April 18, 2024, 09:09:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOOTBALL WITH FRIJOLE #2 9/01/09 - 8/14/10  (Read 257565 times)
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #460 on: July 09, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »

That guys is thinking, "Man that white guy is ripped!"  Send your son our here None and we can put him to work throwing bales of hay... that'll be the icing on the cake. ha. 

Sad news... a young kid at East Carolina died during practice workout today or yesterday... Coach Dennis Wagner was a Husker coach so it showed up on our board.  I don't know any more details.  Sad. 

Kiwi .. do we have a QB yet? 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #461 on: July 10, 2009, 08:14:11 AM »

Bean, his Nana had him rip up and pull out all the carpet in her home to ready it for sale, he carried it all out alone on his back  so hay bales might be a little light for him 

That player that died had just transferred from Georgia Military College to Western Carolina which is up in the mountains? This link says he was cramping before a workout so he was just stretching? It wasn't terrribly hot there yesterday, probably in the mid 80's to 90 tops?

It is sad, very sad, his family must be devastated. http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6906467

I continue to stand with the girl.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #462 on: July 10, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »

Good Grief! Carpet is very, very heavy! Most carpet layers use a helper for that very reason!

Maybe Nascar is a misnomer....and we should've called him Superman!

SuperNascar....

I too, feel sorry for this young man's family. Very sad.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #463 on: July 10, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »

I love you PDH, you're so good to my boy. Trust me, he's far from perfection though, he pushed a few of my not-happy buttons tonight via phone  He's very human, trying to work mom over for something !

I was wondering if Kiwi had heard anything about the QB situation too - calling Kiwi, any updates?

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #464 on: July 11, 2009, 03:28:25 AM »

Sorry to here about the kid in practice. Sometimes I can't believe my son can practice and play soccer at 110 and hotter. On a lighter note there was one recruit listed QB for Michigan. It doesn't appear that any changes to QB will be made from last year. So I'm starting to dust off the Dawg House for all the first game visitors! Hmm I better get my spot cleared off.

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #465 on: July 12, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »

Looks like AU picked up a great recruit on the defensive side. Given that CGC is a defensive genius, we may be tough to score on in a couple of years, and that will be right up my alley. I love those kinds of games. 

Kiwi....I'm probably gonna be a frequent visitor again this year, but hopefully I won't have to live on my fainting couch like last season. I'm still planning to pay that back rent, btw.... Monkey Devil!

Maybe RR has a QB1 plan that his fans aren't aware of at the moment. He's a good coach, so he has to have something in the works....

I was watching a show about the new MS. State coach, and I really liked what I saw. He painted a dark maroon line on the entrance to the field, and once a player crosses that line, he must always be running. No walking allowed once he's on the field. The kids seem excited by the new energy. I hated to see Coach Crooms booted out, because he is a wonderful coach, and a wonderful man, but the new guy is very likable too. The Bulldogs may be making a comeback very soon, and it will be so interesting to watch him rebuild a team that has been down for so long.

Nonesy - when does SuperNascar start practice? I might want him to come move some furniture first....

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #466 on: July 13, 2009, 10:43:04 PM »

I think Rodriguez does have something ready to roll at QB, there is too much pressure on any highly visible college coach from boosters, board room, etc not to. Maybe Kiwi will have a big surprise this season?

I am taking a never say never approach to the dawghouse this season, it could be me, it could be you. Seems even the pre-season reviews are already a crap shoot for us? Well all we can do is go up then 

PDH I hope you'll have some surprises too, you need to have some bright spots this season after a long drought.

I think they go into lockdown in the dorms the first week of August for the mandatory 3 weeks of practice? I didn't ask the exact date but I think that's correct - which means he has two short weeks of freedom left. I do know he's watching baseball tonight and eating some potato chips, I asked him if that was on his approved snack list (he's a snack nazi with me) 

You're welcome to borrow him to move furniture, he was having to clean out the crawl space under my mother's house late today and yard work - I know he would prefer liftin' and totin' instead 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #467 on: July 14, 2009, 11:41:06 PM »

EWWW!!  There's nasty critters under a house in the crawl space. I literally wouldn't do that job for a million dollars.   I tell ya.....SuperNascar is one gutsy kid!

