March 28, 2024, 01:41:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256593 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2009, 07:31:57 AM »

Bean, I'm just glad signing day is over, I guess I need a head break from the competition of football. Yes I'll give props to Saban for recruiting well, now he has to make all those 5 star recruits bring a NC home, right? That's what the UA fans want above all else.

We had some disappointments too it appears, I did see the one that isn't able to go to Nebraska, wasn't he a JUCO? That's great that your spring game is selling out so quickly, another good sign you have the right coach. That spring game will be here before we know it too!

PDH, looks like Auburn stole a few from LSU and the like, you should be proud!

Kiwi, I hope you got a QB if you needed one, good ones are hard to come by for sure.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2009, 08:00:46 AM »

Bean, I'm just glad signing day is over, I guess I need a head break from the competition of football. Yes I'll give props to Saban for recruiting well, now he has to make all those 5 star recruits bring a NC home, right? That's what the UA fans want above all else.

We had some disappointments too it appears, I did see the one that isn't able to go to Nebraska, wasn't he a JUCO? That's great that your spring game is selling out so quickly, another good sign you have the right coach. That spring game will be here before we know it too!

PDH, looks like Auburn stole a few from LSU and the like, you should be proud!

Kiwi, I hope you got a QB if you needed one, good ones are hard to come by for sure.

No the kid we lost was a HS player.  We only took 2 JUCOS - Callahan was the one that thought they were the answer and it left us high and dry.. hard to have success that way... great for key positions of need. 

Yeah looked like there was all kind of switching going on.  Drama. ha ha ha
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2009, 09:30:51 AM »

no big surprises for the razorbacks....signed 31...best rated class ark has ever had so guess petrino and his coaches can recruit too. rivals.com had our class 14th in the nation but 6th in SEC. i think there were 8 sec teams in the top 25!! time will tell?
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2009, 09:38:14 AM »

Coach Dooley is very pleased with the recruits coming to La Tech.  They got 9 three star players as rated by Rivals.  Saying it is the best class in decades!  Tech's class is ranked No. 2 in the WAC conference.  Nationally Tech's class in ranked in the mid 70's.  Guess we did pretty good for a small Division 1 school.  Not sure how son's University did.  I will talk to him and see what he thinks.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2009, 09:35:24 PM »

Glad everyone is pleased.  Looks like Lane Kiffen is managing to piss off a few quickly... he dissed both FL's U Meyer and AL's Saban already.  Man his team better perform.  I know he can recruit.  I'd prefer a coach that keeps their mouth shut til they produce some W's.

Don't worry about the rankings because frankly no one can predict how a HS kid will transition to the next level.  The only thing coaches can do is to develop them.  That's the thing I still don't get with Charlie Weiss... ND grabs lots of supposed studs year after year yet he has not proven to me that he and his staff have what it takes to develop those young men.

Bo said, "We make our own stars". 

2 1/2 mos til spring games.  What will we do?  Yikes.  I've even watched a bit of round ball!  I love our coach (He's from Arkansas)  He keeps landing the tall ones he needs and they fail to qualify, one had issues with a visa... The team fights so hard for him. They lost in the final seconds of overtime to one of the top rated teams (sorry, I don't follow round ball that closely. ha) ... felt sorry for them...

We can always talk about the stimulous package for 2 mos.     Man that is some scary stuff. 
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2009, 06:42:47 AM »

cuz- glad your coach closed out so many for the recruiting in the SEC is the toughest IMO. Being in the middle of the pack is respectable, I hope they all seize the moment and help your coach rebuild.

casa- I hope Speedy's team made out like bandits in the recruiting, having been at the top of the pack one would hope they would.

Bean- living in March Madness country I actually like basketball and hoped son would play that instead of football, but he followed his heart. Clemson whooped up on Duke which I don't think anyone expected this week. Should be very interesting in the ACC as a result, as the season progresses. Of course Roy @ UNC is king now but I can still remember when Coach K ruled. One of son's former teammates is on UNC's team, another one was but he graduated last spring. Neither played lots but in light of the talent that surrounded them, they are both extremely talented to have even made that team.

I found it interesting that a Rivals analyst finally stated last week that it's true, that five star rankings for recruits is a crap shoot - that one can never predict anything but potential from it. I like Bo's approach, stating he builds his stars says a lot. I think our team was recruiting for speed this season, not sure I always agree it matters most, but our speedsters have also been our most often injured to date? I also heard NCSU's coach O'Brien talking about his young QB who's been so successful this past season just yesterday, and who was also injured several times with concussions - he said he needs to learn to pass the ball better in the pocket and not run so much, for that's where his injuries occurred. That's an accurate statement and I worry with Tebow as the prototype all try to aspire to now, that few bodies can take the punishment his sustains so easily. Who is going to replace JPW as QB at Bama? It will be interesting to see what Saban does in that position, the style and success of that role of QB?

