March 28, 2024, 11:08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renee Pernice, 35yr old, mom of 3. Kansas City, Missouri, missing since 1/1/09  (Read 35430 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: January 05, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »

http://www.kctv5.com/news/18411800/detail.html

Family Concerned About Missing Woman
Northland Woman Not Seen Since Last Week

POSTED: 6:58 am CST January 5, 2009
UPDATED: 10:10 am CST January 5, 2009

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Police and family members are searching for a Kansas City woman who hasn't been seen or heard from in days.

Renee Pernice disappeared late last week.

The 35-year-old's friends and family members have been posting fliers in her Northland neighborhood on Northwest 66th Terrace near 169 Highway.

The wife and mother of three was a nurse at St. Luke's hospital and teaches nursing students.

Renee's father, Rick Pretz, said he is growing increasingly concerned as each hour passes. He said it's not like Pernice to just take off. He last spoke with Pernice on New Year's Day.

Police said Pernice's husband last saw her on Friday morning.

Family members describe Pernice as a slender woman who is about 5 feet 7 inches tall, with blue eyes and shoulder-length brunette hair.

If you have seen Renee Pernice, call the Crime Stoppers TIPS Hot Line at 816-474-TIPS (8477), text TIP452 plus a message to CRIMES (274637) or submit a tip online at kccrimestoppers.com.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:19:40 AM by klaasend » Logged
jaggard19
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »

http://www.kctv5.com/news/18411800/detail.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Police and family members are searching for a Kansas City woman who hasn't been seen or heard from in days.

Renee Pernice disappeared late last week.

The 35-year-old's friends and family members have been posting fliers in her Northland neighborhood on Northwest 66th Terrace near 169 Highway.

The wife and mother of three was a nurse at St. Luke's hospital and teaches nursing students.

Renee's father, Rick Pretz, said he is growing increasingly concerned as each hour passes. He said it's not like Pernice to just take off. He last spoke with Pernice on New Year's Day.

Police said Pernice's husband last saw her on Friday morning.

Family members describe Pernice as a slender woman who is about 5 feet 7 inches tall, with blue eyes and shoulder-length brunette hair.

If you have seen Renee Pernice, call the Crime Stoppers TIPS Hot Line at 816-474-TIPS (8477), text TIP452 plus a message to CRIMES (274637) or submit a tip online at kccrimestoppers.com.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/965417.html

Posted on Mon, Jan. 05, 2009
Police suspect foul play in Northland woman's disappearance
By GLENN E. RICE
The Kansas City Star

Police, friends and family members continued their search today for a 35-year-old Northland woman who has been missing for several days.

Renee Pernice was last seen by her husband on Friday morning, family members told police. Investigators said today that they now believe that foul play may have been a factor in her disappearance.

Officer Darin Snapp said someone walking near Sixth Street and Gladstone Boulevard on Saturday found Pernice’s cell phone. Officers then canvassed the area, seeking information about Pernice’s whereabouts.

Few details were available. However, family members said it unlike Pernice to be away from her children for such a long time.

“It would just be out of character for Renee to take off and leave her kids,” said Pernice’s father, Rick Pretz. “Your mind goes to foul play because it is not her character to pull up on her responsibility to her children.”

Family members describe Pernice as a slender woman who is about 5 feet, 7 inches tall with blue eyes and shoulder-length brunette hair.

Anyone with information should call the TIPS hotline at 816-474-TIPS (474-8477).

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 01:39:20 AM »

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Family-of-Missing-Mother-Fears-the-Worst/nz4lpDV1Y0emiYHrn0HMDg.cspx

Family of Missing Mother Fears the Worst
  Reported by: Mike Marusarz
Email: marusarz@nbcactionnews.com
Last Update: 1/05 11:18 pm 

Renee Pernice
Related Links
Kansas City Police Search for Missing Mother
KANSAS CITY NORTH, Mo. - Concern continues to mount north of the river Monday night where a mother is still missing.

Her disappearance was reported to police Friday. Police are still unsure what happened to 35-year-old Renee Pernice. No one answered the door to her northland home Monday. No one seems to know where she is.

Her purse and car are still at the house but her cell phone was found on Independence Avenue.

The children's swings are still and eerie quietness smoothers 66th Terrace and Holly Street. Neighbors know mom still isn't home.

"I thought well, it's something you hear about but it's not something you think would happen in your neighborhood," explained Butch Miller.

