April 20, 2024, 04:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCU Chief, Sgt. Faron White-Missing 1/2/09 Decatur, AL (FOUND & ARRESTED)  (Read 3545 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: January 05, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »

DECATUR, Ala. --

Authorities searched Monday for the head of a northern Alabama city's organized crime unit, who was last seen working late Friday and then vanished, leaving signs of a struggle in his office.

Investigators don't know whether the disappearance of Sgt. Faron White was linked to his Decatur police duties, which include handling most of its narcotics cases and enforcing alcohol laws, a police spokesman said.

"There are multiple scenarios that could have taken place, and it may or may not have been related to his job," said Lt. Jonathan Green. "At this time we are still trying to figure that out."

A statement from Decatur police listed White as "missing/endangered," and local, state and federal investigators were included in the search.

White's squad of four or five officers investigates conspiracies involving drugs, gambling, prostitution, money laundering and other crimes in Decatur, a city of about 55,000 on the Tennessee River.

White, 48, was last seen about 8 p.m. Friday by firefighters who work in the same training building as his office, Green said. His family reported him missing early Saturday when he didn't return home.

Officers found "distinct signs" of a struggle in White's office and believe he was involved, Green said. But White did not make a distress call by telephone or radio. Green declined comment on what evidence was found in the office, where White was working alone.

A rescue squad spent Sunday searching an area near the Tennessee River for signs of White, but Green said the hunt was out of caution, not because of any tip. They used a helicopter in the search.

"That was just done out of an effort to look anywhere and everywhere he can be," he said. Authorities also used a helicopter to look for White but found nothing.

The American Legion honored White as Decatur's police officer of the year in 2007, crediting his unit with seizing more than $100,000 worth of cash, weapons and property from drug dealers.

"Sgt. White is a very well-respected officer in our department," said Green.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Alabama-Organized-Crime-Unit-Chief-Missing/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:54:13 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:38:37 AM »

Chief of Organized Crime Unit Considered 'Endangered/Missing'
Published 13 hours ago, by ■ Nikki Weingartner

The chief of an Alabama organized crime unit, Sgt. Faron White, is being listed as "missing/endangered" following evidence of a struggle in his office. He was last seen working late on Friday, January 2. His family reported him missing early Saturday.

In a case that has many local, state and federal officials still searching for Decatur Police Sgt. Faron White, 48, there is some speculation that his disappearance could be related to the nature of his job, according to news reports.

On Friday night, White was seen working at around 8 p.m. by some firefighters who worked in the same building as White. Other reports show that the last time he was seen was at 11:30 p.m. He was reported missing early Saturday by his family after he didn't come home.

Investigators say there were "distinct signs" of a struggle in his office that indicate he was involved. However, no distress calls were said to have been made and the investigators have not released comments regarding the evidence found in his office.

Sgt. White's unit worked on cases involving mostly narcotics and alcohol enforcement, but also involved gambling, prostitution, money laundering and murder for hire. His unit was honored in 2007 due to their seizing over $100,000 US in cash, weapons and other property from drug dealers.

It is not clear whether his disappearance was directly related to the job, however, investigators are still trying to determine exactly what happened. They did search the area near the Tennessee River out of caution but so far, there has been no evidence or reported leads in the case of the missing police officer.

Additional details surrounding the search are:

White is described as 5 feet 6, about 200 pounds with brown hair and hazel eyes. He was last seen wearing a gray T-shirt over a tan long-sleeve short.

Police ask anyone with information to call a special tip hot line, (256) 341-4717.

A very frightening situation for a man who was considered very "well-respected."
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/264612

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:02:50 PM »

Missing Decatur Officer Found 

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 11:23 AM

The search for missing Decatur Police officer Faron White is over.

48 year-old Sgt Faron White is charged with first degree theft after police say he staged his disappearance.

His family reported him missing after he never made it home after work at the Decatur Police Academy and Training Center.

Decatur police say Sgt. White took $2,500 from the department and staged a struggle in his office.

They say he then fled to Las Vegas, where he was arrested by U.S. Marshals at 11:15 pst at a Hampton Inn where he was staying.

His alleged accomplice, 28 year-old Sarah Richardson, is charged with hindering prosecution in the case. She was arrested last night at her home and is being held for $2,500 bond.

Sgt. White is being held at the Clark County Detention Center in Nevada for $20,000 bond.

They may be both charged with more crimes as more details come available.
http://www.waaytv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9622252
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Missing Decatur Officer Arrested in Las Vegas

January 6, 2009

Sgt. Faron White has been arrested.

On Monday, police discovered that Sgt. White staged his disappearance with the help of Sarah Elizabeth Richardson.

Sgt. White had stolen $2500 from the the Decatur Police Department.

Police say his office was staged to look as if a physical altercation had taken place. According to police, Sgt. White fled to Las Vegas. Police issued an arrest warrant after learning about his crime.

Police say they found out that Sgt. White was staying at a Hampton Inn in Las Vegas. According to the press release, White was arrested in the lobby of the hotel on Monday night. Police say Sgt. White was taken into custody without incident.

Sarah Richardson has been charged with first degree hindering prosecution or apprehension for assisting Sgt. White in his flight. Police arrested Richardson at her residence.

