March 19, 2024, 12:04:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256303 times)
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1880 on: July 30, 2010, 08:17:59 AM »

Interesting article with lots of details on the Massoli story.. .enjoy
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/07/27/masoli/index.html
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1881 on: July 31, 2010, 01:50:56 AM »

I don't think I believe he's as innocent as he claims. That story is just a little too convoluted for me to buy into. In my opinion.... he's just trouble.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1882 on: July 31, 2010, 04:14:47 AM »

I don't think I believe he's as innocent as he claims. That story is just a little too convoluted for me to buy into. In my opinion.... he's just trouble.

As much as we Huskies dislike that place in Eugene, I don't wish Masoli on anyone.This young man has been given more chances then one can imagine,and STILL hasn't made the right choices.He's been getting into trouble since high school.When I say trouble,I don't mean public intoxication,DUI's,minor in possessions.I understand these aren't to be taken lightly, but compared to robbery,and or burglary,those pale in comparison.Coach Kelly gave Masoli every opportunity to change his ways and he still found trouble!Do I hope he can choose the right path?Absolutely.Would I bet my Husky season tickets on it?Absolutely NOT!

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1883 on: July 31, 2010, 04:27:49 AM »

Before going into Masoli's account of his downfall, as told to SI.com, however, consider a brief recap of what's happened since January:

•He allegedly participated in a burglary of an Eugene fraternity house on Jan. 24, then repeatedly denied - to his coach, to police, to others - involvement in the matter.
•He pleaded guilty to that crime on March 12 in Lane County Circuit Court, and was subsequently suspended for the 2010 football season.
•Told to stay on the straight and narrow if he hoped to potentially don a Ducks uniform again, he was pulled over for traffic violations and a minor drug possession charge in Springfield on June 7, non-criminal charges which led to his dismissal from Oregon's football program and to which he initially pleaded not guilty.
•Then, on July 21, he pleaded guilty in that case, raising questions about whether it constitutes a violation of his burglary conviction, while he attempted to find a place to continue his college career. 

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/07/jeremiah_masoli_talks_to_sicom.html

Masoli is unwilling to discuss the details of his guilty plea for the robberies in and around San Mateo, Calif., in 2005, which resulted in his expulsion from Serra High and a stint in the juvenile detention center.

http://www.dwightjaynes.com/some-news-about-jeremiah-masolis-background-and-its-not-pretty

Do I beleive in second chances?Absolutely.Has Masoli been given more then a few second chances?Absolutely.At this point,he's not going to prison which is an opportunity in and of itself.Does he deserve to play collegiate athletics at this point?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1884 on: July 31, 2010, 07:20:36 PM »

I agree... the kid is trouble with a T.  I think Nutt is, a nut to take him. 
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1885 on: August 01, 2010, 09:04:12 AM »

AU just got a great commitment today,C.J. Uzomah.  We have gotten some really exciting kids lately, and I just can't wait until some of them take the field.

Our first game of the 2010 season is inching closer. I'm making preparations, and planning the menu. I'm also giving the dog a tune-up....

WDE!!!

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1886 on: August 01, 2010, 09:18:52 AM »

Nutt's desperate. He has almost nothing on the depth chart at QB. And I do mean nothing. Ray Cotton was his main man, and now he left school. The Rebels are high and dry in the signal calling dept. Nutt had to get somebody that has some kind of experience. Enter Mr. Masoli.....

Masoli is gonna have to take the field blind...and in the SEC at that. 
Our style of football is nothing like what that kid is used to in the PAC 10, and he's got no time to get seasoned. He won't really know the playbook either. He may have a rough year. He'll be lucky if some SEC defense doesn't tear his head off. I don't know much about the Ole Miss O-Line, but I hope they are good.

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1887 on: August 02, 2010, 01:37:38 PM »

Nutt's desperate. He has almost nothing on the depth chart at QB. And I do mean nothing. Ray Cotton was his main man, and now he left school. The Rebels are high and dry in the signal calling dept. Nutt had to get somebody that has some kind of experience. Enter Mr. Masoli.....

