March 18, 2024, 11:57:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256301 times)
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1060 on: November 16, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »

Kiwi:  Replays are just what they are.  When you need indisputable visual evidence it still comes down to which official makes the call.  I can't believe there wasn't an official on the same side as the camera.  He may have just been too shy to talk over the call.  It did not look to me like he got it, but then we have lost some appeals just because of the rule.

I hope to write more later.  I am on my way to PT
It was a good win for the Badgers in any event. I don't want to take away from that. They do deserve a good BCS bowl game, hopefully somewhere warm.
None- I watched the game on and off. I missed the injury, hopefully he is doing better today. Yes they did win Bean.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1061 on: November 16, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »

have to brag on our qb....5 passing touchdowns and 405 total passing yards against troy!!! he is already breaking records and he hasn't finished a whole year yet!!!! of course we have not had many top qb's in our past.
we go to starkville this saturday.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1062 on: November 17, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »

Cuz I haven't been able to watch any of your games yet but i have certainly read lots of wonderful things about Mallet.  Good for you and the team!  Enjoy.  He's young too right?
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1063 on: November 17, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »

Cuz I haven't been able to watch any of your games yet but i have certainly read lots of wonderful things about Mallet.  Good for you and the team!  Enjoy.  He's young too right?
Yes he was a Wolverine transfer. Played his freshman year and left when RR took the coaching position. He's doing a fantastic job for Cuz.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1064 on: November 17, 2009, 07:36:50 PM »

Holy moly... I come home tonight to read all KINDS of rumor mill stuff...

Kansas AD held meeting with coaches and players (Mangino NOT present) to announce there is an independent investigation underway!  Sources saying Mangino physically and verbally assaulted players.  FIVE have come forward.  They filed charges with the University AND the NCAA.  Am reading that they suggest he walk with 1/2 of his contract $ or they go public with the details.  WOW.

Mike Leach said to be interested in Louisville job.  (perfect fit)
Stoops interested in Notre Dame
Hawkins at CO on hot seat

Big 12 blows up.

Meanwhile also reading Rich Rodriguez will be gone after end of season.  Already talk that Les Miles will go there.  Course they are saying Pelini to LSU. 

Seriously.. this is some major talk! Must be the end of the season.  Course we all know ND will be letting Charlie go.  Hold on to your pants football lovers.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1065 on: November 17, 2009, 07:53:19 PM »

Wow.. just read that the seniors on the team are refusing to get on the airplane to play Texas this week unless he is fired.  (Mangino) Stay tuned.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1066 on: November 17, 2009, 08:08:34 PM »

Wow.. just read that the seniors on the team are refusing to get on the airplane to play Texas this week unless he is fired.  (Mangino) Stay tuned.
What did he do.......... eat one of his players whole??? 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1067 on: November 17, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »

LOL Wreck.. lots of those jokes going around today.  ha.  I had read he punched a player in the face a few weeks ago and then never heard anything more.  That story and others surfacing today.  Choking was another one.  There are FIVE players that have claimed to have been assaulted.  Their parents filed the grievance.  At first I thought it was just whiney kids but the senior class doing this makes me think maybe there is more?  Have read he has serious anger issues and has been warned before... and also that there have been domestic violence issues as well.... who the heck knows.  Haven't had the stomach to go to a Kansas board. 
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1068 on: November 18, 2009, 12:15:44 AM »

Good Grief beans!  What a mess at Kansas!!! Keep us posted when you have the nerve to find out more....

Poor Nascar! He's always in my prayers, but I'll be specific tonight!....

WDE!!!

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1069 on: November 18, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »

PDH why are we praying for Nascar... must have missed something... GL Bro!

No real update on Mangino but haven't had much time today... basically all the KU folks are saying he is GONE and doesn't have a chance of staying.  Split even between those who think the AD hates him and wants him out (wasn't his hire and he's fat) and those that think the allegations have merit.  But nobody thinks he'll be here on Friday.  It is true the team is in mutiny and won't get on a plane.  WOW.  The inmates are running the prison.

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1070 on: November 18, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »

PDH why are we praying for Nascar... must have missed something... GL Bro!

No real update on Mangino but haven't had much time today... basically all the KU folks are saying he is GONE and doesn't have a chance of staying.  Split even between those who think the AD hates him and wants him out (wasn't his hire and he's fat) and those that think the allegations have merit.  But nobody thinks he'll be here on Friday.  It is true the team is in mutiny and won't get on a plane.  WOW.  The inmates are running the prison.

Nascar's arm went numb last week!! The Ok State boards are also saying Mangino is OUT!

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1071 on: November 18, 2009, 09:34:43 PM »

DUH... I thought it was something else!!!  Sorry Nascar!  Last I heard he was doing better so unless something changed our guy is fine.

