March 19, 2024, 12:03:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256302 times)
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2009, 06:56:34 PM »

This article actually came from the University's Big Red Network....When I read it I didn't know it was satire fyi.  LOL  This is about the Miami QB that left and is looking at NU, Michigan and other places.  He 's visiting us at our spring game Saturday... on to the article:

Robert Marve wanted to come to Nebraska's spring game this Saturday to get a good, close look at the Huskers offense. He had no idea it was going to be this close.

In a surprising announcement after practice Wednesday, Bo Pelini said that Marve will not just be watching the annual spring scrimmage, he will be playing quarterback for the White squad.

"It's certainly not an ideal situation," Pelini said, "but with (Spano's) injury and (Witt's) transfer we were a little thin back there. Nebraska football is about competing and what better way to see if a kid can compete than going live out there on the field?"

Marve had listed Nebraska as one of six schools he was considering as a potential transfer destination back in March. The former University of Miami quarterback had planned to continue his tour of schools next week with stops at Texas Tech and Arizona State, but the chance for immediate scout team playing time may have moved the Huskers to the top of the list.

"Earlier I said it was too early to say where he's at," said Robert Weiner, Marve's former coach at Plant High School. "Now, to hand the reins to a kid who has zero familiarity with offense, I think that's a great indication of Nebraska's confidence in his abilities and I know that sort of thing ranks high with Rob. He's a gut feel kind of guy."

Saturday will certainly be a gut-check, both for Marve and offensive coordinator Shawn Watson. "Sure, we'll have to simplify things a bit," said Watson on Wednesday. "There will be an element of drawing plays in the dirt, run a slant once you hit the street light, that sort of thing, but football is football. In a lot of ways this is the ultimate tryout, both for Robert and for us."

An unfamiliar offense, however, might be the least of Marve's worries. As the quarterback is not technically a Husker yet and will be forced to sit out a year following the transfer, Pelini said Marve will be playing Saturday without the green "hands off" jersey.

"This isn't just about offense or dwindling quarterback numbers," said defensive coordinator Carl Pelini. "Part of the reason we decided to do this as a staff was to get our defense some live reps as well. I've got 30 or 40 guys who've gone three weeks in the spring without being able to hit a quarterback. They're chomping at the bit. Marve gives us the flexibility to do that and I'm planning to blitz the hell out of him."

When asked if such a move was allowed under NCAA rules, Bo Pelini threw the question right back at the roomful of reporters. "What do you think? No, seriously, what do you think? I have no idea," Pelini said. "From our perspective the benefits are pretty obvious. Marve gets a chance to not just see but play Nebraska football, our fans get a chance to see him play before he enrolls, our defense gets to pin their ears back for an afternoon, and we minimize the risk of further injury to one of the three quarterbacks already on the roster. It's a win, win, win, win situation."

Will Marve see it that way?

"Rob's a gladiator out there on the football field," Weiner said via phone. "The chance to play in Memorial Stadium in front of 80,000 crazed fans is an honor and a challenge, but it's not like his fate will be decided with a thumbs up or down after the game."

Pelini declined to comment on whether or not Marve's future as a Husker would be decided by popular vote Saturday, but did say that Zac Lee, LaTravis Washington and Cody Green will all be wearing green jerseys and splitting snaps for the Red team under the new arrangement.

Robert Marve is scheduled to arrive in Lincoln late Friday afternoon.

From time to time, the Big Red Network will publish “Onion”-style satire. We apologize in advance to anyone we may offend, it's all meant as harmless fun. We can assure you, the reader, that no recruits were harmed in assembling this piece.

www.bigrednetwork.com
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #281 on: April 16, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »

Cuz - this ones for you.  Husker fans followed the Mitch Mustain saga pretty close and still do... prima donna... and his mom.,,, lol  they just posted this article... says hes #3 on USC depth chart.  Thought you'd like to see that.

http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=936410
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #282 on: April 16, 2009, 08:37:31 PM »

Yes we've talked about that game. I was there and you were in red! Still it was the first time I've ever been to a home game with more fans than the home team. It never happens in Ann Arbor, even with 100K+ for every home game.
You asked how old was Bruce Snyder. He was 69, lost to cancer.
Cuz send your extras to Michigan, their in serious need of even one QB.

