March 28, 2024, 12:38:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adji Desir, 6 yrs old, Immokalee, Florida missing since 1/10/09 #1  (Read 494414 times)
Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2009, 08:50:03 PM »

Just wanted to add this little note...the CCSO is exhausting every possible possibility in this case.  They have gone through mounds of trash, swam & examined alligator infested waters, searched the swamps, and we have been kept up each night with the choppers circling the outer areas (which brings them to my neighborhood here which is a good 12-15 miles from Immokalee and the CCSO substation is less than a quarter mile from our neighborhood)...they have been flying for hours upon hours till 3am searching the wooded areas for this child.
We have 3 neighbors who are CCSO'ers and they have been working all hours of the day in search of Adji and you can see it written on their faces each day the disappointment and upset when nothing is found.

Pebbles
Scared Monkey

« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2009, 09:25:22 PM »

Just a passing thought that I had today while visiting with some friends in FL Fish & Wild Life and family in LE who have been helping with the search for Adji. 
If he was taken, he was taken by someone who knew him and knew the area.  Someone who would not stick out to the other children playing and adults sitting on their front patios.  Someone who knew enough about Adji to know that he would'nt yell "Help" or scream, because he did not feel threatened let alone his undeveloped speach.
The window from 5:15 when his grandmother allowed him to go play to 7:30 when his stepfather was not able to find him gives a huge window of oportunity for someone who knew enough about this child to make a move.
MOO
::SELF EDIT::
This is what I've been really worried about since he hasn't been found yet. I wouldn't think he could have wandered off so far that he wouldn't have been found by now.  It is great to hear how many searchers are involved looking for Adji.  I really feel so badly for his family. I just hope and pray he is still alive.
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »

Just wanted to add this little note...the CCSO is exhausting every possible possibility in this case.  They have gone through mounds of trash, swam & examined alligator infested waters, searched the swamps, and we have been kept up each night with the choppers circling the outer areas (which brings them to my neighborhood here which is a good 12-15 miles from Immokalee and the CCSO substation is less than a quarter mile from our neighborhood)...they have been flying for hours upon hours till 3am searching the wooded areas for this child.
We have 3 neighbors who are CCSO'ers and they have been working all hours of the day in search of Adji and you can see it written on their faces each day the disappointment and upset when nothing is found.
Pray that Adji will be found and that the searchers have the strength to continue on.
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »

Dolce I very much appreciate your updates.

There is no mention or coverage of this at all down here in Miami-Dade

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2009, 08:12:55 AM »

Help Sought In Search For Missing Boy, 6
POSTED: Saturday, January 17, 2009

IMMOKALEE, Fla. -- A southwest Florida sheriff's office is seeking volunteers to help find a 6-year-old boy who's been missing for a week.

The Collier County Sheriff's Office said Adji Desir disappeared from a migrant farm worker village in Immokalee Jan. 10 after he went outside to play. The sheriff's office is asking for volunteers to come to an Immokalee park Saturday to pick up fliers they can distribute in their own communities.

Hundreds of volunteers searched this week for the boy, who authorities said is developmentally disabled and has the mental capacity of a 2-year-old. The FBI has assigned special agents to help with the investigation.

Immokalee is southeast of Fort Myers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:05:15 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged
Pebbles
Scared Monkey

« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »

I'm praying that Adji is found today.
Riley
Scared Monkey

« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »

Has there been any news?  Anything more the searchers have to go on?
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »

IMMOKALEE — It’s a community that’s been at the center of national media reports since 6-year-old Adji Desir went missing last weekend in Farm Worker Village in Immokalee.

But what is Farm Worker Village?

To outsiders it’s just government-subsidized housing.

Yet to the community’s residents, it’s home and a safe haven.

“It’s a neighborhood,” said Jean Blanchard, 42, a resident of the village for eight years. “It’s a community.”

Opened in 1974 as farm labor housing, Farm Worker Village has grown from the 150 original units in the first phase of construction to 641 units spread through five phases. The last homes were built in 2001.

And no, the village isn’t a hotbed for illegal immigrants. (Much of Immokalee is though given the lower rates and the farms, which is a concern.)

Renters at Farm Worker Village, which is operated by the Collier County Housing Authority in Immokalee, must be citizens or permanent residents. Legal temporary guest workers aren’t allowed to live there.

And that helps strengthen the feeling of community. That feeling was evident one day late last week as kids played along Chadwick Circle in the village.