He watched Renee and Shon Pernice move in 10 years ago. He witnessed the family tree spout three children now ages 6, 8 and 11. Late last week Miller reported their front yard was filled with family time as the couple watched their children play.

"I walked up the street and they were out there in the front yard and they just said hi to me,” said Miller.

By Friday night missing poster signs replaced happiness. Renee's children say she went missing Friday morning.

Tammy Steinkopff lives across the street from the Pernices.

"Her brother came in and started asking questions. We had just come home from shopping and he started asking questions," she said.

"Renee is a stable individual. She's a nurse and went on and got a master's degree in nursing and now teaches nursing," explained Renee’s father Rick Pretz.

Pretz said recently cracks began developing in her marriage.

The couple filed for divorce in 2005, but reconciled. However, they were about to file again. Shon does have an attorney lined up, but the attorney will not speak to the police.

But neighbors who spoke to us never spotted evidence of problems. Neighbors say Shon, Renee's husband, serves in the Missouri National Guard and returned from duty in Iraq last year. Now a family including three young children waits for Renee to return home.

“Her three kids and all of a sudden she's gone. Something, something is not right," said Miller.

Police recovered Renee’s cell phone over the weekend in the northeast area of Kansas City. Her car remains in the garage.

Family members called it “uncharacteristic” of her to do something like this.

Renee is described as tall and slender, about 5 foot 7, weighing 140-145 pounds, with brunette hair longer than her shoulders and blue eyes.

Anyone with information about Renee’s whereabouts should call the TIPS Hotline at (816) 474-TIPS or submit an anonymous tip online
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:52:11 AM »

Thank you for merging ... I intended to do that yesterday and got sidetracked. Or did I do it and forgot I did it?? ... 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
K9-Chaser
Scared Monkey

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »

Thank you for merging ... I intended to do that yesterday and got sidetracked. Or did I do it and forgot I did it?? ... 
So Nut44X4, are you really from Maine?  Was surprised to see someone from Maine on this thread.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »

I am. In fact, we have quite a few Mainers here at the Scared Monkeys forum! It's true! LoL!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
jaggard19
Scared Monkey

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 03:39:53 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,477465,00.html

Husband being questioned "through his attorney".

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 08:43:55 AM »

The Kansas City Star (Missouri)

January 8, 2009 Thursday 

Missing mom's marriage was troubled

Jan. 8--Shon Pernice doesn't know where his wife is and, although they've had troubles, prays she returns soon for the sake of their three children, his attorney said Wednesday.

No one has seen Pernice's 35-year-old wife, Renee M. Pernice, since Friday. The woman's father, Rick Pretz, and police speculate that foul play was involved in the woman's disappearance.

Investigators have spent several days searching for evidence near the couple's Northland home. No arrests have been made, and no suspects were in custody. Police found her cell phone Saturday near Sixth Street and Gladstone Avenue in the Northeast area of Kansas City.

Pernice's lawyer, Kevin Baldwin, said Wednesday that he has instructed his client not to comment publicly about his wife's disappearance or allow to police to interview him because Pernice feels he is being blamed for her disappearance. Pernice has allowed police to search his van and locker at work, Baldwin said.

Baldwin said Pernice feels helpless.

"He misses her; he wants her back even if she chooses not to be with him; she needs to be there for the kids," he said.

Shon Pernice was asleep in the basement when he said that about 9 a.m. Friday Renee told him she was leaving. He assumed she went for a walk or left with friends or family, Baldwin said. Their children had spent the night with neighbors.

Baldwin said Shon Pernice was supposed to leave that day for a two-week National Guard training session.

Shon Pernice told Baldwin he did not know what Renee was wearing when she left but later realized she had taken her wallet and keys. He talked to police Saturday, took the children to relatives and searched the neighborhoods surrounding their home, Baldwin said.

The couple had been married for about a decade and experienced the challenges most couples routinely experience, he said. Renee Pernice had filed for divorce in 2005 but filed for a dismissal in January 2007.

They hit a rough patch after Shon Pernice, who is an Independence firefighter, recently returned home from a tour of duty in Iraq. They discussed a possible separation, but things had gone well during the holidays, and Baldwin said his client assumed everything was fine.

Pretz declined to comment about his daughter's marriage.

He said family members became concerned Saturday after Renee Pernice's sister phoned the North Kansas City residence and was told that Renee had been gone for some time. Pretz said he and other family members then went to the North Patrol Division to file a missing person's report. They also asked police to accompany them to search the couple's home, which they had keys to, he said.

