March 18, 2024, 10:32:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256288 times)
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1540 on: January 30, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »

Today it's spitting snow....wet, cold and miserable. I'm thinking of moving to Tahiti.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1541 on: January 30, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »

Today it's spitting snow....wet, cold and miserable. I'm thinking of moving to Tahiti.

I need to modify my destination.....make that American Samoa. 80 degrees year round....and they have great FOOTBALL!!! It's perfect!!!

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1542 on: January 30, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »

Sounds like a perfect plan.  Maybe we could be paid to be recruiters for uS Teams?  That would be fun.  It is 10 here today but that sun is shining and I am grateful because it might be the 2nd day this year I have seen it. ha.  But it is still cold no matter what those weather people say.   

American Samoa it is.  I went to Tahiti about 20 yrs ago and it is breathtakingly beautiful... or it was.  Didn't see any football players at the resort hotel. ha ha ha 
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1543 on: January 30, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »

we missed the ice...thank god...had some light snow flakes...but it is colder than a witches tit now!! north ark had over a foot of snow!
miss you guys!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1544 on: January 30, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »

19?  It's 21 degrees here and still snowing, post 6 inches of snow overnight and 5 inches of sleet on top of that. Not going to warm up either so glad I don't have to try and do the slippy slide on the ice, I have food and libations and power and a fireplace. Going to hop into my big ole bed now and watch UP with daughter on the TV ! Brrrrr

Bean I don't know how you do it!! It's lovely when it's coming down but gosh the ice/sleet is what I cannot stand. We couldn't even build a decent snowman for it won't pack worth a darn!

cuz, I thought we'd lost you. Good to know you're okay and I hope hubby does some cuddling with you to keep you warm 

I just had to  Monkey Devil!

this was my vista out the front door this morning and it has only gotten higher and colder....

Would you like to repost your pic, none?  Muffy  (This post was by nonesuche.  She requested we remove the picture she posted because it needed resizing)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:09:07 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1545 on: January 30, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »

Wow! We had a light dusting down here, and it is very cold, but luckily we didn't get as much as you did nonsey!
I hate trying to drive in this kind of stuff. It made me nervous yesterday on the way home because it was sleeting heavily, and ice was piling up all over.

OK....Colts or Saints?   Of course I'm pulling for the SEC studded Colts.....AU sent a few up to Indianapolis..

Signing day next week.....I'm NERVOUS!

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1546 on: January 31, 2010, 01:20:08 AM »

Well stay warm all. I'm staying with the Colts also for the Super Bowl.
Bean which island did you go to? My favorite was Bora Bora.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1547 on: January 31, 2010, 03:20:23 AM »

It's a "toasty" 29* F in Dallas!!!    I'm thinkin' the Hawaiian Tropic girls may want to film at my house!!   

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1548 on: January 31, 2010, 03:21:40 AM »

It's a "toasty" 29* F in Dallas!!!    I'm thinkin' the Hawaiian Tropic girls may want to film at my house!!   
Now 28* 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1549 on: January 31, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »

19?  It's 21 degrees here and still snowing, post 6 inches of snow overnight and 5 inches of sleet on top of that. Not going to warm up either so glad I don't have to try and do the slippy slide on the ice, I have food and libations and power and a fireplace. Going to hop into my big ole bed now and watch UP with daughter on the TV ! Brrrrr

Bean I don't know how you do it!! It's lovely when it's coming down but gosh the ice/sleet is what I cannot stand. We couldn't even build a decent snowman for it won't pack worth a darn!

cuz, I thought we'd lost you. Good to know you're okay and I hope hubby does some cuddling with you to keep you warm 

I just had to  Monkey Devil!

this was my vista out the front door this morning and it has only gotten higher and colder....

Would you like to repost your pic, none?  Muffy  (This post was by nonesuche.  She requested we remove the picture she posted because it needed resizing)

Thank you MuffyBee, I really appreciate your help.  ::MonkeyKiss::The kids gave me a new camera for xmas and I haven't posted any photos from it yet, I should have checked prior to posting because it's a high resolution so I should have known it would be huge. 