It is hard to tell what's gonna happen for most programs. The last two years have seen so much upheaval everywhere.
About all I can say for sure is that it will be exciting, so I'm getting my Valium refilled a little earlier this year....if it's bad enough, I may upgrade to Xanax or Klonopin

I see Texas, OK St., FL, and possibly LSU as being very, very good teams. Everything else is up for grabs with me at this point.

I just can't tell yet who's gonna be the SEC dark horse in 2009, but I'm sure hoping it's AU!

Maybe Nascar's team can win his conference. I think it's very possible!

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »

Tom Osborne and others roast Bowden... enjoy... hate to see these great coaches retire.. so many memories.  TO and BB were pretty friendly and often visited each other for advice.  Good to see them having fun.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/07/16/bowden.roast/index.html?eref=si_topstories
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #469 on: July 24, 2009, 08:03:22 AM »

That is pretty cool Bean, I expect most of the coaches are enjoying a little bit of downtime while the assistants watch over things.

Well 8/1 is lockdown for son's team for three weeks in the dorm, two-a-days.........won't be long now. 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #470 on: July 24, 2009, 03:01:24 PM »

uh oh

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/07/24/sec-espn/index.html?bcnn=yes

De facto TV network will push SEC even further ahead of competitors

Sorry, Big Ten fans, but the SEC has trumped your conference yet again. This time, though, it didn't happen at a BCS bowl game. This time, SEC teams are invading the Big Ten's own turf -- and storming Big 12, Pac-10 and ACC country while they're at it.

This fall, the conference that's captured the past three national championships will begin an unprecedented assault on our nation's television sets. The 2009 season marks the beginning of a new 15-year, $2.25 billion contract with ESPN, which coincides with a 15-year, $825 million deal with CBS. At the SEC's preseason Media Days in Hoover, Ala., this week, league and ESPN officials unveiled the details of their new arrangement, and this much is clear: Whether you're in Alabama or Arizona, Michigan or Mississippi, you're about experience a deluge of SEC football.

Over the first four days of the season alone (Thursday-Monday, Sept. 3-6), seven games featuring SEC teams will air on either ABC (Alabama-Virginia Tech and Georgia-Oklahoma State), ESPN (LSU-Washington and Ole Miss-Memphis) or ESPNU (Kentucky-Miami Ohio, Mississippi State-Jackson State and Auburn-Louisiana Tech). In most cases, a customized "SEC ESPN" on-screen logo will not so subtly remind fans which conference they're watching.

But that's just the start. As part of the deal, ESPN also picked up rights to the syndicated league games previously held by Raycom, most notably the old Jefferson Pilot Game of the Week that traditionally aired at 12:30 p.m. ET on local affiliates across the South. In the past, SEC alums living outside the region needed a satellite package to view those games.
MANDEL: TV deal details, by conference

However, ESPN Regional Television has launched a new syndicated package that will place those games in a reported 58 percent of homes across the country, including major markets such as Los Angeles, Washington, Dallas, Detroit and Philadelphia. Even Columbus, Ohio, signed on. The first such contest, Tennessee versus Western Kentucky on Sept. 5, will be available in nearly twice as many homes nationally (66 million) as the Penn State-Akron game being aired in the same noon ET time slot on the Big Ten Network (35 million). The ESPNU games will reach 45 million homes.

"At the core of our agreement is the fact that every SEC-controlled football game will be available to SEC fans throughout the conference territory, and indeed the country, via an ESPN platform or through our partners," said John Wildhack, ESPN's executive vice president for programming acquisition and strategy.

The SEC's new deals carry significant implications across college football. For all the discussion lately about the financial inequities of the BCS, schools are still far more reliant on regular-season TV revenue than bowl revenue. To that end, the SEC will now tower over most competitors, with each school earning roughly $17 million a year from the new deals. ACC teams, by comparison, currently split a pot nearly two-thirds smaller (an average of $6.1 million per school).

