March 18, 2024, 10:26:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256287 times)
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2009, 09:36:58 PM »

I can certainly see why you'd have fond childhood memories of that.  Fun.  That is what makes college sports so great.  The traditions and craziness of it all.

OK - next question.  So what is the connection of the mascot Tiger and War Dammmm Eagle (you do have an eagle right?)  That confuses me too.  I'll just keep asking questions til fall games begin. ha ha ha
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2009, 08:23:50 AM »

Today is our first practice!

Bo held first press conference.  Upbeat. No nonsense. ha. 
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2009, 11:24:50 PM »

beans - I'll get back here to answer your question about the Tiger and War Eagle. I'm just doing a fly-by tonight.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2009, 08:11:38 AM »

NASCAR's first scrimmage is on his birthday, thinking of driving over for it with his Nana and sister but like you Bean, it's exciting to see spring football again ! 

I continue to stand with the girl.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2009, 08:24:48 AM »

NASCAR's first scrimmage is on his birthday, thinking of driving over for it with his Nana and sister but like you Bean, it's exciting to see spring football again ! 

Go girl go!  Double reason to do it.  Nana would love it too.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2009, 11:10:49 PM »

Arrrgghh turns out I was wrong, the 2nd scrimmage is on his birthday which is a weekday, not a weekend. Of course the Nana is raring to go but I'll have to see if I can take off from work early........going to try but then of course I may be downsized by then so no problem 

I continue to stand with the girl.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2009, 12:49:28 AM »

I can certainly see why you'd have fond childhood memories of that.  Fun.  That is what makes college sports so great.  The traditions and craziness of it all.

OK - next question.  So what is the connection of the mascot Tiger and War Dammmm Eagle (you do have an eagle right?)  That confuses me too.  I'll just keep asking questions til fall games begin. ha ha ha

There's really no connection between the two other than both are considered mascots, but for different reasons. They both came from different origins. The team's official title is the Auburn Tigers, so you see the Tiger a lot, and the stadium is nicknamed The Jungle.  But the eagle is also a symbol that most people think originated in a game almost a hundred years ago. And since AU has a world renowned School of Veterinary Medicine, and the Raptor Center is a part of that, having an eagle as a school symbol just sort of fits too. It all kind of evolved because people loved the phrase "War Eagle" and it got picked up at the games.
When we are having a home game, and one of the eagles flys around the stadium before a game, I get chills, and I have cried because I am so moved by those magnificent creatures, and what they are doing. It is a magnificent sight. The Raptor Center does really great work, and it's a fascinating place to visit. I just love to go there. They train the eagles that do the stadium flight. It's an awe-inspiring feat and it takes a long, long time to prepare an eagle for that kind of performance. It's one of those things that's hard to explain unless you see it happen, but it is so beautiful to watch......I'm gushing, I know, but I love animals.

http://www.aualum.org/spirit/traditions-wareagle.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08JlMvAjuho&NR=1

http://www.alumni.auburn.edu/spirit/traditions-eagle.html

I think it might be fun while we're waiting for the season to start for us to post some traditions from our teams, and some you-tubes.
I want to know about the black shirts for the defense, beans...

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »

This is fun!  I too really enjoy learning about traditions.  Thanks for sharing all of that.  I will go read it now.  I did know about Auburns vet school and research.  The company I work for is a large agricultural supply distributor and they are a client.  I oversee the young woman who works with the Auburn account.  Small world.

I will gladly share the Blackshirt story.  I happen to be reading a book on the history of NE football that I got for Christmas and the more detailed version is in there.  Give me some time to find it and I'll post it. 

I am off to Omaha - stepfather had surgery yesterday.  He is OK, just recovering from it.

Thanks again PDH.

I'll think of some questions for the others as well.  Lots of tradition and you are right - a perfect timne to discuss it.  Later!
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »

One of Huskers' most well-known traditions is of the Blackshirts, which has become the common nickname for Nebraska's defensive unit. The term originally dates back to the early 1960s and refers to the black practice jerseys that Nebraska's first-string defenders wear in practice.  

Of course it evolved by accident.  Bob Devaney was the coach - he was alot like Bear Bryant - mean and full of piss and vinegar. 
The Huskers were preparing for a game at Minnesota, and Head Coach Bob Devaney was looking for a way to distinguish the different defensive units on the practice fields. Devaney sent assistant coach Mike Corgan to a local sporting goods store to find some "contrast jerseys," a sleeveless pullover that went on top of the players' practice jerseys. While the top offensive unit practiced in red jerseys and the second-string offense worked in green pullovers, the first string defense wore black pullovers and the second string wore the contrasting gold jerseys.

