March 28, 2024, 04:48:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOUSEHOLD TIPS  (Read 16706 times)
JerseyMom
Scared Monkey

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 09:54:23 PM »

Mrs. Red,
Found these suggestions from a radio show (Not Dana's Laughing )

A tray of kitty litter in the drawers may absorb the smell.

Place cedar wood chips in the drawers.

Place a fabric softener sheet in the drawers.

Use fresh coffee grounds in small, open containers in each drawer.

If all fails, a good coat of brushed-on shellac, varnish or polyurethane varnish may seal the smells in the wood. I would start with the shellac; it will seal the wood and leave a nice finish. I know a coat of BIN or similar stain killer will seal the surface, but it is white in color.
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2006, 07:58:02 PM »

When you are cleaning up after a meal that has splattered all over the stovetop=

Take your wet soapy dishrag and lay unfolded on the stove mess. Go about clearing the table  and so forth then go back and wipe the stove. The  dishrag will have loosened the gunk and make the cleanup easy.
Just like soaking the dishes. LOL

Just a swinging with the tribe
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2006, 03:10:34 PM »

Coming down with a bladder infection over a weekend, no doctor available and already full of cranberry juice?

Try taking Alka Seltzer two every four hours.  Don't know why it works but it does.

Also, used fabric softener sheets will clean a shower door.  Not as well as Sunfreak's steam cleaner, certainly but better than most anything else that just smears the stuff around.

And I put new fabric softeer sheets in drawers, closets, etc. but guess everybody knows that one already.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2006, 12:36:26 AM »

Burn incense inside musty furniture. An antique dealer/restorer told me about this. Might have to do for several hours. Then wipe with Lysol or similar cleaner. I did this with an amoire I bought some years ago.

Dried lavender and cedar (together) are a good de-odorizing combination. And keep bugs away. You can make sachets; they don't have to be fancy to do the job - although it's kinda fun to make them ... you can use those little organza bags that are sold for wedding favors; the plain one are cheap. Party stores and Michael's have them.

ALERT - lavender is fairly pricey.

I had to produce inexpensive favors for a large gathering of Church Ladies a few years ago. The sachets are what I came up with. Bought the bags and lavender online; cedar at a pet store! I think I made 130 of them.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2006, 02:11:27 AM »

I am so late to this cleaning party, but if your drawers smell musty, remove the clothing articles, pour straight vodka in the drawers, let them air out and that will remove any odors and sterilize them.  You can also do that with Listerine but will have to repeat it more frequently and don't forget that musty is caused from moisture build-up and alcohol is very drying.  Remember that cotton mouth the morning after? Laughing

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2006, 02:12:54 AM »

None, I am a big vinegarholic.  Let's not forget that vinegar is just 6 degrees removed from alcohol.  I clean everything I can with it.  It works great on ceramic tile and porcelain, formica, etc., BUT DO NOT GET IT NEAR YOUR GRANITE.  It will etch granite.  Don't ask me how I know that. Embarassed

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2006, 02:16:13 AM »

Mrs. Marples, I use the lavendar/cedar sachets in my closets in summer to keep the moths from getting into my winter clothes and it smells SOOO GOOD.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2006, 09:24:48 AM »

Quote from: "Tylergal"
None, I am a big vinegarholic.  Let's not forget that vinegar is just 6 degrees removed from alcohol.  I clean everything I can with it.  It works great on ceramic tile and porcelain, formica, etc., BUT DO NOT GET IT NEAR YOUR GRANITE.  It will etch granite.  Don't ask me how I know that. Embarassed

Heh Tyler - I want to know how you know about pouring alcohol in your drawers!   Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Sorry about the granite.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2006, 03:59:13 PM »

Not really a household tip...but more a timely one for travelers during the holidays.

I like to wrap my gifts and pack them in the car ready to go, but I hate how the bows get crushed. I now use yarn to make my bows and tie up the gifts. You can get it in all colors to match your paper, and it's very inexpensive. It lasts for several years, because you get a lot of yarn on each skein, and I just pack it up along with my decorations after Christmas.
It looks really cute, and you can even use two or three colors together on one package. It allows you to get very creative. Best of all, it travels well and looks fresh when you get to your destination, and no worries over crushed bows.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Bobo2
Scared Monkey

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2006, 04:41:11 PM »

Looking for some advice on a vacuum cleaner since my old old Hoover just died.  