Our style of football is nothing like what that kid is used to in the PAC 10, and he's got no time to get seasoned. He won't really know the playbook either. He may have a rough year. He'll be lucky if some SEC defense doesn't tear his head off. I don't know much about the Ole Miss O-Line, but I hope they are good.
Doesn't he have sit to out a year before he is eligible?

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1888 on: August 02, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »

Seems like I read he isn't taking a scholarship so he doesn't have to sit out.. not sure.. memory fuzzy. 
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1889 on: August 03, 2010, 05:49:24 AM »

Doesn't he have sit to out a year before he is eligible?

BBM

Nope. He has one year of eligibility left, and he can use it if Ole Miss has a graduate program that Oregon doesn't offer..... very convenient for him

I'd like Masoli a little bit better if he'd just admit that he was stupid and immature, and made some really bad choices. All I see from him are excuses. For the sake of the other kids on the Rebels team, I hope Masoli will behave and not be a distraction.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1890 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:06 PM »

PDH - Just for you!  Thought you would enjoy this read about Tommy Tuberville's reception by his team... great read from our paper!

Barfknecht: Tuberville hire a good move, Tech QB says
Don't look for Texas Tech quarterback Steven Sheffield and fired Tech coach Mike Leach to do lunch any time soon.

Not after Sheffield called Leach's ouster “a blessing in disguise'' for the program.

The senior from Austin, Texas, whose nickname is “Sticks,'' openly hurled stones during Big 12 media days at Leach's quirky style.

Leach, known for his single-mindedness toward offense, really did ignore the defense to the point of not even knowing the game plan or major calls at critical times.

“This sounds bad, but they were treated like the step-child,'' Sheffield said, which led to stress between the two units. “They were off on their own and did about whatever they wanted.''

Leach also tried to keep out any NFL influences, to the point of intentionally misleading his players about agents.

“We thought it was illegal to talk to agents,'' Sheffield said. “We had a sign in our facility that there was a $500 reward if anybody saw an agent.''

Schools often tailor some of their teachings and physical conditioning to work done in the NFL, which helps during pro tryouts. Sheffield said that was absent under Leach, leading some Red Raiders to feel they were behind the curve.

Sheffield offered this example:

Leach, for all his self-promoted wizardry, told his quarterbacks nothing more than to throw to the open receiver. Under a new staff, Sheffield said, different reads are in place for different defenses from the first step.

“And our steps must be precise,'' he said. “Stats are kept on those things, and they are shown to players every day.

“NFL scouts look at that stuff. They look at your first step being straight back and not false-stepping. That's stuff we were never coached up on.''

Like many college athletes who see their coach fired, Sheffield originally hoped someone on the staff would be promoted, simply to avoid the hassle of major change.

In this case, it was popular associate head coach Ruffin McNeill, who coached Tech to a win in the Alamo Bowl.

But McNeill went to East Carolina. And the Tech administration went outside for Tommy Tuberville.

Sheffield said it took one meeting with Tuberville to ease his mind.

“The first thing he told us,'' Sheffield said, “is that we're trying to win the Big 12 championship.''

What's the big deal about that? Isn't that what all coaches tell their teams?

Not Leach.

“That was something that was never brought up before,'' Sheffield said. “Championships were not talked about in the Leach Era. It was win one game a week.''

That philosophy got Tech into 10 straight bowls under Leach. But none was a BCS bowl. And the Red Raiders sniffed only one championship, in 2008, and that ended with a 44-point loss to Oklahoma.

It wasn't just Tuberville who got Sheffield motivated for this season.

“When I saw his hires, I just went, ‘Wow!''' he said. “These guys know what they are doing.''

Offensive coordinator Neal Brown is charged with helping pick a No. 1 quarterback between Sheffield and fellow senior Taylor Potts.