The Decatur Police Department requested that Sgt. White's bond be increased for the charge of first degree theft to $20,000. Police say White and Richardson may be charged with additional crimes pending further investigation.

Sgt. White's family reported his missing on Saturday after he did not return home from work on Friday night.
http://www.whnt.com/Global/story.asp?S=9622308

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »

'Nobody saw this coming'                        unbelievable
Wednesday, January 07, 2009

DECATUR - The pressures of gambling debts, domestic problems and family health problems contributed to Decatur police Sgt. Faron White's decision to steal money confiscated from drug cases and fake his abduction Friday night to head to Las Vegas, where he would to try to win back the stolen money.

Today White, a 22-year department veteran, sits in a Las Vegas jail cell charged with theft, after his female accomplice - with whom he had a romantic relationship - told police late Monday night where he was. White could face more charges when he is returned to Decatur.

Decatur Police Chief Ken Collier at a Tuesday afternoon news conference at Decatur City Hall laid out what led authorities to arrest White in the lobby of a Las Vegas Hampton Inn late Monday night.

"Nobody saw this coming," Collier said.

White, who supervised the department's Organized Crime Unit, was last seen Friday night in his office in the department's Training Center in the former Flint City Elementary School.

Police found signs of a struggle in the office that led them to think that White could be in danger. But there were other signs that the scene may have been staged to create the appearance of a struggle, Collier said.

He said the investigation ran on two tracks - that White could be in danger and that it was staged - until U.S. Marshals "laid eyes" on White in the hotel lobby.

Collier said that police now think that White and Sarah Richardson turned over furniture and knocked items off White's desk to create the appearance of a struggle.

White and Richardson drove to Nashville, where White took an airplane to Las Vegas, Collier said. Richardson planned to meet White in Las Vegas later, he said.

Richardson had been a volunteer with the Police Department for several years. She had worked the past several months in White's office doing clerical work and helping build a database of suspected methamphetamine dealers, Collier said.

Richardson told detectives of the plan when they questioned her late Monday night, Collier said.

"It moved pretty fast after that interview," he said.

Police obtained an arrest warrant for White and issued a national bulletin for him, Collier said.

The U.S. Marshal's Service Fugitive Investigative Strike Team (FIST) spotted White in the lobby of the Hampton Inn, where he was registered under an alias, and took him into custody without incident about two hours later at about 1:15 a.m. CST.

White, 48, is charged with first-degree theft. He is expected to be in court in Las Vegas Thursday and waive extradition to Alabama, Collier said.

Collier and Morgan County District Attorney Bob Burrell said White's bond would be set at $20,000 when he is returned, but Burrell will ask that the bond be increased because White is a known flight risk.

Richardson, 29, was charged with first-degree hindering prosecution or apprehension and is in the Morgan County Jail, Collier said.

Collier said White may have stolen several more thousand dollars from the unit's safe over a period before taking $2,500 Friday night. Officials will review the rules and regulations about the management of seized drug money, he said.

White knew that the money would have to be replaced or he would go to jail, Collier said. White was due to submit a year-end report that Collier said could have revealed the missing money, he said.

"Sooner or later the hammer was going to fall, and he couldn't get out of the box," Collier said.

Collier said he couldn't "go inside" White's mind to explain White's actions other than it was the stress White faced personally and professionally.

"It caused him to make some bad decisions," Collier said.

He said he didn't know why White went to Las Vegas, other than to try to turn the $2,500 into enough winnings to cover the money he had stolen.

Police learned during the investigation that White's gambling trips to Tunica, Miss., had become more frequent.

"We know he lost some money in Tunica in the past few months," Collier said.

Mayor Don Stanford and Collier both said they hope the case doesn't damage the Police Department's credibility, and they encouraged members of the department and the Organized Crime Unit to "keep their heads up" and continue doing the fine work that they do.

"This is a sad day for our department," Stanford said. "I know it's a disappointment for the people in our department."

Becky McNutt, who runs Billy's Mini-Market on Sixth Avenue, called the case "a sad situation all the way around."

"His family's put in the middle of it. The department's put in the middle of it," she said. "There's going to be a lot of gossip and talk."

Jeff Sharp, a bartender at The Brick Deli located downtown, said he overheard several customers talking about the outcome of the case Tuesday.

"I couldn't believe it," he said. "Everybody thought this guy was dead. The entire kitchen was talking about it. What we were talking about was the low amount of money" that White is accused of stealing and taking to Las Vegas.

Mike Worley, a police procedure consultant and retired police chief, said White's actions are no different from any employee who steals from an employer.

"It's similar to when you have a bookkeeper who has access to money and chooses to dishonor the trust put to them and take from the company," said Worley, who has followed national news coverage of White's arrest.

Worley said it's not common but not unheard of for officers to steal from their departments. He investigated the case of a officer stealing money from a department's evidence room.

"He took quite a bit of money. He had bills and other debts - the same classic reasons people give for stealing or embezzling money," he said.

But for this amount of $2,500, Worley said, "it is very strange."
http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/local.ssf?/base/news/1231323374135050.xml&coll=1

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.