I had missed Kiffen's remarks, so he's dissing both Meyer and Saban? See, I think Urban is a good guy. I can still remember when so many criticized him for being close to Tebow and his parents, implying that his parents were running Urban? I think Urban is wise, look where Tebow has helped to take that team? I agree with you that Kiffen might need to prove himself before he starts casting stones.

As for the stimulus package, frankly I cannot go there, it gives me heart palpitations. Just imagine this one example, if one of those Wall Street former CEO's needs healthcare for he's so rotten he can't find another job - we will all as taxpayers pay for his COBRA?

no thank you.

fyi, NCSU lost one of their greatest legacies recently, Coach Kay Yow. She personified the higher road in women's basketball, commitment to team and to God. She died of breast cancer.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2009, 08:30:44 AM »

I think Kiffen is trying to rev up enthusiasm for his program but he makes the mistake of badmouthing other coaches in doing so.. don't mess with the brotherhood.. at least not until you are the King.  Here's a link to the Meyers accusation of cheating:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/13413779

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec/0-5-38/Kiffin--Meyer-cheated-and-still-lost-top-prospect.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3886703

he makes digs at saban in one of the others...
Don't get me wrong, they have assembled the best coaching staff that money can buy.  But they "aint' at USC" anymore or in the pros... back to square one and you gotta earn it all over again.  Let the Ws speak for themselves.

Off to work - yeah it's Friday!
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »

Well, we signed very few offensive players.  I really have not heard of any of them.  The majority were either defense or offensive line.  I think we signed one QB and one WR and that is all for key positions.   I sure do not think that our current QB situation is good.  Running backs we always have.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2009, 09:10:33 AM »

I think Kiffen is trying to rev up enthusiasm for his program but he makes the mistake of badmouthing other coaches in doing so.. don't mess with the brotherhood.. at least not until you are the King.  Here's a link to the Meyers accusation of cheating:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/13413779

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec/0-5-38/Kiffin--Meyer-cheated-and-still-lost-top-prospect.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3886703

he makes digs at saban in one of the others...
Don't get me wrong, they have assembled the best coaching staff that money can buy.  But they "aint' at USC" anymore or in the pros... back to square one and you gotta earn it all over again.  Let the Ws speak for themselves.

Off to work - yeah it's Friday!

Wow Bean, no wonder you posted about that incident. I think Kiffen has some rocks in his head  He's already being called out regarding violation of ethics by the SEC? Sheesh, he can beat his chest without doing stupid things, for that only reflects back on TN too and I'm sure the superboosters won't appreciate it.

As for Thompson, well I can tell you Saban beats down and humiliates his coaches in front of the team, to the degree it doesn't surprise me Thompson wants to exact some payback now. Might be some what goes around comes around happening there......

GO - I was hoping you'd get some offensive skills you needed in this class but I also think that frozen tundra works against your team in that regard. One game we had was in 20 degree weather with sleet and it turned half our team into "stone hands". I know it's not fair but I do think having heard our team complain so much about the cold in that game, that maybe that works against your recruiting too? I also think QB is the most difficult and risky position to recruit for, in this day and age, all the more reason coaches really need to work to develop their QB recruits.

spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2009, 06:54:59 PM »

thecuz- I agree, there was no shame in that game for either team. I was pulling for Warner and the Cards too but the Steelers pulled it out. It was a thrilling game for sure.
I liked the Busch commercial where Daisy was dating?  I liked a lot of them though, I always do.

Spooky, high school and college players take creatine for it helps them to put on muscle and retain it. I protested it many years ago but no one in football seems to be protesting it at the leadership level. Some believe it eventually shuts down your kidneys and some others say it creates only an electrolyte imbalance, and still others swear it's completely harmless. ADHD drugs have been proven to impact the heart over time and Adderal is a form of 'speed'. I think ultimately those two combined may have had a large causal effect with that player's death but some of the reports you have detailed are very disturbing - why would one degree in heat not make the coach want to take all precautions?  Horrible lesson learned from this one.