So it started off simply as a color coded shirt... didn't mean much til Nebraska started to play mean and hard core defense. 
It took several years before the state's newspapers started referring to the Husker defense as the Blackshirts.  The term began to catch on during Monte Kiffin's tenure as defensive coordinator in the mid-1970s, before the Blackshirts earned national acclaim under Charlie McBride, who served as the Huskers' defensive coordinator from 1982 to 1999. NU ranked among the nation's top 10 in all four major defensive categories (rush defense, pass defense, total defense and scoring defense) on four occasions, helping Nebraska to national titles in 1994, 1995 and 1997.

At that time the skull and cross bones became the official Blackshirt logo.  The players after a great defensive stand will "throw the bones".  That's when they take their arms and cross them at the elbows mimicking the crossbones.  Nebraska became known for it's outstanding defense and the fans were just as excited to see them play as the offense.

Members of the top defensive unit used to receive their Blackshirts the week of the season opener. It is an HONOR to wear and they are like a fraternity.

Under Callahan's regime the tradition waned and the players didn't even know the story behind it so the meaning was lost.  When Bo Pelini returned to Nebraska in 08 he yanked the blackshirts and refused to hand them out until the players had EARNED them by playing excellent, mistake free defense.  It is no longer something the starters automatically get.

The jerseys are now distributed to the Blackshirts in a team ceremony. Before bowl games, all senior defensive players are awarded honorary Blackshirts at the bowl site to wear during game preparations.

I will try to find some of the classic black shirt videos for you.  I know as an Auburn fan PDH you will LOVE the defensive hits.  That is what Husker fans are hoping to see again this year.  Good old fashioned smash mouth defense.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »

Not sure this is the best Blackshirts video but I've spent the last hour or so watching a bunch of video and had goosebumps, cried watching Tom Osbornes last speech to his team, etc.  So I hope you enjoy the one I picked.  Some old footage in places so video quality will vary but you will see not only hard hits but a WHOLE lot of scoring by the defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGlOfgoP1-I&feature=related
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »

Beans that was GREAT!!!!

I do love a team with a hard-hitting and fast defensive unit. I am almost bored by all the showy offenses that are so popular right now, and you can see what happens when that kind of team meets up with a team that has a more balanced approach to the game. A great defense is an obstacle that's almost impossible for an opponent to overcome. You can stop an offense that's better than your own, if you have the right defenders on the field, and still win the game. All you need from the offense is some consistent production. They don't have to be putting up huge numbers for a team to win.
Those Blackshirts are also a great psychologial tool. They seem kinda terrifying! I'm sure the  opposing QB1 has a lot of dread in his heart when he sees them coming out onto the field. The O-line has to do a gut check on every down! 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2009, 07:52:41 PM »

Beans that was GREAT!!!!

I do love a team with a hard-hitting and fast defensive unit. I am almost bored by all the showy offenses that are so popular right now, and you can see what happens when that kind of team meets up with a team that has a more balanced approach to the game. A great defense is an obstacle that's almost impossible for an opponent to overcome. You can stop an offense that's better than your own, if you have the right defenders on the field, and still win the game. All you need from the offense is some consistent production. They don't have to be putting up huge numbers for a team to win.
Those Blackshirts are also a great psychologial tool. They seem kinda terrifying! I'm sure the  opposing QB1 has a lot of dread in his heart when he sees them coming out onto the field. The O-line has to do a gut check on every down! 

You are so smart.  That was exactly the point... psychology... which T Osborne is degreed in.  In those days the D scared the bejesus out of people.  They talked some major trash, hit hard and the other team coughed up the ball several times a game.

Another thing most don't realize is that Osborne's version of the option is the foundation from which the spread has been built.  Its funny because everyone said it was so "outdated" and passing was where it was at...full circle.  LOL

I'll share more traditions with time - best to spread them out.

Let's come up with questions for other teams:

1.  I want to know why Notre Dame has official colors of navy and gold but yet throws in the green.  If they are the Irish why not just have green in there to begin with?  Ya know?

