March 29, 2024, 03:43:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256818 times)
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »

I talked with my son tonight after two days of practice.  His comments were, "long and hard."  The purple/gray game is on April 17 which is a Friday.  Of course, I will be working!  Not sure if I can take off and go as this time of the year is SO busy for me with state and federal paperwork to complete!  none, hope your son is having a good spring practice and you will be able to attend any spring games he has! 

Casa let us know how it goes!!  What year is he?

Thanks, frijole!  He is a senior but he was redshirted his freshman year so he can play again next year.
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »

I talked with my son tonight after two days of practice.  His comments were, "long and hard."  The purple/gray game is on April 17 which is a Friday.  Of course, I will be working!  Not sure if I can take off and go as this time of the year is SO busy for me with state and federal paperwork to complete!  none, hope your son is having a good spring practice and you will be able to attend any spring games he has! 

casa, I'm sorry to hear the game is on a Friday !?! I expect a lot of parents won't be able to attend and that's really unfortunate. I hope your son Speedy has a great game anyway! Last season I found an employee of the university who is a former ref in Big East and tapes all of the games for his support and pleasure, he was kind enough to send me copies of the games I had to miss. Maybe you can find someone like that with DVD's you can view? Son is doing well and his girlfriend is there visiting this week too, so he's extra happy. His team already has some injuries rolling off winter work-out's too so just keeping my fingers and toes crossed our boys can stay healthy. Yes I plan to make the game but we're lucky, ours is on a Saturday or else I would not be able to attend either.

none, that is wonderful that you at least get to watch all the games on DVD!  Is this your son's last year? 

I don't know of anyone who tapes the games, but I will check into that.  I do get to listen to all of them via the internet.

I hope NASCAR has a great spring game!

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2009, 08:49:34 PM »

Casa let us know how it goes!!  What year is he?

Thanks, frijole!  He is a senior but he was redshirted his freshman year so he can play again next year.

Great.  We expect great things of him then this year... do keep us posted.  I told None this is usually the year they break out.  It takes a few years to adjust to the next level, coaches etc.  We'll be cheering him on.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »

Oh my...

March 19, 2009

Pelini to speak at USC coaches clinic later this month

HuskersIllustrated.com

Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini is just one of several different Division I head coaches that is scheduled to speak at USC's coaching clinic on Mar. 28 in Los Angeles. The event will give Pelini a great opportunity to speak in front of several top California high school football coaches.

I guess Pete doesn't see Bo as a threat yet.  Sounds like a great recruiting opportunity to me.  Coaches are very influential don't ya know.   

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2009, 05:05:45 PM »

I never come in here so if this has been posted, please excuse>>>

Fugitive Ex-Quarterback Killed in Crash
Posted Mar 20, 2009 11:03
CHESTER, Pa. (March 20) - A former NFL quarterback who failed to show for sentencing on drunken driving charges nearly four years ago was killed in a car crash in Greece, authorities said, leaving behind an unsolved mystery involving two suspicious fires and years spent on the lam.
Authorities say former NFL quarterback William "Jeff" Komlo was killed in a car crash in Greece over the weekend.
Deaths in Sports
Authorities say former NFL quarterback William "Jeff" Komlo was killed in a car crash in Greece over the weekend.