That is awful. Don't high schools drug test any more? Or is it that they are looking the other way? Cause if this kid had that drug in his system AND had been tested by the school, well then shouldn't the school be held accountable not the coach? Just a thought. I was also disturbed that the Dad was there watching the practice but didn't have a problem with water being withheld? If you believe the witnesses that claim they overheard the coach saying he was going to keep water from them. Like you said, what a horrible lesson to learn.

"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »

Hi Spooky, I don't think high schools do drug testing, unless something has changed since son was in high school. I didn't know his father was in the stands at that practice either, gosh! Most serious high school players use some kind of enhancement like creatine now, some can't afford it which I think is a good thing. Coaches that I've known will not speak against it either. I do think the parents should have known with their son on Adderal that taking ANY type of supplement should be approved by their son's physician. But ideally the schools should take a stand on this and I suspect some will, to avoid litigation in the future. The bigger issue is one we see in all high profile sports now, be bigger, faster, stronger at any cost?

Bean, this was in the news today. It gives you an idea of the frenzy around ACC basketball, particularly the UNC vs Duke rivalry? Unreal 

NC senator offers his 'seat' for Duke-Carolina tix

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9190152/NC-senator-offers-his-'seat'-for-Duke-Carolina-tix?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2009, 06:52:36 PM »

I am not aware of any high school drug testing being done in our state.  These kids are having annual physicals from their own family doctors and are monitored by parents and coaches.  I am sure there is some abuse, but for the most part it is pretty obvious if some one who was 98 lbs as a freshman comes back as a soph. at 180 lbs and benches 300.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2009, 08:41:43 PM »

GO you're already in green? 

Rivals has the top ten things we love about college football on their front page today, I thought some here might get a kick out of the Valentine's list:

February 14, 2009

The Things We Love About College Football

Rivals.com Staff

In honor of Valentine's Day, the Rivals.com football staff decided to put together a top-10 list of the things we love about college football.

Fire up the grill, crack open a beer, put on your No. 1 jersey, load in a DVD of your team's most thrilling wins, cue your favorite fight song on the stereo and enjoy.

10. OVERTIME
Argue all you want about how the NFL has a much better method of deciding its champion. At least college football knows how to decide the winner of a game that's tied at the end of regulation. College football's overtime procedure might overemphasize the importance of a quality kicker, but at least it guarantees each team one possession.

9. FIGHT SONGS
Any self-respecting college football fan can hum at least a few bars of the "The Eyes of Texas," "Boomer Sooner," "Notre Dame Victory March," "The Victors," "Ramblin' Wreck of Georgia Tech" and plenty of other fight songs. Just try to name any NFL fight songs beyond "Hail To The Redskins." You can't do it.

8. CREATIVE OFFENSES AND QUARTERBACKS
Whenever college football creates an exciting multitalented player, such as Arkansas' Matt Jones, Indiana's Antwaan Randle-El or Florida's Tim Tebow, all we hear is how he won't be a proper fit for the NFL. So what? We don't care about what they will do in the NFL. We don't care if they are "system" players. In college football, teams find ways to make room for unique talents. Remember how the "Wildcat offense" was all the rage in the NFL this past season? To anyone who paid attention to college football, that scheme already was yesterday's news.

7. COLLEGE TOWNS ON GAME DAY
The world stops for at least 24 hours, and nothing matters but a three-hour game.

6. LIVE MASCOTS
No other sport has them roaming near all the action. Thank goodness for, among others, Ralphie (Colorado), Bevo (Texas), Mike the Tiger (LSU), Chief Osceola and Renegade (Florida State), Traveler (USC), Rameses (North Carolina), Auburn's eagle and Uga (Georgia).

5. RIVALRIES
People talk about Major League Baseball rivalries, rivalries in the NBA and rivalries in the NFL. Come on – they all pale in comparison to those in college football. Red Sox-Yankees is a heated rivalry, yes, but the teams play at least 18 times per season . Contrast that to, say, Michigan-Ohio State. They meet once – on the last Saturday of the regular season. And in college football, some rivalries are so big they get names: The Big Game (California-Stanford), The Civil War (Oregon-Oregon State), The Holy War (BYU-Utah), The Backyard Brawl (Pittsburgh-West Virginia), The Iron Bowl (Alabama-Auburn), The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party (Florida-Georgia), The Red River Rivalry (Oklahoma-Texas).

4. THE REGULAR SEASON
The postseason might be considered a disaster by some, but there's nothing better than September, October and November.