The Dyson at Target looks like a great choice, but at $400-600 I wonder if it is worth the money.  Anyone have one or used one?
SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2007, 10:09:23 PM »

Quote from: "Bobo2"
Looking for some advice on a vacuum cleaner since my old old Hoover just died.  

The Dyson at Target looks like a great choice, but at $400-600 I wonder if it is worth the money.  Anyone have one or used one?

I have an Oreck I have had since 1995.  Very lightweight, works great.  Great servicing at the Oreck stores.  You can even get a loaner when yours is being serviced.
Leslie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »

Buy a Shop-vac!  I use mine everywhere - the house, the jeep and the great outdoors.  It's the only thing that really picks up animal hair and construction debris.  it is not expensive and the bags can be emptied out and reused.

Fox reported...I decided...Click!
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2007, 03:02:20 PM »

I recently purchased a new vac.  Its made in Germany and has by far beat out the Rainbow, Kirby and Electrolux that I have owned in the past.

It is a  SEBO  with Hospital grade filters/bags.  It has been a great investment since I have 2 cats and a dog at home.

I think I paid around 500$ for it and it came with a 3 year warranty.

Maine, born and raised!
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2007, 05:59:06 PM »

Learned this just today~

Cola will remove adhesive!

cp405
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2007, 07:52:19 PM »

At the vacuum shop I visit, the owner recommended a Riccar.  He said it is by far the best made and he sells all kinds.  Of course it comes in many models and price ranges.  You might want to check it out.  He doesn't like the Dyson even though he sells them.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 08:42:41 PM »

OK monkeys... help me please!

I have a new bedroom set and it is a very very dark rosewood finish... it shows dust more than anything I have ever seen.  I also have relatively new frieze carpeting that is still "shedding"... anyway - I go to clean the wood and I feel like I am just moving the dust around in circles - I can still see it when I am done and I am using one of those special cloths, microfiber!

Help!

Thanks!!!!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2007, 12:01:58 AM »

Use your vacuum cleaner to remove the dust. Or use Murphy's oil soap, and a damp cloth to wipe the furniture off, then go back over it with a soft dry cloth. I use the Murphy's method a lot because I have a daughter with asthma. I just pour a capful in a small bucket and use some old diapers, one as the wash cloth, and one to dry the furniture with. Just make sure the cloth is not dripping wet. This really works well for me. I usually vacuum my furniture first, and then do the Murphy's.
It sort of breaks the static electricity that causes the dust to cling to the furniture.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2007, 09:17:40 AM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
Use your vacuum cleaner to remove the dust. Or use Murphy's oil soap, and a damp cloth to wipe the furniture off, then go back over it with a soft dry cloth. I use the Murphy's method a lot because I have a daughter with asthma. I just pour a capful in a small bucket and use some old diapers, one as the wash cloth, and one to dry the furniture with. Just make sure the cloth is not dripping wet. This really works well for me. I usually vacuum my furniture first, and then do the Murphy's.
It sort of breaks the static electricity that causes the dust to cling to the furniture.

Thanks pdh.... I have actually done the vacuum thing but hadn't used Murphy's.  I will try that.  You are right static electricity is playing a role in this.  Clinging to the wood!  Wink
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »

I imagine it's pretty dry and cold in Nebraska right now! And that new carpet....... Laughing
Just be sure you use a cloth that doesn't leave lint, and that you dry the furniture off well. I hope it works. Smile

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2007, 02:44:06 PM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
I imagine it's pretty dry and cold in Nebraska right now! And that new carpet....... Laughing
Just be sure you use a cloth that doesn't leave lint, and that you dry the furniture off well. I hope it works. Smile

I live across the street from the first hole of a golf course... People are teeing off!  No lie.  It is going to get perhaps up to 50 today.  We are one hr away from where the chit hit the fan and people/whole towns are still without power after over a week, their cattle are dying... awful.... course no one on the news is covering it!

Supposed to get normal weather - cold - next week.  Bummer.

Dry, yes!  Thanks girlfriend.  Going to store now so I'll pick up some Murphys'.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.