2.  Cuz - who in the heck came up with that pig souie chant?  LOL  I know there are large hog operations down there.   And wild mean ass ones called Razorback.  But who came up with the chant and was it weird the first time you chanted it?  LOLOL

3.  What is a  Rocky Top?

4.  What did Ohio State name their team after a NUT?

5.  Why does Bama have an elephant?  Are there elephants in Bama?  And how does TIDE fit into this?

That ought to keep us going for a bit.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #232 on: March 29, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »

PDH, I forgot 

I had seen the Eagle flight before - it is unreal.  Can you imagine the first time you are trying it with a new eagle?  LOL  does the eagle ever have an accident?  With all that noise I'd think it'd scare the crap out of the eagle.  LMAO  are there Eagles naturally down there?  We have them here.  Just curious.  How did the DAMN get added to the chant?  Just for emphasis?  LOL
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2009, 09:05:44 PM »

PDH, I forgot 

I had seen the Eagle flight before - it is unreal.  Can you imagine the first time you are trying it with a new eagle?  LOL  does the eagle ever have an accident?  With all that noise I'd think it'd scare the crap out of the eagle.  LMAO  are there Eagles naturally down there?  We have them here.  Just curious.  How did the DAMN get added to the chant?  Just for emphasis?  LOL

Yes we do have eagles down here, but of course not as many as we used to have. That's what makes The Raptor Center so important. They do rehabilitate and return to the wild whenever possible.
The birds are trained over a very long period of time, years, really, and they are used to the noise because they train them using crowd noise and movement. They could have an accident, I guess, but I don't think they feed them before the flight, only after as a reward most likely. I could be wrong about that, but having trained birds before, that's what I did. I used food as an incentive. I'm sure it works the same way with raptors. The birds they use are older ones, and they are less aggressive, and more accepting of their training. It really is a fascinating show of expertise.
The "damn" part is   just for emphasis, and you know college kids... My son always asks me if he can use the cuss word in the Weegle cheer

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2009, 09:56:14 PM »

I can answer some of your questions beans, but I don't have a lot of the details....

The Crimson Tide is meant to be a description of a tide of football players wearing crimson, the school's colors, and rolling over their opponents in a powerful wave...like a tsunami. ::MonkeyEek::Hence the "Roll Tide" 

I have no idea about the elephant.....and we do have them down here...in The Birmingham Zoo...
I'll have to check that out!

Knoxville TN is in Mountain Country...the Appalacians, so Rocky Top is a reference to that. I can't remember if if Rocky Top is an actual town, or a mountain, though.
The Volunteers came from soldiers who volunteered to fight courageously and heroicall in TN.'s early history.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »

Where the heck is that edit button!

I meant to say " settlers who heroically volunteered to be soldiers" kinda like Davy Crockett. That's why you see the guy in the coonskin cap and buckskins....

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2009, 11:35:27 PM »

Here's info on the Alabama elephant and how it got started....

http://www.rolltide.com/trads/elephant.html

Here's the official version of the name "Crimson Tide" , and it differs somewhat from what I was told about the name by my Mother who went to 'Bama, and by various other family alumni, but since it's from the official school site, it should be posted here as the answer.

http://www.rolltide.com/trads/why-crimson.html

Here's a link to explain everything you ever wanted to know about the TN. Vols....

http://www.utalumni.com/nashville/traditions.html

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »

OK...this is what I want to know....

What in the heck is a Hokie?

And who had "Trojans"  first...USC or Troy University?

Who picked Oregon's colors, and who decided to paint a football field bright blue?

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2009, 07:07:17 AM »

Where the heck is that edit button!

I meant to say " settlers who heroically volunteered to be soldiers" kinda like Davy Crockett. That's why you see the guy in the coonskin cap and buckskins....

Yeah I knew the Volunteer part cuz we've played thenm and I talk with fans.. it was the Rocky Top that had me confused.  LOL
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2009, 07:12:37 AM »

OK...this is what I want to know....

What in the heck is a Hokie?

And who had "Trojans"  first...USC or Troy University?

Who picked Oregon's colors, and who decided to paint a football field bright blue?

I can help with a couple...

Years ago we played V Tech at the Orange Bowl.  We interviewed a BUNCH of Hokie fans and most did not know.  LOL  Alot of them told us it was a castrated turkey!  However, I saw a story on it and it is a "call" that was started over a hundred year ago.  So it really isn't anything.   

I believe that NIKE picked Oregon's colors.  They use them as an experiment for new colors, trends etc. since they are headquartered there.  They get alot of free stuff.  I'm with you. yuck.

Re Trojans - not sure. ha.

Re blue turf - whoever it was is blind.  I find that very tough on the eyes.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.