if that happened?
I feel so bad for this father...I can't believe that this is happening in this day and age!

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2009, 08:26:21 PM »

Have been hearing this news all day...supposedly David was going to be able to see Sean today but does anyone know if that happened?
I feel so bad for this father...I can't believe that this is happening in this day and age!

Latest updates or info can be found here:

http://bringseanhome.org/home.html

There is the following which may air tomorrow:

Dateline NBC which traveled to Brazil with David has tentatively announced that it will be airing a complete one hour report on the Goldman case on Sunday June 7th at 10:00 p.m. Eastern, 9:00 p.m. Central. For supporters in the Mountain and Pacific time zones please check your local listings for the channel and correct time. The situation in Brazil is FLUID, please check the FORUMS on the www.BringSeanHome.org website for any breaking news on the case.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 02:11:58 PM »

'Bring Sean Home' vigil to be held Tuesday
Press Staff Report • June 15, 2009

RED BANK — Supporters of David Goldman's efforts to bring his 9-year-old son home from Brazil will hold a candlelight vigil Tuesday night at Riversides Garden Park.

Supports of David Goldman's efforts to bring his 9-year-old son home from Brazil will hold a candlelight vigil Tuesday night at Riversides Garden Park.

http://www.app.com/article/20090615/NEWS/90615070/1004/NEWS01/+Bring+Sean+Home++vigil+to+be+held+Tuesday

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »

Brazilian Supreme Court rules in favor of David Goldman
June 10, 9:47 PM · 9 comments
In a unanimous ruling today, the Brazilian Supreme Court refused to consider a request from the country's Progressive Party that argued it would be wrong to remove Sean Goldman from his Brazilian stepfamily and return him to his American father.

This was a bittersweet victory for David Goldman whose wife kidnapped their son five years ago. Since a Brazilian federal court of appeals has decided that Sean should stay in his stepfather's custody until the court hears another appeal from the Brazilian family, David Goldman still has no idea when he might be able to bring his son home.

Goldman did express pleasure that today's Supreme Court hearing brought into the open the psychological damage he says his son has suffered over the past five years. While the boy's mother and stepfather were preventing Goldman from contacting his son, they were telling the boy that his father had abandoned him.

In 2004, Sean's mother, Bruna Bianchi, took him for a two-week vacation to her native Brazil and never returned. She divorced David Goldman in Brazil and married Rio de Janeiro lawyer Joao Paulo Lins e Silva. She died last year of complications from the birth of another child, and a Rio de Janeiro state court granted Lins e Silva temporary custody of Sean.

Last week, a lower court ruling that Sean Goldman be returned to the U.S. was suspended by a supreme court justice based on a petition filed by the conservative Progressive Party, which argued that the boy has been living in the country for five years and would be stripped of his current family environment of "happiness, love and comprehension."

President Barack Obama has discussed the custody case with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva in Washington, and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has lobbied for the boy's return to his father's custody. Last week U.S. Congressman Chris Smith, a New Jersey Republican, introduced a bill that would temporarily remove Brazil from a duty-free trade program. He says Brazil received $2.75 billion in U.S. trade benefits last year.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5845-Single-Parenting-Examiner~y2009m6d10-Brazilian-Supreme-Court-rules-in-favor-of-David-Goldman

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »

CNN interview with David Goldman. (thanks, nonesuche)

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/16/father-fights-for-sons-return-on-5th-anniversary/

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7870886&page=1

Kidnapped American Boy Wants to Stay in Brazil
New Twist in 5-Year Battle By N.J. Father to Bring His Son Back to USA

By BRANDY ZADROZNY
June 18, 2009
Sean Goldman, the nine-year-old American who was taken to Brazil by his mother for a vacation and never returned, has told a psychologist that he wants to stay in Brazil.  In the transcript, released by the Brazilian family's lawyers on Wednesday, Goldman tells a psychologist that if he is sent back to New Jersey to be with his father David Goldman he will "break down totally." At several points in the interview he says, "I want to stay here in Brazil."

The boy's father, David Goldman, told "Good Morning America" earlier this week that he was elated at a Brazilian Supreme Court ruling that the country would abide by the Hague Convention, essentially clearing the way for approximately 70 allegedly kidnapped American children to come home, he said, including Sean, who was four when he was taken.

Goldman said he last saw Sean about two weeks ago.

"He's struggling," he said. "They're putting a lot of pressure on him. They've been waging this campaign to turn him against me."
The interview with Sean Goldman was conducted Monday by psychologist Terezinha Feres-Carneiro in a Rio de Janeiro hospital. It wasn't immediately clear who paid for the psychologist's services, the Associated Press reported.

When asked to draw a picture of his family, the boy drew only his stepfather, sister and Brazilian grandparents.

It's unclear how the boy's statements to the psychologist will influence the ongoing custody battle.

