March 28, 2024, 10:12:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 256657 times)
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2009, 01:38:12 PM »

You gotta read this article on how Mike Leach at TX Tech handled a student who didn't want to study.  LMAO

From the Lincoln Journal Star BLOG:

Post details: Pelini, Leach bullish on academics
03/30/09
Permalink 08:05:07 am, Categories: -Football by Steve Sipple
Pelini, Leach bullish on academics

Bo Pelini has made a few appearances in classrooms in the past few weeks, checking to see if players are on hand and also making sure the players are taking notes and paying attention. Trust me, the Husker head coach takes this stuff seriously.

Evidently, so does Mike Leach.

According to the Lubbock (Texas) Avalanche-Journal, Leach emphasized the need for wideout Ed Britton to better tend to his schoolwork by making him study for 90 minutes on the field at Jones AT&T Stadium after the end of the Red Raiders' Friday practice.

Texas Tech managers brought out a desk and placed it on the field. The temperature was 30 degrees and it was snowing at the time of Britton's refresher course, the Avalanche-Journal reported.

"Ed didn't like showing up and studying at places I felt like he needed to and like the academic people asked him to, so he can go study out there on the 50-yard line," Leach told the newspaper. "We'll take baby steps, and if he does good studying out there, we'll decide if we're going to actually let him practice."

Leach said he expected Britton to remain out in the cold, studying for at least an hour and a half after his teammates had left the field for the locker room. Britton did not practice as punishment.

Britton caught 35 passes for 577 yards and six touchdowns last season and had 48 catches for 631 yards and four touchdowns in 2007.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2009, 11:26:39 PM »

I bet Ed will show up for study hall next time....

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2009, 12:02:54 AM »

O/T  AU's men's swimming and diving team won the NCAA title this weekend. Coach Quick has an inoperable brain tumor, so the team was very motivted to win it for him.  It's kind of a bittersweet time for the team and the coaches.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/c-swim/aub-c-swim-body.html

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2009, 08:19:37 AM »

O/T  AU's men's swimming and diving team won the NCAA title this weekend. Coach Quick has an inoperable brain tumor, so the team was very motivted to win it for him.  It's kind of a bittersweet time for the team and the coaches.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/c-swim/aub-c-swim-body.html

How fantastic and sad at the same time.  I'm glad they came thru for him.
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »

http://www.secfootball.itgo.com/arkansasmascot.html

this should answer a lot of arkansas traditions, including the woo pig sooiee. seems like it started in the 1920's. all i know, i have heard it all my life, i will never forget the first live game i went to, i did not feel strange at all calling the hogs....it was exhilarating!!!
the senior sidewalk.....names inscribed on sidewalks all over campus started in 1896...my husband and both my girls names are inscribed there. mine is not, since i just went 2 years of pre-pharmacy there. 2 of the most fun years i ever had!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #245 on: April 01, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »

Thanks cuz! I'm gonna go visit the link!

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2009, 08:20:05 AM »

Cuz - that is some OLD tradition.  Wow 1800s!  I am going to watch the video tonight.  Can't wait to learn more.

OK - here's another Husker tradition.  When the stadium was originally built in the late 1920s on one portion is an engraved quote something like  "Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football."   I don't know when it started... but at the end of each and every home game - win or lose fans on the side of the opposing team give them a standing ovation, high five them and tell them good game.  It blows them away.  It is really cool to see.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2009, 01:45:07 PM »

Former USC athlete's testing positive for steroids at NFL combines?  Say it ain't so...

Raji, Harvin, V. Davis fail drug tests

Rick Serritella, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Boston College DT B.J. Raji, Illinois CB Vontae Davis and Florida WR Percy Harvin failed drug tests for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Cushing, Matthews test positive for steroids

Rick Serritella, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Southern California LBs Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »

You don't think ol' Petey Poo or anyone on his team would be a part of any cheatin' do ya? 

Unfortunately, steroid use is widespread. Look at all the baseball players that are dirty. I'm sure college and pro football are just as infected as MLB.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »

http://www.secfootball.itgo.com/arkansasmascot.html

this should answer a lot of arkansas traditions, including the woo pig sooiee. seems like it started in the 1920's. all i know, i have heard it all my life, i will never forget the first live game i went to, i did not feel strange at all calling the hogs....it was exhilarating!!!
the senior sidewalk.....names inscribed on sidewalks all over campus started in 1896...my husband and both my girls names are inscribed there. mine is not, since i just went 2 years of pre-pharmacy there. 2 of the most fun years i ever had!

Cuz - that Senior Walk thing is NOT for seniors.. because it is five miles long.   
That is a hike.  Do you have to start at the beginning?  Are there any photos of that?  I bet it is cool. 
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #250 on: April 04, 2009, 06:39:01 PM »

Great Owl I am posting this for you... Barry A came to speak to our high school coaching clinic this weekend.  Nice tribute and some things I didn't know about him.  Enjoy!

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=3707123

He’s never publicly acknowledged this, but Barry Alvarez turned down the head football coaching job at Miami three times, and he rejected the head coaching job once at Oklahoma.

It takes some character to make those kinds of decisions, but Alvarez is, after all, a Nebraskan at heart, so don’t be so surprised.

“I feel like this is my home state . . . I really do,” said Alvarez, the former Wisconsin head football coach and now the school’s athletic director who roamed the hallways at the Nebraska athletic complex Friday afternoon before addressing 800 coaches Friday night at the 2009 Nebraska Football Coaches Clinic.

