March 28, 2024, 03:52:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fashion Forum  (Read 100786 times)
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »

I need some help and I just know that some smart monkey can help me out.

I need some help with dressing up my regular wardrobe.  I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of monkey...I work in a job where it is not pratical to dress up.

I am able to wear jeans/shorts at work, I need comfy shoes - as I do have to walk and sometimes lift.  I am in my early 40's - so nothing too trendy.

I am at a loss as to how to "dress up" a simple jeans/shorts & shirt outfit.  I am NO good at knowing what type of jewelry to wear, and whether I should "match" colors or wear complimenting colors of jewelry.  (I'm not a flashy type of person)

I am also at a loss when it comes to tops....seems to me some of the tops that are fashionable now are targeted at 20 year old - size 2's.  In other words, I don't want to look like I am trying to re-live 20 years ago, but I also don't want to look like I am a year or 2 away from granny clothes and polyester!

Can anyone help a confused  Monkey in a rut???????

PLEASE??????????????????????????

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »

Kimmy

Something I have always told any of my clients who are looking for help is this, "Keep it simple".  Its so very true, the more you add or clutter on, or try to mix, it just gets messy!
For you, saying you are not a flashy person, or do not care to be in with the 20ish trends, that is completely understandable.  I have a few ideas for you though, so here ya go!

Add some capri's to your wardrobe to break up the jeans/shorts routine.  Solid color, striped, and even floral printed capri's are very trendy right now within your age group.
Think outside of the box in terms of color.  For your shirts try some jewel toned solid colors and/or prints.  Mix that up with a nice pair of capris or khakis.  A solid colored top with a stiped pair of capris, add a color matching floral scarf as a belt, and you have a divine outfit right there. 
The mix and match of patterns and prints is hot right now, no matter your age.  Keep the color scheme the same and you should be good to go.
I do not touch on shoes, they are unique to the individual, so I say whatever looks good and is comfortable to you, wear em!

Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »

Dolce - Thanks for the tips....I do like the jewel tones, and also bright colors.

What is the best length for capris....where on my leg should they hit? (slimming place would help!)

And, also, about jewelry - I agree with the too cluttered look, but also if I wear a solid top, it seems to look somewhat unfinished.

Also, what about pearls?  Are they in?  I love the feminine look of pearls with say baby blue or pink, but what about with darker colors?

Thank you so much for answering my questions.  I am getting excited, thinking about what direction to go in - now if I can just get some $$ together....I'll go shopping!!!

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »

Kimmy

With Capri's you can not really go wrong on length as long as you stay a good 4 inches above your ankle and atleast 2 inches below the bottom part of your knee.  I have found that the capri's that are form fitting and flair out at the base, almost as if "boot cut", flatter and add curvature to the body.
Do not go with anything too clingy as it may cause unwanted things to pop.  A straight legged capri is very nice too.  If you are of a heavy stature (not saying you are or downing anyone who is) avoid the cargo types that have the elastic band or tie at the bottom as it causes a poof that is very ugh!

For jewelry at the top any one chunky necklace would be delicious, a strand of pearls is always in style, and even a single gold necklace can look chic.  If you are going to accessorize then you are going to want to think in terms of what is "trendy" and play with it.  Right now the "bib" necklaces are very in, and can add a nice touch of color to a solid top, and chunky is still very very hot!  Wooden bangals and cuffs are nice and "earthy", as well as any other type of bangal and/or cuff bracelet.  Just remember to not over do it to the point you look "top heavy".
The chunky look is especially "pop" with darker earthy type tones, but white pearls are not bad with black or navy blue. 

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »

Kimmy

I went and looked at Nordstrom for some vissuals for you.  While there I was also reminded of the oh so fab Bermuda Short (something to consider since you are able to wear shorts to work).  Below are some ideas!!  (They can be found at Nordstrom.com but you can look for the same sort of styles at other places too I am sure!)

Cropped Pants (Capri's)

Bermuda Shorts

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2009, 03:39:08 PM »

Here are some tops, that are of course age apropriate for you, just to give you an idea.  Again these can be found at Nordstrom.com, but I am sure you can find items like it virtually anywhere.  May I also add, you mentioned "slimming" in your last post.  For tops I have found that "draped" type tops and "v-neck" cuts flatter any figure.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »

very cute stuff dolce and just what I would have recommended as well..! can't go wrong with capris and those loose fitting tops flatter most any body type I think and are so comfy too!
then add a cute cardigan sweater to the mix for cool days/nights....they are very popular now as well...I never leave home with out one or a wrap of some sort...restaurants and malls can be cool in my opinion....

Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2009, 08:57:46 AM »

Oooo those are some cute capris!  I like the tops as well. They're dressy, but not toooo dressy.

