April 19, 2024, 02:07:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RYLAN COTTER  (Read 12324 times)
Hudsunn
Monkey Junky

« on: December 31, 2008, 08:15:55 PM »

I would like to start a thread for Rylan Cotter, the young woman who disappeared and whose body was later found on a golf course near a utility tower.  She was in an area that she never frequented and as far as her family knows, she had no relatives or friends there.  The police in the small town soon dismissed the death as a suicide, though it seems totally implausible for a number of reasons.  Her body did not bear the injuries associated with suicide of any kind, including jumping from a high place.  In other words, there is no proof of it as far as anyone knows, but the family feels that the police have not done enough to get to the truth.  I have corresponded with Rylan's mother, who is still very distraught and having a terrible holiday season, and with a family friend, and they are trying to revive interest in the case and put some pressure on the police to do more. 
Hudsunn
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »

If you would like to read more about this case, which occurred in January of '08, go to this URL or simply do a regular google search.  Much was written about it at first, but it soon fell from the newspapers and tv.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/ForumWithNoName/messages/?msg=927.1
janetruth
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:15:32 PM »

It always saddens me when we lose these dynamic young women.  Too many of these cases remain unsolved.  Well, too many of them happen in the first place, but it really upsets me that more effort isn't put into solving them.

There are a lot of guys out there getting away with murder.

Did she have a boyfriend?  Was he checked out?  Had anyone been bothering her?  Could she have been pregnant?  How did the witness who saw her in Benton Harbor know it was her?
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »

Thanks Hudsunn. I will try and get a summary done and entered over the weekend.
I remember reading about this and seeing her photo in news links. Such a beauty. Sad.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 08:18:07 PM »

Mystery Trail
Date Published 02.27.08
Monday, January 7 was an unseasonably warm day in Chesterton, Indiana. The rise in temperature brought people outside, particularly to the Prairie-Duneland Trail, a roughly 3 mile walking and biking trail that was converted from an abandoned railroad.

In the late afternoon a man walking his dog along the trail noticed a young woman exit her car in the parking lot. She was dressed casually in a black fleece jacket and tennis shoes. She began walking the trail. She was alone.

Later, the dog walker observed the young woman again; this time she was in her car, sitting in the driver’s seat. She was still alone.
Prairie-Duneland Trail

Soon it began to get dark, and the weather turned bad. By 6:00 p.m. a storm had rolled in --- according to one local resident, it was the worst thunder and lightning storm she’d ever seen. The rain continued all the next day, which is probably why no one noticed the lone car, seemingly abandoned, left in the trail parking lot.

On Wednesday, the rain let up. Adjacent to the trail is the Brassie Golf Club, a semi-private 18-hole course. It was shortly after 1:00 p.m. when a member of the grounds crew, looking for flags and balls, glimpsed a black fleece jacket in some brush at the base of an electrical tower.

The young woman reportedly lay face down. She was fully clothed, but when investigators searched her pockets for clues to her identity, they found no driver's license or I.D.

The maroon 1997 Oldsmobile left in the trail parking lot provided investigators with a name: Rylan Cotter.

Rylan Cotter

They learned Rylan, 20, was a junior at Michigan State University. Her death presented an obvious mystery: how did she die, and why?

Porter County Coroner Viki Deppe answered the first question. Rylan died of massive blunt force trauma to the chest and abdomen, injuries consistent with a variety of scenarios, such as car accidents, being struck by a fast-moving object, or falling from a high distance. Deppe estimated Rylan was dead for about 24 to 36 hours before her body was discovered.

That’s where the solid facts end. Investigators initially assumed they would find a reasonable explanation for why Rylan was in Chesterton; they hoped that background information would allow them to classify the case as either a homicide, a suicide, or an accident.

But no one close to Rylan knows or can explain why she traveled 175 miles to a small town she had no connection to, or how she ended up dead on the edge of a golf course.

"This does not make sense in any direction," wrote one local resident on a crime message board.
Google Earth Map of area where Rylan's body was found

Rylan grew up in Mason, Michigan, a small town 15 miles south of Lansing.

“Rylan is one of my true best friends,” wrote Sheena Chadwell in an email interview with True Crime Diary. Chadwell, a University of Missouri student, met Rylan in kindergarten and the two girls became close. “I say is and not was because she is still with me just not in physical form.”

In high school Rylan, the daughter of an art teacher, took part in band and school plays. Friends recall an irreverent sense of humor and original style.

“She never tried to be anyone else,” Chadwell said, echoing others.

But most of all, friends recall Rylan’s unselfishness. She was known as a reliable friend who would help others through break-ups or hard times. Her compassionate nature grew in perspective when she attended MSU and decided to study international relations with a focus on African politics; she planned to go to South Africa next year and intern at the Mandela Peace Center.

“Rylan always talked about making the world a better place,” Chadwell said.

