March 28, 2024, 02:36:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256697 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1280 on: December 30, 2009, 10:59:06 PM »

Another take --- probably closer to the truth:

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2009-12-30/james-gang-helps-texas-tech-get-revenge-on-leach

Quote:
That'll teach Mike Leach to embarrass Texas Tech University during contract negotiations.

This is the definition of payback, everyone. Nearly a year after the fact.

The record will show that Leach, Tech's unorthodox yet highly successful coach, was fired Wednesday for mistreatment of a player with a "mild" concussion. The reality is Leach was fired because he took Texas Tech for everything it had last February during contract negotiations -- and made the university brass look like bumbling fools in the process.

Not that this latest human resources/relations disaster didn't just one-up everything.

This isn't about a whiny, entitled player kicking and screaming to get his way, or a whiny entitled Little League dad kicking and screaming to protect his little boopie from the mean man. The James Gang -- Adam (see: "mild" concussion) and Craig (see: Little League dad) -- have done more damage to themselves than anything Leach could have possibly done by sending Adam to timeout.

That's another story for another day -- something that will play out over and over in the legal discovery process of lengthy depositions spearheaded by two lovely attorneys making big bucks to make the wheels of justice turn. Enjoy that unlawful termination lawsuit, Tech.

Oh no, this is about jettisoning a rebel coach whose power had clearly eclipsed that of nearly everyone in the university -- especially athletic director Gerald Myers -- after last year's game of chicken during contract negotiations. A quick recap:

Leach wanted specific provisions in his restructured deal, and the university said no for nearly a year. Tech had a huge season in 2008, Leach seized public momentum and opinion, and Tech (see: Myers) still said no all the way to the 11th hour before capitulating and -- get this -- giving Leach everything he wanted and more.

This firing now is Tech's way of stating -- truth be damned -- that no one person is bigger than the university. Unless you're a backup wide receiver whose dad just happens to be a former college star and an analyst for the biggest sports conglomerate on the planet.

Look, if ESPN can't help Tech fire Leach, who can? Imagine the giddy feeling Myers must have felt when he realized, for the first time, that ESPN actually was on his side this time.

First, there were "sources" who told ESPN about Adam James' "mistreatment." Once it became known that Adam James was the player in question, those "sources" became Craig James being interviewed on SportsCenter by an anchor who threw fatter softballs than my daughter's baseball coach.

Then the story advanced over the next couple of days and took on a bigger life, despite conflicting evidence to the original stories of mistreatment and numerous emails from former players and current coaches at Tech not only backing Leach, but clearly explaining the entitled behavior of Adam James.

Instead of using due diligence by investigating all facets of the incident, Tech fired Leach a day before he was due an $800,000 retention bonus. Let's call it what it is: Texas Tech wanted to fire Leach from the moment his bosses became subservient to him when he signed his contract extension in February.

Tech simply found a way this time.

Truth be damned. 

wreck this is where I have to take issue with "takes" like this.

If anyone naively thinks some like Saban doesn't have bama by the short hairs or even Meyers has FL or Pete Carroll has USC then they need to wake up, it's just not overtly in your face as Leach did.........but each of those HC's OWNS those programs now.

He's not the only one either, there are quite a few now.

Welcome to the year 2010 Texas Tech where college football is no longer about anything but wins and the almighty dollar - just ask your own super boosters.

I continue to stand with the girl.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1281 on: December 30, 2009, 11:00:02 PM »

Bean  33 to zip in the 4th Q????

When was the last time that happened in a BCS bowl game????????

I bet you're dancing with the pups aren't ya?
If Nebraska had that kind of scoring all season --they would have been playing Alabama insread of Arizona!!

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1282 on: December 30, 2009, 11:07:57 PM »

Another take --- probably closer to the truth:

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2009-12-30/james-gang-helps-texas-tech-get-revenge-on-leach

Quote:
That'll teach Mike Leach to embarrass Texas Tech University during contract negotiations.

This is the definition of payback, everyone. Nearly a year after the fact.

The record will show that Leach, Tech's unorthodox yet highly successful coach, was fired Wednesday for mistreatment of a player with a "mild" concussion. The reality is Leach was fired because he took Texas Tech for everything it had last February during contract negotiations -- and made the university brass look like bumbling fools in the process.

Not that this latest human resources/relations disaster didn't just one-up everything.

