April 19, 2024, 09:49:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oversized Tote/Handbag  (Read 12354 times)
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« on: December 26, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »

OK...I found it...

I rec'd a black Vera Wang tote...huge...patent leather handles...it's like a carry-on...told MIL it was kind of big...has pockets and whatnot for phone, etc.  Do I keep it or bring it back?  Geez, I like to carry stuff but this is off the wall.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »

OK...I found it...

I rec'd a black Vera Wang tote...huge...patent leather handles...it's like a carry-on...told MIL it was kind of big...has pockets and whatnot for phone, etc.  Do I keep it or bring it back?  Geez, I like to carry stuff but this is off the wall.

Fill it with money and give it to Bearlyhere.  Just sayin'.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:25:54 AM »

OK...I found it...

Fill it with money and give it to Bearlyhere.  Just sayin'.

Now, that's a great idea.  Filling it with money might be a challenge, Bearly.  hmmmm.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:47:12 AM »

I think you should fill it with my favorite things and send it to me.  Chanel Coco de Mademoiselle perfume, Chanel lipstick - color Vamp.  money, sonic card, credit cards from Saks, Neiman, Brown, etc. Very dark chocolates, keys to a 1968 garaged Corvette.   Thank you.

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 02:28:41 PM »

OK...I found it...

I would take it back and get something that better suited me....I'd explain to my MIL that I LOVED IT!  IT was just a little too big.......I have found over the years the truth is always the best way to go. IMO Fashion is so personal!  It is often  difficult  to buy for another no matter how well you know their style.  My DIL saw a Michael Kors bag she fell in love with. I went to get it for her Christmas present and was surprised as it was smaller than she usually carries. I wouldn't have bought that particular purse ....I would have bought a bigger one.  So I am glad she got what she wanted......not what I would have chosen.

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »

OK...I found it...

I would take it back and get something that better suited me....I'd explain to my MIL that I LOVED IT!  IT was just a little too big.......I have found over the years the truth is always the best way to go. IMO Fashion is so personal!  It is often  difficult  to buy for another no matter how well you know their style.  My DIL saw a Michael Kors bag she fell in love with. I went to get it for her Christmas present and was surprised as it was smaller than she usually carries. I wouldn't have bought that particular purse ....I would have bought a bigger one.  So I am glad she got what she wanted......not what I would have chosen.

Thanks, Sunny.  I am leaning towards exchanging it for something more to my current taste.  MIL has given me great handbags over the years and I did tell her it was beautiful, but was honest about the size.  I have had purses on the larger side, with compartments for organization, but want to 'downsize' and carry only the bare essentials.  She knows I have a visual impairment and I quite honestly said that I have to think about my mobility first and not complicate it with carrying a large bag.  She said she'd look for the receipt....time will tell. 

My son gave me a Coach bag last Christmas.  I've been using it almost exclusively ever since.   It's half the size of the Vera Wang.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »

My serious answer.  Exchange it, if you do not feel comfortable with it, you will never use it.  But of course, tell your MIL.

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »

2NJ ~  I never carry a handbag bigger than my butt.  I figure it keeps things to scale.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 05:01:31 PM »

2NJ ~  I never carry a handbag bigger than my butt.  I figure it keeps things to scale.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 07:57:20 AM »

GREAT fashion tip !

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:49:17 AM »

2NJ
While I absolutely love Vera Wang, I must take a step back and reconsider the rules of totes...take it for what it is worth, but here goes!

Keep it simple, keep it chic, and keep it functional. 

If this oversize Wang is not your taste, or if you could fit a small poodle in it, then it could cause unwanted attention to various areas of your body if not being worn properly.

I say take it back, she either purchased it at Macy's or Kohls, and opt for something maybe within the medium size range, but please do not wear it with an overly long strap that causes your purse to hang at your waste, very unflattering.  You want a strap that brings the bottom of your purse to the top of your hip or higher.  Clutches are also very "in" right now and can be found in some very cute patterns.

Your MIL purchased you a gift obviously in hopes that you would be happy, I am sure that she would not mind you exchanging it for the right bag that fits your lifestyle.  A woman's bag is one of the most important things in her wardrobe, I am sure she will understand.  Smile

Thats my 2 pennies!!  Smile

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »

I think you should fill it with my favorite things and send it to me.  Chanel Coco de Mademoiselle perfume, Chanel lipstick - color Vamp.  money, sonic card, credit cards from Saks, Neiman, Brown, etc. Very dark chocolates, keys to a 1968 garaged Corvette.   Thank you.
LOL  "These are a few of my favorite things"...I hear that song playing as I read this!!

TOO CUTE!! 

