March 18, 2024, 08:52:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256271 times)
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1180 on: December 13, 2009, 03:22:30 AM »

I don't have a problem with Mark Ingram -- he is a good man and a great player. The Heisman has become a "regional" award. When you have 2 great players from one region of the country -- you get the votes "split up" and the votes get dilluted. Suh and McCoy votes get split up and neither wins. I guess that is just the way it goes!! Suh will prove his worth in the NFL!!!

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1181 on: December 13, 2009, 12:00:50 PM »

Congrats to Mark Ingram! 

Ditto!

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1182 on: December 13, 2009, 06:35:24 PM »

Congrats to Ingram and to Bama for their first Heisman winner.  What a heart wrenching thank you he gave to the world. You gotta be happy for the kid.  He'll have many good years ahead of him too.

Suh and McCoy will be fine. Both not only talented but great people.  Heck all of them are.  The "losers" will laugh all the way to the bank in just a few short months.  No losers last night.

I really do wish there would be more specific criteria for voters in regards to what they are voting for (season, career, offense, defense, etc.)  But this complaint has been out there for a long time and nothing has changed so... it is what it is.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1183 on: December 14, 2009, 11:30:20 AM »

I don't think there is any sane person on the planet who isn't happy for Ingram, he did make a most moving speech and it was compelling.

That said, good things should happen for all of the Heisman nominees but I also think Spillars from Clemson was sorely overlooked and should have been. So I wish good things for him as well.

A note of the realities, only 300 of the top college players will have an official invite to the NFL combine, making it to the NFL is often not as easy as many might think. There are scores of good players, come even in DII that might have such a hard path if they choose to pursue that, even though they are talented.

On another note a friend sent this article to me on ESPN.com today, it really raises some important questions in terms of the revenues earned and who gets paid actually, for the 'stars' performances in the field in college football. I have to say when I think of players like Prothro at Bama who has career ending injuries, I understand boosters will ensure he has a good job and opportunity there. But what about the players like Prothro who do not?

Surely an interesting read as college coaches leap to the carousel and at times, use that as leverage to drive bigger personal contracts too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?page=fish/091211

I continue to stand with the girl.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1184 on: December 14, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »

I would never take anything away from Mark Ingram's win, because he is a talented player. I am not saying it was undeserved. All of those kids deserved the Heisman. But if I had personally been voting just on this year's performance, Suh would've gotten my vote. I have NEVER seen anything like that guy. He's almost unbelievable he's so good at what he does. If Nebraska had been going to the Rose Bowl....he might've gotten the votes to win. All of these kids are gifted, so maybe that's the difference.

If I had been voting on the entire course of a college career....I would've voted for Tebow. He has been amazing.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1185 on: December 15, 2009, 02:32:49 PM »

I would never take anything away from Mark Ingram's win, because he is a talented player. I am not saying it was undeserved. All of those kids deserved the Heisman. But if I had personally been voting just on this year's performance, Suh would've gotten my vote. I have NEVER seen anything like that guy. He's almost unbelievable he's so good at what he does. If Nebraska had been going to the Rose Bowl....he might've gotten the votes to win. All of these kids are gifted, so maybe that's the difference.

If I had been voting on the entire course of a college career....I would've voted for Tebow. He has been amazing.

We have a sophomore named Jared Crick who was on the line next to Suh who had comparable stats.  All of the D is just tremendous.  What a waste when the offense is so weak.  What we could have been with just a smidgeon of offense.  Am hoping a new QB and time to heal helps us next season.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1186 on: December 15, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »

I know what you mean beans....rebuilding can be painful to watch at times.....
But Bo has reawakened the defensive pride, and he'll get the offense going too. He's doing an outstanding job!
I'm excited about AU's future. After watching the way we played Bama,and how well Chizik and Co. had the game plan set up, I can see how good our coaches are.Even with the loss, I have to say that was one of the best coaching jobs I've seen in a long time. We just didn't have the personnel to hold off Bama. Our Defense was too worn out by the end of the 4th, and we were missing two big starters who were injured. What we did have was a brilliant game plan using what we had, and it almost worked. With a few more tools in the shed, they'll be able to really let loose, and build a great program again. We have some good talent committed already, if all of it holds up. It'll be fun to see what develops.

nonesy - I watched Nascar's last game, and I was proud of him. He knows who he is, and success will come his way. It already has, really. He is a college athlete, and that's not something many kids can say. I hope he has the time of his life at his bowl game!

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1187 on: December 16, 2009, 07:56:40 AM »

None, where is your bowl and are you going?  How exciting.  Hard to believe he is graduating! 

PDH I think your team did very well this year and the Bama game was exciting.  Your biggest challenge might be holding onto the coaches!  People will want to poach them for sure.

Very cold here... like below zero.  I hate winter.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1188 on: December 16, 2009, 06:32:24 PM »

Well, it's awfully quiet!! I guess the first bowl games are about to kick-off! 

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1189 on: December 16, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »

It has been quiet.  I haven't gotten here in a while.  I have been watching the NFL games with interest.  I keep wondering which team is going to pick Tebow.  It is sure to get beat up since most of those poor teams need a QB, but lack an offensive line.

