March 28, 2024, 11:53:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adji Desir, 6 yrs old, Immokalee, Florida missing since 1/10/09 #1  (Read 494409 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »

Naples Daily News (Florida)

March 5, 2009 Thursday
B; Pg. 3 
Program segment brings new leads for Adji Desir

The Collier County Sheriff's Office received seven new leads into the disappearance of 6-year-old Adji Desir after his case was featured last Saturday on the "America's Most Wanted" television program.

"You never ever know when you go on any show whether you're going to get a lot or a little," agency spokeswoman Karie Partington said. "It's a matter of getting the right one."

The Sheriff's Office also released a new photo of Adji on Wednesday, in which he is wearing the two-tone, blue sneakers he wore the day he disappeared. Investigators hope the sneakers will generate fresh leads.

Sheriff's Office Lt. Thomas Smith was slated to appear on CNN's Nancy Grace show again Wednesday night to discuss the case. He has appeared on the program several times since Adji disappeared from outside his grandmother's Farm Worker Village home in Immokalee on Jan. 10.

Anyone with information about Adji's whereabouts can call the Collier County Sheriff's Office at

(239) 793-9300, or if you wish to remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS (8477).
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:935844852&start=12

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »

Thanks Nut.  Great to hear they got some tips.  Seven is better than none!
Shows why media coverage is so important eh?!
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #342 on: March 05, 2009, 07:21:17 PM »

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0903/04/ng.01.html

<snipped to include Adji coverage only>

NANCY GRACE

Aired March 4, 2009 - 20:00:00   ET

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Law enforcement officials say they continue to get tips in the case of missing Florida boy, Adji Desir, who was last seen playing outside his grandmother`s home. The Collier County Sheriff`s Office are investigating all tips that come in, including one tip that police are looking into today. A tip that may be deemed credible.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Their assignment will be to go through all the tips and leave some signs that we`re posting in the stores and when information is coming through from the media.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: A multi-agency task force has been working day after day to find out what happened to 6-year-old Adji, who`s developmentally disabled and has the mind of a 2-year-old. The South Florida community is pulling together, praying for the boy`s safe return, while a $38,500 reward is being offered in an effort to bring out more credible leads.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Straight out to Rory O`Neill with Westwood One. Rory, what`s the latest in the search for Adji?

RORY O`NEILL, REPORTER, WESTWOOD ONE RADIO, COVERING STORY: Well, good evening, Nancy. They have had some success in getting at least a few more tips. One of them, a good tip that they`re following. That`s because the case of Adji`s disappearance was recently profiled on "America`s Most Wanted," so they did get at least one solid tip they`re still following through on.

No big ground searches going on. That`s been suspended for about 50 days now. So really they`re just trying to follow up this latest lead in the case.

GRACE: Everyone, this little boy cannot verbally communicate. He has the mind of a 2-year-old little child. Therefore, he can`t even explain to anyone that he is lost.

Rory O`Neill, are police now accepting that this is not a case of the child wandering off, that this is a kidnap?

O`NEILL: That`s really what -- as soon as Adji was reported missing, they spent about nine days doing this massive manhunt, while working parallel investigations, that, one, that he just wanted off, and two, that perhaps something had happened. Though they say if a boy this age, developmentally disabled, as you say, really couldn`t walk away too far on his own.

They feel secure in the search that they mounted on the ground. They think someone else was involved in his disappearance.

GRACE: Joining me right now, special guest, Lieutenant Tom Smith with the special crimes bureau, Collier County Sheriff`s Office. He`s the lead investigator into Adji`s disappearance.

Lieutenant, thank you for being with us.

LT. TOM SMITH, SPECIAL CRIMES BUREAU, COLLIER CO. SHERIFF`S OFFICE, ON THE CASE: Thank you again for airing Adji`s story, you know, keeping his picture in everybody`s mind is very crucial to finding him.

GRACE: Lieutenant, it`s stunning to me that this little boy disappears out of his own yard, his grandmother there in the home, taking care of him. What can you tell us about the new lead that is being researched?

SMITH: Well, you know, to say that there`s a specific tip that has some specific potential, it`s pretty difficult. I mean we`ve been getting a lot of leads. And we`ve had about 250 leads, about 30 of those have been -- are still remaining to be, you know, closed out. From the "America`s Most Wanted" show, we got a few tips and a few of them have elements that allow us to dig into them a little bit deeper.

GRACE: Lt. Smith, tell us again about the circumstances surrounding Adji`s disappearance.

