March 29, 2024, 01:50:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adji Desir, 6 yrs old, Immokalee, Florida missing since 1/10/09 #1  (Read 494496 times)
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #820 on: May 05, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »

Just dropping by to see if any news. I have not and will not forget about Adji.
Searching, neither will I.

Same here.  I check for any news or new developments.  Prayers for Adji and his family.  an angelic monkey

Every day . . . prayers and thoughts.

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #821 on: May 07, 2010, 01:13:03 AM »

Just dropping by to see if any news. I have not and will not forget about Adji.
Searching, neither will I.

Me too .. I think of Adji all the time. He is "alive " in my heart.

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #822 on: May 14, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »

Sweet little Adji.

We have not forgotten you Adji. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #823 on: May 14, 2010, 12:14:53 PM »

Sweet little Adji.

We have not forgotten you Adji. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #824 on: May 16, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »

I was searching for news about Adji, and came across this article:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/may/12/editorial-water-safety-training-children-could-pre/
Editorial: Water safety ... training children could prevent another tragedy
May 12, 2010

Friends and neighbors of the Immokalee family that experienced the tragedy of a toddler drowning in a retention pond Saturday say they will erect a safety fence — even if they have to pay for it themselves.

Adult supervision plays a role in these traumatic incidents as well.

Time and time again we have seen, in the wake of a child drowning in a swimming pool or lake, that two or more adults thought the other was watching the little one who strayed into harm’s way.

That is what happened in Immokalee over the weekend.

It is also, ironically enough, what happened in Immokalee on a Saturday evening in January 2009 when little Adji Desir disappeared. He was last seen playing in his grandmother’s backyard.

Children and water, especially with the free time and heat of summer around the corner, spell out the appeal of learn-to-swim and other water-safety programs available from community-minded YMCAs, fire departments and other agencies.

Yes, even for infants and toddlers.

The sooner that little children develop an understanding and respect for the water, the better. It is a big part of our world around here, and a lot of that world is unfenced.

If our community can avoid even one more water tragedy, it will have been well worth the effort.
Here is an article about the child that died from drowning in a retention pond in Immokalee:

http://www.nbc-2.com/Global/story.asp?S=12451512
Two-year-old boy found dead in Immokalee
May 9, 2010

COLLIER COUNTY: The sheriff's office confirms a two-year-old boy has been found dead in Immokalee on Saturday.

Around 5:40 p.m. a call came in about the child who was seen floating in a retention pond behind Justice Circle in Immokalee behind Lake Trafford Elementary.

Deputies say Brandon Luna is believed to have drowned in that retention pond while the family was playing in the front yard.

Luna reportedly wandered off and eventually into the water behind the home.

Deputies are calling this incident an accident.
http://setanchor.com/news/2010/may/09/immokalee-2-year-old-drown-death-brandon-luna/
VIDEO: Neighbors vow to put fence around lake after toddler drowns
May 9, 2010

IMMOKALEE — An Immokalee toddler who drowned Saturday in a retention lake just yards from his back door could have been alive today if the lake had been fenced in, a neighbor said Sunday.

Branden Luna, 2, was found in the lake at 7:07 p.m. by Collier County Sheriff’s emergency personnel, about two hours after he went missing from the family home at 3703 Justice Circle.

The family and some friends were having a cookout, said Marisol Mendosa, who spoke for the family at their home Sunday.

“They were playing in a plastic pool to cool down,” Mendosa said. “The doors of the house were open, and people were going in and out all the time. Branden’s mom was cooking and thought his dad was watching him outside, but the dad thought he was inside.”

Once the alarm was raised, the whole neighborhood (consisting of about 24 households) came out to search for the boy, Mendosa said.

“We didn’t want to believe he was in the water, but unfortunately he was,” she said.

She said the houses flanking the lake are in a low-income development and residents have been concerned about the unfenced lake.

Some near drownings have occurred in the past, Mendosa said.