Both have starting experience. Both have thrown seven touchdown passes in a game. And both are coming off injuries that knocked them out of spring practice — Sheffield with a broken foot and Potts with a broken index finger on his throwing hand.

Sheffield reinjured the same foot first broken last October by Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh.

“From watching tape,'' Sheffield said, “I can't tell if it's when I planted and he hit me or when I got slammed to the ground.''

Texas Tech struggled at quarterback last season but seemed to get a spark from Sheffield before he was sidelined. Meanwhile, Potts was booed by home fans, and for one week wore the name “Nick'' on the back of his jersey because Leach thought it sounded tougher.

But with a new coach, no one is sure which of the two has the best chance to start.

Sheffield said he and Potts don't hang around together but that both are handling the situation well.

“It would be a waste of time,'' Sheffield said, “if we went around writing hateful messages to each other and slipped them in each other's locker.''

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100801/SPORTS/708019770
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1891 on: August 04, 2010, 09:46:51 AM »

enjoyed that article bean!
getting excited...not long now!!!
i feel so sorry for all the high school,college and pro players having to practice in this heat!!! looks like this summer is going down as the hottest summer on record!
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1892 on: August 04, 2010, 09:48:26 AM »

where is none????? hey, just because son is not playing college ball this year doesn't mean you can leave us!!!!!
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1893 on: August 04, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »

Warning -- this thread will change on page 100! 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1894 on: August 04, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »

You kidding Wreck?  We like to go on and on and on...  You really gonna change up threads on us? 

Is there any way to rearrange the order of the emoticons?  lol.. I want all the football ones to show up first.  Can I edit preferences or am I hallucinating?

Yep almost season!  Haven't seen None over here recently... agreed...we need her back.  She can still cheer.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1895 on: August 04, 2010, 01:49:18 PM »

You kidding Wreck?  We like to go on and on and on...  You really gonna change up threads on us? 

Is there any way to rearrange the order of the emoticons?  lol.. I want all the football ones to show up first.  Can I edit preferences or am I hallucinating?

Yep almost season!  Haven't seen None over here recently... agreed...we need her back.  She can still cheer.
Actually -- they are going to start going to 50 pages instead of 100!  Don't worry -- it will still be "Football with Frijole"!! 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1896 on: August 04, 2010, 10:16:10 PM »

Thanks for the article beans. Tubby seems to have a renewed spirit, and he will be great for TTech. Of course I'm now a Red Raider fan, and I wish Tubby all the best. I can't wait to see them play.

Hey cuz! Great to see you back!

Somebody go drag nonesy away from the Natalee thread and tell her to report in to fan camp.

Who else are we missing?

Great Owl hasn't been around lately either.....

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1897 on: August 04, 2010, 10:29:29 PM »

Good news for Cuz and the  Razorbacks. 

Bama lost a starter at supposedly their weakest position - safety.  Had to laugh... on the board I got this from they said Houston Nutt would probably pick up this kid.    Monkey Devil!

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/safety_rod_woodson_no_longer_w.html
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1898 on: August 04, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »

Wrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeecccccccckkkkkkkkk!I know you have the BIG RED phone sitting next to you in your embroidered Monkey chair so,give Russell a call now,and tell him to get the DEAL DONE!!I know you got pull Wreck...Just for you Wreck....

Proud and immortal, Bright shines your name;
Oklahoma State, We herald your fame.
Ever you'll find us-loyal and true.
To our Alma Mater, O...S...U.

MOHANDAS GANDHI
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1899 on: August 04, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »

Wrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeecccccccckkkkkkkkk!I know you have the BIG RED phone sitting next to you in your embroidered Monkey chair so,give Russell a call now,and tell him to get the DEAL DONE!!I know you got pull Wreck...Just for you Wreck....

Proud and immortal, Bright shines your name;
Oklahoma State, We herald your fame.
Ever you'll find us-loyal and true.
To our Alma Mater, O...S...U.

Well done, Sir!!!  I can't figure out what Okung's deal is 
He needs to sign and get to camp !! ..... I'll make a few calls!! 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.