I doubt Tebow will go # 1.  There are many quality players coming out who could impact teams.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1190 on: December 16, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »

It has been quiet.  I haven't gotten here in a while.  I have been watching the NFL games with interest.  I keep wondering which team is going to pick Tebow.  It is sure to get beat up since most of those poor teams need a QB, but lack an offensive line.

I doubt Tebow will go # 1.  There are many quality players coming out who could impact teams.
Tebow might not go 1st round. I'm not sure where he fits in the NFL. I just doubt he has the arm for a QB -- not quite fast enough as a RB. GREAT COLLEGE player .... I hope he fits somewhere!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1191 on: December 16, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »

I guess I am the peculiar one for I have always felt Tebow might not go #1 but that he would go in the early rounds and also be an impact player on offense. I hope so, I think his capability to lead is his greatest asset. Some players can't be easily categorized, I think he's one of those that the vegas odds were not designed for.

pdh - I do think you'll have a great season to come and you should be very proud of your tigers, very proud and hopeful.

bean - son's team is going to play cuz's team in the bowl, needless to say our team isn't the favored one by the vegas demi-gods  so we'll be spending new year's at the bowl game and praying real hard. He graduates day after tomorrow........I wish Rick was here, he missed both of their graduations sigh.

I hope everyone can keep warm, they are predicting snow as far south as here by Friday. brrrrrr, baby it's cold outside, I don't know how bean and GO survive it.

GO I hope your arm is healing well, looks like I'll have surgery on mine in the new year unless something drastic changes.

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1192 on: December 17, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »

I guess I am the peculiar one for I have always felt Tebow might not go #1 but that he would go in the early rounds and also be an impact player on offense. I hope so, I think his capability to lead is his greatest asset. Some players can't be easily categorized, I think he's one of those that the vegas odds were not designed for.

pdh - I do think you'll have a great season to come and you should be very proud of your tigers, very proud and hopeful.

bean - son's team is going to play cuz's team in the bowl, needless to say our team isn't the favored one by the vegas demi-gods  so we'll be spending new year's at the bowl game and praying real hard. He graduates day after tomorrow........I wish Rick was here, he missed both of their graduations sigh.

I hope everyone can keep warm, they are predicting snow as far south as here by Friday. brrrrrr, baby it's cold outside, I don't know how bean and GO survive it.

GO I hope your arm is healing well, looks like I'll have surgery on mine in the new year unless something drastic changes.

I agree, Tebow is one of those college QB's that may have difficulty.  He is big and strong, but the NFL is an entirely different game.

Sorry to hear of your arm.  They predicted it would take three months of physical therapy before I would be on my own.  Then the full recovery would be 12 months.  It is still going to be well past summer before my arm is completely healed, but I only went to PT for 8 sessions.  I have had well over a dozen surgeries and have my own way of recovering.  I have full flexibility in my shoulder even if I have a 10# weight limit now and can only add 10# per month.  I did not have any pain past the first 48 hours.  I am in the habit of not taking pain pills even though they give you a ton of them to take home.  I believe in using muscle relaxants and sleeping pills.  After one week I was back doing most things except using my right arm to lift.

My 50 years of coaching and handling athletic injuries has taught me how to recover.  I spent my college years on crutches so many times I can't count.  I know I will have arthritic pain, but it goes with the territory.

Good luck to you and write me at my personal e-mail if you wish

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1193 on: December 19, 2009, 02:14:29 PM »

GO - thank you for your post, I am so glad to hear your shoulder/arm is healing well. I think the surgery is the way for me to go, since it may be the only way to get any time off from work to heal?

We made son's grad ceremony in the sleet but it was great for my mother was a second gen grad/alum, her mother a 1st gen there, my sister the 3rd gen and now son makes 4th gen. They hardly gave son time off for the ceremony from football which honestly ticked me off, but we did get photos and yes I'm prejudiced but he was the most handsome fella up there 

He was the tallest for sure  Monkey Devil!

Some coaches must be sweating currently for the NCAA requires all players pass 6 hours in their fall semester to play in these bowl games -

Anyway, off to take my mother out in this sleet to finish her shopping 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1194 on: December 19, 2009, 05:40:35 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS TO NASCAR!!!!!!! WE ARE SO PROUD OF HIM!!!!!!

AU lost Eric Smith until Spring due to grades.....he can't play in the Out Back Bowl. The demands of football, all the bad press he got for defending himself in a fight, and the subsequent looming civil court case apparently distracted this kid from his classes, and he didn't make the grades he needed to make this semester. It's not easy to balance all that. He's very talented, but he needs to work on his academics right now before he loses his status as a starter.....or even worse. He has a great future at AU if he can pull himself back.

That's what makes Nascar such a winner! He did it all so well!!! He is one amazing young man!

To all my SM football friends...here's a gift for you!
This is a wonderful way to get into the Christmas spirit....WDE!
Be sure and watch it for a while if you can....it'll make you smile!

http://www.vimeo.com/8212552

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1195 on: December 19, 2009, 10:27:20 PM »

Shout out to Nascar!  Congrats on the diploma!  We are all proud of your work both on and off the field.  We expect greatness from you so go get em tiger.  Congrats to mom for raising a quality kid. 