A similar lake at nearby Lake Trafford Elementary School is fenced, she said, because “the county knows it is dangerous.”

Mendosa said the neighbors had conferred after Saturday’s tragedy, and had vowed to get the lake fenced.

“We’ll do it even if we have to pay for it ourselves,” Mendosa said.

Sunday morning, friends and neighbors converged on the Luna household to offer their condolences.

Direct family members also drove in overnight from the Carolinas and Virginia to be with their grieving relatives.

Investigators have said Branden’s death doesn’t appear to be suspicious.

The Luna couple also has an 8-month-old baby

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:23:47 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #825 on: May 16, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »

I have often thought that little Adji wandered away, rather than meeting with foul play.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #826 on: May 17, 2010, 06:18:57 AM »

I have often thought that little Adji wandered away, rather than meeting with foul play.

I have too, Nut.  But then what happened?

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #827 on: May 23, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/may/21/cold-case-chronicles-everglades-body-dump-miami-dr/
Cold Case Chronicles: Everglades body dump, Miami drug wars drove up Collier murder rate

* By RYAN MILLS
    * Posted May 21, 2010 at 1:07 p.m.
NAPLES — A fisherman made the grisly discovery on a Sunday afternoon in June 1982 — a young woman’s dismembered body floating in a canal off Alligator Alley, just west of the Collier-Broward line.

Her head, arms, breasts and legs had been smoothly cut away, and the word “DRUG” had been carved into her back.

To former Collier sheriff’s Lt. Harold Young, the agency’s lead homicide detective in the late 1970s and 1980s, that was a “whodunit” — a difficult case with little to work with
The woman’s identity was never determined.

Of Collier County’s more than 175 unsolved homicides since 1965, several are “whodunits” from the ‘80s — charred bodies tossed into canals, a skeleton with a bullet hole through the skull discovered in the Everglades, the nude body of a woman buried in a shallow grave off Alligator Alley.

It was a time when the Cocaine Cowboy wars were heating up, and the illegal drug trade flourished on Florida’s east coast.

“They were smart enough to know that if they dropped their bodies in a different venue, it would make it more difficult to solve them,” Young said.
Homicide is the ultimate crime, and local law enforcement officials say treat them all as equally important, whether it be an innocent child or a hardened criminal killed during a drug deal.

“You’re taking away everything that a person has and everything they’ll ever have,” said Capt. Chris Roberts, who heads up the Collier County Sheriff’s Office’s Major Crimes Division.
According to a Scripps Howard News Service study of crime records provided by the FBI, between 1980 and 2008 there were 31,715 reported homicides in Florida, 19,057 of which were cleared — or just over 60 percent.

During that same period, Collier County had 360 reported homicides and cleared 206 — just over 57 percent; the third lowest in the state, ahead of only Miami-Dade and Duval counties (44 percent and 56 percent, respectively) and tied with Hendry and Palm Beach counties.

The median county among 67 Florida counties cleared 74 percent of its homicides in that period, according to FBI statistics.

Local officials say the homicide clearance rate isn’t a particularly significant statistic in a county with as few homicides as Collier, which also has the lowest crime rate of any county south of the Interstate 4 corridor in Central Florida. They also say comparing one county or agency to another is like comparing apples and oranges.
“Sixty-four other counties cannot be that far ahead of this county,” Sheriff Kevin Rambosk said. “I’m telling you that right now.”

The numbers

The Naples metro area kept unusual company in 1984 — specifically Los Angeles, Detroit, Houston, New York and Miami.

There were 17 reported homicides in Collier County that year — 16 were solved — which gave the community the dubious distinction of having the 10th-highest murder rate of U.S. metro areas with populations of 100,000 or more. The Naples metro area was in a statistical dead heat with L.A. and Odessa, Texas, and ahead of Detroit, which had about 14 homicides per 100,000 residents.