I also like those sandals the girls are wearing.  I do wear bermudas - gosh a few seasons ago I was mortified when about all I could find were short shorts.

I also purchased a sewing machine a while ago, and although I have only ventured sewing pillows and a few alterations, I am thinking about turning some capris into bermudas, or pants into capris.  That would give me alot more options.  I have a hard time finding bottoms that fit.  I have larger hips/thighs and small waist.  (I hate the gaps when I find pants to fit, but they never fit the waist!)

Thanks Dolce & Cookie for you input.  Sometimes I feel lost when shopping for clothes, and opt for the "safe" outfits - You guys have given me some good ideas!

Now to go shopping!   

Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »

Hey Kimmy! I love Victorias Secret, their basics can't be beat & they're on sale, now!!

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/landing/?cgnbr=OSCLOZZZZZZ

And gladiators look great with shorts or capris!!
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/collection/?cgname=OSSHUGLDZZZ&cgnbr=OSSHUGLDZZZ&rfnbr=6254

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »

Yes Monken...
I still am going to order those shoes...love em...
and they look comfy too don't they?

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »

Anyone have a suggestion on an Easter Outfit for Sunday church and festivities?  It's going to be cold and probably rain/snow here.  High in the mid 40's.  I always have such a difficult finding something that is springy but I don't freeze to death in.  I wear a size 12 and I'm 5'8".  Suggestions appreciated.  Lovinlife

PS. I'm conservative, so nothing too over-the-top if ya know what I mean, no fancy Easter bonnets for me!

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2009, 03:17:46 PM »

Newfie

I went onto a website called NewPort-News.com  and their dresses are pretty conservative, and with a nice trench style coat could be fab for Easter in the cooler weather!

This outfit I thought would be fab for your size, conservative style, and the cooler temps.

I love this one, and it comes in many colors... Smile
http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=30307205&index=5&gp_coll_id=9&gp_cat_id=1649&nav_cat_id=8522&category_id=9367&gp_fashcoll_id=10

I chose New-Port News because it was recommended as an affordable place for nice clothing.  I have not personally ever purchased from this store - so this is my disclaimer!!  Smile 

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »

A few to ponder that I found at Nordstrom.com (They can be found at Nordstrom.com but you can look for the same sort of styles at other places too I am sure!)

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2009, 04:50:36 PM »

Saw the mention of "Gladiator Sandals", while I do not like the flats so much...here are a few that I found by some of my fav designers, and love!

Manolo Blahnik

Jimmy Choo

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »

Dolce, thanks for the hints on the dresses, I found several I liked.  Thanks again!  Lovin

P.S. Did your gm come back to CF, OH or is she still enjoying that FL sunshine?

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2009, 05:53:42 PM »

Dolce, thanks for the hints on the dresses, I found several I liked.  Thanks again!  Lovin

P.S. Did your gm come back to CF, OH or is she still enjoying that FL sunshine?
I am glad to hear that you have found some options for your Easter dress!  Smile

Yes Grandma has returned to Cuyahoga Falls, but calls regularly in hope of rays of sunshine to trickle down through the phone.

Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »

Anyone have a suggestion on an Easter Outfit for Sunday church and festivities?  It's going to be cold and probably rain/snow here.  High in the mid 40's.  I always have such a difficult finding something that is springy but I don't freeze to death in.  I wear a size 12 and I'm 5'8".  Suggestions appreciated.  Lovinlife

PS. I'm conservative, so nothing too over-the-top if ya know what I mean, no fancy Easter bonnets for me!

Hey, lovin, last year i wore a skirt & top with a light weight cardigan. You don't always have to wear a dress, remember! Any solid color skirt would look great with a bright or print top. Yellow is really hot for spring this year, i don't know how you feel about that color, and green is my favorite! Esp. lime green & it looks so springy & great with all spring colors! Happy Easter!!   

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »

Had another thought How do you feel about maxi dresses? I love them! There are so many out there & since they are long would help keep you warm! Most any store has a selection, I found these on ardenb:
http://www.ardenb.com/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=136&subCategoryId=745&productId=18657
http://www.ardenb.com/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=136&subCategoryId=745&productId=18921
http://www.ardenb.com/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=136&subCategoryId=745&productId=18697
Can you tell I REALLY like color!! 

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2009, 10:24:07 AM »

JUMPSUITS ARE HOT FOR SPRING!! 
CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.ardenb.com/content.jsp?pageName=Jumpsuits

Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2009, 10:27:44 AM »

AACCCKKK!!! I'm going crazy here! I found this too!! 
(I love this website  )
http://www.ardenb.com/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=134&subCategoryId=149&productId=17612

Phaedrus
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.