March 28, 2024, 03:21:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256607 times)
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2009, 10:57:29 PM »

I am so glad to hear that the coach said your son would be on the field so much next year.  Has got to be exciting for him and you as well!  What a great surprise when he came home to spend time with you. They don't seem to get to come home too much!  When Speedy comes home to visit his real mom he usually makes time to run by and visit with me!

Son is working out again and I am sure he is loving the eating part!  I gave him a Denney's gift card for Christmas as well as a bunch of skittles!  He loves them! haha  He even went to the high school here and worked out a few times over the Christmas break.  Football will be back before we know it!
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2009, 11:11:05 PM »

GO, I had to admit all of that snow was gone in two days time, were you up on the roof getting that snow off? If so then YIKES !! I've finally given up cleaning my own gutters since I just know I'll fall. KEEP WARM BUDDY !

casa- actually son surprised me and came home on Friday night, he's enjoying the break honestly, I think he was pretty worn out. He's lost weight too, they always do when they aren't working out in the weight room so he's enjoying eating like a pig and he actually likes work-out's with the weights. The OC told him they probably will keep him on the field nearly all of each game next fall so son said he's got to be sure he's in top condition or he will pass out 

How's Speedy casa? I hope he's having a good break from all the demand too, and gaining some weight back ! At least the eating part is enjoyable for them !!

no way do we get up on the roof.  There is an item called a snow rake.  it is a fiber glass wedge on a twenty foot aluminum pole and you just pull all the snow down.  it is very hard work, but at least safe.  my son in law cleaned all the leaves from the gutters for me this fall.  my arthritis will not allow me to climb ladders any more.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2009, 07:29:31 AM »

GO, I'm relieved you are not up on the roof but I have to use an extension pole to clean mildew off my home and also on windows, so I know how tiring that 'rake' has to be on you. If the snow is frozen then I imagine it's all the harder to get it down too.

casa, it's ironic for son's fave candy is Skittles, well he likes Reese Cups a lot too but Skittles are #1. I think he came home because his sister shared I've been down, my company is downsizing heavily and hasn't closed business in our division as scheduled. Frankly it's every man/woman for themselves and it's bringing out the absolute worst in management currently. We're all at risk now and I think he knew a visit from him would help and it did. His path has been very challenging in football but it's built a better young man. He also said it must be really hard to work in a toxic environment where you have to keep your mouth shut, when on a football field you can let it fly  I needed that laugh right now.

That's great that Speedy gets to go back to his high school to work out, I bet his coaches love having him there and what a great example he is for aspiring players too.

Oh well, back to work with that knot in the pit of my stomach. With the level of unemployment we're heading to nationally, one has to wonder when that will begin to impact football ticket sales and if perhaps it's already impacting basketball and/or baseball/softball/soccer?

I continue to stand with the girl.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »

NU put it's spring game tickets for sale yesterday!  All reserved seating this year since they sold out (85+K) last year.  LOL... Guess I need to get 'em ordered.  Love it.
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

GO, I'm relieved you are not up on the roof but I have to use an extension pole to clean mildew off my home and also on windows, so I know how tiring that 'rake' has to be on you. If the snow is frozen then I imagine it's all the harder to get it down too.

casa, it's ironic for son's fave candy is Skittles, well he likes Reese Cups a lot too but Skittles are #1. I think he came home because his sister shared I've been down, my company is downsizing heavily and hasn't closed business in our division as scheduled. Frankly it's every man/woman for themselves and it's bringing out the absolute worst in management currently. We're all at risk now and I think he knew a visit from him would help and it did. His path has been very challenging in football but it's built a better young man. He also said it must be really hard to work in a toxic environment where you have to keep your mouth shut, when on a football field you can let it fly  I needed that laugh right now.

That's great that Speedy gets to go back to his high school to work out, I bet his coaches love having him there and what a great example he is for aspiring players too.

Oh well, back to work with that knot in the pit of my stomach. With the level of unemployment we're heading to nationally, one has to wonder when that will begin to impact football ticket sales and if perhaps it's already impacting basketball and/or baseball/softball/soccer?