This is the view this morning after 5 more inches of sleet and then a few hours of light snow last night. We specialize in sleet here in the south too - you step on this stuff and the first few inches are okay but then you hit a block of ice and we can't even crack it in the driveway with an axe !  I don't have four wheel drive either so we're stuck here and it's around 22 degrees out there BRRRRRRR

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1550 on: January 31, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »

Jeez that photo is still huge and I reduced it to 20% ??? 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1551 on: January 31, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »

Well stay warm all. I'm staying with the Colts also for the Super Bowl.
Bean which island did you go to? My favorite was Bora Bora.

I vote Colts too however I am happy to see the Saints do so well after they fought to keep the team in NO. Whoever wins it's a win I think.

Kiwi, son's dream is to eventually make enough funds to "retire" and go to the islands and  have his own fishing charter operation for 'extreme' sports fisherman. Another big dream, he never dreams small, I'll give him that 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1552 on: January 31, 2010, 11:06:02 AM »

Glad you are all safe. Ice is the worst.  We finally got rid of ours....I was driving on it daily 20 miles each way to work and it scared the bejesus out of me.  Seriously like I was a luge driver.

I was excited because we are supposed to be in the lower 30s all week until I saw that snow is expected Monday and Tuesday.  Sun on Wednesday.  ICE STORM ON THURSDAY FRIDAY.  So we might not be out of the dang woods.

You all stay inside cuz I know you can't drive in this stuff!!!  That is why we all have 4 or all wheel drive up here.  Safety!!

Kiwi - Bora Bora.  Prettiest place I ever saw although the locals were a bit bizarre and very rude back 20 yrs ago... not liking on tourists much. ha. 

Back to football... I just hope its a good game.  I suspect Colts will win but I do like to see underdogs win. 

PDH you guys have an awesome class ready to sign.  GL.  We are nervous here as well waiting for decisions on a couple nice players. 

Stay warm all!!!

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1553 on: January 31, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »

Gosh none!  You might be stuck at home for a while!  All of our stuff has finally melted, and it's sunny today. But still very cold.
Just the kind of day to please your TV weather people beans!

We do have a great class coming in if we can keep all those kids on track. Recruiting can get vicious, and there are some ugly rumors about another school offering money to some of our top recruits. 
I'd hate to be feeling the pressure that some of the kids must be experiencing.

2010 will be fun, anyway, and I can't wait to see some action from these kids we're signing! A large majority of them will get playing time right away. It's great to be back on track!

thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1554 on: January 31, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »

guess i will be the odd ball and pull for the saints! when a team has never made the super bowl and at one time the fans wore sacks over their heads you gotta hope their dreams come true. besides i have several good friends in new orleans who would kill me if i pulled for the colts. i do like peyton manning and i wanted them to win couple years back when they did. ever since their coach left i am not as big a fan...he was really special.
doesn't sound like the hogs are going to have a really good recruiting class this year...we have too many returning stars i guess? oh well, as a sports writer said in the ark democrat....don't mean a lot...look at usc with 12 5 star and 25 4 star recruits but still only 5-6 last year...lol!!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1555 on: February 01, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »

OMG cuz....is this correct?

I just read on another board that Texas stole your kicker recruit....

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1556 on: February 02, 2010, 01:00:15 AM »

Wow sorry to here that Cuz.
Bean interesting I was there 19 years ago. Stayed at the Hotel Bora Bora in a hut over the deep water. Interesting that I thought the locals were the most friendly people on the planet. Even refused tips. The opposite was true of the colonists. The food and island were fantastic. How about that landing on the outer reef. Looked and felt like you were crashing in the ocean.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1557 on: February 02, 2010, 07:47:59 PM »

looks like 3 have jumped ship.....not looking good for the rhinobacks!

class at Arkansas maybe since 1984.
By Andy Hodges
The Hog Country Blog

As if Bobby Petrino didn’t need any more bad news about recruiting, he got some Monday.