This isn't about a whiny, entitled player kicking and screaming to get his way, or a whiny entitled Little League dad kicking and screaming to protect his little boopie from the mean man. The James Gang -- Adam (see: "mild" concussion) and Craig (see: Little League dad) -- have done more damage to themselves than anything Leach could have possibly done by sending Adam to timeout.

That's another story for another day -- something that will play out over and over in the legal discovery process of lengthy depositions spearheaded by two lovely attorneys making big bucks to make the wheels of justice turn. Enjoy that unlawful termination lawsuit, Tech.

Oh no, this is about jettisoning a rebel coach whose power had clearly eclipsed that of nearly everyone in the university -- especially athletic director Gerald Myers -- after last year's game of chicken during contract negotiations. A quick recap:

Leach wanted specific provisions in his restructured deal, and the university said no for nearly a year. Tech had a huge season in 2008, Leach seized public momentum and opinion, and Tech (see: Myers) still said no all the way to the 11th hour before capitulating and -- get this -- giving Leach everything he wanted and more.

This firing now is Tech's way of stating -- truth be damned -- that no one person is bigger than the university. Unless you're a backup wide receiver whose dad just happens to be a former college star and an analyst for the biggest sports conglomerate on the planet.

Look, if ESPN can't help Tech fire Leach, who can? Imagine the giddy feeling Myers must have felt when he realized, for the first time, that ESPN actually was on his side this time.

First, there were "sources" who told ESPN about Adam James' "mistreatment." Once it became known that Adam James was the player in question, those "sources" became Craig James being interviewed on SportsCenter by an anchor who threw fatter softballs than my daughter's baseball coach.

Then the story advanced over the next couple of days and took on a bigger life, despite conflicting evidence to the original stories of mistreatment and numerous emails from former players and current coaches at Tech not only backing Leach, but clearly explaining the entitled behavior of Adam James.

Instead of using due diligence by investigating all facets of the incident, Tech fired Leach a day before he was due an $800,000 retention bonus. Let's call it what it is: Texas Tech wanted to fire Leach from the moment his bosses became subservient to him when he signed his contract extension in February.

Tech simply found a way this time.

Truth be damned. 

wreck this is where I have to take issue with "takes" like this.

If anyone naively thinks some like Saban doesn't have bama by the short hairs or even Meyers has FL or Pete Carroll has USC then they need to wake up, it's just not overtly in your face as Leach did.........but each of those HC's OWNS those programs now.

He's not the only one either, there are quite a few now.

Welcome to the year 2010 Texas Tech where college football is no longer about anything but wins and the almighty dollar - just ask your own super boosters.

I agree -- but this same AD who got shown up by Leach is also the same AD that "arranged" for Bobby Knight to coach at TT. While I have found Leach "amusing" in the past -- the whole Tech program and their fans are the most boorish in the Big XII. I'm not trying to butter up frijole -- but Nebraska is considered the polar opposite. Oh well, another conference divison foe is now taken about 10 steps backwards --- good for us!!!

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1283 on: December 30, 2009, 11:37:46 PM »

Beans buyin tonight! Too bad it was so close!

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1284 on: December 31, 2009, 12:06:52 AM »

Didn't you just love Bo's speech after? Very humble !!

I continue to stand with the girl.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1285 on: December 31, 2009, 12:09:45 AM »

Bean  33 to zip in the 4th Q????

When was the last time that happened in a BCS bowl game????????

I bet you're dancing with the pups aren't ya?
If Nebraska had that kind of scoring all season --they would have been playing Alabama insread of Arizona!!

Wreck you are right and that is why I was so upset with the O.. although it is obvious injuries played a huge part because they had 4 weeks to heal.  Dang I wish we had beat TX though! ha.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1286 on: December 31, 2009, 12:15:47 AM »

Didn't you just love Bo's speech after? Very humble !!

I missed the speech!  I was at my mom's with family and drove home..listened on radio but didn't hear that!!!  Will have to watch it on internet!  I have to get up real early.. inventory tomorrow. 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1287 on: December 31, 2009, 12:23:11 AM »

Yes Kiwi rounds all night are on me!!!  I am soooooooo happy.  It isn't just the win... its the WAY we won.  We fell from grace into 10 years of hell and it has been a long time since we had this much to cheer about.  I am going to savor this win for a long time.  And the fact that the entire team played well - not just the D.  But isnt that one SICK D?  Pelini swears we will be much better on D next year!  I sure hope so. ha. 