Guess Skittles are the choice of football players! lol

That was so sweet of your son to come home and check on you.  What a wonderful son you have, none!  Yes, adversity in life and even in sports can help build their character.  The coaches do love having Speedy there at the high school. Last summer the basketball coach got him to help with a big basketball camp that we have (He also played basketball in high school).

I can only imagine how stressful your job must be right now!  At least I feel fairly safe because we HAVE to have schools and teachers.  I will be praying for you during this especially stressful time!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »

Casa - it's great to hear Speedy's high school coaches are using him and celebrating his great success. It warms my heart and you had a hand in that too, you supported and encouraged him when he most needed it ! You should be so proud!

I wish I could become a teacher, I don't have a master's in education but in business, but I also think our high schools could benefit from some business ethics classes ! Now that I could do !

Son is a good boy for the most part, he's stubborn as a mule like his mother which is tough to take at times when you realize you're likely the reason he is that way ! But he's learning and growing, making honor roll so I try to overlook his faults and pray he forgives me mine.

Remember that tire photo I posted? Well it seems that photo that started the whole NASCAR nic ultimately ended up in a body building magazine? The photographer sold it to them, I only heard about it from one of the coaches at the banquet. Gotta laugh, who knew? 

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2009, 11:17:11 AM »

Hey the girls here in my office want to know the name of the magazine? Since they are NASCAR fans also.
Well the Dawg House will be decorated in Cardinal and Steelers colors for this weeks Super Bowl.    Were hoping for an Az win.  If not they've had a great season.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »

Kiwi I honestly didn't ask the coach but son's roomie, one of the QB's laughed about it with me later and I think he knows? I'll ask him next chance I get.

I think a lot of folks are pulling for the Cards and they did have a great season. From what I'm reading it appears that their offenses are very similar so it should make for an interesting Super Bowl.

Bean is beaming over her season tickets selling out, I just hope my mother remembers to order a parking pass for this season with hers for son's games - just about wore me out pushing the nana down city streets and over the hills and dales to the stadium. Bless her heart, she made nearly every home game. I grew up going to games with my father in that stadium for he and my mother met while students there. I always tear up when the alma mater plays, so Bean it might not be as bigtime and Nebraska but it's ours. 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »

Bean is beaming over her season tickets selling out, I just hope my mother remembers to order a parking pass for this season with hers for son's games - just about wore me out pushing the nana down city streets and over the hills and dales to the stadium. Bless her heart, she made nearly every home game. I grew up going to games with my father in that stadium for he and my mother met while students there. I always tear up when the alma mater plays, so Bean it might not be as bigtime and Nebraska but it's ours. 

None... your mom is a dear to hit those games... you misunderstood my post.  Our season tickets have been sold out for ages (300 consecutive sellouts will hit this year)... I'm talking about tickets to our SPRING PRACTICE GAME!     Those are reserve seats only.  Fans are insane!  Gotta love it.

Hope you are at home more these days.. too cold to be travelling. ha. 

Kiwi I would like to see AZ win but I don't want to jinx them... so I will not root for anyone.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2009, 02:57:04 PM »

oh okay Bean, the spring game. So NEB does tickets for those? Gosh even Bama doesn't and son's new team doesn't either. Last spring ours was suspended due to a tornado so I sure hope we won't be fleeing from the stadium again this year 

When is your spring game? ours is in April.....

I am officially on the bench as of late next week, no travel and surely enough, a target on my back for downsize. 

TGIF 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2009, 09:35:08 PM »

None you crack me up.. on the bench.   

Yes - they always charged $5 admission and it was general admission... Well since we completely sold the stadium out last yr they upped it to $10 this year and all seats are reserved!  For a practice!  And it will sell out because it is what we are all about.  We have no other teams and football is this state's identity.  Really it is.  Our game is April 18th.
People fly in from all over the US for it.  ha ha ha

Speaking of benches... i might be joining you None.  Economy isn't all that.  Sigh. 
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »

Bean that's what it's called in services, on the bench  All of we more senior peeps were pulled from various accounts and the handwriting is on the wall.......so come sit by me !

that's great you have that much attendance that it can be a money maker for you too. I can't say the stands were full at ours last year, but they were nearly full at the last one I attended at Bama. I also recall some fans taking off with my mothers portable wheelchair at the Bama game too, I had to chase them down - they were using it to stand in !!! 

