March 28, 2024, 02:35:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256696 times)
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1760 on: May 18, 2010, 01:46:40 AM »

Keepthefaith, pdh3 and 14 Guests

SPORTS FANS?

Please do come outta the rafters!

I dare ya! I double Dawg dare ya! Monkey Devil!

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1761 on: May 18, 2010, 04:32:42 PM »

FSU should've made Bobby Bowden retire 10 years ago. He was still doing things the old way. That's what got him in trouble. He's a nice man, but he never was able to modernize the program and keep up with the changes. 30 year ago that's how they got good athletes into college, but now it's not overlooked the way it was back then.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1762 on: May 19, 2010, 11:41:48 AM »

I think the "Mega" expansion is falling apart.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5199145&campaign=rss&source=NCBHeadlines

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100519_202_B1_ANYONE178350

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1763 on: May 19, 2010, 02:15:55 PM »

I don't think it is falling apart.  I think it was too obvious what they were doing so Delany threw a curveball to get people going in a different direction. 

I am reading that they are holding off for either ND or TX or both.  ND supposedly has said they will come on board if NU and TX do.  There are numerous sources saying the same thing.  Lots of details to the requirements being discussed.  Just saying what I'm reading. 

And I think they'll drag it on as long as they think they have a shot of adding either team or both.  And yes i know about the Tx/A&M partnership but that supposedly is being dealt with.

So who knows?!  Only Delany and a few cronies.  Monkey Devil!
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1764 on: May 19, 2010, 05:31:55 PM »

I don't think it is falling apart.  I think it was too obvious what they were doing so Delany threw a curveball to get people going in a different direction. 

I am reading that they are holding off for either ND or TX or both.  ND supposedly has said they will come on board if NU and TX do.  There are numerous sources saying the same thing.  Lots of details to the requirements being discussed.  Just saying what I'm reading. 

And I think they'll drag it on as long as they think they have a shot of adding either team or both.  And yes i know about the Tx/A&M partnership but that supposedly is being dealt with.

The Big 10's population base is crumbling (rust belt). While NU does have a great program and reputation -- it does nothing to help their TV package -- just one more share to equally divide. Texas will NOT go to the Big 10 -- it does nothing to help them. I see Texas going independent (like ND) before that. I also think they would go SEC or Pac-10 before Big 10. I've said all along that Texas holds the key. They are reiterating their commitment to the Big XII (as of this past weekend). I think they are still going to wield the most power, but the Big XII- Pac-10 Alliance is going to be the glue that keeps the Big XII together.
--JMO

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1765 on: May 19, 2010, 05:34:30 PM »

That is not to say that Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado still might bolt!!

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1766 on: May 19, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »

One more thing ............ I firmly believe that if the Big 10 goes to at least 14 teams, the Rose Bowl will drop them and there will be a PAC-10 Vs Big XII match up instead. This will part of the "Alliance's" TV deal.

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1767 on: May 19, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »

Texas to the Big 10 WITHOUT the big rivalry games (OU and A&M)????????????????? That ain't going to happen either. No one gives a damn in Texas about rivalries with Michigan or Ohio State.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1768 on: May 19, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »

The Big 10's population base is crumbling (rust belt). While NU does have a great program and reputation -- it does nothing to help their TV package -- just one more share to equally divide. Texas will NOT go to the Big 10 -- it does nothing to help them. I see Texas going independent (like ND) before that. I also think they would go SEC or Pac-10 before Big 10. I've said all along that Texas holds the key. They are reiterating their commitment to the Big XII (as of this past weekend). I think they are still going to wield the most power, but the Big XII- Pac-10 Alliance is going to be the glue that keeps the Big XII together.
--JMO

Wreck - I'll have to find the stats that someone from the Big 10 put together... it showed the $ each school was projected to bring in.. not just about population and TV sets it incorporated the viewership, ad dollars etc.  TX was #1 but if I recall correctly NU came in above ND.  If I find it again I will link it.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1769 on: May 19, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »

I read this several days ago and the story hasn't died.  It has grown.  I am hoping the LINK to the article that set off Delany shows up in my copy/paste job.

The Big Ten office

On a message board called the Wildcat Report on May 8, 2010, a poster put a message up. He claimed to have been with someone from the Big Ten office who gave him information on the expansion efforts.

Not a big deal, people go on message boards all the time and say things. What made this a big deal was the reaction of Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany. According to my source that works at the Big Ten who spoke to Spartan Nation on the condition of anonymity because of Delany’s comments in this meeting, “The Commissioner was livid. He called a staff meeting for the office and that isn’t normal at all. In fact, it is a rare thing. He likes to meet in small groups if he meets at all. He cited this post and said if he found out who it was he would fire the person for talking or anyone else for speaking. All of us walked out and wanted to read the post because as angry as he was it had to hit home. One of my coworkers even said to me 15 seconds after we left the room, I can’t wait to read it.” The source went on to add, “There has been so much S***(fecal matter) thrown around about expansion and he didn’t really get to fired up until this. This one hit home. Clearly, Notre Dame and Texas are in play.” I have hence heard about the Delany meeting from three other sources with knowledge of it, and all of their accounts match the above.

Here is the thread that set the commissioner off.

I just had a few beers tonight with a friend who works for the Big Ten here in Chicago. According to him, the Big Ten has focused their efforts on and is getting hot with three schools: Notre Dame, Texas, and Nebraska.

A few things stood out about what he told me. First, contrary to my understanding of the benefits of expansion, the Big Ten is NOT pursuing a playoff system in football. Instead of a playoff, the football teams would all be required to add an additional one or two out of conference game, which would push the regular season back one week or two. The Big Ten wants to maintain the end of season rivalry games at the end of the football season as opposed to adding a playoff.