At a time when most schools and conferences are slashing budgets due to the poor economy, SEC programs suddenly have more resources at their disposal. Defending national champion Florida is adding $5.9 million to its athletic budget next year and still had enough left over to kick in $6 million to the university's general fund.

Meanwhile, there's no quantifying the potential recruiting exposure gained nationally. While teams like Florida, Alabama, LSU and Georgia can stock their rosters largely with the talent in their own backyard, less-visible teams such as Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Mississippi State can now tell a recruit in, say, Houston to tune in to its game Saturday -- even if it's not on CBS or ESPN.

"It's a hugely important exposure for the SEC," said TV sports consultant Neal Pilson, the former president of CBS Sports. "ESPN has made the business judgment, which is probably correct, that SEC football is a very exciting product that will find a market in non-traditional SEC cities."

For more than a year prior to reaching the new agreements, SEC officials seriously considered following the Big Ten's lead and creating their own 24-hour sports channel. After some initial difficulties reaching cable agreements, the two-year-old Big Ten Network (which airs approximately 35 football games annually) is now available on most major cable carriers. Last year the channel grossed $66 million in revenue for the league, which also has a 10-year, $1 billion deal with ABC/ESPN.

In the end, however, ESPN execs put a hard sell on SEC commissioner Mike Slive, promising to provide the conference a de facto network of its own. So far, they seem to be backing up their word. The name of the league's new syndicated package? The SEC Network.

"The SEC is king," Wildhack told the Orlando Sentinel. "This deal gives us an opportunity to associate ourselves with the preeminent athletic conference in the country. With all due respect to other conferences, there's a passion and a fervor here that is unique."

Pilson was at CBS in the mid-'90s when the network first acquired rights to the SEC. At the time, CBS regionalized many SEC and Big East games. It seemed inconceivable then that a league whose nine-state home turf comprises about 10 percent of the population would eventually establish a national television presence rivaling that of the Big Ten, whose home markets comprise a whopping 40 percent of the nation's TV homes.

For nearly two decades, Notre Dame has been the lone school that could boast every one of its games was on national television. Soon, Florida and LSU may be able to do the same.

"I didn't see [the SEC] becoming as big as it did," said Pilson. "Some of the credit goes to CBS, some of it goes to ESPN, and some of it goes to the quality of play in the SEC. It's fast, entertaining, high-quality football, and they have an influence now that goes well beyond the nine SEC states."

CBS will retain first choice of SEC football games beginning in mid-September. Meanwhile, fans in the South can watch even the lowest-rung SEC games if they so desire, with regional networks Fox Sports South (Florida-Charleston Southern) and CSS (Vanderbilt-Western Carolina) picking up rights to ESPN's other syndicated games opening weekend. Only Arkansas (facing Missouri State) will have to resort to locally produced pay-per-view that Saturday.

Meanwhile, ESPN will also be upping its SEC basketball coverage -- which in the past took a noticeable backseat to the ACC, Big East, Big Ten and Big 12 -- with the SEC Network package will include Wednesday and Saturday hoops games as well. Slive said ESPN will produce an average of 365 SEC events per year.

"We have been able to achieve [all of our] goals without the challenges associated with the development of a channel," said Slive.

Other conferences preparing for upcoming contract renegotiations are furiously strategizing the best way to keep pace. Earlier this week, Sports Business Journal reported the ACC (whose current deals expire in 2011), Pac-10 (2012) and Big 12 (2012/2016) have talked with various media entities about the possibility of a new channel that would combine programming from multiple conferences.

"The Big Ten set up the situation for the SEC," Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe -- who previously indicated his league will look into starting its own network -- told Sports Business Journal. "I'm not sure if that kind of deal will continue to be available for the rest of us with that kind of money."

The implications are obvious: The SEC, already considered by most the nation's strongest conference, has secured the resources to set itself even further apart from its competitors. It's only a matter of time before some of the competitors start grumbling.