I hope we have pdh back by spring game !!!

thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2009, 11:18:40 PM »

don't you just  love it when a game lives up to the "super" billing!!!! no matter who you were pulling for this game was awesome!!! and yes i was pulling for the underdog just because the steelers already have 5 superbowl rings vs the cardinals zip and plus warner is just so inspirational! glad they made it such an exciting game! 

now....the commercials...which was your fav?
i loved the remake of the mean joe green coke commercial with the steeler guy cuz i thought it would be just a copy and was completely surprised that it went a completely differnet route...thought it was hilarious!! and of course i liked 2 of the clydesdale budweiser commercials! the mr and mrs potato head bridgestone was cute too!!! what say you monkeys?
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2009, 01:18:13 AM »

Have ya'll heard about the high schooler that died during pratice of apparent heat stroke and the coach has been indicted? I'd like to know what ya'll think about it. I found the following link tonight which has a lot of info. I guess I am fence sitting on this one at this point and was wondering what ya'll think...read this...http://skallas.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/if-allegations-are-true-case-of-indicted-kentucky-high-school-football-coach-a-close-one/

And here's a snipet...

There’s a lot here but, for purposes of this article, a list will be set forth below.  It’s unclear as to what will be admissible in a civil trial and/or a criminal trial but here are facts reported either in the newspaper or elicited during the 251-page deposition of PRP athletic director Webb.

1)      The athletic director never asked the coaching staff what happened that day.  He eventually was told by the police not to talk to students or coaches but during the two-week or so time period between the August 20 practice and early September, he never made an inquiry into what happened;

2)      Jeff Gilpin, Max’s father, stated to a local TV station that, based on what he saw at practice, he didn’t believe the coaches had done anything wrong.  But after hearing all the facts (from other parents, etc.), he changed his mind.

3)      Unbeknownst to the school or the coaches, Max Gilpin had been taking creatine, which apparently can contribute to something like heat stroke.  The school did know that Max Gilpin was taking Adderal for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), which also could have affected him that day.

4)      The doctors told Max’s parents that no autopsy would be necessary or conducted and said the cause of his death was heat stroke.

5)      When Max Gilpin collapsed, no coach immediately responded.  The athletic director, a few parents and eventually Mr. Gilpin were the first ones to get to Max, load him on to the AD’s Gator and take him to the water station.

6)      The coach was allowed to coach the whole season.  It was his first year as the head coach after three years as an assistant.

7)      Supposedly there is a player who did quit the team on August 20 during the “gassers”, allegedly to end the running drills.  The plaintiff’s attorney in the civil suit stated his name during the AD’s deposition.

Cool      Apparently multiple e-mails exist from parents at the adjoining soccer game who claim that they heard the coach telling the football team that they couldn’t have water.           

9)      One teammate of Max’s appeared on CBS’s Early Morning show and stated that the team had a number of water breaks during the practice.

10)  There are allegations that the heat index (of 94) was taken in the shade that day by the coaches because, under Kentucky High School Association Rules, if the heat index is 95, a new set of precautionary steps must be taken.

11)  Coach Stinson was released on his own recognizance and must appear in court on March 20.  He vehemently denies all of the charges and is looking forward to telling his side of the story.

12)  A prayer vigil, with hundreds attending in 20 degree weather to support Coach Stinson, was held last Sunday, January 25,  where Coach Stinson addressed the crowd and was devastated about what happened to his player.

13)  Having said all of the above, there is a recent case in federal court (the 11th Circuit, which does not include Kentucky) where the court held that plaintiffs could not recover (in a section 1983 case for deprivation of rights of a student who died in similar circumstances to Max Gilpin) against a coach who had qualified immunity, according to the 11th Circuit.  See Davis v. Carter, No. 08-10162, 11th Circuit, 1/23/09.  This case will be looked into by Coach Stinson’s attorney.