A reflective person, Rylan was known to write frequently in her journal, but friends say it would be unusual for her to drive such a far distance just to clear her head. What drew her to Chesterton baffles them.

What Happened?

Chesterton detectives have pieced together some details of Rylan’s last days. They know that she left her East Lansing apartment around 2 a.m. on January 7, the same day classes were to begin at MSU after winter break. She drove to Benton Harbor and checked into a motel about 90 minutes later. She was alone. She checked out at 11:30 a.m. and was possibly seen next by employees at a local tourist’s bureau north of Chesterton.

Surveillance video shows her visiting an unnamed Chesterton business at 12:44 p.m. The next confirmed sighting is by the dog walker at Prairie-Duneland Trail in the late afternoon.

The coroner’s calculations put the likely time of death on Monday night, which would correlate with the fact that Rylan was found in the same clothes she was last seen in Monday afternoon; that her car was parked in the same spot; and that the golf club was closed Tuesday due to flooding, which explains why no one found her earlier.

What happened to her? Why was she in the area? Here are several possible scenarios:

She committed suicide by climbing the electrical tower and jumping.

No one who knows Rylan well believes she was suicidal. They describe her as upbeat and her usual self. And while suicidal people are not in the most stable frames of mind, why drive to an unknown town and climb an electrical tower during a thunderstorm in order to kill yourself? A local source says there was another tower closer to Rylan’s car that would have made more sense to climb. This source also inspected the tower near where Rylan’s body was found and said Rylan “would have to be extremely tall and incredibly strong” to climb it.

If she did climb the tower, but slipped rather than jumped, she may have been taking part in some kind of geo-caching game or scavenger hunt. A social network for pranksters has an entry about climbing electric towers and signing one’s name at the top.

She was meeting up with someone and the encounter turned violent.

There are contradictory and vague reports that Rylan was planning on either picking up a friend or friends in Chicago, or going to visit them. Chesterton is a well-known stop between Chicago and Michigan, and could have been a meeting point. The South Shore Line, a commuter train system, operates between Chicago and northwest Indiana, with a stop in Chesterton.

Chesterton Detective Lt. David Cincoski gave some support to the homicide theory when he said that something suspicious was found at the scene. Cincoski declined to be more specific. Interestingly, interviews with Coroner Deppe have focused on advanced toxicology reports she ordered and is waiting on; it’s possible the suspicious piece of evidence is a bottle of liquor or pills, though friends maintain that would be out of character for Rylan.

A planned meet-up should leave a record of some sort, such as emails, IM’s, or cell phone calls, so the fact that police are still stumped makes the existence of such a meeting less likely. However, it might be that Rylan stopped in Chesterton and crossed paths with someone by chance.

She was the victim of a hit-and-run.

It was rainy that evening. Dense woods in the area make the roads difficult to drive even on clear nights. A Google search of "Prairie-Duneland Trail" and "Chesteron" brings up articles about collisions on the trail. One article describes a head-on collision between bicyclists. A particularly tricky S-curve played a part in the accident.

A second article proves even more intriguing. Almost exactly a year before Rylan’s death, a young man in an all-terrain vehicle assaulted Chesterton Park Superintendent Bruce Mathias on the trail. Mathias was walking his dog around 4:30 p.m. when he advised three young men in ATVs that they were on restricted grounds and needed to leave. The men agreed to leave, but while driving away one of them swerved into Mathias and knocked him to the ground.

A local source says ATVs are often in the area illegally, and are known to frequent the field by the edge of the golf course where Rylan’s body was found.

Right now, until more information is known, no one scenario makes perfect sense. A blank puzzle obscures the last hours of a life that was, by all accounts, full of light and high spirits.

“Rylan always made the room glow,” her friend Sheena Chadwell wrote to True Crime Diary, “and whenever I was upset, she always made things better for me.”
http://truecrimediary.com/index.cfm?page=cases&id=46

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 08:18:46 PM »

Comments at the above link
COMMENTS:

I think I have a lot of clues as to the death of rylan but i need rylans mother to please contact me my email is rkcdj55@comcast.net 
Posted by: kelly Rivera on 11.17.2008 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeannene,
I corresponded with you on the greta blog. Could you contact me at jeepchic24@comcast.net
Posted by: Marie on 7.07.2008 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to thank Michelle for taking the time to talk to Rylan's mother who is a dear friend of mine. I am curious as to the comment that "hope they catch the male" How do we know it is a male? RIP RYLAN
Posted by: Jeannene on 6.26.2008 