3. MARCHING BANDS
Admit it: When you hear a drum line, everything is right with the world. Nothing beats the brass bombast and flurry of drums as the band strides in rhythm toward the stadium on a Saturday morning. And it's not just at halftime, but before the game and during the game, too. In college football, the actual game is only part of the show; the bands can make the pregame and halftime pageantry almost as good as the game. And enough with the canned music during breaks in the action; there's nothing like hearing the marching band crank it up instead

2. TRADITION
Man, there's too many to mention – but we'll get a few in: the marches by the Cadets and Midshipmen at Army and Navy, FSU's flaming spear at midfield, Tennessee's checkerboard end zones, singing "We are the Boys" at the beginning of the fourth quarter in Gainesville, rolling Toomer's Corner, Texas A&M's 12th Man, Georgia's hedges, flashing the "Hook 'Em Horns" sign, Clemson players touching Howard's Rock, night games in Baton Rouge, tailgating in the Grove at Ole Miss, Tightwad Hill in Berkeley, dotting the "I" at Ohio State …

1. THE PASSION
Nothing matches the fan hysteria surrounding college football. Tailgating with your friends, cheerleaders, marching bands, fight songs, stadium chants – you know, it's enough to bring a tear to your eye, especially when there's six-and-a-half months until it starts again.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=912138

Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2009, 01:11:26 AM »

I'm coming in here with my tail between my legs but the bark is coming back....

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON......

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2009, 01:55:13 AM »

WELCOME KEEPTHEFAITH !!!!!   

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »

Welcome KTF!  You've got guts but this crew totally understands.  Remember that song "Be true to your school...."  And we will even cheer you and your team on!  Forgive me but I can't remember who you guys hired to replace Ty.  How are things going?  Nowhere to go but up for sure.  Good luck to you!  And welcome to our little football haven.
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2009, 11:31:30 PM »

Welcome KTF!  You've got guts but this crew totally understands.  Remember that song "Be true to your school...."  And we will even cheer you and your team on!  Forgive me but I can't remember who you guys hired to replace Ty.  How are things going?  Nowhere to go but up for sure.  Good luck to you!  And welcome to our little football haven.

Thanx Frijole,as well as None.We hired Coach Sarkisian who was the offensive coordinator at USC.He brought with him the D-Coordinator Nick Holt from SC,2 strength and conditioning personnel from SC,as well as 1 for director of football operations and player personnel.All from The University of Southern California under Pete Carroll.I think it is a gamble to hire a younger coach but feel the enthusiasm and energy will,by far,be much greater!Coach Sarkisian has surrounded himself with great recruiters and coaches.Got guys that are familiar with the whole WestCoast and the Hawaiian Islands!Very important to the westcoast.
      We have a lot of talent but,anyone can see that from the strenght and conditiong aspect we have been getting our butt's Kicked.hence 0-12.The new coaches are geared towards speed,speed,speed!I'll shut up for now but Appreciate the welcome!

KEEPTHEFAITH

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."

MOHANDAS GANDHI
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2009, 01:14:54 AM »

KTF - Just know the most prolific posters on this thread for the most part, all have teams on the rebuild. Son's team had a championship season, it was a real roller coaster, but then lost the bowl game. So up/down, up/down, up/down 

Frijole is the big Nebraska fan, Bo is rebuilding their program well. I think you may have a young coach but one who has had some great preparation. Nothing like coming from a top program in the country to prepare you for the pressure too ! I think it will be neat for us to have another team to pull for!

Kiwi hosts the losers clubhouse for us, he does great libations and football fare too ! 

Spring practice officially starts in just a few weeks too ! Son is in conditioning right now, happy to say his head coach put he and one other senior in charge of the ongoing weight training for one of the groups. That also means as the leaders over their group, if anyone misses class or workout, then the leaders and entire group have to get up at 5 to go watch the offenders work out. Son said somehow his group managed to miss 7 classes in two day's time. He was not a happy camper  I won't repeat what he said to them either. 

oh and son's nickname is NASCAR, and casa's son's nickname is Speedy. Speedy really is the top wr I believe in his conference? He will be one to watch for sure !

Frijole, my fingers are tired, can you take over from here with the orientation? 

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »

KTF welcome to Kiwi's Dawg House! Everyone has lost at some point here, so don't feel too bad. Just tell me your teams colors and we'll get busy on a couch and big screen TV for you in the Dawg House. Hey nice NASCAR tread.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
Keepthefaith
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2009, 09:00:33 PM »

KTF welcome to Kiwi's Dawg House! Everyone has lost at some point here, so don't feel too bad. Just tell me your teams colors and we'll get busy on a couch and big screen TV for you in the Dawg House. Hey nice NASCAR tread.

Purple and Gold..Go Dawgs!

MOHANDAS GANDHI
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.