Miami led the nation with 23 murders per 100,000 residents in 1984.

Collier officials said that when you’re playing with small numbers — big metro areas like Miami and New York see hundreds, and in some cases thousands, of murders every year — the results can be deceiving.

Such is the case, they say, with homicide clearance rates.
Since 1980, there have been as few as four homicides a year in Collier County and as many as 22. In those years, clearance rates have swung from as low as zero to 93 percent, something that doesn’t happen in large metro areas where officials say the clearance rate is a more meaningful yard stick.

In recent years, the national clearance rate has hovered between 60 percent and 70 percent.

“We’re fortunate, we don’t have to look at 100 (cases) and go ‘Well, we did 80 out of 100. That’s pretty good,’” Roberts said.

In Collier County, a homicide is more than just a number on a chalk board, officials said.

“Our investigators know the victims and their families,” Rambosk said. “They know what they’ve cleared and what they haven’t.”

When asked if the Sheriff’s Office ever gives up on a case, Roberts said “Never.” Even cases that are decades old get pulled out occasionally to see if new technology — especially in DNA — can turn up evidence, or if an old witness is now willing to talk.

“In a lot of these ... a jilted girlfriend today was the happy girlfriend back when it occurred,” Roberts said.
Cops want to make arrests. But especially in older cases, local investigators say they work closely with the State Attorney’s Office to ensure a case is solid before they make an arrest.

“You’ve got one shot, and you miss it, and they’re not guilty, and then you’re really done,” Naples police Lt. Robb Bock said. “That’s why you don’t want to make a mistake on it.”

Rambosk said he has “serious questions” about how other agencies in Florida are reporting statistics to the FBI. Although there are reporting guidelines, Collier officials said there is “wiggle room” that leads to discrepancies.

In fact, the FBI specifically discourages using its data to rank agencies, according to a disclaimer on its website.

Collier officials say they are conservative with their reporting. According to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report, an offense can be cleared either by arrest or by exceptional means if an agency has identified the offender; knows where the offender is; has gathered enough evidence to make an arrest, but encounters a circumstance that prohibits the agency from doing so.

Unlike some agencies, the Collier Sheriff’s Office doesn’t consider a case cleared after an arrest warrant is issued or a primary suspect identified. The agency has a dozen arrest warrants out for homicide suspects, some from other countries.

Also, in Collier, any body dug up in the Everglades is automatically classified as a homicide until proven otherwise.

Using agency statistics, sheriff’s officials say they’ve actually cleared about 67 percent of their homicides since 1990, putting them more in line with the state average. However, Rambosk said that for some reason, the Sheriff’s Office hadn’t been submitting updated clearance data to the FBI every year, which has driven the agency’s clearance rates down.

As a result of Collier’s ranking in the Scripps Howard analysis, he said Friday he is changing the Sheriff’s Office’s reporting policy.
 Geography and demographics

At about 2,025 square miles, much of it uninhabited Everglades, Collier County is one of the largest counties east of the Mississippi River. Over the years, Alligator Alley and U.S. 41 — two main arteries to the more densely populated east coast — have proven to be popular dumping spots for dead bodies.
Collier’s vastness also presents challenges in trying to pursue missing persons cases that aren’t officially classified as homicides, including the high-profile cases of Wendy Hudakoc, Adji Desir, Terrance Williams and Felipe Santos, who have all disappeared during the past 12 years.

Because of those cases, Collier officials acknowledge that they, like other communities, probably have more unsolved homicides than statistics show. Those cases aren’t treated differently than a known homicide, other than the fact one thing is missing — evidence they were killed, Roberts said.

A mix of both rural and urban areas, Collier is home to both the very rich and the very poor; older retirees more likely to be involved in a health-related murder-suicide, and blue-collar workers more likely to be involved in a deadly
bar brawl.

Collier’s population has increased from about 70,000 in 1980 to about 300,000 today, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Total crime peaked in the mid-1990s, and has since fallen to levels similar to when the county’s population was only about a third of what it is today.