Entire article at link...
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »

Such cool stuff on the history of the programs and traditions, thanks for sharing!

As we know I don't reveal where son is, however some who have left SM and now share even my location, name, etc know where he plays? So nice of them, huh? One even went to one of son's games with me......all I can do is pray they have the decency to leave our children out of their disputes over differences of opinion regarding the Natalee case.

Anyway, first spring scrimmage was this weekend for son, and yes, he was injured. Knee injury but hopefully one that won't require surgery. We'll see......disappointing for him and since he's slated to start this fall we can only hope that won't derail that. Otherwise the team has some work to do based on the play Saturday but then we have a significant number of starters out due to injury.

I will say this, my parents met while students where son plays now, my father was a founding member of the sponsors club there and contributed a great deal over his lifetime. Every home game when the alma mater starts I fight back tears wishing my dad was still there to see him......but his nana is always there. She's such a trooper, we wheel her into her handicapped spot and rain or shine, she's front and center cheering him on. So I guess that's the biggest tradition for our family and his football team. 

I continue to stand with the girl.
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »

None please tell our Nascar that we are praying and rooting for a quick recovery.  No sidelines this year.  We expect much action.  It is his year to shine.  No injuries allowed.  Lots of time to heal.

We had 8 inches of snow this weekend... hard to imagine playing outside.   
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2009, 11:53:22 PM »

Bean, he was injured by a young freshman safety making a hit at his knees, needless to say the coaches were very unhappy with that young player. One has to wonder why he did something so stupid and deliberate?

oh well, no crying in baseball or football but it appears he may be okay with more rest and rehab, we'll see.

I spoke with NASCAR tonight, I told him you were counting on him grabbing his brass ring, he said "it is my time and I earned it".

Indeed he did 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2009, 08:19:58 AM »

Great.  Attitude will take him far.  Count on it.  Brass ring it is.

Its exciting reading about the progress of our team.  Can't wait to see them in 2 weeks.  I hope spring decides to show up so I don't have to show up in thermals. ha.  I keep hearing speed.  Seems like our new strength and cond. guy has made a big difference.  Course the Callahan regime was all about adding bulk - not muscle.   
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #255 on: April 07, 2009, 09:48:40 AM »

he called this morning, swelling has gone down considerably. It's bruised now but hopefully bursting that sac in his knee won't be a chronic injury, that's my biggest worry. He said his position coach said "thank heavens you aren't a whiney one" 

son imitates his position coach at times, he has a very distinctive voice and gets so exasperated with some of his players, funniest was when son imitated him saying in front of the whole team "last night I had to tell my ten year old daughter we won't have xmas this year because I'm gonna lose my job since (a player by name) won't go to class or work-out's, so I told her to just put up those catalogs with her wishes in them"

Yep Bean, it's all about speed these days and speed isn't measured in a straight line anymore either. 40 times matter during recruiting and for RB's yes those times matter, but for other players it's how quickly they can move laterally as well as a straight line. There are just so many intangibles to include the ability to really execute a play as designed (not as easy for some as for others), the strength and skill of the QB's, and how well the defense can anticipate and read the opposing offense. All probably rank equal to speed in some regards.....

I bet you have some SPEEDY fellas out there on the 18th, I"ll be pulling for a big improvement to make you smile all the way home !

casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2009, 12:38:24 AM »

Bean, he was injured by a young freshman safety making a hit at his knees, needless to say the coaches were very unhappy with that young player. One has to wonder why he did something so stupid and deliberate?

oh well, no crying in baseball or football but it appears he may be okay with more rest and rehab, we'll see.

I spoke with NASCAR tonight, I told him you were counting on him grabbing his brass ring, he said "it is my time and I earned it".

Indeed he did 

none, I didn't realize that your son had been hurt!  I hope he gets better soon!  My good thoughts and best wishes are with him! 
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2009, 03:50:46 AM »

I have yet to listen to the podcast from the Wisconsin Coaches about the upcoming spring practices.  I hope there is a QB out there or it is going to be a very long season.  I believe the rest of the team will have matured enough to return to the old form, but it will not make any difference if we do not find a consistent QB

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2009, 09:12:53 AM »

Indeed he did 

none, I didn't realize that your son had been hurt!  I hope he gets better soon!  My good thoughts and best wishes are with him! 

casa thank you for your kind care and concern, I appreciate it! Hopefully they won't push him to play too soon, even if he has to miss the spring game I am just worried this could be a chronic injury after speaking to the team doctor yesterday? It's a tough call but hopefully they will make the right decision, of course son is rehabbing hoping to play soon ! arrrgghh!

How is speedy? I was thinking the other night that if the news station in his area films any of the spring game that you might be able to watch that since the game is on a Friday? Typically those TD receptions make the news always !

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2009, 09:14:24 AM »

I have yet to listen to the podcast from the Wisconsin Coaches about the upcoming spring practices.  I hope there is a QB out there or it is going to be a very long season.  I believe the rest of the team will have matured enough to return to the old form, but it will not make any difference if we do not find a consistent QB

GO, I saw this on Rivals late last night, seems they have some faith in your coach?

7. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin
There are rumblings about how Wisconsin's record has gotten worse each season under Bielema: 12-1 to 9-4 to 7-6. Give the intense Bielema credit in that he has altered his offseason approach, looking to connect better with the players and enhance their development. More than anything, Bielema would be helped by the emergence of a quarterback in what shapes up a critical season in his career. Don't bet against the smart, hard-working Bielema getting the Badgers back on track.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=932723

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.