March 28, 2024, 02:34:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256600 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »

oh BOC, son's roomie's younger brother just signed a LOI for your neice's university in SC, just thought you'd like to know that 

I continue to stand with the girl.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »

GO should we chip in for a snow blower for you?

pdh I am worried, please email me or post so we'll know you're okay!

kiwi - thank you, I really appreciate all the support from the monkey uncles and aunts as does son

A friend at work who is a manic Tebow fan pinged this link to me a short while ago, don't have time to read it in detail due to work but skimmed it and wanted to post it for others, it looks interesting. Leave it to Tebow to change the complexion of the NFL....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/tim_layden/01/13/tebow/index.html?bcnn=yes

Tim Layden > INSIDE THE NFL

The Tebow experiment is inevitable

Nice of Tim Tebow to end the suspense early. But the debate on his future will continue unabated, and not just on blog posts and sports talk radio.

This debate has nothing to do with his place in college football history or fast-tracking his path to sainthood. Without taking another snap for the Gators, Tebow is already on the short list of the best to play the college game.

The commentary on his impeccable character is tiresome, but Tebow has already won a Heisman Trophy and two national championships. (If not for some very sketchy voting patterns this year, he would have two Heismans.) He could leave Gainesville next spring with two statues and three national titles, which would be unprecedented. I have no idea if he is a better college player than Doc Blanchard, but he's in the team picture.

Yet there is a far more intriguing argument on the table: Where does Tebow fit in the NFL? Does he fit in the NFL at all? I won't pretend to know the answer but I can guarantee there is no shortage of NFL executives and coaches dying to find out. And anybody who dismisses Tebow on the grounds he's just another college athlete who can't play the NFL game is on a different page from the people who will decide his football future.

In November I wrote a story about the re-emergence of single wing-based formations and plays -- a.k.a. the "Wildcat'' -- in the NFL and college football. Tebow's name kept coming up, and without provocation. Example: When I spoke with Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator (and former Miami Dolphins head coach) Cam Cameron, he was talking about playing in the NFL with a full-time single wing-style quarterback. He expressed skepticism and then added, "Maybe Tebow can do it.''

I hadn't asked him about Tebow. But he mentioned Tebow just the same. Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, who has been a head coach in both the NFL (Dallas Cowboys) and college (Georgia Tech), did the same thing. And so did Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, who introduced Tebow into our interview by saying, "Tebow, obviously, is a special one.''

The NFL is fascinated with Tebow because he represents a potential evolutionary step in offensive professional football. (Emphasis here on potential because it's all a guessing game at this point.)

Belichick says, "To win in the NFL you have to be able to throw the ball.'' And that is unquestioned. However, the complexity and athleticism of NFL defenses challenge the passing game in such ways that smart offensive minds are constantly trying to find a means to make the quarterback a more effective and dangerous player. They all would love to find a quarterback who is a threat to pass or run on every snap. All of them.

The option game has been a staple of college football for decades, whether in the Oklahoma T-formation under Bud Wilkinson in the 1950s or the Texas and Oklahoma wishbones in the 70s or the Vince Young/Pat White zone-read option in this decade. Yet the option has never translated to the NFL on the theory that professional defenses are too fast and too physical. Option reads would be ineffective because NFL players would overwhelm it with speed. And the quarterback would get mauled.

Slowly, however, rigid old rules are loosening. There is no movement afoot to install the Air Force flexbone in the NFL, but there is absolutely an interest in using option principles to complicate defensive preparation. "Somebody, someday is going to run the option in the NFL,'' says Gailey, "and when that happens, all bets are off.''

For now, the goal is more modest. Gradually, over the past several seasons -- culminating in the Miami Wildcat -- NFL teams have experimented with direct snaps to a single wing-style tailback. (With the Dolphins, that was Ronnie Brown). This forces the defense to account for an extra player as a potential ballcarrier and reduces the number of bodies they can commit to the box.

If that player is a threat to pass, the game is fundamentally changed.