This was the first shut out in NU bowl history!  Bo just tied Osborne as the only NU coach to win the first 3 bowl games.  (Bo was interim head coach in 03)  All kinds of records tonight... can't wait to read about it all tomorrow.

So who plays next?  Good luck all!  I gotta go to bed dang it!  Thanks for cheering us on... I am sure it helped!
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1288 on: December 31, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »

Today's latest.......

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Current-Raiders-flee-from-Leach-s-corner-as-Texa;_ylt=AlEC_Pab53plZThclO9eJNQcvrYF?urn=ncaaf,211273

Current Raiders flee from Leach's corner as Texas Tech saga heats up
By Matt Hinton

For a while there, it looked like now-former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach didn't have any enemies in Lubbock outside of his old foils in the administration building, who jumped on the opportunity to remove a thorn in their side when Leach was accused of sequestering a concussed player in a shed. Leach's suspension on Monday brought a round of staunch support from former players, who characterized the player in question, wide receiver Adam James, as "soft and somewhat of a prima donna." James' former position coach at Tech, current Houston offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen, wrote an e-mail on Leach's behalf during the university's investigation that painted James as "lazy" and claimed Leach was the only coach on the staff who thought James was worth a scholarship as a recruit. Angry Tech fans reacted to Leach's firing today by vaguely threatening boycotts, bombarding the local newspaper in support of Leach and filling up message boards and comment threads with histrionic comments against the administration.

For two days after the story broke Monday afternoon, Leach's only major public critic -- by default -- was Adam James' father, ex-SMU star and ESPN analyst Craig James, who filed the initially complaint to the university. And even he didn't mention Leach by name in his comments on the incident Tuesday night.

Today, though, the Leach lovefest emphatically ended, in the most unlikely place: From his own team. When the media ban was lifted on current Raider players during their Alamo Bowl preparations in San Antonio, a few team spokesmen opened up with both barrels:

Defensive tackle Chris Perry, to ESPN: "I have no complaints about this decision. [Leach] put Adam [James] in a shed like an animal. Like an animal in a cage. That was bull. You call other players. I think it was a good decision. We have our pep back now. We practice hard this week. We had less stress this week. You know why? Because he's gone." (Emphasis added)

Wide receiver Tramain Swindall, to the Associated Press: "I'm supporting Adam and what he’s doing because it’s the right thing to do. And so do most of the players. It wasn’t just about Adam. It was always a negative vibe."

Cornerback Taylor Charbonnet, to ESPN: "The players make this team, not one coach. As Adam's friend, I didn't like it at all what [Leach] did. He was my brother and I didn't agree with it. I don't know why [Leach] did that. But I know we our fully behind [interim] coach Ruffin [McNeil]. We love him and support him."

Charbonnet's older brother, former Tech safety Daniel Charbonnet, updated his Facebook status to the same effect this afternoon: "For everyone who wants to know what happen [sic], you probably never will. The only thing you should know is Coach Leach and Coach Leach alone is responsible for this. I wish it wasn't like this." Combine that with the frustration on the team in September -- when veterans Marlon Williams and Brandon Carter used their Twitter accounts to vent over the team's 2-2 start and call out Leach for showing up late to a team meeting after back-to-back losses to Texas and Houston -- and it's not hard to piece together a much rougher year behind the scenes than we saw on the surface.

And if you add to that Leach's statement to the media, in which he accuses "individuals in the Texas Tech administration, Board of Regents and booster groups who have dealt in lies" of plotting his demise for months after last year's contentious contract negotiations, it's not hard to envision something like a powder keg waiting to blow. If so, the unraveling of the last year in Leach's inevitable lawsuit seems destined to become the most interesting recurring soap opera of the offseason.

thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1289 on: December 31, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »

congrats frijole.....you and your huskers deserve to enjoy that win!!!
you too....GO!!!
arkansas has been thru this stuff....when nolan richardson sued the university for wrongful termination....it is not fun!
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1290 on: December 31, 2009, 10:54:20 PM »

Wreck I believe you said that the Leach ordeal started long before the "Shed-gate" incident.. Here is an article from Houston that offers a little more insight.. pretty juicy stuff!  There are links in it to emails and faxes sent by a major donor giving instructions during the contract negotiation in late 08 and early 09... if you have some time... its interesting.  Plus this guy agrees that this was a marriage gone sour long ago.... enjoy!