Kiwi, excuse my memory lapse... we did have that conversation.  And I did read about Michigans' woes at QB.  That is awful.  There a kid who left the Miami team visiting both NU and MI (amongt others)  Same radio guy yesterday was saying that he felt it was a no brainer the kid should/would go to MI because he has a greater guarantee of immediate PT.  Problem is he can't play for a year.  Good luck.

OK now it's your turn to share some of Michigan's traditions.  Gameday, mascot, history.... we wanna know.  And do YOU know why Ohio State named their team after a nut?  I am curious.

Sorry to say but I don't remember seeing anything like a mascot or anything unusual for game day.  Basically, just getting 100+ into a game seems to be the biggest part of the event. At least 80,000 park on the side streets and walk for a few miles. That part is interesting, just seeing the crowd grow as you get closer to the stadium. The last time I was there, I was able to park across the street. At the time my son was 9. We flew in just for the game and sat in the end zone. He loved it all! As far as a tailgate party outside there really isn't the parking lots for that. I do remember the tailgate party for the Huskers at ASU being rather massive. Basically, filling all the parking around the stadium. Oh as for why OSU picked a nut, I have no idea!

Cuz - Its OK, he's allowed to go home. But you still owe us one QB please.

None- Who is Greg Paulus? Would he have to sit out a year?

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #283 on: April 16, 2009, 10:30:07 PM »

Son's spring game is friday afternoon at 5:30. I can't be there because of work that day, but I did find out some good news!  A radio station there is broadcasting the game live and I can get it via the internet!  So, after school I'm gonna make a quick trip to Wal Mart and get home to get on the computer!!

Good Luck to Speedy!!! I can't wait to hear all about it! I hope he has a standout game.  It's nice that you have a consolation prize like the webcast of the game, since you can't get away from work.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #284 on: April 16, 2009, 10:34:27 PM »

Son's spring game is friday afternoon at 5:30. I can't be there because of work that day, but I did find out some good news!  A radio station there is broadcasting the game live and I can get it via the internet!  So, after school I'm gonna make a quick trip to Wal Mart and get home to get on the computer!!

casa that is great news !!  GO SPEEDY !!! I can't wait to hear how he does, I bet he busts loose!!

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »

Kiwi - Paulus is the PG for the Duke basketball team, coming out of high school he was recruited for both sports and he was a high school QB, he had quite a few accolades plus strong offers for football from Notre Dame and Miami. This is the article on the Duke website http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3721135

He was up meeting with Rodriguez on Tuesday........

casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #286 on: April 17, 2009, 12:03:16 AM »

Thanks Frijole, pdh and none for your kind words!  I promise to tell the truth of how son does even if it hurts! LOL  Hopefully, he will have a good game.  Of course, I understand because it is a spring game he will have limited playing as the coach needs to see all players.

I've never been a big fan of Mitch Mustain. I think he is a spoiled brat and his mom, well I won't go there.  He and my son graduated from high school in Arkansas the same year.  Both were in the Arkansas All-Star game.  My son received the Offensive Player of the game, NOT Mustain! I have a picture of him with his trophy to prove it!  My son desperately wanted to go to Univ. of Arkansas but they chose not to offer him a scholarship but did offer Mustain one.  We see how that turned out!  That sort of tore it for me with Houston Nutt and Arkansas!  I LOVE seeing my son being so successful even though some in Arkansas consider his school to be inferior.  He would have kicked butt at Arkansas also though!  I know the cuz really likes Houston Nutt and U of A but I have found it hard to forgive even though son is doing great where he is and loves it! I think it all boiled down to Mustain was from Springdale, AR who won the state championship that year and my son was from El Dorado, Ar who had a bad year with a first year new head coach even though son did great things and made All State!   I know all things happen for a reason!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2009, 08:28:50 AM »

casa your Speedy has been integral to his team and he's 'earned' all that he has had. There is no substitute for a life lesson like that. Mustain will likely not get some big ride to the NFL now and it's likely he will struggle in his future as a result, for he's not prepared for how hard it is to earn your way in this life. Speedy is and he will have a bright future.