Although Shon Pernice was not home, family members and police searched through belongings and looked for phone numbers to ask friends where they thought Pernice might have gone, Pretz said.

Shon Pernice showed up later with his attorneys, and they were told to leave, Pretz said.

"We fear something bad has happened. It is unbelievable to feel she walked off and leave her children," he said.
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:907889434&start=5

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 01:08:10 AM »

http://www.kctv5.com/news/18438961/detail.html

Police Seeking Missing Woman Search Home
Husband Believes Wife Is Alive, Attorney Says; Police Suspect Foul Play

POSTED: 12:16 pm CST January 8, 2009
UPDATED: 6:46 pm CST January 8, 2009

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Police investigating the disappearance of a Kansas City woman searched a wooded area Thursday, then executed a search warrant at her home.

Renee M. Pernice's father reported her missing on Saturday. Her father said he'd last spoken to the married 35-year-old mother on New Year's Day.

A man found her cell phone on Saturday near Sixth Street and Gladstone Avenue and called him.

Police have said they suspect foul play in her disappearance, as have members of her family, but investigators haven't named any suspects in the case.

"I don't think that, I don't think that she left on her own," her father Fridrick Pretz said.

On Thursday, as investigators combed a wooded area near Cliff Drive and Gladstone Avenue -- a few blocks from where her cell phone was found -- Eric Vernon, an attorney for Pernice's husband, Shon Pernice, said, "Shon is deeply concerned and worried about his wife. He believes she is still alive."

Renee Pernice's parents, stepparents and siblings were on hand for the search. Shon Pernice was not, and Renee Pernice's family said they hadn't been able to reach him or their grandchildren by phone, but Shon Pernice's attorney said he had been trying to reach out to the family.

Linda Lockwood, her mother, said they were staying close to the search area in case anything was found.

"It's the worst you can imagine," Lockwood said. "It's just constant fear."

Later Thursday, police executed a search warrant at the couple's home in the 1100 block of Northwest 66th Terrace. They said it was the first time they'd been able to go through their house.

Shon Pernice and his children left the home without incident as police searched inside.

Capt. Rich Lockhart, of the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department said, "Detectives are now going through the house with crime scene technicians to see if there is any physical evidence inside the house that might help us with this missing person investigation."
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 12:08:04 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479094,00.html

Bomb Squad Called to Home of Missing Missouri Mom
Saturday , January 10, 2009

A bomb squad was dispatched to the home of a missing Missouri mom during a search after a hand grenade was found.

The hollowed-out grenade was found Friday in a gun safe in the house Renee Pernice shared with her husband, Army Sgt. Shon Pernice, according to MyFOXKC.com. It turned out to be disarmed. The safe belongs to Shon Pernice.

Neighbors were asked to stay inside until the Kansas City Police Bomb Squad was finished investigating, MyFOXKC.com reported.

Investigators planned to continue their search of the home on Saturday, according to the Kansas City Star.

Renee Pernice was last seen Jan. 2 by her husband, who says she left home about 9 a.m. that morning but he doesn't remember where she told him she was going. Her cell phone was found in a park about 12 to 15 miles from her home.

The search warrant was executed Friday at the house in Northland, Mo. Authorities said it could last for 24 to 36 hours.

The disappearance of the mother of three has been called suspicious. Police say they suspect foul play. No arrests have been made.

Shon Pernice has only spoken to detectives through his attorney. He recently returned from service in Iraq and has said he has been suffering from stress. The couple had been having marital problems.

Anyone with any information about the missing woman is asked to call the TIPS Hotline at (816) 474-TIPS.
dasani
Scared Monkey

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »

Actually, there is no "Northland" Missouri.  It is in Kansas City, Missouri, north of the river, and in Kansas City we call anything north of the river the "northland" or North Kansas City.

On the local news at 5 today, they said that SHON took the 2 boys next door on Thursday night and asked if they could spend the night; said that he wanted to spend a quiet night with his wife before he reported for National Guard duty on Friday.  The neighbor took the boys back to their house about noon on Friday. 

It was reported that a neighbor saw Renee lets the dogs out about 9 a.m. Friday morning, but I'm beginning if they are sure that they saw Renee, and also wondering when the last verified sighting of Renee was.

There is going to be a shoulder-to-shoulder search by 75 volunteers on Monday.  This was also reported on the 5 o'clock local Kansas City news.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 01:22:28 AM »

Actually, there is no "Northland" Missouri.  It is in Kansas City, Missouri, north of the river, and in Kansas City we call anything north of the river the "northland" or North Kansas City.

