April 20, 2024, 03:29:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Child Maid Trafficking travels from Africa to US  (Read 2730 times)
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« on: December 28, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »

This is a long article but an eye opener.   

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081228/ap_on_re_af/the_slave_next_door

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:45:25 AM »

MSNBC has the story too
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28415693/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:56:16 AM »

I posted Anti-Slavery International's Fight For Freedom back in Aug. of 07. I am going to bring that post here. I think I have another similar story somewhere else on the board.... I will try and find it and bring it in here, as well. Would be nice to have 'like' stories together. Thanks for posting this 2NJ.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:58:28 AM »

posted by me on: August 02, 2007, 08:17:17 PM ..... moving it here.

SIGN THE DECLARATION
http://www.antislavery.org/2007/actionsign.php

THE ROYAL GAZETTE
by Tim Smith
More than 35,000 people have now signed a petition calling for action to end modern day slavery ¿ and it couldn't be easier to add your name to the list.

For the past few months, The Royal Gazette has been asking readers to back Anti-Slavery International's Fight For Freedom declaration, which calls for world leaders to end all forms of human captivity, including human trafficking, child labour, bonded labour and forced marriage.

The number of signatures on the worldwide list was yesterday at 35,153 ¿ but campaigners stressed it remains vital for as many people as possible to add their names.

All you have to do to sign it is log onto the Internet and follow a few simple instructions on your computer screen.

At the end of the year, this newspaper will be submitting a final copy of the declaration to Government and Government House, to coincide with UK campaigners' presentation to their Parliament.

It urges action on: increasing understanding of the Transatlantic Slave Trade; addressing its lasting legacies; and making the eradication of contemporary slavery in all its forms a priority.

Campaign leaders say everyone's efforts so far have already made a difference. In recent months, the British Government has published proposals to make teaching the Transatlantic Slave Trade in schools compulsory, while discussions have been ongoing regarding an annual national slavery commemorative day.

Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair pledged that Government efforts would be stepped up this year to "tackle inequality for people of African and Caribbean heritage in the UK; the challenges facing the African continent; and the cruelty of modern day slavery".

In Bermuda, hundreds of people attended a Cathedral service to mark the 200th anniversary of the Slave Trade Act in March, at which they remembered the history of slavery on the Island and acknowledged the plight of slaves today.

Impetus is to be continued with Charlotte Wilberforce's proposed Run For Freedom, and a project to install a monument paying tribute to millions of victims who died while crossing the Atlantic in slave ships.

Aidan McQuade, director of Anti-Slavery International, thanked people for their support so far but stressed the need for everyone who hasn't signed the petition to do so.

"It's a crucial demonstration of support from the global public calling on governments to address the Transatlantic Slave Trade's legacies and end slavery once and for all," said Mr. McQuade.

"Anti-Slavery International is grateful for The Royal Gazette and Bermuda public's support in this crucial campaign and participation in collecting signatures.

"Many thanks to all of you who have signed the Fight For Freedom declaration. The campaign continues and the declaration will remain open for signature throughout 2007. The need for signatures continues.

"If you haven't signed yet, take action today. Or see what else you can do to be a modern day abolitionist at www.antislavery.org."

Social Rehabilitation Minister Dale Butler, who fought on a movement in Bermuda opposing apartheid in South Africa, pointed out the significance of issues beyond the Island's shores.

"Bermuda plays a critical role," said Mr. Butler, as he encouraged people to sign the Anti-Slavery petition. "It has an international responsibility to say while we enjoy certain freedoms, we would like to fight any movements like slavery.

"To be silent would mean we are like the people in Nazi Germany who said: 'They are not picking on me,' until there was nobody left to be picked on but them."

To sign the petition, log on to www.antislavery.org/2007 and add your details.

sign the declaration
http://www.antislavery.org/2007/actionsign.php

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »

3000 girls missing in Chhattisgarh-India
5 Jul 2009
RAIPUR: Around 3000 girls have been reported missing in Chhattisgarh apparently due to illegal trafficking. 

According to police sources, 5000 persons were registered missing, out of which 3000 are girls.

Sister Sevti Panna of Jashpur-based NGO Gramin Vikas Kendra claimed that placement agencies are behind this racket as they lure women with good job prospects but after some days these women go missing.

Panna claimed that these agencies bungle half the money promised to the women. The women work as domestic servants and are often subjected to physical and mental torture, she said.

Claiming that a number of placement agencies in Mumbai and Delhi have religious names, which they use to convince parents to send their girls to the cities, Panna said women leave their villages for the glitz and glamour of city life.

"The placement agencies give the women a new name and this makes tracing them a difficult task. The women are left unassisted in the hustle and bustle of the city life," she said.

Additional Director Of Police (Crime) Ramnivas said that the police is taking action against all such errant placement agencies and the idea of taking help of the NGO's is being deliberated upon.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/3000-girls-missing-in-Chhattisgarh/articleshow/4740844.cms

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.