Wreck - thanks for the update. Something just isn't right with this Mangino deal.  The only players that have come forward are ones that aren't starters and the only story that is released is that he poked a player with his finger.  Ouchie.  GMAFB!!!! Man up!

Unless more is revealed it looks to me that the AD was just looking to get rid of an overweight coach who was TWO games away from being the winningest coach in school history. Last coach with that many wins was in 1902 and I am not kidding.

But for now I'm calling this a witch hunt.  If this is all this is about I hope he sues them.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1072 on: November 18, 2009, 09:45:55 PM »

DUH... I thought it was something else!!!  Sorry Nascar!  Last I heard he was doing better so unless something changed our guy is fine.

Wreck - thanks for the update. Something just isn't right with this Mangino deal.  The only players that have come forward are ones that aren't starters and the only story that is released is that he poked a player with his finger.  Ouchie.  GMAFB!!!! Man up!

Unless more is revealed it looks to me that the AD was just looking to get rid of an overweight coach who was TWO games away from being the winningest coach in school history. Last coach with that many wins was in 1902 and I am not kidding.

But for now I'm calling this a witch hunt.  If this is all this is about I hope he sues them.
No question that if this was Bill Self (by the way, an OSU grad) instead of the coach of the lowly football program -- you would not hear about any of this. Word has it that he PUNCHED a player in the face (much more than a poke or face mask pull). The AD hates Mangini from past "anger management" issues and losing 5 straight games is giving him amunition.

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1073 on: November 18, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »

No question that if this was Bill Self (by the way, an OSU grad) instead of the coach of the lowly football program -- you would not hear about any of this. Word has it that he PUNCHED a player in the face (much more than a poke or face mask pull). The AD hates Mangini from past "anger management" issues and losing 5 straight games is giving him amunition.
(The "punched in the face" reference is from KU message boards -- I don't have any corroboration of that)

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1074 on: November 18, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »

The punch is what I had read about a few weeks ago.  I haven't seen those allegations in PRINT yet - just on forums.  News reports only talk about the poke... should have clarified that. 

Same thing here re the AD's hate and anger issues.. agree.... winning season and this isn't an issue.

Guess we'll know if he quits tomorrow huh?  I just checked the school website and they play at 7pm Saturday... so he could wait to quit on Friday and the team could still fly out  Saturday.  LOL.

Thought this was interesting... this is what the SCHOOL has about him on their website:
In seven years at the University of Kansas, head coach Mark Mangino has taken the Jayhawks to heights never reached before in the program's history. Last season's trip to the Insight Bowl helped the Jayhawks set even more program firsts.

Among a number of accomplishments the 2007 consensus national coach of the year has guided the Jayhawks to:

• Four bowl games in a six-year span (2003-present). That represents one-third of KU's bowl appearances in just six years (eight bowl games in the previous 56 years since KU's first bowl game in 1948).

• Bowl games in consecutive years (2007 and 2008) for the first time in school history.

• Three consecutive bowl victories for the first time in school history.

• Eight wins in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1908 and 1909.

• Twenty wins in a two-year period, the most in consecutive years in school history (won 18 in 2006-07 and 1904-05).

• Six wins in four straight seasons (2005-08) for the first time since 1903-06.

• Combined 33-17 record in the last four years for the most wins in a four-year period.

• Set home attendance average records in each of the last four seasons.

• Returned to the national polls in 2007, the Jayhawks' first ranking since 1996.

• Were ranked in a school-record 19 consecutive Associated Press polls from 2007 through half of 2008.

Mangino did all of this after taking over a program which had not posted a winning record in any of the six seasons prior to his arrival. Already he has become the third-winningest coach in school history with 45 victories, including 33 in the last four years. He has led KU to more bowl games (four) than any previous Jayhawk coach, while his 3-1 bowl-game mark gives him the most bowl wins at the school.

His players have been recognized not only on the field of play with 73 earning All-Big 12 honors, but 45 Jayhawks have been named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team as well. In 2007 KU had two players earn First Team and one Second Team All-America honors by the Associated Press. After that season, four Jayhawks were drafted by NFL teams.

Under his guidance, KU has produced the top three total offense seasons in school history, the top two passing seasons and two of the top three scoring seasons. Defensively, Mangino's teams have produced the top three rushing defenses in school history. In addition the 2007 team led the nation in turnover margin at plus 1.62 per game.

In 2008 10 Jayhawks were named to All-Big 12 teams, including first-team selection Darrell Stuckey and second-team picks Dezmon Briscoe and James Holt. Twelve players earned Academic All-Big 12 recognition and several players were named to national award watch lists with many named as semifinalists or finalists for those awards.

In 2007, KU was among the national leaders in most statistical categories en route to producing a school-record 12 wins, a share of the Big 12 North Division title and its final highest national ranking since 1968. KU finished the year ranked seventh nationally, after reaching the second spot in the polls late in the season.