Once upon a time, it was SEC fans and coaches who complained about ABC/ESPN's preferential treatment of other conferences. In 1997, Tennessee fans accused the networks of pushing Michigan's Charles Woodson for the Heisman over Peyton Manning, and in 2005, then Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville, a year removed from his undefeated team's BCS title snub, bemoaned "ESPN has gotten so much power lately, it's kinda scary." (Ironically, Tuberville now works as an analyst for the network.)

ESPN's promotional powers are well known. With so much money invested in its SEC properties, the network will undoubtedly roll out a relentless marketing push to support them. It's easy to foresee a scenario where paranoid Texas or USC supporters raise similar concerns if their team winds up in a late-season national-title jumble that includes an SEC power.

There's really only one tangible form of recourse for rival teams and conferences worried about the SEC's potential stranglehold: win big. If TV deals were based solely on fan passion, the SEC would have secured its spot years ago. The biggest reason ESPN is rolling out the red carpet now is because of the league's recent on-field success -- three straight BCS titles and five in 11 years.

"We are witness to ... a period that someday may be called the SEC's Golden Age," said Slive.

He just cashed the golden ticket to prove it.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »

Wow!   

I won't get anything done around the house, and I'll be glued to the TV 24/7, and my family will have to do an intervention.....

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #472 on: July 27, 2009, 07:46:09 AM »

Doesn't have much of an impact around here.  With the Big Ten Network I get to see what I wish anyway.  I enjoy watching good football regardless of the conference.  As long as they televise good games everyone wins.  Unfortunately, we have been strapped with "Notre Dame" games around here for too long. 

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #473 on: July 27, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »

Doesn't have much of an impact around here.  With the Big Ten Network I get to see what I wish anyway.  I enjoy watching good football regardless of the conference.  As long as they televise good games everyone wins.  Unfortunately, we have been strapped with "Notre Dame" games around here for too long. 
Ditto on that. Although watching Michigan play on TV here in the west is unlikely. At least there will be some games worth watching now. The Wolverines were coming very close to Notre Dame coverage. But at 3-9, U of M will need to earn some of that coverage back. So while that's happening I'll be rooting for all of the SM teams. Go- Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Wisconsin, E Carolina, Texas and of course Nebraska!

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #474 on: July 27, 2009, 08:58:25 PM »

Me too Kiwi!  I'm really looking forward to this new season, and this fresh start for all the teams.

WDE!!

Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #475 on: July 28, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

So Happy Birthday None!!!!!! 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #476 on: July 28, 2009, 09:09:28 PM »

Well nonesy.....you sly little devil! Monkey Devil!

I had no idea it was your birthday! 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NONE!!!!

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #477 on: July 28, 2009, 09:24:59 PM »

Happy 29th!

Yesireeeeee this will be our 4th season together right?  Holy moly.

I just watched an awesome video which I'll share for anyone looking for some history, hard mouth smash em up football and a feisty locker room speech from Bo.  Its new - highlights of best plays ever.  Enjoy.  Getting close guys! 

GO Barry Alvarez is in the very beginning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDED6eUlbMk
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #478 on: July 29, 2009, 07:49:19 AM »

oh golly Kiwi, PDH, and Bean - I didn't even look at this thread until now. Thank you for the birthday wishes, honestly I try not to publicize them now due to old age !!  Son called Monday to wish me a happy one, asked me to tell him how old I am, then he said loudly "I'm sorry". 

He's coming home after his exam on Friday and wants to cook me a shrimp dinner. I told him if I could just get a nap and catch up on sleep we could forget food 

Thanks to each of you for your kind wishes, I do appreciate it. Now, when are your birthdays? 

Bean I have to flee to work now but I will come back to watch the Bo video. Bean does love her some Bo 

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #479 on: July 29, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »

Glad you had a nice day None.  Don't work too hard.

Re Bo ... believe it or not he is somewhat of a mystery still.  He doesn't say a whole lot during press conf and with his fiery personality you just have to wonder what he says in the locker room... It confirmed what I assumed... same bad axx attitude. 

No one likes to see their team look like a bunch of scaredy cats... which is where we were. 

Lots of new coaches this year so it will be fun to watch how it all progresses.  Wishing everyone a wonderful healthy season!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.