The State Department used fingerprints to determine that the victim of Saturday's crash was William "Jeff" Komlo, according to Jim Vito, Chester County's acting chief detective. Vito said he was initially skeptical, concerned because of Komlo's history that he might have faked his own death.
"Even though we heard that he was deceased, the first reaction was that, well, we better make a positive identification," Vito said.
Once the State Department verified the fingerprints were those of the 52-year-old fugitive, Vito was satisfied.
"As far as we're concerned, we're closing this now."
A State Department spokesman, Noel Clay, declined to comment "out of respect for the family." He would not say where in Greece the accident happened or release any details of the crash.
Komlo played for the Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers over five NFL seasons from 1979 to 1983.
In July 2005, Komlo failed to show for sentencing on two drunken driving convictions.
Two months earlier, authorities had issued a warrant for Komlo when he didn't appear for a May 10 preliminary hearing on charges in an alleged assault on his girlfriend.
At the time he went missing, Komlo was under investigation for fires at his home in Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, and another home in Florida.
Komlo had lived in Chester Springs and worked as an insurance broker in the nearby Philadelphia suburb of Wayne. Authorities did not know what happened to him after he skipped the hearings in 2005.
"This guy apparently has created some intrigue over the years," Vito said.
After getting into 16 games his rookie year with the NFL, the quarterback played sporadically the rest of his career.
An NFL spokesman did not immediately comment Friday.
Komlo starred at the University of Delaware, leading the Blue Hens to the Division II national championship game in 1978. The Lions picked him in the 9th round of the 1979 NFL draft.
Scott Selheimer, Delaware's sports information director, said the school's thoughts go out to Komlo's friends and family.
"It's a tragic situation where someone, when they were here at the university, was kind of like a hero," Selheimer said. "It's a shame that his life kind of tumbled. He was going through so many troubled situations for so long."
An attorney who had represented Komlo in Palm Beach County, Florida, declined to comment Friday.
Two other attorneys who had represented him in Pennsylvania did not return telephone calls from The Associated Press. A telephone number for his ex-wife could not be located.
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?s=b55996257bc57386fdaf481ae14a1d94&showtopic=43119

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »

Thanks Nut. That's a very sad case. That guy seems to have wasted his life after his stint in the NFL.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2009, 02:04:22 AM »

Thanks so much pdh!  Knowing that you all are interested in him makes him smile really big!  He mentioned my computer friends the other day.

Thank you for sharing him with us. You and nonesy are great about keeping us involved, and it's just so fun.
casa, tell him that the sports fanatics at SM are behind him 100%! It's just so exciting to have posters with kids who are actually playing college ball. It takes it to a whole new level!

beans - I hope Bo goes into So.Cal. territory, and snatches up a few standout recruits that PeteyPoo had his heart set on signing...
I know Bo and the Nebraska tradition would impress me more than Coach Hollywood and his Football Extravaganza, but I'm not an 18 year old athlete either....
If I were a high school coach, I'd tell my prospective college recruits to turn off ESPN, and go with the school that felt right. If they did that, Bo would come out ahead more often than not against Pete Carroll. And really....that silly guy on the horse.....I'd be embarassed by that too. Much better to be a Cornhusker...

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »

Casa, thanks for the good wishes for nascar, yes he's a senior but he lost one year of eligibility to his transfer year which he sat out as per NCAA rules, so this will be his last season. Tell Speedy we're wishing for him to have an extra speedy spring!!

silly guy on the horse  too funny PDH

I saw this article and I had to post it for PDH, should make you smile, your tigers are lookin' good for next season 

http://cfn.scout.com/2/848898.html

Spring Preview 2009

The 20 Big Questions ... No. 9

With spring ball underway, here are the 20 Big Questions to start off the offseason.

9. The Ole Miss … The teams that will surprise.

Ole Miss wasn’t expected to do too much last year, but Houston Nutt inherited a tremendous defensive line, a solid quarterback in Jevan Snead, and a good enough group of players to build into a big season that came out of the blue. Two years ago it was Illinois and Kansas that shocked the college football world and came up with huge seasons. Going into this year, what ten teams have a chance to go from being an afterthought to playing in a 2010 bowl game?

Auburn
It’s not like the Tigers were all that far away from having a good year. Going 5-7 doesn’t fly around Auburn, and worse yet, getting blasted by Alabama really doesn’t sit well. However, the Tigers lost four games by five points or fewer and would’ve won those games if they had any semblance of consistency on offense. After finishing 104th in the nation in total offense and 110th in scoring, if new offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn can work his magic and provide more pop to the attack, a winning season will be a lock.

Clemson
The Tigers rallied over the second half of the season with four wins in the final five regular season games, highlighted by a 31-14 blowout of South Carolina. While the bowl loss to Nebraska ended things with a thud, it was a good performance that showed why the team has the potential to come back strong. Like Ole Miss last year, a new head coach is in place to reap the rewards from some great recruiting classes. Helped by the return of RB C.J. Spiller, and considering the offensive line can’t be any worse and the defensive line can fall out of bed and come up with more sacks, the potential is there for Clemson to finally be a real, live player in the ACC title race.