On the local news at 5 today, they said that SHON took the 2 boys next door on Thursday night and asked if they could spend the night; said that he wanted to spend a quiet night with his wife before he reported for National Guard duty on Friday.  The neighbor took the boys back to their house about noon on Friday. 

It was reported that a neighbor saw Renee lets the dogs out about 9 a.m. Friday morning, but I'm beginning if they are sure that they saw Renee, and also wondering when the last verified sighting of Renee was.

There is going to be a shoulder-to-shoulder search by 75 volunteers on Monday.  This was also reported on the 5 o'clock local Kansas City news.

Thanks for the clarification on "Northland" I fixed the header. Welcome to Scared Monkeys!

Personally I don't have a good feeling about this.  I have a feeling the husband had a flashback or freaked out or just plain got mad and harmed her.  I don't think she'll be found alive. 
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 08:46:58 AM »

Last Update: 1/10 4:49 pm
Dozens Plan to Search for Missing Metro Mom
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Seventy-five people will search an open area near the Pernice home Monday.

Renee Pernice, 35, has been missing since last Friday. Police searched Reservoir Park and the Pernice home throughout the week. They removed bags of evidence from the Northland house but won't disclose many details.

Monday's search will involve police, Renee's family, friends and a group of volunteer roofers.

The plan is to meet at an undisclosed location.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/mostpopular/story/Dozens-Plan-to-Search-for-Missing-Metro-Mom/s83CQgNDUUCVC0wl6FfCKQ.cspx

dasani
Scared Monkey

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »

Thanks for the clarification on "Northland" I fixed the header. Welcome to Scared Monkeys!

Personally I don't have a good feeling about this.  I have a feeling the husband had a flashback or freaked out or just plain got mad and harmed her.  I don't think she'll be found alive. 

I don't think it was a flashback or a freakout.  I think he is just plain weird.  That is what I have heard from people who know him and/or Renee.  Apparently her friends have begged Renee to get away from him but she didn't know whether she was in more danger staying with him or dealing with whatever retaliation there would be from him if she tried to leave him.  The week prior to her death she had told him that she was filing for divorce again and she told him when he got back from his National Guard duty she would have his things packed and out of the house.  This is what has been told to me by people who knew Renee.  Also said that Shon was fascinated with death and killing and loved being in the military because he loved the blood and guts and gore.  He was fired from a hospital (where he was a med tech) for stealing the remaining narcotics left in vials after the dose had been given to the patient.  These are things I am hearing from people who know Shon and/or Renee.

On the local news last night they reported that their two boys stayed at the next door on Thursday, Jan. 1. and that SHON is the one who took them next door and asked if they could spend the night because he wanted a quiet night alone with his wife before he reported for National Guard duty the next day.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 01:00:10 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479775,00.html

Family and Friends Gather for Another Search of Missing Missouri Mom, Husband Doesn't Participate
Tuesday , January 13, 2009

Family and friends of a missing Missouri mother gathered for another search for the teacher but her husband wasn't among them, MyFOXKC.com reported.

Loved ones of Renee Pernice, 35, searched for evidence Monday morning but found no signs of her. A vigil was held in the bitter cold Monday night.

Pernice's husband, Army Sgt. Shon Pernice, and the couple's three children didn't participate in the search, according to MyFOXKC.com. He did attend the vigil, however.

Renee's family said calls to Shon have not been answered and they haven't seen the children since she disappeared Jan. 2, MyFOXKC.com reported.

Shon Pernice has been speaking with police through his attorney, who said he wants his wife to be found.

Monday's search focused on a wooded area near the Pernices' home in Northland, Mo. More than 80 people participated.

Police completed the search of the couple's home on Saturday, after calling in a bomb squad to remove what turned out to be a hollowed-out, inactive hand grenade. Guns and other items were also taken from the house.

Authorities and the missing woman's family say they suspect foul play.

"It's been too long for her to not have contacted any of us, so we feel like something bad has happened," said Renee's mother Linda Lockwood. "She would never, never, never leave her kids and just not say anything to anybody."

Lockwood said she wasn't sure who was taking care of her grandchildren and hasn't been in touch with them since her daughter disappeared.

Renee Pernice's cell phone was found Jan. 3 by a homeless man near Reservoir Park in Kansas City, about 12 to 15 miles from her home, according to MyFOXKC.com.

She was last seen Jan. 2 by her husband, who says she left home about 9 a.m. that day but he doesn't remember where she told him she was going.