SMITH: Well, Adji was out in front of his home in a community housing authority project that consists of about 611 homes, just about dusk on January 10th. And within about, just a 15-minute time frame, around 5:30 p.m., he disappeared. And we`ve not been able to find any information to lead us towards an abduction or towards a walkoff, so, you know, we`ve always accepted the possibility that it could be either one and we`ve worked both of those avenues.

GRACE: What do you mean by a 15-minute window?

SMITH: Well, he was seen around 5:30 and around 5:45, he was not there where he could be called back to the house and they began searching. And it took about two hours of their own searches before they realized that they couldn`t find him and then they called the sheriff`s office.

GRACE: Who saw him at 5:30?

SMITH: He was playing football, tossing a football with a child about his own age, and then the older brother to that friend came over and said, time to come home for dinner, and they`ve left him standing 100 feet from his home.

GRACE: How old was the older brother that came and got the little friend?

SMITH: He`s in his early teens, probably 11 or 12. I don`t know specifically.

GRACE: So that`s a reliable witness?

SMITH: Oh, absolutely. You know, we`ve interviewed all the children that`s playing in the community. It`s a very close knit community because of the type of development that it is. We`ve interviewed his classmates and all the children that he`s played with that whole evening from the time he woke up until the time he disappeared and he just vanished.

GRACE: So at around 5:30, the neighbor friend comes to get the little brother, it`s time to come in for dinner. They leave Adji about 100 feet from his own home and then 15 minutes later what happens?

SMITH: Grandmother comes out to tell him to come into the house and he`s obviously not out front. And the stepfather had been in the same neighborhood doing laundry down at the local washhouse and had walked up to the house, so I mean, it even makes it a little bit more difficult to know that he was right there and nobody saw anything.

GRACE: And this is a very low-crime area?

SMITH: Well, it`s a typical housing authority unit where people are screened very closely before they move in. You know, it`s a zero tolerance type of, you know, crime community, so if you commit a crime or have associated that come in that commit crimes, you run the risk of being kicked out. So, yes, it is a good-natured community.

GRACE: To Dr. Marty Makary, physician and professor of public health at Johns Hopkins, joining us from Washington, D.C..

Dr. Makary, what is your take on the special needs of little Adji?

DR. MARTY MAKARY, PHYSICIAN, PROF. OF PUBLIC HEALTH, JOHNS HOPKINS: Well, it really all comes down to water. You know, from a developmental perspective, a child like this with the mental age of 2 does not have the mental construct to put the logic together that water that they see is what would satisfy their thirst and they`re at high risk for dehydration.

Also because of their stranger anxiety, they may hide from people actually looking for them.

GRACE: What do you mean stranger anxiety?

MAKARY: Well, they can detach from their environment because they become lonely and scared at an early age when they`re not around their typical environment. So they detach and can really burrow into their surrounding.

GRACE: Out to the lines, Sheeba in Illinois. Hi, Sheeba.

CALLER: Hi, hi, darling. I just want to know, Nancy, when people take these pictures with their cell phones, why don`t they stay there -- I would. If I thought, God forbid, it be one of your children, I would not let that person that I thought was your child away from my sight.

Now, I might have to apologize (INAUDIBLE) profusely, but I would not let them out of my sight.

GRACE: You know, Mike Brooks, former fed with the FBI, you dealt with a lot of tips. Why when people really believe they`ve spotted a missing child, do they walk away?

BROOKS: That`s a great question, Nancy. You know, I mean, I think as the lieutenant said, they`ve had over -- about 250 leads, 30 of them, they need to follow up on. It`s going to be case management and also keeping this out in the public, as the lieutenant said, that`s going to find this little boy.

But it sounds like because of his developmental problems, it`s highly, highly unlikely that he walked away from there himself. Someone probably had to take him out of there because it`s such a rural area.

GRACE: The reward is now nearly $35,000. Tip line, 800-780-8477.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SMITH: This is a farm worker`s village. It`s a housing authority community consisting of about 600 homes, about 468 are occupied. And it`s a stand-alone community in the middle of a farm field. Most of them are permanent migrant workers. They`re farm hands and they work at the packing houses.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It takes boots on the ground, individual deputies getting out there and crawling through culverts and looking in brambles and bushes. So we`re just taking the search and being as thorough as we can.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Where is little Adji? To Rupa Mikkilineni, our producer on the case in the very beginning. Rupa, what can you tell me?

RUPA MIKKILINENI, NANCY GRACE PRODUCER: Well, you know, police have a couple of really theories here. The real theory is that he was abducted. I mean they`re leaning towards this. Mostly because they have done extensive searches in area almost immediately as soon as he disappeared, Nancy. So they`re thinking somebody in the Haitian community might know something.

GRACE: And what are they doing about it? I know the entire area has been canvassed. I know they`ve got a lot of press just recently. How many tips did that generate, Rupa?