I am rylan Cotter's mother and wish to thank you for such a thourough overview of this mystery. Compounding matters are items that are missing from both her body and her vehicle. Let me say there were some mitigating details indicating suicide was very much a possibility, however, one has only to consider missing items and a "suspicious" crime scene (I know details but am still keeping quiet as not to compromise the investigation, if there is in fact still and open investigation) to think that a suicide ruling is throwing out the baby with the bathwater. If Rylan was a celebrity would this case have been so easy to discard? I think not.
Posted by: nancy cotter on 6.03.2008 

hope they catch the male...
Posted by: john on 4.06.2008 

Intriguing!  Wow!  So many things could have happened but there is nothing conclusive.  What a sad story.  Sounds like she is really missed.
Posted by: Betsy on 3.04.2008 

Jeannene1960
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:47:55 PM »

Hi I am Jeannene, good friend of Rylan Cotter's mom. We are trying to get ANY kind of clues, ANY information to solve this case. There were several interviews with the media today and more tomorrow. If you know anything and think you can help, you can always E Mail me at cowboy22chic@aol.com Thank You!  RIP Dear Rylan.....
Jeannene1960
Scared Monkey

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:43:30 AM »

I ask all of you, if you can spare ten dollars, five, fifty cents to help pay Ry's student loans, it would be so appreciated. Her mother will pay until the day she dies, she feels she owes it because Rylan got a wonderful education and she owes for those loans, but she will never be able to do it herself...God Bless You All...</p>

<p>Checks can be payable to: The Rylan Cotter Student Loan Memorial Fund</p>

<p>MSU Federal Credit Union</p>

<p>3777 West Rd</p>

<p>East Lansing, MI 48823</p>

<p>Please E Mail me with any questions</p>

<p>Cowboy22chic@aol.com</p>

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:32:25 AM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:46:42 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 02:09:39 PM »

Questions remain in MSU student's death
By Jacob Carpenter
The State News
Published: January 11, 2009
After a year of unanswered questions, the mother of an MSU student who was found dead on an Indiana golf course one year ago wants more investigation into her daughter’s death.

Nancy Cotter, whose then-20-year-old daughter Rylan Cotter was ruled to have committed suicide by jumping from an electrical tower on Jan. 7, 2008 in Chesterton, Ind., is seeking another look at how her daughter died. An Indiana coroner determined Cotter intentionally jumped from a tower 28 feet away from where her body was found, but Nancy Cotter is raising questions about the coroner’s findings and whether her daughter leapt from the tower.

Residents who live near the tower where Cotter was found have told her mother that Cotter would not have been able to climb the tower without aid and that other towers were more accessible for somebody to commit suicide.

Police have not established why Cotter, an international relations junior, was in Chesterton, Ind., about 20 miles from the Michigan-Indiana border near Lake Michigan, or why Cotter was at Brassie Golf Course, where her body was found in an area two and a half miles from the nearest major road.

“For her to go to Chesterton, somebody would have to guide her there,” Cotter said.

Cotter was seen in Chesterton twice on the day of her death — once on a surveillance camera buying a box cutter and allergy medication and later by a resident walking along a trail where Cotter’s car was parked — but was never seen with anybody. A small, bandaged would was found on her left wrist and a toxicology report found nonlethal doses of Diphenhydramine, commonly known as the allergy medication Benadryl, in her system.

While the wrist wound and reports from friends of changes in behavior might indicate suicide, Nancy Cotter and a former coroner in the county where Rylan Cotter was found said there is not enough evidence to call the death a suicide with absolute certainty.

“Unless you can prove the person took their life and you have no other manner of death you can prove, you have to call the death ‘indeterminable,’” said John Evans, a Porter County commissioner who was the county’s coroner for more than 20 years.

In addition to asking for further investigation into her daughter’s death, Cotter wants Porter County Coroner Victoria Deppe’s manner-of-death ruling changed from “suicide” to “indeterminable.” Deppe, who said in March that she had “painstakingly looked at all the evidence” and determined Cotter jumped, did not return calls seeking comment in recent days.

Chesterton Police are actively investigating any criminal leads regarding the case and are waiting on lab results related to the investigation, Cincoski said. He declined to specify the type of tests being performed or discuss specific aspects of the investigation, citing Indiana law prohibiting the public discussion of evidence in an open investigation.“Whenever there is anything that is of substance that comes in, we investigate it,” Cincoski said, adding the most recent lead in the case came last week. “The only thing closed is the cause and manner of death.”Cotter, who didn’t receive insurance compensation after her daughter’s death, said she is pursuing the case and the change of manner of death to clear her daughter’s name and prove she didn’t commit suicide. She is asking for assistance from volunteers who will look further into the case and has contacted the Indiana Attorney General.

“The last exchange we had was about her getting a passport to go to Africa,” Cotter said of her daughter, who was planning an internship with the Mandela Peace Center in South Africa and wanted to help in war-torn Darfur. “These are not things you do when you’re depressed or thinking about suicide.”

http://www.statenews.com/index.php/article/2009/01/questions_remain_in_msu_students_death

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.