Rambosk said the community is becoming safer.

“When we’re looking at general public safety, gang shootings and random killings, we don’t have that in Collier County,” he said.

Homicides are less frequent in more affluent neighborhoods. The city of Naples has only four unsolved homicides since 1980, the most recent being 85-year-old Charles Huber, who police believe was struck in the head and robbed when he stepped out of his Central Avenue apartment in March 2008.

“Generally, you’re not going to have a random murder,” Naples Detective Matt Fletcher said of the city’s more affluent residents. “That’s going to be a crime of passion or someone who definitely knows the other person.”
Collier’s large transient population also makes solving some homicides difficult, as suspects and witnesses tend to have few ties to the community, and are constantly on the go crossing county, state and national borders.

“Not every culture places the value on life that we do,” Roberts said.

Feet on the street

Like the rest of his colleagues, Collier Detective Andy Henchesmoore keeps an extra set of clothes in his car and in his office.
As one of six detectives in the Collier sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit, Henchesmoore never knows when he will have a case that needs nonstop attention, requiring him to shower at work, and hopefully catch an hour of sleep here and there.

“There are times when we won’t see our family for days,” he said.

Established in 2005, the Major Crimes Unit investigates all deaths, police shootings, and in any extra time, “cold cases.”

Holidays get cut short. Vacations are hard to come by. A trip to Disney World requires two cars in case dad needs to leave early.

It’s a full-time commitment, and each of the six detectives, along with Lt. Mike Fox and Sgt. Jason Wrobleski, is available for the team 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Among them they have 189 years of law enforcement experience.

“Anyone who gets in this line of work, it’s not for the great money, it’s for the service,”
Henchesmoore said.

The Naples police department doesn’t have a homicide unit, per se, but does have detectives who have worked homicides, Bock said.

As professionals, they all try not to get emotionally invested — emotions don’t make good decisions — but they do get personally invested in their cases.

When their investigations don’t lead to a quick arrest, the detectives realize that the victim’s loved ones are going to be upset — very upset. But those unsolved cases bother the detectives, too.

“You never completely forget about an unsolved case,” Collier Detective David Hurm said. “It’s always in the back of your head.”

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #828 on: June 05, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »

We remember you Adji.   Prayers that you are found soon.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #829 on: June 05, 2010, 08:22:47 PM »

I have too, Nut.  But then what happened?

He wandered into a swamp / woods...?? Probably died of dehydration, drowning and/or alligator...I just don't think he was taken. I can't explain why I feel that way...I just don't. This country is literally littered with dead bodies that have never been found and probably never will be. It is horrible, but true. Poor little boy Sad I am sad for his family.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:25:08 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #830 on: June 13, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »

Collier County Sheriff's Office
Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Missing Children Information Clearinghouse Search
http://216.25.88.210/news/missing/missing.asp

Missing

http://216.25.88.210/news/missing/detail.asp?key=146
Missing Person - Adji Desir (Missing Endangered Person)
Missing Since: 1/10/2009    Case # 09-942    
Race: B    Sex: M    Age at disappearance: 6yr2mo
Hair: Black    Eyes: Bro    HGT: 300    WGT: 45
Last Address: 814 Grace Court, Immokalee, Florida 34142
Scars, Marks & Tattoos: None
Details:

Adji was last seen wearing a blue and yellow t-shirt, blue and yellow shorts and black and grey sneakers. He was last seen in Farmworkers Village.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #831 on: June 28, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »

I have too, Nut.  But then what happened?

He wandered into a swamp / woods...?? Probably died of dehydration, drowning and/or alligator...I just don't think he was taken. I can't explain why I feel that way...I just don't. This country is literally littered with dead bodies that have never been found and probably never will be. It is horrible, but true. Poor little boy Sad I am sad for his family.