Michael Vick proved himself a dangerous runner in the NFL. But he was never a consistently accurate thrower. Likewise Vince Young, albeit with a lesser body of work. Long before either of them, Randall Cunningham was an effective thrower and a dangerous scrambler, but with few designed running plays. The truth is the NFL has never had a player who can consistently threaten defenses equally with his arm and his feet. And the NFL collectively wonders if Tebow is that guy.

As I quoted Belichick in the Dec. 1 issue of Sports Illustrated, "It's going to be very interesting to see what happens when Tebow comes into this league. There aren't many players who can run and throw.''

Yet at lower levels of the game, dual-threat quarterbacks are becoming the norm. In youth and high school games, teams are running spread offenses with zone reads and quarterback off-tackle runs. It's remarkable that Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan were so successful in the NFL as rookies this year, and they are both traditional pocket quarterbacks in the mold of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. But as Belichick says, "There's a lot of interest in what you could do with a real athlete back there, like an Elway, with his ability to run the ball.''

Said Gailey in SI, "Over the next 10 or 15 years, it's going to evolve because the runner-thrower is the kind of quarterback the college game is producing now.''

Tebow is the prototype of that quarterback. At 6-foot-2½, 238 pounds, he is big, strong and relatively fast. (Not Vick fast, but not Manning slow, either). He has the girth and toughness to withstand hits, although probably not a full season's worth of NFL hits. ("Look at how short the careers are for running backs in the NFL,'' says Belichick.). As a passer, Tebow is no Ryan, but he is a far more accurate thrower than Vick or Young.

The challenge for NFL thinkers is how best to use Tebow. Can he be a full-time quarterback? (Not likely, unless he is re-made as a pocket passer). How many times can he carry the ball, making himself a threat without getting, as Belichick says, "broken in half?'' (Maybe 10 times a week? Maybe only five?). Can an NFL offense function effectively with two quarterbacks. Say, Tyler Thigpen for 40 snaps and Tim Tebow for 20? What would this do to your salary structure? Is a Super Bowl worth paying two quarterbacks NFL-starter money?

No answers here. Not yet. But know this: The questions are being asked by the people who write the checks. The Tebow Experiment is forestalled for a year, but it will absolutely take place.

Interesting take on Tebow.  It will be just like anyone else entering the NFL.  Some can make the transition and some can not.  He is enough of an athlete that I am sure enough teams would be willing to take a chance.  It will all depend upon the system a team is running.

I have a snow blower, but because I have the next door neighbors driveway just eight feet from mine to the south it is almost impossible to keep blowing the snow that way without putting in his drive way.  The problem is that the wind almost always comes out of the north so if I blow the snow that way it just comes back into my face.  It warmed up to 5℉ and that just meant more snow.  The wind chill is still around -20℉

Tonight the temperature will drop so no snow for tomorrow, but Wednesday it is suppose to get above zero again so more snow predicted.  It is always interesting to see visitors come to town from warmer climates.  Today was sunny and not a cloud in the sky.  Looks great until you step outside and experience a -20℉

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »

dang it....ark just lost another coach to south carolina!!! what is spurriers deal ....this is 2 years in a row he has come in and stolen a coach. last year it was our defensive coordinator(who is being demoted i guess this year)this year it is our secondary coach who is going to be sc dc now. so you can't blame the guy...it is a move up...just kind of sad for the players who want to play under a coach more than 1 year!
nobody has said anything about saban being named coach of the year?
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2009, 11:19:03 PM »

GO, I don't know how you do it. I just could not handle that frozen tundra nor having my face freeze like a block of ice each time I step outside. You are a pioneer in my book!

I actually like the idea that Tebow might be a catalyst for a change in offenses in the NFL, what a legacy he's already going to have and with his clean living persona I think it can only help promote this to players in the NFL. College football needs more players willing to stand up and be counted for doing the right thing and he's so talented it demands respect.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2009, 11:22:22 PM »

dang it....ark just lost another coach to south carolina!!! what is spurriers deal ....this is 2 years in a row he has come in and stolen a coach. last year it was our defensive coordinator(who is being demoted i guess this year)this year it is our secondary coach who is going to be sc dc now. so you can't blame the guy...it is a move up...just kind of sad for the players who want to play under a coach more than 1 year!
nobody has said anything about saban being named coach of the year?