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/12/mike_leach_espn_tech.php
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1291 on: December 31, 2009, 10:59:12 PM »

Wow... found out this a.m. that our QB had an undisclosed injury - a torn tendon in his throwing arm that happened the game before the VA Tech game.  Surgery next week.  2nd stringer was out with torn ACL and 3rd stringer is the true freshman you saw last night....  I feel awful for every bad thought I had about the kid now.... Just goes to show we don't always know whats going on with these kids.  He played in pain and kept his mouth shut while we all laughed at him. 

Missouri got beat by Navy.  LOL

Va Tech beats TN

Happy New Years all!!!!!!
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1292 on: January 01, 2010, 04:29:38 AM »

As the dust settles............ you know what????? I don't care what shakes out in the TT affair. They are all morons and my school is better off for their actions!!!!!!!!!! 

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1293 on: January 01, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »

Happy New Year... May it grow up to bring you lots of "W's"

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1294 on: January 01, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »

Go Auburn!  WDE

Did you see that 100 yd defensive TD.  I am predicting a blow out.  Congrats PDH!

Kiwi, do you cheer for TOSU or Oregon?  LOL

Think there will be much drama at the Cinn vs FL game?

On deck and preparing for tomorrow are Cuz, None and Wreck.  None... hope you are enjoying your trip so far!!  Nascar enjoy all the festivities.
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1295 on: January 01, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »

November 1, 2008
What are the college football graduation rates?

The latest installment of the NCAA's Graduation Success Rate reports have been released for 2008.

The Graduation Success Rate measures how many players earned a four-year degree within a six-year window, accounting for both transfers into the footabll program as well as transfers out of the football program.

So how do the BCS schools stack up against one another? I'm glad you asked

1. Notre Dame 94%
2. Stanford 93
T3. BC 92
T3. Duke 92
T3. Northwestern 92
6. Vanderbilt 91
7. Wake Forest 83
8. Texas Tech 79
T9. Baylor 78
T9. Nebraska 78
T9. UNC 78
T9. Penn State 78
T13. UConn 77
T13. Indiana 77
T15. Colorado 75
T15. Iowa 75
T15. Syracuse 75
T15. Virginia Tech 75
19. Cincinnati 73
T20. Illinois 70
T20. Michigan 70
T20. Miami 70
T20. Rutgers 70
24. Florida State 69
T25. Clemson 68
T25. Florida 68
T25. Maryland 68
T25. Wash State 68

Times are changin,oh are times a changin..............

You could shut down every college football program for one form of abuse or another.It could be verbal,physical,mental,or what have you.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1296 on: January 01, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »

LINK FOR THE ABOVE ARTICLE

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/007839.php

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1297 on: January 01, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »

keep the faith...you are so right!
makes SEC look really bad in this category....except Vanderbilt of course!
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1298 on: January 01, 2010, 02:32:18 PM »

November 1, 2008
What are the college football graduation rates?

The latest installment of the NCAA's Graduation Success Rate reports have been released for 2008.

The Graduation Success Rate measures how many players earned a four-year degree within a six-year window, accounting for both transfers into the footabll program as well as transfers out of the football program.

So how do the BCS schools stack up against one another? I'm glad you asked

1. Notre Dame 94%
2. Stanford 93
T3. BC 92
T3. Duke 92
T3. Northwestern 92
6. Vanderbilt 91
7. Wake Forest 83
8. Texas Tech 79
T9. Baylor 78
T9. Nebraska 78
T9. UNC 78
T9. Penn State 78
T13. UConn 77
T13. Indiana 77
T15. Colorado 75
T15. Iowa 75
T15. Syracuse 75
T15. Virginia Tech 75
19. Cincinnati 73
T20. Illinois 70
T20. Michigan 70
T20. Miami 70
T20. Rutgers 70
24. Florida State 69
T25. Clemson 68
T25. Florida 68
T25. Maryland 68
T25. Wash State 68

Times are changin,oh are times a changin..............

You could shut down every college football program for one form of abuse or another.It could be verbal,physical,mental,or what have you.

What do  graduation rates have to do with college football????  Monkey Devil!   

Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1299 on: January 01, 2010, 02:33:57 PM »

keep the faith...you are so right!
makes SEC look really bad in this category....except Vanderbilt of course!

My Washington Huskies are a bit down there as well...36th 

MOHANDAS GANDHI
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.