Second, the Big Ten, Texas and Notre Dame are discussing a special rule to accommodate both of those schools. Instead of playing 8 games, both Texas and ND would play 7 to enable each school to play 6 out of conference games. That's apparently the caveat that brought both to the table, and Texas and ND also want to play each other every year. The tradeoff is that an 8-0 Big Ten team would always trump a 7-0 ND/Texas as conference champion, which is a potential logistical sticking point for the Big Ten and these teams. But apparently ND and Texas value the extra OOC game more than the conference championship potential, and ND and Texas want to play each other every year making the tie between two 7-0 teams impossible. They're also looking at potentially giving a automatic BCS slot for a 7-0 ND/Texas Big Ten team that loses the conference championship to an 8-0 team as a carrot, where the 8-0 team could still get the at-large but isn't guaranteed.

Finally, the Big East is essentially pushing ND to discussions with the Big Ten. The Big East has presented an ultimatum to ND to play football or get out of the conference for the other sports in order to protect the integrity of the remainder of the conference. Apparently discussions have taken place between the Big Ten and the Big East, and the current understanding is that the Big Ten will not accept any other Big East schools if ND joins the Big Ten. ND also will retain a national schedule, particularly with Texas joining, where it would have the ability to schedule 6 OOC games plus one game with Texas. This means they're picking up only three additional games with Big Ten schools while playing in the conference.

LINK
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1770 on: May 19, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »

Here is a link to the story referenced above

http://spartannation.com/?p=12002
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1771 on: May 19, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »

I have seen this reported from multiple locations including some from TX.  Tom Dienhart has twitted about it fwiw

http://twitter.com/TomDienhart
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1772 on: May 19, 2010, 08:17:14 PM »

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/the-value-of-expansion-candidates-to-the-big-ten-network/

Here is the info compiled by some television guy regarding what several schools would bring in terms of revenue. 
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1773 on: May 19, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »

I'm not sure the SEC really wants TX. Too much competition for recruiting. It's a bloodbath as it is. Plus...TX is used to being the Big Dawg...not gonna get that in the SEC. I can't see that as a very good fit.

From what I've heard, the SEC is looking at schools like FSU, Clemson, NC, VTech, GTech, Louisville, or Miami.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1774 on: May 19, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »

I think it is a lot of wishful thinking on Big 10 fans' parts -- I'm still not buying it one bit.  Texas would go Independent before joining the Big 10. They can take their TV money anywhere -- why go to a conference where the logistics for non-football sports make absolutely no sense and where Texas parents won't be able to watch their kids in most all away games.

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1775 on: May 19, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »

Notre Dame to the Big 10 makes sense. It gives them 12 teams (enabling them to have a Conference Championship) AND adds a TV partner that carries it weight. I'm sorry, Nebraska has rabid fans that will tune in -- but the #'s just aren't there. Where do most Nebraska alums migrate to? I'm guessing that it is to markets that are already Big 10 markets or cities such as Kansas City or St. Louis. Nebraska would not be reason the Big 10 would pick up those markets.

I tried to explain before............. The Big 10 network gets the vast majority of it's revenue by getting entire cable systems or Satellite systems to carry their network. They get $1/month for EACH subscriber in the entire market. That is why the Big 12 would not add a "TCU" --- they already OWN the DFW market. TCU would add no value. Now, I get it that a Texas - Oklahoma game brings in more actual viewers that will increase advertising dollars -- but, that is secondary to the # of TV households in a market that contribute $12/year for every cable subscriber!

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1776 on: May 19, 2010, 11:15:53 PM »

Here is a link to the story referenced above

http://spartannation.com/?p=12002
Here is "part 4" - it expalins the TV market issue like I explained above:

http://spartannation.com/?p=12022

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1777 on: May 20, 2010, 07:18:53 AM »

I think it is a lot of wishful thinking on Big 10 fans' parts -- I'm still not buying it one bit.  Texas would go Independent before joining the Big 10. They can take their TV money anywhere -- why go to a conference where the logistics for non-football sports make absolutely no sense and where Texas parents won't be able to watch their kids in most all away games.
You are right, TX can do whatever they want.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1778 on: June 03, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »

You guys read this yet?  I saw it earlier today.. Lincoln sports reporter saying it appears to be true... Holy cow.  6 Big 12 teams going to the Pac 10?  Whew.

Link below
http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/bohn_pac10_set_to_make_invites.html

Bohn: Pac-10 set to make invites
Posted by: Steve Sipple on June 3, 2010 at 7:08PM CST
OK, it appears the Big 12 could be breaking up before our eyes.

It's a feeling I get down here in Kansas City. But really, it's becoming more than a gut feeling ...

Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn told The Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera on Thursday he and other school officials have been led to believe the Pac-10 Conference is on the verge of issuing invitations to six members of the Big 12 to join its ranks.

Bohn told the Camera that CU has not had any contact with the Pac-10 or its representatives and he was not clear on how he came to believe invitations could be forthcoming. But he said Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech could receive invitations possibly as soon as this weekend when Pac-10 officials meet in San Francisco, the newspaper reporter.

"The longer that we were together in Kansas City it appeared that that rumor or speculation did have some validity to it," Bohn said in an interview with the Camera as he left the Big 12 spring meetings.

So, it appears the Orangebloods.com report has legs.

Here's the rest of Daily Camera report. You'll notice that Bohn tempers his above comments just a tad.

Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1779 on: June 04, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »

The Pac-16 would yield some serious POWER!

KEEPTHEFAITH

I WILL...

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.