Honestly I had not heard Saban was coach of the year........but no comment even so 

Cuz, Spurrier needs help badly so it's a testament to your coach that he went after him. I think players cannot count on coaches or anything they promise, not anymore. Son and I have discussed this as recently as last weekend and it's the name of the game in coaching now. Somehow you survive.........all that these young players can do. I agree it's a negative impact for the players and the program with all the turnover.

So any word on who you might get to replace him? I hope you're pleasantly surprised........and hire someone great !

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2009, 11:26:02 PM »

Ahhh cuz I see now, AP Coach of the year. Yep, he got that before he lost to Utah  hopefully it helped to take some of the sting away. Here's a quote that I think is a goody.....

"Bama, when the team is on, is just that good. It’s up to the Coach of the Year to make sure they are ready to play."

http://www.intentionalfoul.com/college-football/nick-saban-coach-year/

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:50 PM »

A friend at work sent me this, one of these coaches is a football position coach too? 

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9074502/2-college-coaches-fall-out-window-after-wrestling?MSNHPHMA

casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »

none, it would be great if Speedy and NASCAR could meet!  They would have funny talking football, I'm sure! LOL
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »

GO, I don't know how you do it. I just could not handle that frozen tundra nor having my face freeze like a block of ice each time I step outside. You are a pioneer in my book!

I actually like the idea that Tebow might be a catalyst for a change in offenses in the NFL, what a legacy he's already going to have and with his clean living persona I think it can only help promote this to players in the NFL. College football needs more players willing to stand up and be counted for doing the right thing and he's so talented it demands respect.

Hopefully, he will be an asset and not change.  So much money to those who are young can change them.  They begin to believe the press clippings.  Life in the NFL is very short for most.

6 more weeks of winter for me.  We are near at -20+ with a wind chill approaching -45 to -50.  It is really the wind chill you need to worry about since that will freeze the skin solid in a matter of minutes.  Can't wait for Puerto Vallarta two week vacation and 85 degrees.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2009, 01:14:27 PM »

Hi Casa - yes it would be great if they could meet, surely they sound like a good pair and they would have much to discuss !!

GO - I saw someone on one of the news channels at 6am this  morning demonstrating how you can freeze a banana up your way and then use it as a hammer?? 

Tebow grew up in various foreign countries, his parents are missionaries and he was one of five children. I do think that he could be transitioned into some form of multi-skills player in the NFL with his run/pass capabilities. Just might be interesting to see how it evolves. I also think his first goal is to use some of the funds for charity as well? At least he's stated that goal.

Did any of you see the presser with Pete Carroll and his QB Sanchez? YIKES, no love lost there since that boy's choosing to go to the NFL.

I did hear from PDH and she's doing okay, just trying to rebound from the loss of her mother and big work demands. I let her know we miss her and her football expertise !! She will be back in time for the pre-season rankings, I'm sure of it!

Back to work for me.......boy so glad it's Friday !!!

GO this is for you buddy !

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »

I had never heard of him before this year -- but I was impressed with his priorities. Hubby tells me not only is he completing his senior year (pre med), but won't play ball his senior year. Guess he wants to have a good 'plan b' if his football career does not take off as planned.

Remember -- Karin Jannsen was once woman of the year. Don't take it too seriously. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/11/22/staples.rolle.rhodes.scholar/index.html

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2009, 06:36:09 PM »

I'm glad to here Pdh is doing better. Its been kinda hot here around 80 deg. Sundays playoff game is expected to be 75 deg maybe with the roof off.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »

I'm glad to here Pdh is doing better. Its been kinda hot here around 80 deg. Sundays playoff game is expected to be 75 deg maybe with the roof off.

Kiwi... as a former "Meech-e-gander" you know how talk of 80 deg weather kills us up north. 
You're killing me!  I was all excited because we might have a day or two of 40 next week.. before the next snow storm.. awful winter.