Shon Pernice recently returned from service in Iraq and has said he's been suffering from post-traumatic stress. The couple had been having marital problems.

Anyone with any information about the missing woman is asked to call the TIPS Hotline at (816) 474-TIPS.
Orchidwmn
Monkey Junky Jr.

What is it? A cat? WTH is that?

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 11:08:47 PM »

Police, volunteers search for missing Northland mother
By GLENN E. RICE
The Kansas City Star
Dozens of volunteers, including Danny Russell, searched Monday for Renee Pernice. They searched an area bound by 68th Street to 60th Street along North Waukomis Drive.
TODD FEEBACK

Kansas City police and volunteers spent Monday searching a wooded area near the Northland home of a 35-year-old mother who has been missing for more than a week.

Dressed in hiking boots, scarves and ski caps, dozens canvassed the wooded area near the home of Renee and Shon Pernice. They combed through brush and debris in an effort to find Renee Pernice, whom no one has seen since a week ago Friday. Pernice’s father, Rick Pretz, and police suspect foul play in her disappearance.

Dozens of volunteers boarded Kansas City Area Transportation Authority buses at an apartment complex near 65th Terrace and Liberty Street. The search began about 8:30 a.m. and concluded just after 2 p.m.

Family members said they remained hopeful that Pernice would be found and were pleased with the outpouring of support.

“It’s just very heart-wrenching,” said Debbie Budenbender, Pernice’s aunt. “It is just incredible the people who are touched by this and are giving up their entire day to be out searching.”

Kansas City Police Sgt. Rob Hargarten, with the fugitive apprehension unit, said police and volunteers covered about two square miles of brush and wooded terrain.

Hargarten instructed the volunteers to look for soil that appeared to be disturbed. He also asked them to keep an eye out for rubber gloves and industrial-size containers of cleaning products.

They were searching an area roughly bound by 68th Street to 60th Street along North Waukomis Drive.

“This is a very unusual case because you have a woman missing from her children, she has a good job, no one seems to know what has happened to her,” he said.

A prayer vigil was held Monday night at Mill Creek Park at 47th Street and J.C. Nichols Parkway.

Late last week, police searched the home of Pernice and her husband.

His lawyer said Shon Pernice had nothing to do with his wife’s disappearance, adding that Shon Pernice hoped that she would return unharmed soon.

Investigators were evaluating whether they need to do more searching in the dwelling. No details were released about what evidence investigators collected from the residence.

Authorities are seeking the public’s help in finding Renee Pernice, described as white, about 5 feet 9 inches tall and slender, with blue eyes and shoulder-length brown hair.

Anyone with information should call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS (474-8477).
http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/977974.html
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 11:10:24 PM »

Police, missing Mo. woman's family hope for leads

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — With their searches seeming to hit a dead end, police and family members of a Kansas City mother who has been missing more than a week hold out hope for some fresh leads in the case.

Those who know Renee Pernice say the 35-year-old nursing instructor was close to her three children and wouldn't leave them.

"There just isn't any room in our minds to believe that Renee just left," her father, Rick Pretz, said.

Something else that has caused investigators and her relatives to suspect foul play was the discovery of her cell phone a day after she disappeared. It was found on a street several miles from her northern Kansas City home in an area she wasn't known to frequent.

"Right now, her disappearance is classified as a missing person case," said Kansas City police officer Darin Snapp, a spokesman for the department. "But with her phone being located and the family and friends' statements, we believe there is definitely foul play involved."

No one has been arrested in the Jan. 2 disappearance, but police want to talk to the woman's husband, Shon Pernice. As far as they know, he was the last person to see his wife.

Snapp said police are trying to arrange through Shon Pernice's lawyers to interview him.

Shon Pernice is a firefighter in the Kansas City suburb of Independence who also is in the National Guard and served with the Army in Iraq.

The couple's decade-long marriage seemed to be nearing an end when Renee Pernice filed for divorce in 2005. But the divorce proceedings were dismissed in January 2007, according to court records.

More recently though, she had mentioned to family members that she was reconsidering divorce, police said.

Neither Shon Pernice nor his attorneys returned phone calls to The Associated Press. One of the lawyers, Kevin Baldwin, told The Kansas City Star that Pernice feels helpless and that he misses his wife and wants her back home. Baldwin said he has advised Shon Pernice to not talk to police because his client feels he is being blamed for his wife's disappearance.

Police have searched the Pernice family's home, the neighborhood around the house and the area where the cell phone was found.