College football recruiting is ruthless and it's been hard on NASCAR too, but he and Speedy will know the real deal and how to endure. I'm betting our boys will be just fine and heaven help Mustain in how to deal.

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #288 on: April 17, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »

None thanks for the article on Paulus. Sounds like a possibility for him and Michigan. Your message to Casa is so true. The easiest way doesn't always prepare you for the real world. In the end both young men will be stronger for it.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2009, 08:05:59 PM »

I'm in Lincoln.  Yeah.  There are 98  recruits attending our spring game tomorrow.  That should be fun.  Look for me on sports center.  I'll have on red.   
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »

Well, the scrimmage is over and son only touched the ball one time and that was on a kickoff return and he was told to do a fair catch.  They never threw a pass to him.  They did many more running plays than passing and when they did pass it was to freshmen or players I had never heard of.  Most of the passes were short ones.  Guess the coaches knew what they were doing, but I sure am glad I did not take off work to go!  I texted son to ask why they did not throw to him and his response was "Why did they not throw the ball period."  I don't think he is too happy!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »

Oh no casa!
Sometimes, football is a game that is as hard on a player's spirit as it is on his body....
Maybe the coaches already know what Speedy can do, and they wanted to see what others who are untested in a game are capable of doing under those conditions.

I also agree with none. Hard times, overcoming difficulties, and learning to persevere are the things that build character. Life is never perfect, and people need inner resources to help then get through the tough days that are a part of everyone's life. Nascar and Speedy will benefit from the things they have experienced.

I hope tomorrow's game answers a lot of questions for AU. The outcome out to be very interesting. If I had to guess, I'd say the defense has the upper hand....

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2009, 11:25:53 PM »

bean is in Lincoln !!! GO Huskers !!! Enjoy !!

casa - I am so sorry, I know I encouraged you to attend the game but it sounds like the coaches saw this game as a chance to view what the young ones can do, just as pdh posted. Your Speedy is a known quantity but I know it must have been frustrating for him. Maybe he can speak with the coaches this week to get an idea of the plans they have for him. I know when son's been frustrated I've advised him to go to the coaches and ask what he needs to improve upon - not that I think he isn't doing what he should be, but it is a good opener that isn't 'loaded' to spur a discussion. Tell Speedy we pulled for him and that we'll continue to all summer and fall !! Go Speedy !!

pdh- I hope AU has a great game and gets you excited again, remember the first we ever met was when I teased you on this thread about those Tigers !!  You have a new coach, I know you miss Tubby and I'm sure the players do, but hopefully the offense will do some special things tomorrow for you !! Go Tigers !!

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2009, 11:33:10 PM »

Oh no casa!
Sometimes, football is a game that is as hard on a player's spirit as it is on his body....
Maybe the coaches already know what Speedy can do, and they wanted to see what others who are untested in a game are capable of doing under those conditions.

I also agree with none. Hard times, overcoming difficulties, and learning to persevere are the things that build character. Life is never perfect, and people need inner resources to help then get through the tough days that are a part of everyone's life. Nascar and Speedy will benefit from the things they have experienced.

I hope tomorrow's game answers a lot of questions for AU. The outcome out to be very interesting. If I had to guess, I'd say the defense has the upper hand....