You going to the game?  I read a former Husker was doing well there...can't remember who...I'm awful at the pro game.  I'd never get anything done if I followed it...for real.

I also am relieved.. very.. to hear that PDH is OK... was worried... Hopefully she'll be back for spring game talk latest. 

Cuz, hope Petrino can fill the position with a good coach... lots of shuffling going around lately.
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »

Oh I remember sub zero temps. This is better except when its 115.
Hey Arizona is going to the Super Bowl! Had the best seats here in Kiwi's Dawg House.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2009, 09:53:52 AM »

Kiwi... as a former "Meech-e-gander" you know how talk of 80 deg weather kills us up north. 
You're killing me!  I was all excited because we might have a day or two of 40 next week.. before the next snow storm.. awful winter.

You going to the game?  I read a former Husker was doing well there...can't remember who...I'm awful at the pro game.  I'd never get anything done if I followed it...for real.

I also am relieved.. very.. to hear that PDH is OK... was worried... Hopefully she'll be back for spring game talk latest. 

Cuz, hope Petrino can fill the position with a good coach... lots of shuffling going around lately.

already filled......john smith last coaching job head coach at michigan state 2006...petrino worked under him at utah state and this guy was head coach at louiseville before taking the michigan state job then petrino got the louiseville job! so...sounds like some experience there.

so....cardinals vs steelers.....guess i will go with the underdog and a team who has never won the superbowl....go cards!
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »

Guess I really don't care who wins the superbowl as none of the teams I root for are in it.  Guess I could say I will pull for the Steelers as Terry Bradshaw was their quarterback and he was the quarterback at La Tech!  That is a stetch haha!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »

Hi Cuz-

It sounds like you have a good one then, honestly I'm relieved all the coaching carousel seems to be a little more subdued now post the season. It's funny too, when I talked with son and his teammates about it, these kids are pretty accepting of it? They go "whatever" so perhaps they too are getting immune to it? Bound to happen so why worry about it? Have to wonder.....he's enjoying only having conditioning now and called last night to brag about the enchilada casserole he 'invented' last night 

I haven't thought about the Super Bowl or who to pull for but cuz, I think I'll go with your team so Go Cards !! 

We had snow this week GO, I thought of you !!

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2009, 03:56:59 PM »

Hi Cuz-

It sounds like you have a good one then, honestly I'm relieved all the coaching carousel seems to be a little more subdued now post the season. It's funny too, when I talked with son and his teammates about it, these kids are pretty accepting of it? They go "whatever" so perhaps they too are getting immune to it? Bound to happen so why worry about it? Have to wonder.....he's enjoying only having conditioning now and called last night to brag about the enchilada casserole he 'invented' last night 

I haven't thought about the Super Bowl or who to pull for but cuz, I think I'll go with your team so Go Cards !! 

We had snow this week GO, I thought of you !!

Glad we could share!!!

I just got the roof cleared again.  It took four and a half hours just to drag all that snow down.  The entire back and one side had gotten to debts of 2-4 feet and some of it had frozen solid because of an ice storm we had a month ago.  Tonight it is back down below zero for us.

casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2009, 08:56:35 PM »

Hey none.  How is your son doing in offseason?  Guess he is busy working out and getting ready for next fall.  My son says he is trying to gain back the weight he lost.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2009, 05:12:19 PM »

GO, I had to admit all of that snow was gone in two days time, were you up on the roof getting that snow off? If so then YIKES !! I've finally given up cleaning my own gutters since I just know I'll fall. KEEP WARM BUDDY !

casa- actually son surprised me and came home on Friday night, he's enjoying the break honestly, I think he was pretty worn out. He's lost weight too, they always do when they aren't working out in the weight room so he's enjoying eating like a pig and he actually likes work-out's with the weights. The OC told him they probably will keep him on the field nearly all of each game next fall so son said he's got to be sure he's in top condition or he will pass out 

How's Speedy casa? I hope he's having a good break from all the demand too, and gaining some weight back ! At least the eating part is enjoyable for them !!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.