A larger search of woods near the home was organized by Renee Pernice's family Monday. But the dozens of volunteers that spent hours combing the area left without being any closer to knowing the woman's whereabouts.

Seven detectives are working on the investigation amid their other cases.

"If we receive a tip about a certain area that's too large for these detectives to search themselves, we will allocate whatever resources we feel is necessary to conduct the search," Snapp said. "It helps out a lot when her family is helping with this. Renee has a lot of loved ones who are concerned about her."

The woman's father said she wouldn't abandon her family. He said she was the one who looked after the children — an 11-year-old stepdaughter and two sons ages 6 and 8 — while her husband was away for military duty, most recently serving in Iraq for about a year.

"We can't feel that she just walked off," Pretz said. "And we can't figure out how she would have had any enemy. So if she's truly gone from us, it has to be something that's just one of those crimes that just doesn't make sense at all."

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Missing_Mom.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=1&cxcat=0

January 14, 2009 - 8:10 p.m. EST

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »

The Kansas City Star (Missouri)

January 17, 2009 Saturday 

Police: Missing woman's husband made inconsistent statements

Jan. 17--A missing Northland mother was undertaking divorce proceedings when she vanished around New Year's Day, according to a court affidavit released Friday.

The affidavit for a search warrant also says her husband, Shon Pernice, has made inconsistent statements about the missing woman, Renee Pernice.

Shon Pernice told his wife's relatives that he last saw her on New Year's Day, police said in affidavit filed in Clay County Circuit Court. But several days later, he told detectives he last saw her Jan. 2.

The affidavit also said that:

-- Shon Pernice used an electronic keycard to enter the back door of the Independence hazmat station at 4:26 a.m. on Jan. 3. Pernice, an Independence firefighter, is not assigned to that station. Investigators noted in the affidavit that solvents and other cleaning materials were at the hazmat station.

--Detectives saw Shon Pernice drive the family minivan on Jan. 6 to Line Creek Park -- more than one mile from the family's home -- where Pernice released his wife's dog and drove away. When Shon Pernice did not return, detectives picked up the animal.

Shon Pernice's attorney, Kevin Baldwin, said Friday that he had not seen the court documents and could not comment. Baldwin said he had instructed Pernice not to comment or allow police to interview him because Pernice feels he is being blamed for the disappearance.

Renee Pernice, a 35-year-old mother of two sons and a stepdaughter, has not been seen for at least two weeks.

Her father, Rick Pretz, and police speculate that foul play was involved. No arrests have been made.

The affidavit released Friday was filed to obtain a search warrant for the Pernice home, which Renee purchased before she married Shon. The search took place last week.

According to the affidavit, family members told investigators that the couple was divorcing. Police said Shon Pernice was scheduled to leave for a three-week military session and then was going to move out of the home.

In Renee Pernice's office at Saint Luke's College, investigators later found documents from different law firms that detailed the anticipated divorce. They also found a photograph of Shon Pernice with one of the children and an unknown female.

During the search of the family home, investigators removed dozens of bags of evidence, including firearms and computer equipment.

According to the returned warrant, police removed a fictitious Navy Seal identification card containing Shon Pernice's name and photograph. Also removed were satellite equipment, an external thumb drive, a nursing notebook, a pineapple-style grenade with a hollowed-out bottom and an expended fuse.

Crime scene investigators collected swabs from a lower-level bathroom sink and kitchen sink, as well as patches of carpet from an upstairs closet, a downstairs fireplace and from the basement.

Investigators later interviewed the mother of Shon Pernice's daughter, who visited her father on Jan. 2. About 9:30 p.m., the woman told police, her daughter sent an e-mail to say she was ready to come home and was worried because Renee was not there.

The woman picked up her daughter the following morning but noticed the Pernice family van was parked outside, the affidavit said. She thought that was unusual because the van was always parked in the garage, according to police.

Through a police spokesman, family members declined to comment Friday.

They plan to do so later this morning.

Family members and friends have told police that Renee Pernice was not the kind of mother who would separate herself from her children for any reason.

Police found her cell phone Jan. 3 near Sixth Street and Gladstone Avenue in the Northeast area of Kansas City. On Monday, police and dozens of volunteers searched a wooded area near Northwest 60th Street and Northwest Waukomis Drive, close to the Pernice home.

Renee Pernice is described as white, about 5 feet 9 inches tall and slender, with blue eyes and shoulder-length brown hair.

Anyone with information should call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS (474-8477).
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:912481287&start=3

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »

This is sounding way too familiar.  What is wrong with these men?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.