With Mangino at the helm in 2007, KU played in a January bowl game for the first time since 1969, posted an 11-game winning streak, defeated a top-five team (No. 5 Virginia Tech) for the first time in 13 seasons and recorded the first one-loss season for KU since 1947.

After that season Mangino was recognized as the consensus national coach of the year, while three Jayhawks earned All-America honors and 14 earned All-Big 12 accolades.

In 2006, he led the Jayhawks to bowl-eligibility for the second-straight year after the team posted a 6-6 overall record -- the first time since 1994-95 that the team was eligible to participate in a bowl contest in back-to-back years.

Kansas ended the regular-season as one of the hottest teams in the Big 12, claiming victories in three of its final four games of the year, including a 39-20 rout of in-state rival Kansas State. KU's three-game win streak over Colorado, Iowa State and Kansas State marked the first time in school history that the Jayhawks had won three consecutive Big 12 contests. Two KU players, Jon Cornish and Aqib Talib, earned All-Big 12 First Team honors following the season. Cornish led the Big 12 with 1,457 rushing yards and averaged a school-record 5.8 yards per carry. Talib led the nation in passes defended with an average of 2.80 break-ups per game and tied for the Big 12 lead with six interceptions.

During the 2005 season, Mangino led the Jayhawks to their first bowl victory since 1995 as the team defeated Houston 42-13 in the Fort Worth Bowl. By appearing in the 2005 bowl game, Mangino became the only coach in KU history to direct his team to a pair of bowl contests in a three-year span.

Mangino's 2005 squad also posted a perfect 6-0 record at KU's Memorial Stadium - the team's first undefeated/untied season at home since 1951. In fact, KU fans backed Mangino and his team like never before. An average of 43,675 fans showed up per game - then an all-time Memorial Stadium record. He also guided the team to its first win over Nebraska since 1968, snapping a 36-game Cornhusker win streak. In addition, Mangino's club won its third consecutive game against border rival Missouri.

He coached the 2005 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year in senior linebacker Nick Reid, who became the first Kansas player to ever earn the honor. Three of his athletes -- Reid, senior defensive end Charlton Keith and junior all-purpose player Charles Gordon, were each named All-Big 12 First Team following that season.

In 2004, Mangino guided a relatively inexperienced club to a 4-7 record, despite a schedule that included six games against opponents that were ranked among the Top 25 during the 2004 season. Only two NCAA teams played more regular-season games against opponents ranked in the Top 25.

For the first time since the 1989 season, Kansas was victorious against both of its biggest rivals -- Missouri and Kansas State. The Jayhawks snapped K-State's 11-game win-streak in the series by defeating the Wildcats 31-28 on Oct. 9 in Lawrence, and later tamed the Tigers 31-14 on Nov. 9 in Columbia, Mo.

Mangino coached his first All-American at Kansas as sophomore cornerback Charles Gordon was named All-America Third Team by the Associated Press. After recruiting Gordon to Lawrence as a wide receiver, Mangino made the bold move to switch him to the defensive side of the ball where Gordon tied for the NCAA lead with seven interceptions and broke-up a Big 12-best 15 passes.

It was easy for KU fans to see that Mangino's decision to bolster the defense was a wise move. As a team, the Jayhawks recorded 19 interceptions in 2004, the most since the 1987 club had 23. In addition, eight different Jayhawks had at least one interception, and Gordon's seven picks marked the third-best single-season total in school history and the most by one KU player since 1951.

Furthermore, the revamped secondary allowed the Jayhawk rush defense to surrender an average of just 117.6 yards per game on the ground -- the third-best average in school history and the best since 1961.

In 2003, Mangino led the Jayhawks to their first bowl appearance since 1995 when the team was selected to participate in the Mazda Tangerine Bowl. His 2003 team, which finished the season 6-7 overall, collected more victories than any KU squad since the 1995 Jayhawks ended the year with a 10-2 record. Mangino's exciting brand of offense set 12 different single-season school records including most points (384), most first downs (286), most touchdown passes (25) and most yards gained (5,479).

A dynamic recruiter, Mangino has seen two of his signees named Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year during his tenure at KU -- quarterback Bill Whittemore in 2002 and center Joe Vaughn in 2003.

Prior to his arrival in Lawrence, Mangino was one of the primary architects in the rebuilding process at both Oklahoma (1999-2001) and Kansas State (1991-98). As assistant head coach and offensive coordinator under Bob Stoops at OU, Mangino and the Sooner staff took a program that was 5-6 in 1998 and carved out seasons of 7-5 (1999), 13-0 (2000) and 10-2 (2001).

Mangino was the recipient of the 2000 Frank Broyles Award as the top assistant coach in college football in the second of his three seasons as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Oklahoma.