Among them were Blanchard’s three boys, Junior, 11; Ernesto, 9; and Ted, 4.

The youngest arrived from Haiti on Monday with Blanchard’s wife, Marie, 40, after years of going through the legal immigration process.

Blanchard’s relief and happiness were evident as he described what a normal weekday would be like for his kids.

Homework will get done right after school, he said, and only after the work is done can they have some fun.

“My wife does not play,” Blanchard said with a grin.

Through the eight years he’s lived in the U.S., all in Collier County, Blanchard said the connection felt by residents has remained the same in Immokalee and at the village.

“I don’t think I want to go anywhere else,” Blanchard said.

Blanchard’s next-door neighbor, Camilo Martinez, moved in five months ago with his family.

The move was like coming home, said Martinez, 37.

Born in Naples, and raised in Immokalee, Martinez said the moment he got his driver license he’d drive over to the village to visit friends and family.

He agreed with Blanchard in saying that the “neighborhood feeling” has not changed.

“We all know all our neighbors,” Martinez said.

Both said Adji’s disappearance has shaken the community and that it’s not a reflection of how the community has been all these years.

“This has never happened,” Martinez said of security for village residents.

But like other areas of Collier County, Farm Worker Village has changed in recent years.

Esmeralda Serrata, the Collier County Housing Authority’s executive director, said the village has undergone changes during the past 8 to 10 years.

“The biggest change we’ve seen is the demographics of our population,” said Serrata, who has been with the agency for 20 years. “Now we serve a larger percentage of Haitian Creole families.”

When it opened nearly 35 years ago, the majority of the population living in the housing was of Hispanic origin, which included Mexicans, Guatemalans, Hondurans, Puerto Ricans and others.

What hasn’t changed, however, is the bond the residents feel.

Serrata said the village has maintained a sense of family as it has grown— something the development shares with Immokalee.

“There is a sense of community,” said Serrata, who smiled as she called the village close-knit. “They all live here, they all live close by and they know that they have to live together.”

And many former village residents still maintain ties to their old stomping grounds.

“A lot of families have transitioned and have gone on to home ownership,” Serrata said. “But there’s always some connection to the people that lived here.”

In the morning, it’s not uncommon to spot village residents giving each other a ride to work or into town ... it’s just what they do.

Another typical sight occurs when Village Oaks Elementary starts and ends its school day across the road from the village.

Throngs of neighborhood kids make their way to and from the school, slightly somber in the morning and more laughingly in the afternoon.

Overall, Serrata said, there’s a common feeling of respect and humbleness among the village residents.

It’s something else that makes the community stand out, she said.

“There’s a sense of appreciation,” Serrata said, adding that many of the village’s residents have come from difficult situations in their native lands, including the political and economic turmoil in Haiti. “They’re just thankful. What’s important to us is not necessarily important to them.”

Barbara Mainster, executive director of the Redlands Christian Migrant Association, said the professional make-up of the village’s population also has changed.

“It has changed in that there are more seasonal farm workers there instead of migrant workers,” Mainster said in an interview Friday. “There’s a lot of packing house workers.”

The association has two separate day-care centers in the community, the first of which opened in 1975, Mainster said.

“They’re hard-working families,” Mainster said. “It’s really a neighborhood community, that’s why this has been so shocking.”

Serrata echoed that sentiment and added that a lot of the village’s families never before had to worry about their children’s safety.

That changed when news of Adji’s disappearance spread through the development.

As of week’s end, the search for Adji continued.

“Everyone is fearful,” Serrata said.

But through it all, Serrata said the residents have come together to help the authorities try to find one of their own.

“It’s a member of the community,” Serrata said. “It’s personal to them.”

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »

Interactive Map set up by NAPLES NEWS in order for those familiar with the area to edit the map leaving blue points of interest such as craw spaces, abandoned houses or buildings...you know the places that a child could hide or be hidden.  The blue diamonds are areas that have been searched, as you can see the areas have expanded with each passing day.

http://www.naplesnews.com/thesearchforadji/

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »

There is a make-shift memorial for Adji set up in Immokalee with well wishes of a safe return home.  I will be going there tomorrow to leave a poster for him.  If you would like me to add your words of well wishes please send me an email of what you would like to say to Adji and/or his family and I am happy to add it nicely to the poster.  Smile
Email is in my profile, so no need to bother Klaas asking for it, its available for anyone who needs to reach me.
TIA

perriwinkle
Monkey Junky Jr.

If you were a crayon, what color would you be?

« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »

This story is breaking my heart.  I used to teach Special Ed for k-2 grades.(before kids).  This little guy would have been one of mine.  I pray for his safety and his homecoming.  I pray for his mommy and step dad and grandma especially, as he was in her charge at the time.  May Jesus protect him. 

We could learn a lot from crayons...

some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all exist very nicely in the same box.
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »

There is a make-shift memorial for Adji set up in Immokalee with well wishes of a safe return home.  I will be going there tomorrow to leave a poster for him.  If you would like me to add your words of well wishes please send me an email of what you would like to say to Adji and/or his family and I am happy to add it nicely to the poster.  Smile
Email is in my profile, so no need to bother Klaas asking for it, its available for anyone who needs to reach me.
TIA

Dolce~I am so impressed with your tenacity finding Adji.........Please pass my prayers along. IM

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »

Thank you guys.  I just checked my profile and made sure that my email is available for those who want to send their wishes.  I will note your IM and Perri. 
Its been a long day for me so far, my hubs was taken to the emergency room for poison ivy as it had made its way into an open wound he recieved in the search.  He was given a shot and antibiotics and steroids, was told he has a staff infection on top of the poison ivy within his system.  We were not aware of his deathly allergic status against PI...given these types of elements I am in constant prayer for Adji and wish him to come home soon. 
America's Most Wanted is to air the search for Adji tonight on the show.  The public attention is awesome! 
Again thanks everyone for thier prayers, this family is one that greatly apreciates all of the help, they are not one ounce like the Anthonys.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »

Thank you guys.  I just checked my profile and made sure that my email is available for those who want to send their wishes.  I will note your IM and Perri. 
Its been a long day for me so far, my hubs was taken to the emergency room for poison ivy as it had made its way into an open wound he recieved in the search.  He was given a shot and antibiotics and steroids, was told he has a staff infection on top of the poison ivy within his system.  We were not aware of his deathly allergic status against PI...given these types of elements I am in constant prayer for Adji and wish him to come home soon. 
America's Most Wanted is to air the search for Adji tonight on the show.  The public attention is awesome! 
Again thanks everyone for thier prayers, this family is one that greatly apreciates all of the help, they are not one ounce like the Anthonys.
I am so upset that little Adji has not been found yet. I'm sorry that your husband had such a reaction to poison ivy, I have many allergies, and know how horrible allergic reactions to different things can be. You have done so much trying to help find Adji, but you need to take care of yourself, I'm sorry if I sound like a mother, but I am, so please try to relax some and take care. Mary
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »

Thank you NRCG, I am making the poster to leave at the memorial, and then going to continue my support of this case from the computer for a bit, living vicariously through my father and LE neighbors who are nice enough to indulge my need for info (the kind that is tell-able).
Its about Adji, and I am so excited that this story is getting the attention it deserves.  I hope that whoever has taken him, if that is the case, comes forward and gives the child back to his family.
Two little girls made the news last night giving their account of their last sights of Adji walking down the street towards one of the bridges over a canal.  Much of the waters and lakes have been searched by boats and FFAWL. 

Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »

My prayers to you and your hubby also Dolce.
And to all the searchers.
I also hold a positive though that this boy is found safe and sound. May the grace of God be with the community and his family.
Thank you for the updates. Take care of your loved ones Dolce.
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »

Dolce, I know you have your plate full, so I would like to tell you that you are an awesome woman. Babies on the way, siblings, a husband, etc. I don't know how you do it.

THANK YOU for what you have done for this poor little boy. I wish I lived around there, I would go look for the poor lamb myself. I pray for him and his family every night. Breaks my heart. 

Thanks for all you and your family and LE are doing for this baby.

JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2009, 10:03:45 PM »

Dolce~make sure hubby follows thru on ALL the antibiotics, staph infections can become VERY serious, and you and the babes need to take it easy. Don't overdo anything. I know you are such a compassionate monkey and it's hard to say no, but just take good care of yourself and family. You, your family, Adji and his are in my prayers.

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »

I was reading Rob's post and was reminded of Jessica Lunsford. Close to the home.
It was a Saturday. Have they interviewed the families there as to who had relatives or friends visit that weekend ? Someone who used to live there recently who wouldn't stick out ?
Pebbles
Scared Monkey

« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2009, 10:57:44 PM »

Dolce, Thanks for the updates on Adji.  I'm still praying that Adji is brought home safely.  Also I'm adding your DH to my prayers for a fast recovery.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.