Colorado
It was another disappointing season under Dan Hawkins, but the Buffs went 5-7 with a win over West Virginia. The program is half empty view would point out that CU won four of its five games by a touchdown or less, and beat West Virginia, Kansas State, and Iowa State by a total of eight points. However, there was a rash of injuries that destroyed any hope of a consistent season on either side of the ball. Now the valid excuse of last year should turn into a positive with an influx of top players coming back. If the Buffs can go 5-7 last year with so many problems, this year they should be at least three games better if they can stay healthy.

Michigan
Things can’t be any worse. After the stunningly bad 3-9 campaign in the first year under Rich Rodriguez, the potential is there for a far better year with more of the pieces in place to run the attack. Turnovers were the biggest problem, with a comedy of errors at times and 30 giveaways on the year, the sputtering offense screwed up more than it helped at times. It’s not going to be a Rose Bowl season this year and Michigan won’t be Michigan again for at least another season, but the team should be far better. While last year’s loss to Toledo showed that the program can’t take anyone lightly, the schedule isn’t all that bad with four home games to start against Western Michigan, Notre Dame, Eastern Michigan and Indiana coming to the Big House. Delaware State and Purdue are also on the slate.

Minnesota
It was a tale of two seasons for Minnesota. The team looked like a world-beater for the first eight games, and then it all fell apart as the turnovers started flowing and the offense went into the tank. An injury to WR Eric Decker was a big problem, but the defense going bye-bye was the bigger issue. Losing the coordinators will be a bit of a problem, but with some good recruiting classes, a shiny new stadium, the return of Decker and QB Adam Weber, and a schedule with just enough winnable games to get back to a bowl game, the Gophers could rise up and be a surprise team if the offense can find a running game again and if the defense keeps taking the ball away.

North Carolina
This was one of teams on last year’s list of teams that could surprise, and it did with a nice 8-5 season even though there was a collapse in the last four games. The recruiting classes have been so good, and the upgrade in the overall athleticism so impressive that the Tar Heels have the potential to jump up even further and win the ACC title. It’ll take some more pop from an offense that loses some key players, and the defense needs to do more against the pass, but seven of the first ten games are at home before going on the road for key dates at Boston College and NC State. The young team should be jelled by late November; at least that’s Butch Davis’s hope.

Notre Dame
Fine, so Notre Dame, like North Carolina, was on this list last year, too. But the Irish really did make a jump back into the spotlight with a 7-6 season that might not have seemed like much, but was night-and-day better than the 2007 debacle. While the last two years were hardly acceptable to Irish fans, the team really did need to be rebuilt with new talent. The biggest sin was that the young recruits didn’t rock right away, but there’s a chance, and a good one, that there’s another big jump in overall production with so many key players returning with so much experience. And then there’s a schedule with only two true road trips until mid-November, and one of those games is at Purdue.

Oklahoma State
The Cowboys went 9-4 last season with the three regular season losses coming against the stars of the South, Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma before losing the Holiday Bowl against Oregon. So why are they on this list after such a successful year? There’s a chance they’ll be even better … a lot better. The nation’s ninth ranked scoring offense and sixth ranked offense overall gets everyone back of note other than TE Brandon Pettigrew. Zac Robinson, Dez Bryant, Kendall Hunter and Russell Okung are all stars who’ll help combine for an attack that won’t be light on the firepower. If they can beat Georgia in the season opener, the hype will kick in for what should be a big start. Playing Missouri, at Texas A&M and Baylor won’t be walks in the park, but if the Cowboys can get by Georgia, they’ll likely be 7-0 with Texas coming to town. Win that, and barring a monster upset, they’ll be 11-0 before going to Oklahoma.