Throughout his career, Mangino has been associated with football programs which have experienced phenomenal success and has been a key ingredient in building that success during that time. He has been in a leadership role with teams that have qualified for bowl games in 12 of the last 15 years, including the 2000 season when the Sooners won the Big 12 Conference championship, finished ranked number one nationally and beat Florida State in the Orange Bowl to win the national title.

During its run to the national championship in 2000, Mangino's Sooner offense ranked seventh nationally in scoring (39.0) and 13th in pass offense (294.7). In addition, OU averaged more than 427 yards per game in total offense for the second consecutive season. Under the influence of Mangino as offensive coordinator, the Sooners ranked second in the conference in pass offense at the conclusion of both the 2000 and 2001 seasons.

During his three years on the Sooner staff, the OU offense scored 31 or more points in 26 of 37 games and produced 40 or more points 14 times. The Sooners averaged 34.1 points per game during those three seasons.

At Kansas State, Mangino served as recruiting coordinator, running game coordinator and, in 1998, was appointed assistant head coach. The season prior to his arrival in Manhattan, the Wildcats posted a 5-6 record. Over the next eight seasons, K-State went 71-23-1 with six consecutive nine-plus win seasons and played in six straight bowl games.

Overall, Kansas State and Oklahoma were a combined 101-30-1 and ranked in the top 25 nationally in eight of 11 seasons during Mangino's involvement on the coaching staffs.

Prior to his stint at Kansas State, Mangino worked one season as head football coach at Ellwood City (Pa.) High School. He spent three seasons (1987-89) as offensive line coach and as offensive coordinator at Geneva (Pa.) College, where he helped that program to its three best seasons (combined 24-9) in modern school history. The 1987 Geneva squad reached the NAIA national semifinals.

Mangino also coached two seasons (1985-86) at Youngstown State, including one under current Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel. He was an assistant coach at his alma mater, New Castle (Pa.) High School, for four seasons.

Mangino and his wife, Mary Jane, have a daughter, Samantha, a graduate of the University of Kansas, and a son, Tommy, who is a graduate assistant with the KU football program. Tommy and his wife Danielle, as well as Samantha and her husband, David Hardy, reside in Lawrence. Samantha and David are the parents of Mangino's granddaughter, Gabriella.

Both Coach Mangino and his wife Mary Jane are very involved in the community donating time and resources to a number of organizations.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1075 on: November 18, 2009, 11:33:25 PM »

Okay.............. I thought long and hard about posting this quote from an OSU board...........................................my apologies in advance!!!   

Quote from: cowboys_r_us;972521
Here's a funny/gross note I've heard about Mangino:

When he was at OU, some of the towels were "soiled" and it was discovered that Mangino, since he couldn't reach his hind quarters, he was using towels as floss after he used the restroom.  I don't know this firsthand, but I guess it belongs in "Coaching Rumors" about Mangino.

Sorry, if you're eating a late lunch... Very Happy

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1076 on: November 18, 2009, 11:45:41 PM »

Is anyone else signing in and getting this cowboy smiley tipping his hat at you? Second time that's happened to me this week.......so either something's up or I need sleep more than I realized? 

I do need sleep, I won't be getting any tonight so I'll be thankful when this system goes live finally on Sunday! I may sleep for a couple of days  if they let me.

Nascar is fine, it was a significant stinger but so far (knock on wood) therapy and pain meds seems to have remedied it, so hopefully it will heal and not be a recurring thing.

Well back to work for me but we need to pull out a win this weekend and next too, to make the conference championship again. We'll be going bowling but remains to be seen where.

Bean I really do not know what to make of the Mangione rumors, one thing for sure, the coaching carousel never fails to disappoint with drama does it?

I continue to stand with the girl.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1077 on: November 19, 2009, 07:02:40 AM »

EWWW Wreck... visual killing me... 

Interesting post at Husker forum... Mangino coached under Snyder.  Snyder can only hang in there so many years at K State... So K State brings Mangino on board in some capacity with plans for him to take the helm in a few years... That would give new meaning to the word rivalry huh?

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1078 on: November 19, 2009, 08:07:05 AM »

I just found the following which is the most descriptive write up I have seen so far as to what has been going on at KS.  There are a lot of coaches out there that are a-holes but can coach.  I have a real problem when a player can whine to an AD and get a coach fired... because obviously the AD was looking for an excuse.  If this is all about "hurt feelings" then I call this firing BS.  I guarantee this wouldn't be happening had the season been better. 

http://oreadboomkings.barkingcarnival.com/2009/11/18/sweet-lew-just-might-be-an-evil-genius/
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1079 on: November 19, 2009, 08:13:31 AM »

WRECK - you got a game tonight!  Should be interesting to see which Buffs team shows up... another up and down team.  How is your QB?  GL!!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.