Visits have been so emotionally difficult that Goldman worries the stress from the excessively supervised visits could be damaging to Sean.

Goldman said a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation has proved that his son has been subjected to what he called parental alienation.

In 2008, Sean's mother Bruna Bianchi died while giving birth to a second child conceived withwith her new husband, Joao Paulo Lins e Silva, a Rio de Janeiro lawyer. Since Bianchi's death, Sean has been living with his stepfather.

Goldman said today that he had no inkling this would happen when he drove wife and son to airport five years ago.

"We all gave each other hugs and kisses," he said. "I waved goodbye with the blessings of a safe trip."
 Bringing Sean Home

Since his ex-wife's death, the New Jersey father has fought for the return of Sean, who is now nine-years old. Goldman has been through a series of successes and setbacks, winning custody in Brazilian courts only to see the decision delayed and then upheld by the country's Supreme Court.

With Brazil's Supreme Court now backing Goldman, the only hurdle that remains seems to be an appeal from Sean's Brazilian family.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MunkeyMunk
Scared Monkey

MONAVIE- Drink it. Feel it. Share it.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528481,00.html
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2009, 03:22:38 PM »

how sad they coach this little boy and his father has to remain on the side lines watching in pain his precious son.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2009, 12:11:40 AM »

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-lt-brazil-us-custody-battle,0,1451443.story
Reports: Judge says boy stays with Brazilian stepfather until custody case sorted out
STAN LEHMAN | Associate Press Writer
12:41 PM EDT, June 27, 2009
SAO PAULO (AP) — A federal judge has ruled that a 9-year-old boy at the center of an international custody battle must remain with his Brazilian stepfather until a final ruling is issued on the boy's permanent custody, local news media reported Saturday.

The ruling would overturn a separate judge's order earlier this month that Sean's biological father, U.S. citizen David Goldman, should have custody of his son six days a week whenever Goldman is in Brazil.

No one answered calls by The Associated Press to Goldman's Brazilian attorney and to the lawyer representing the stepfather.

In 2004, Sean's mother, Bruna Bianchi, took him for a vacation to her native Brazil and never returned. She later married Rio de Janeiro lawyer Joao Paulo Lins e Silva and died last year giving birth to a daughter.
he boy is now living with Lins e Silva, who wants to retain custody.

Goldman, who lives in Tinton Falls, New Jersey, has been seeking custody of Sean under the Hague Convention on international child abductions, which requires that participating countries return abducted or wrongfully retained children to the country of their "habitual residence."

A lower court in Brazil ruled earlier this month that Sean be returned to the United States, but the decision was suspended by a Brazilian Supreme Court justice based on a petition filed by a political party, which argued that removing Sean from his current family environment would hurt him.

On June 10, the Supreme Court issued yet a third ruling, that the decision on the boy's fate must be made by a federal court. It's not clear when that ruling may come.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2009, 12:34:47 AM »

Muffy, I heard this on the late news.  Just another disappointment for David Goldman in this horrible nightmare.  Sean should be with his father, not his stepfather.     

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580373,00.html?sPage=fnc/us/crime

Brazilian Court Hears Case of U.S. Boy in Custody Fight
Wednesday, December 16, 2009

RIO DE JANEIRO —  A Brazilian federal court is hearing arguments on whether a 9-year-old boy living in Brazil should be returned to his father in New Jersey.

Lawyers say that whoever loses the ruling expected Wednesday is likely to make a final appeal to another court in Brasilia.

The supreme court in June ruled the case should be heard by the federal court in Rio.

The case began in 2004, when David Goldman's wife Bruna Bianchi took their then-4-year-old son Sean to her native Brazil.

Goldman says it was to be a two-week vacation. But she stayed and so did the boy. She eventually was divorced there and remarried. She died last year, but her new husband's family is seeking to keep Sean.

Bring Sean Home:David Goldman, shown here with his son Sean, is still trying to bring him back from Brazil to New Jersey.

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34447543/ns/world_news-americas?GT1=43001

Brazil court rules for U.S. dad seeking custody
Court battle began after boy's Brazilian mother died last year

updated 35 minutes ago
RIO DE JANEIRO - A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that a 9-year-old boy living in Brazil should be returned to his American father, but the case will likely be appealed again, officials said.

A panel of three Brazilian judges ruled the boy must be handed over to his father, David Goldman, at the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro within 48 hours, said Ricardo Zamariola, Goldman's attorney.

**snipped**

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »

Thanks, Lovinlife.  I was just about to post this news.  I saw David being interviewed on the news and it's hard to see the mix of joy and pain in his eyes.  He's been there before.  I also heard that the Brazilian family members are going to appeal their Supreme Court. 

Will there be no end to this for David and Sean?   

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2009, 09:44:19 PM »

Yes..it is supposed to happen on Friday but I bet that it won't happen...
imo.....

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »

My fervent prayers this Father may bring his son home.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.