Tennessee
Now it’s time to see if the guy can actually coach. At least Lane Kiffin has put together a strong assistant coaching staff to help out the cause, and if nothing else, the overall change in the program’s attitude and energy should make a difference. Despite going 115th in the nation in total offense and 107th in passing efficiency, the Vols still had chances to come up with a winning season going 5-7 with a loss to UCLA that easily could’ve gone the other way. Losses to Auburn and Wyoming were also close to being on the plus side of the ledger sheet. Games against Florida and Alabama will almost certainly be losses anyway, so they might as well be on the road. There are only four away games (Ole Miss and Kentucky are the other ones) and the home slate, outside of a game against Georgia, isn’t bad.

Vanderbilt
The Commodores got over the bowl hump and to a post-season game for the first time since 1982, but it was hardly smooth sailing. Vandy was the hot story to start the season, going 5-0 with wins over South Carolina, Ole Miss, and Auburn, but it sputtered from then on with five losses in the final six games and with an offense that was the third worst in America. It was a cute story that had an amazing ending with a Music City Bowl win over a Boston College team that lost the ACC title game. The program will go back to being a punching back for the rest of the SEC, right? Maybe not. The entire offensive line is back and should be fantastic, the receiving corps might be without Justin Wheeler, who injured his knee, but it’s getting a major upgrade with Terence Jeffers coming in from UConn and Tray Herndon transferring over from Minnesota. The secondary has issues, but the front seven should be fantastic.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2009, 10:26:40 AM »

Thanks so much pdh!  Knowing that you all are interested in him makes him smile really big!  He mentioned my computer friends the other day.

Thank you for sharing him with us. You and nonesy are great about keeping us involved, and it's just so fun.
casa, tell him that the sports fanatics at SM are behind him 100%! It's just so exciting to have posters with kids who are actually playing college ball. It takes it to a whole new level!

beans - I hope Bo goes into So.Cal. territory, and snatches up a few standout recruits that PeteyPoo had his heart set on signing...
I know Bo and the Nebraska tradition would impress me more than Coach Hollywood and his Football Extravaganza, but I'm not an 18 year old athlete either....
If I were a high school coach, I'd tell my prospective college recruits to turn off ESPN, and go with the school that felt right. If they did that, Bo would come out ahead more often than not against Pete Carroll. And really....that silly guy on the horse.....I'd be embarassed by that too. Much better to be a Cornhusker...

Well I am not even close to 18 either.    So my opinion is pretty much worthless too. 

We signed over 10 I think from CA last year including the CA Player of the Year!  Coaches are key as they have to trust you won't lie or mislead their kids.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »

None, thanks for sharing that article.  The interesting thing about all of those situations is it boils down to developing players/coaching.  Which coaches can do it.  I think TN has the most to prove.  Will Kiffin deliver and be the next Saban or will his words bite him in the butt.  All depends on if the coaches can put it together.  They certainly weren't left with empty cupboards as some schools were.

Re Auburn - I'm still of the school that TT shouldn't have been fired.  You make a decision to switch schemes you will have growing pains.  OK so that didn't happen.  Cupboards NOT bare.  Question is can the new staff become a cohesive unit and get the players back in synch.  Their D is usually stellar.  I think they imploded due to issues on the O and the coaching change rumors.  They are just kids.  They'll be fine.  My only concern is what I read from some Big 12 posters about Chizek's inability to make quick decisions (Clock mgmt, goal line plays)  There were some incredibly bad coaching calls that cost them close games.  Hopefully it was first season HC jitters.

Re Our "MONKEY TEAM" - yes.  We love em all and count on proud moms every where to keep us up to speed.

PDH when is your spring game?
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:17 AM »

Forgot to mention...another team that will be interesting to watch is Notre Dame.  Was the bowl win the beginning of a step in the right direction OR are we in for more of the same?  I can't stand to watch 5 star players (which they consistently sign) stink on the field.  No excuse.  That is poor coaching. 
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2009, 12:43:29 PM »

I agree beans, TT should still be our head coach. It was a boneheaded move, and the majority of the fans were mad about it, but what can we do?  There was a huge backlash, but he's still gone. This time out will help Tubby get over his burnout, and he'll be fabulous at his new HC job, wherever he lands.