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »

pdh if it makes you feel any better they had a scrimmage on wednesday and the offensive coordinator was NOT happy.  the defense is stoked.  they did not allow a single FIRST DOWN the entire game.   part of me is excited to bring back the blackshirts of old and part of me is sceeered that our O sucks.  lol  Starting QB is supposed to be awesome.. we shall see. 

casa i don't think coaches like to show anything fancy during spring games in case its filmed or gets out to the enemies. ha.  plus your son is a known commodity i am sure by now.  my guess is they needed to work on the run game and thats what they did.   but i'm glad you didn't take off for it.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »

I might feel better beans, if we had a QB1 already.  It bothers me that Kodi Burns already has game experience, but he hasn't improved as a passer as much as he should have. I'm hoping that was a coaching failure, and that he'll blossom under the new OC.  It's probably gonna be a race between him and Neil Caudle, who has very little experience. I'm really hoping that Kodi will step up and become a leader, and refuse to let anyone replace him. I have nothing against NC. He just doesn't have the playing time, and the SEC will eat an inexperienced QB1 alive. Plus we have those O-Line issues....

Sigh.....I could sure use a $6 lemonade from Toomer's right about now....

casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »

casa your Speedy has been integral to his team and he's 'earned' all that he has had. There is no substitute for a life lesson like that. Mustain will likely not get some big ride to the NFL now and it's likely he will struggle in his future as a result, for he's not prepared for how hard it is to earn your way in this life. Speedy is and he will have a bright future.

College football recruiting is ruthless and it's been hard on NASCAR too, but he and Speedy will know the real deal and how to endure. I'm betting our boys will be just fine and heaven help Mustain in how to deal.

That is very good insight, none!  I do agree that both Speedy and NASCAR will be much better off for the life lessons they have learned!  Thanks for encouraging me!
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »

Thanks none, Frijole, and pdh3!  I think you may all be right. The coach does know what Speedy can do and I'm sure needed to look at the newbies and work on the running game.  I also don't think they wanted to get him hurt as they told him to fair catch the ball on the kickoff return.  Thanks for reminding me of these things and I will pass this on to Speedy.  I'm sure it will make him feel better!  None, I will surely tell him that y'all are pulling for him and will be next year.  He gets such a big kick out of knowing that y'all are interested in following his football career!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »

casa - We're here for Speedy and Nascar all the way!

These two young athletes work so hard, and I think everyone here agrees that they should be supported for their efforts as athletes and students. It's not an easy path they have chosen. They may have scholarships, but they did have to earn them on the field over and over. These two kids have a good work ethic, and I admire that!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #299 on: April 18, 2009, 11:55:43 PM »

Casa - Speedy obviously values his second mother a great deal and I know when he hears from you, or when you are there to listen about the frustrations, that it helps him more than you might imagine. He's going to have a great season, I just know it!

pdh - sure looks like your War Eagles had a great offensive showing, 501 yards on offense!! 

Bean- looks like your QB Lee is getting lots of praise for his performance today? See, you naysayers, you should have not doubted them! 

We arrived back just a short while ago, happy to say son won't have to eat beanie weenies for his team won, but it was hard fought. pdh - the offense sputtered a good bit, defense was strong, but our QB seemed to aim for everyone's feet today  We however have a younger QB that I felt did an outstanding job, particularly since his team had the weaker O-line but that boy hustled and scrambled well. So the coaches have to be excited about that. We had one redshirt wr that never ran the right route, but he did make two catches but we were sitting close enough to hear the OC say "son good job but by the way, we don't run that play"  It was a pretty spring day and I have to say I just enjoyed being close enough to hear and see so much more than in typical games. Son's Nana had a treat too, son won the spring award for his performance at his position. She's over 80 now so anytime she gets to see the kids do well is always meaningful.

casa, they did throw more to the younger wr's today, so it wasn't just Speedy's team, I think a lot of the coaches view this as a chance to give the redshirts some playing time.

I guess now we have that looooooong wait until the fall season starts 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.