Shreveport Evangel Christian Academy kicker/punter William Russ switched his commitment to Texas from Arkansas after a visit to Austin and finally getting an offer from the Longhorns. That wasn’t great and probably wouldn’t merit a blip on the radar. There certainly wouldn’t be cause for alarm bells to be sounding.

However, losing wide receiver Armand Williams (6-2, 185) of Slidell, La., to LSU and another wide receiver, Deonte Welch (6-1, 185) of Williston, Fla., to South Florida, DO raise red flags. In fact, go ahead and sound the alarm bells.

With national signing day just 24 hours away, Bobby and his staff suddenly have three more scholarships to hand out and it’s not exactly like they were turning away blue-chippers with what they had. This class is shaping up to be as bad as Ken Hatfield’s last two recruiting classes (1988 and 1989) and his first (1984).

The 1984 class may have been the biggest heist of marquee in-state talent ever. Players like Keith Jackson of Little Rock Parkview, Fort Smith’s Mark Hudson and Pine Bluff’s Eric Mitchell all went to Oklahoma. It was the news of those three and some other top prospects around the state looking to go elsewhere that forced Frank Broyles to pull the plug on the Lou Holtz tenure.

Recruiting is full of hits and misses every year.

Just because Auburn is signing what is now projected to be the second best class in the SEC (yes, they slipped past Alabama on Monday) and third best in the country doesn’t mean you should start putting the Tigers into any championship games yet. As we have pointed out, teams with great classes fall on their faces all the time. Check out Michigan for reference. By the same token, you never see a team consistently in the bottom half of their league’s recruiting classes every year win any championships.

It just doesn’t happen.

Since Arkansas came into the SEC in 1992, they have played in the conference championship game three times. They haven’t won a single time and were not able to convert any of those appearances in the title game into a BCS-caliber bowl bid. They best they’ve done is the Capital One Bowl twice.

Getting enough players to compete consistently for the championship in the toughest league in America is hard for any Razorback coach, so this isn’t necessarily a knock on Bobby, who probably recognizes this as much as anyone. He’s got to put some sort of positive spin on it every year for the fans’ sake. But he has to know the truth of the matter is the Hogs just can’t get the number of players necessary to compete for the title year-in and year-out without some help.

That help has usually come in the form of avoiding injuries through the rugged early part of the schedule and having teams like Alabama, LSU and Auburn shoot themselves in the foot. Oh, Ole Miss and Mississippi State will make a nuisance of themselves every few years, but cracking the top three is the challenge every year.

The only way to make up that ground consistently is to make up ground in recruiting, something Arkansas has never been able to do. The numbers do not lie, despite what people tell you about rankings not really being that important and other such trifling data. Alabama, LSU and Auburn consistenly get the best players in the West … and they usually end up having the best records in the West. Sure, the Hogs are competitive an awful lot, which is really the biggest tradition that Razorback football has.

There’s still 24 hours, though, before the names go on the dotted line.

Right now, Arkansas’ recruiting class ranks only above Kentucky in the SEC. Yes, Vanderbilt’s class is rated higher.

Unless it makes drastic improvement literally overnight, there really isn’t an acceptable excuse for that.

We’ve said it before, regardless of the ranking this year, the effect won’t be felt from this class until 2011 or 2012 at the earliest. With some exceptions on defense (where every job should be wide open going into spring drills), the Hogs are pretty well set to put points on the board and, hopefully, have some consistency in the kicking game.

That should put 10 wins on the board in 2010 and you hope that’s enough to finish higher than third in the West.

But after that is where the questions lie.

At least they would if a coach plans to be here that long
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1558 on: February 02, 2010, 08:15:01 PM »

Ouch Cuz!  That hurts bad.  I understand these are young kids and all but where I have a problem is when someone commits and makes the last minute change that really hurts the coaches that put trust in them.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.  Maybe Cuz you will have 3 surprise commits to make up for today? 

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1559 on: February 02, 2010, 11:28:51 PM »

Well good luck to everyone tomorrow ..... anyone hearing of any other "switcheroos"???? 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.