I'm always an AU Tiger, so I'm just gonna get behind Coach Chiz and hope for the best. I think CGC will lean heavily on Coach Malzahn for offensive decisions, because CGC is mostly a defensive guy, who was even better at his job while at AU than Will Muschamp.  I believe that's why Gus Malzahn was hired....to balance things out. I'm hoping CGC knows his weaknesses, and is aware of his mistakes. I'm sure he does, if he reads any of the forums around here....

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »

OOPS! Forgot to say that our spring game is April 18th.  But I've lost faith in those games forcasting a season after last year. We looked great that day, and the hype about our new spread offense began.....

Our biggest dilemna is the QB1 position. We have so many possibilities, and Kodi is not a sure thing. I'm hoping he can be coached into becoming a great QB, but he sure doesn't have a lock on being the starter. Tubby saw something in him, so he must have it somewhere. Maybe CGM can pull him together and get him to be a complete package. Right now, Kodi is a terrible passer with some shoddy footwork, but he's great at scrambling. He needs to watch Tim Tebow tapes in his sleep....

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2009, 02:30:16 PM »

OOPS! Forgot to say that our spring game is April 18th.  But I've lost faith in those games forcasting a season after last year. We looked great that day, and the hype about our new spread offense began.....

Our biggest dilemna is the QB1 position. We have so many possibilities, and Kodi is not a sure thing. I'm hoping he can be coached into becoming a great QB, but he sure doesn't have a lock on being the starter. Tubby saw something in him, so he must have it somewhere. Maybe CGM can pull him together and get him to be a complete package. Right now, Kodi is a terrible passer with some shoddy footwork, but he's great at scrambling. He needs to watch Tim Tebow tapes in his sleep....

Our game is the same day and I'm going!  Certainly not a predictor but it is an excuse to wear red, sing the fight song and cheer the kids on. ha   Pretty sure it's another sell out of 80k or so.  Love it.  Helps that recruits are there to see the craziness too.  Fans forget it isn't a game because the stadium is full.

We got the QB thing going on too.  Our guy graduated.  There were 2 they said in the running and one of them went to Bo with his Dad and asked him to name a starter after spring practices so if he didn't win the starter spot by then he could transfer.     Can you imagine the look on Bo's face?  Yikes.  Anyway.. the kid was giving his release right then.

Other 2 in running - our stud 5 start out of TX arrived on campus in Dec and last week pulled a groin muscle.. out 12 weeks.  So that leaves us with the kid that signed with OK State 2 yrs ago and 2 weeks before classes started Coach Gundy informed him they didn't have room for him - he'd have to pay his first semester's tuition. etc.  He transferred here - don't know much about him.  So we will see what we have.  Luckily the O line should be good.  That helps a new QB!   You have a good O line PDH?

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »

excuse my typos!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »

Well....the O-Line is a question mark with quite a few AU fans. I don't think our O-Line was really as much at fault for our offensive woes as some do. But the entire offense was out of rhythm, and it started with the QB, and just radiated out from there. One of our OL studs kept getting called for jumping the gun...the same unfortunate kid every time all season. But the chaos and confusion was why he was offsides all the time. He was getting mixed signals, and he was so frustrated by the end of the year that he was a nervous wreck. We have lots of talent, and hopefully in the off season some of the kids have done some weight training and will put on a few more pounds and a couple of inches. The majority of them are very young, freshmen, sophomores, a few juniors(18-19-20) and still have some growing to do. We didn't sign but two this year, so on down the road we'll have to pick up some good ones. I don't think we're very deep, so injuries may hurt us.
Coach Malzahn has a lot of work to do to heal the wounds from last season. Those kids were humiliated. I hope they get a chance to show what they're capable of this year.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »

Well....the O-Line is a question mark with quite a few AU fans. I don't think our O-Line was really as much at fault for our offensive woes as some do. But the entire offense was out of rhythm, and it started with the QB, and just radiated out from there. One of our OL studs kept getting called for jumping the gun...the same unfortunate kid every time all season. But the chaos and confusion was why he was offsides all the time. He was getting mixed signals, and he was so frustrated by the end of the year that he was a nervous wreck. We have lots of talent, and hopefully in the off season some of the kids have done some weight training and will put on a few more pounds and a couple of inches. The majority of them are very young, freshmen, sophomores, a few juniors(18-19-20) and still have some growing to do. We didn't sign but two this year, so on down the road we'll have to pick up some good ones. I don't think we're very deep, so injuries may hurt us.
Coach Malzahn has a lot of work to do to heal the wounds from last season. Those kids were humiliated. I hope they get a chance to show what they're capable of this year.