PDH that was a great video.  And from TX too!  ha.  WDE. 

Bowl season about to hit.. football every night for weeks.  Love it.  Best of luck to all.

Meanwhile, merriest of Christmases and healthy new year to all!  Beans
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1196 on: December 20, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »

Merry Christmas to you to bean and all my monkey friends! worn out right now....just finished wrapping all my gifts(thank goodness oldest daughter pitched in and helped!) so i am done...no more gifts,no more shopping, no more decorating!!!

none....big news around here....2nd and 3rd string qb's are getting a lot more reps in the bowl game practices....making it sound like mallett may be more interested in the nfl draft??? that's just the pits...we get a great qb and 1 year and out....maybe he will change his mind...scouts are saying he would be the 5th qb taken this year and if he waited maybe the 1st qb next year with maybe a heisman.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1197 on: December 20, 2009, 09:46:38 PM »

Merry Xmas cuz!!  I thought Mallet was a freshman?!!!  Wow.  Kinda hard when you see what happened t o Sam Bradford at OK coming back... But I always think its best to get the degree.  Good luck in your game.

I am worn out too.  Siblings arriving to the 'artic circle' over next couple days.  Looking forward to seeing them and spoiling the little ones.  Oh and mom's home made goodies.  lol.

Seasons best to all!   
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1198 on: December 21, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »

Pdh the video is awesome, you have to love such a dedicated fan !!!  I've sent it to my nephew who is a bonafide Tiger like you.

Thank you for the kind words about son, I appreciate it so much. I hope you are having a good December? Today is my first day of vacation supposedly but I am working at least half a day tidying up 8 months of work product to zip up for the client  then I have to go help get a new roof and some plumbing repairs done on my mother's home and get her to a myriad of doctor's appointments.

Cuz, I'm going to keep totally quiet about that bowl game for I think you know how little confidence I have in our QB to endure pressure.......I'm glad you had your precious daughters to help with xmas prep.

Bean, the arctic circle?  poor you. Some down our way got a good bit of snow but not our area, good thing is it melts down here pretty fast, unlike where you have it for months and months.

I hope all of you have warm and wonderful xmas holidays with your families.

thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1199 on: December 21, 2009, 09:38:28 AM »

bean....mallet was a freshman 2 years ago at Michigan, sat out last year at ark....so he is a 3rd year sophomore...that is why he can test the draft.
i know how you feel none....not going to talk about it much either but i did want to post this poem some clever fan put together...thought everybody would enjoy it!

Twas the Week Before Christmas - Razorback Style

‘Twas the week before Christmas, when all through the town,
Not a single Razorback fan was wearing a frown;
Rooms were reserved and tickets were bought,
A Liberty Bowl win was being actively sought.

The fans in my family were watching ESPN,
With visions of A&M and BCS trips in 2010;
And I, after wrapping a new Hogs cap,
Had just settled down for a nice long nap.

When out on the lawn was a thunderous roar,
The Arkansas fight song, Woo Pig Sooie and more;
I quickly got up and rushed from my bed,
Sounds of Razorback Stadium being heard in my head.

The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow,
Gave the luster of stadium lights below;
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But members of the football team, in full Razorback gear.

With a determined driver, from what I could see,
I knew in a moment it must be Coach P;
With hopes for a bowl win his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name.

“Now Mallett!  Now, D.J.!  Now, Adams and Wright!
On, Wingo! On, Sheppard!  Let’s put up a fight!
To the top of the roof!  Let’s play some football!
It’s practice time!  Practice time!  Practice for all!"

As quick as Green can run 99 yards,
They jumped in the team bus and headed upwards;
Up to the house-top the players they flew,
With a bus full of gear, and Coach Petrino too.

And then, from Mallett, I heard overhead,
The sound of a play call as practice was led;
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney Coach P came with a bound.

He was dressed all in red, from his head to his toes,
Decked in his best Razorback clothes;
A bag full of footballs was flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.

His eyes – how they twinkled! His smile how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His headpiece was on and it started to crackle,
With orders like pump fake, and handoff, and tackle.

I looked at Coach P, and then said with a sigh,
“This season’s missed assignments and refs made me cry;
But, with all of the talent we have on this team,
It’s definitely enough to make this fan dream;
We struggled some this year for whatever reason,
Please say we win our bowl game and beat Alabama next season!”

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
He spoke no words, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,

And just as he was leaving, he spoke with no fear,
Exactly what this Razorback fan wanted to hear;
“We’re laying a strong foundation for many great years,
This season is over. We're focused on New Year's;
A bowl win, a strong class and hopefully Mallett’s return,
Will give our competition next year plenty of concern.”

Then laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;
He sprang to his bus, to his team gave a yell,
And away they all flew like “Bats out of #$((”.

But I heard him exclaim, as he drove through the snow,
“Merry Christmas to All and “Go Hogs Go”!!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.