We purchased Dooney & Bourke bags for my 3 older nieces this Christmas (ages 12, 14, and 16).  It is what they wanted, in the pastel colors, very cute from the D & B "It Bag" line the "bucket" bag is very nice for their age range as well as the "Tassle" bag.  www.Dooney.com if anyone is looking to purchase a last minute gift for a tween or teen. 
(I do not personally promote or endorse Dooney..I am more of a LV girl myself.)

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »

OK...I found it...

Thanks, Sunny.  I am leaning towards exchanging it for something more to my current taste.  MIL has given me great handbags over the years and I did tell her it was beautiful, but was honest about the size.  I have had purses on the larger side, with compartments for organization, but want to 'downsize' and carry only the bare essentials.  She knows I have a visual impairment and I quite honestly said that I have to think about my mobility first and not complicate it with carrying a large bag.  She said she'd look for the receipt....time will tell. 

My son gave me a Coach bag last Christmas.  I've been using it almost exclusively ever since.   It's half the size of the Vera Wang.
2NJ it sounds like you are handling this situation quite well.  Also let your MIL know that with larger bags one tends to "over carry".  Given the size of the bag we tend to put more things in it, heck my best friend carries her day planner within her over-size RL bag...big mistake!  Not only is it heavy, but it strains her back and causes her stress to her spine.  So if you want to get technical with her, tell her you are exchanging it for your health and to avoid those large Chiropractor bills. 
Coach has some cute bags within their latest line, maybe opt for an upgrade! 

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 09:04:25 AM »

This is a good rule to follow Miss Muffy. 

The size of a bag can bring unwated attention to various areas of your body if not worn correctly or if way too big or small.

While there are too many scenarios to go into with this, that rule would fit in quite nicely as a "Cliff Notes" version!

So if you see a girl in Louis Vuitton holding bags up to her bum..well its just me!  LOL 

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »

Dolce, thanks for your input.  I agree about carrying too much, and I have done that in the past.  Things get put into the purse and never seem to come out!!  My DH & sons have also asked me in the past to put something they don't want to carry into my purse, and I'm past the donkey stage!!!   

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

pinkbanana
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »

I LOVE BIG bags....

All my bags are HUGE!
I'm a LV (Louis Vuitton) kind of gal. It's the new yorker in me.
I think I have maybe 3 clutch bags.

pb

STILL Standing With The GIRL, Natalee Holloway!
Caylee Anthony, Rest In Peace Little SUNSHINE.
Where is Haleigh Cummings?
BLESS ALL THE CHILDREN! BLESS ALL THE MISSING! BLESS YOU!
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 08:37:46 AM »

I LOVE BIG bags....

All my bags are HUGE!

pb

I am with you 100% PB!

I grew up with LV.  My Mother is a big fan as well.  I told A1 a funny story of when I was 12. I was sent to camp (EW), it was outdoors and we had to stay in these cabin like thingies.  Well the bus dropped us all off, and there I stood with my matching Louis Vuitton luggage set...I did not know what a sleeping bag was.  I was def a sight to be seen I am sure.  My Father had to come and pick me up a few hours later because I refused to stay.  (Mostly because I was horrified of the bugs and woods, but also because I was out of my element)

I currently carry the LV Monogram Canvas Large Bucket Bag for everyday use.  I have a few clutches as well.  Louis Vuitton store at our Waterside Shops is my second home...its right across from Tiffany's!  (My hubs hates it when we go to Waterside for dinner...I am like a kid in a candy store running from window to window.)

pinkbanana
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 10:26:58 AM »

I LOVE BIG bags....

All my bags are HUGE!

pb

I am with you 100% PB!

I grew up with LV.  My Mother is a big fan as well.  I told A1 a funny story of when I was 12. I was sent to camp (EW), it was outdoors and we had to stay in these cabin like thingies.  Well the bus dropped us all off, and there I stood with my matching Louis Vuitton luggage set...I did not know what a sleeping bag was.  I was def a sight to be seen I am sure.  My Father had to come and pick me up a few hours later because I refused to stay.  (Mostly because I was horrified of the bugs and woods, but also because I was out of my element)

I currently carry the LV Monogram Canvas Large Bucket Bag for everyday use.  I have a few clutches as well.  Louis Vuitton store at our Waterside Shops is my second home...its right across from Tiffany's!  (My hubs hates it when we go to Waterside for dinner...I am like a kid in a candy store running from window to window.)

Dolce,

HAHAHA LOVE that story! 

My family and friends call me DA QUEEN of LV 
I am OBSESSED with LV!! 

Seems like you and I would be BEST shopping buddies.

pbxo

STILL Standing With The GIRL, Natalee Holloway!
Caylee Anthony, Rest In Peace Little SUNSHINE.
Where is Haleigh Cummings?
BLESS ALL THE CHILDREN! BLESS ALL THE MISSING! BLESS YOU!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.