I don't know Malzahn but if he's good he'll deal with the psyche part first.  This sort of reminds me of what our defense went thru last year after the debacle the year before.  They really as bad as they played that last yr under Calla"who".. there was division within the team and really really poor coaching.  No development.  When things started falling apart those kids looked LOST on the field.  Seriously they were looking around and it was obvious they did not have a clue what they were supposed to do! It was the weirdest thing I've ever witnessed.  They were embarrassed and confused.   Fans were in total shock and ultimately meltdown.

When Bo and all of the other coaches came in they said they weren't going to review previous film from that year because it was water under the bridge, new system and it wouldn't be beneficial.  That was them being kind.  You KNOW they did watch film and were probably wondering WTH.  They had to build the confidence of these kids as they were shattered.   Of course they wanted to do well.

I'll bet the first few games your guys will be nervous and trying to prove they can do it.  They just need success and they'll feed off it and be fine.  Encouragement is what they need most.  (and a clear and consisely communicated scheme lol)

I will sure root them on.  It is hard sometimes to remember that these are very young men.  And it's why I am totally opposed to firing coaches mid season.  (i'm not coming down on auburn - cuz many schools did it this last year)  I think it is UNFAIR to the kids.  Because they are young and that is so counter productive. 
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2009, 10:22:33 PM »

Hey beans...it's OK! I didn't agree with firing Coach Franklin either, but I'm not sure what was going on inside the locker room. Chaos reigned, apparently. And although our defense was outstanding considering the load they carried each week, it was still not up to par with our usual standards. We are a team that has a defense so good that if the offense is having an off day, then the defense can score for us...  
I'm laughing, but it has absolutely happened in many games....our stellar defense was so quick and tough that they were able to score even when the offense was sputtering.  I didn't see any of that kind of effort either, so the whole team needs a revamping and some confidence boosting.
I hope this coaching staff is up to it, because the AU Family will not take much more. They've already talked about tying that goober AD from the tree on Toomer's Corner.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »

Hey beans...it's OK! I didn't agree with firing Coach Franklin either, but I'm not sure what was going on inside the locker room. Chaos reigned, apparently. And although our defense was outstanding considering the load they carried each week, it was still not up to par with our usual standards. We are a team that has a defense so good that if the offense is having an off day, then the defense can score for us...  
I'm laughing, but it has absolutely happened in many games....our stellar defense was so quick and tough that they were able to score even when the offense was sputtering.  I didn't see any of that kind of effort either, so the whole team needs a revamping and some confidence boosting.
I hope this coaching staff is up to it, because the AU Family will not take much more. They've already talked about tying that goober AD from the tree on Toomer's Corner.

what is the story behind toomer's corner?  i keep reading about it.   
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2009, 09:01:48 PM »

Toomer's is a drugstore that sits on a corner in Auburn right across the street from  the campus. It has been there forever,like over a hundred years, and it still has the counter like drugstores used to have. I remember sitting there when I was a child. I bet I've had gallons of that lemonade. They make the BEST lemonade!  Right across from Toomer's are some big oak trees that fans roll with toilet paper when AU wins a game. They actually sell rolls of toilet paper at the stadium all nicely wrapped in AU packaging, for about 2 bucks.... .  Fans take  TP to Toomer's corner, and ....roll the trees. After a really big win, like AU over Bama, especially if it's a home game, the band comes to Toomers and plays and it's just an awesome thing to be a part of. The streets are blocked off and it's a huge party.
My kids love it! I love it! It's a lot of fun to roll a tree when it's sanctioned.....
Toomer's is a very old and beloved place in AU, and it's like the heart and soul of the campus area.

Here's a link that sort of shows what it's like and why everybody talks about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwY4EzDwTqs

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.