I agree -- another one etched in my soul -- the picture of his grandmother hangs in my study.  It helps me remember what it's all about -- the children.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #832 on: July 08, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/jul/08/video-jackson-lab-sheriff-adji-desir/
VIDEO: Immokalee's Thomas talks Jackson Lab; the sheriff; Adji Desir
Posted
Jackson Lab, a brewery and a vegetable processing plan spell good news for Immokalee, says civic leader Fred Thomas.

He is this week’s guest on "One on One with Jeff Lytle.

He also says Sheriff Kevin Rambosk has it right with immigration policing, and Adji Desir’s disappearance a year ago would have been handled better if the child were white.

This is an edited transcript of the first half; video highlights as well as partial video/texts of past interviews are available at naplesnews.com/oneonone.

The entire 30-minute program airs Sunday at noon on Comcast CN14. Lytle is editorial page/Perspective editor of the Daily News.

<snipped>
Lytle: One more question: Adji Desir. Does the community have hope that they’ll ever find that child alive? Do you have a sense?

Thomas: I don’t know what happened to that young boy. I was a little upset with the way we handled it on the front end because the boy was slightly autistic, and he couldn’t have done what they thought he had done when they were looking for him — climbing over fences and what-not. Somebody had to take him somewhere.

They should have done the spread much larger, much quicker, to try to find out where that boy was.

Lytle: He’s been gone now for over a year.

Thomas: Over a year. But then again, in this country we don’t treat everybody the same when it comes to that.

Lytle: Fred, what are you saying?

Thomas: Two boys disappeared within the last two months in this country. One little freckle-face kid with glasses and another little brown skin boy. You hear about the freckle-face kid with the glasses regularly. You heard about the brown-skinned boy once when it first came out.

I’m telling you we have still this kind of a problem in this country that we all need to work out. Because this country is great because of all of the best of every other country we have been able to bring to this country. And we need to respect that.

Lytle: Are you talking about racial prejudice and for that reason Adji’s case didn’t get as much attention as perhaps a white boy’s case would have been?

Thomas: Exactly.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #833 on: July 19, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »

Hey little Adji, just thinking about you. I hope you are warm, fed and safe. We may never know, but I pray God's arms are tightly wrapped around you.  an angelic monkey

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #834 on: July 19, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »

Hey little Adji, just thinking about you. I hope you are warm, fed and safe. We may never know, but I pray God's arms are tightly wrapped around you.  an angelic monkey

BooMonkey, I believe this -- he no longer has any trouble communicating or any other limitations.  His family remain in my prayers.

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #835 on: July 29, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sXLQDZgMmUI&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/sXLQDZgMmUI&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1</a>

A story that I have read to my daughter, 100 times, that she never was tired of, and I was inches from her. This is for Adji, sweet little son ~ the same story, I have read 100 times, yet a kind voice, that he would recognize as home, I know his Mother misses him so, and he misses her too  

* I have listened to this man read this story many many times .. I love his voice, it is so kind, I am not Adji's mother, yet he, Adji is everyone's son.

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #836 on: July 30, 2010, 07:08:08 AM »

Beautiful post Boo. I also have this hope for Adji.

I think of his sweet little face all time, and I pray for him and his family. His grandmother's tears haunt me.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #837 on: August 05, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »

Thinking of you sweet boy. I  hope one day very soon you can return home.  an angelic monkey
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #838 on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »

Please say a prayer and light a candle for Adji, that he will be found.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=adji

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #839 on: August 22, 2010, 01:19:41 AM »

Muffy ~ you made a posting of a poster of Adji   an angelic monkey
that poster is from my personal locked photobucket  - Why can I not reply to your post ?
A pic of Adji that I made yet again - no so long ago.

For Adji
Mamma Nina ~ Simone
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/H2XCgcxsvTg?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/H2XCgcxsvTg?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Everyday I think of you and wonder where you are.. I am not giving up on you Adji Desir 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.