14)  It is being reported today (February 1, 2009) in the Louisville Courier-Journal that Coach Stinson, who played for Howard Schnellenberger at Louisville in the mid-1990s, told Max Gilpin’s mother at the hospital about how he (Stinson) played for Schnellenberger who had very strict water policies.  Schnellenberger was sued in the late 1990s by a Louisville player who almost died due to lack of water (the case was later dismissed).  In that case, according to the Courier-Journal, Schnellenberger cited his coaches (such as Paul “Bear” Bryant of Junction Boys fame) for his own strict water policies.

"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »

thecuz- I agree, there was no shame in that game for either team. I was pulling for Warner and the Cards too but the Steelers pulled it out. It was a thrilling game for sure.
I liked the Busch commercial where Daisy was dating?  I liked a lot of them though, I always do.

Spooky, high school and college players take creatine for it helps them to put on muscle and retain it. I protested it many years ago but no one in football seems to be protesting it at the leadership level. Some believe it eventually shuts down your kidneys and some others say it creates only an electrolyte imbalance, and still others swear it's completely harmless. ADHD drugs have been proven to impact the heart over time and Adderal is a form of 'speed'. I think ultimately those two combined may have had a large causal effect with that player's death but some of the reports you have detailed are very disturbing - why would one degree in heat not make the coach want to take all precautions?  Horrible lesson learned from this one.

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2009, 10:27:03 AM »

Wow what a close Super Bowl game last night! Could have gone either way.  I'm glad that even though the Cards were 9 and 7 in the regular season, they put up a nail biter. Only 100% of the party I was at were AZ fans.  When the Cardinals took the lead with 2 minutes to go it was  Then with 35 seconds it was  sad but fun never less.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »

I wasn't aware that 10 seconds of porn flashed on the screen!  Did anyone see that?  Either it wasn't in my area or I totally missed it, thank goodness!
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »

I wasn't aware that 10 seconds of porn flashed on the screen!  Did anyone see that?  Either it wasn't in my area or I totally missed it, thank goodness!

I heard about it on a sports radio program here - they said it was on a cable affiliate channel in Tuscon I think it was... anyway, not national.  Can you imagine?  They described it.. holy cow.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »

Have ya'll heard about the high schooler that died during pratice of apparent heat stroke and the coach has been indicted? I'd like to know what ya'll think about it. I found the following link tonight which has a lot of info. I guess I am fence sitting on this one at this point and was wondering what ya'll think...read this...http://skallas.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/if-allegations-are-true-case-of-indicted-kentucky-high-school-football-coach-a-close-one/

And here's a snipet...

I have a hard time with this because my father was a coach.  (college level)  I'll be honest - he was never home.  He was always with the other kids.  He was their surrogate father, their banker, their guidance counselor and bail bondsman (the 70's) ...plus their coach.  Yes a coach has alot of responsibility... but where does one draw the line?  I can't answer the question.  I just know that some things are out of their hands.

My dad told me his toughest day as a coach was when one of his football players went down at a game and was carted off on a stretcher, forever paralyzed.  Certainly nothing he could have done.... but the good ones all care. 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2009, 10:22:42 PM »

Just read that today (first day you could actually order those Spring Game tickets) we sold 45,000 tickets!!!!  I about died... it's all reserved seating this year and I hadnt ordered.  I have a relative in Lincoln and asked her to call tomorrow and get them for us!!! 

So how did everyone's signing day go?  Ours was calm - no surprises.  We had one academic casualty which we predicted but he's talented so it's a bummer.  But we're fine without that position being filled... so all in all it is a step in the right direction.  It's a nice class.

How about you guys?  Read Bama came thru # 1.  I may not personally like Saban but the man can coach and he can recruit.  You gotta give him some credit.

PDH... if you ever check in... we miss ya!

Kiwi, did you guys get a darn quarterback?  Thought I read you were missing one... but my memory ain't all that. ha.

Good luck all...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.