MIKKILINENI: Over 2500 tips, actually, in the last two months. This child has been missing almost two months now, Nancy. What they`re also doing is expanding throughout all of southeast, southwest Florida, the Miami area, hitting the Haitian communities in those areas, talking with Haitian minister, apparently, they`re speaking with who might be going to Haiti soon and will be spreading word even there.

GRACE: And I understand new photos have been released.

MIKKILINENI: Yes, new photos have been released. One important clarification for one of the photos is there`s a photo of him sitting Indian style, I think, and it shows the sneakers that he was wearing when he disappeared. In previous photos, I think, those sneakers were described as grayish. They`re actually dark blue and light blue.

GRACE: Special thank you tonight to Rory O`Neill and Lt. Tom Smith, along with Rupa Mikkilineni, joining us on the story.

Little Adji, 800-780-8477.
flossy
Monkey Junky

Got milk?

« Reply #343 on: March 05, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »

Thanks Nut.  Great to hear they got some tips.  Seven is better than none!
Shows why media coverage is so important eh?!

Exactly, can!  I'm going to send another email right now - thanking them for their coverage last night and begging for it continue!

If it's not one thing, it's an udder.
Dolce
Monkey All Star

Del senno di poi ne son piene le fosse...

« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »

NG's bit of coverage was nice, lets keep these emails rolling into her.  Hopefully it will help to open their eyes not only to Adji, but to realize that the people DO care about EVERY missing child, regardless of race, social status, and popularity. 

Thank you everyone for all of the help!!!  Lets bring Adji home!
Bless you Dolce, I sent emails too.
Thank you my BFF!!  Keep up the good work!!

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #345 on: March 05, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »

Dolce - someone on another thread said they thought of you last night.  So did I, as I watched Nancy's coverage of Adji.
I have sent an email of thanks today with a request to mention Adji nightly.

Most awesome Can and great idea! Maybe possitive reinforcement will help to get his picture out there a bit more.  I will try that as well. 

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2009, 06:46:05 PM »

Prayers Every Day that Adji Is Found SAFE

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #347 on: March 07, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »

I am really hoping that Dana is going to take some interest in Adji's case and want to do a tiny tidbit of a piece on him for SM radio. 

I am hoping that he comes and takes a look at this thread.  Thank you Dana, love your show, I hope that you are able to help!!!

(No pressure) 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #348 on: March 07, 2009, 04:31:56 PM »

I am really hoping that Dana is going to take some interest in Adji's case and want to do a tiny tidbit of a piece on him for SM radio. 

I am hoping that he comes and takes a look at this thread.
  Thank you Dana, love your show, I hope that you are able to help!!!

(No pressure) 

Dolce ~Have you emailed Dana about Adji?  dana@scaredmonkeys.com 

I've been away from the forum a lot, and not sure if you've mentioned contacting him.  Muffy

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #349 on: March 07, 2009, 07:40:22 PM »

I am hoping that he comes and takes a look at this thread.
  Thank you Dana, love your show, I hope that you are able to help!!!

(No pressure) 

Dolce ~Have you emailed Dana about Adji?  dana@scaredmonkeys.com 

I've been away from the forum a lot, and not sure if you've mentioned contacting him.  Muffy
I have noticed you have been absent, I hope you are alright and just taking a mini-vaca. 
Klaas forwarded my request to him in regards to Adji along with the link to this thread.  Any media source is good, radio, tv, blimp...(I know I can't get Goodyear, but you never know)
Glad to see you back Ms. Bee.

NCSunny
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #350 on: March 09, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »

I do wish there would have been more information on Adji on AMW but at least he was on there. I hope and pray he is found soon.
Why are there no Adji t-shirts etc? WHY?  Dolce, you have been in contact with them? do they have a site up for donations toward T-shirts/fliers and all? Is this something we need to work on establishing?
The family has no money to put into t-shirts and bracelet, like those that were done for Caylee.  All that has come so far has been volunteer and donation. Unfortunately such charities like those that have helped Caylee, Haleigh, Trenton, etc. have not come to the aid of this family, yet....
There was one very small foundation local to this area, their money has been put into the reward fund, as well as the purchase of the discounted fliers made.  This organization is not a heavily funded one, it is more of one that can provide volunteers for searches and flier distribution.
Ok, I am going to start sending out e-mails to the t-shirt co. and see if we can get some donated. I am also working on a website for Adji as well. Can you maybe contact a local bank to set up for donations for the family? Not sure what is involved, maybe I can get with someone from missing kids network and find out. If we can get this set up, I can include it in the website. I know in searching for my brother, I was told to call the bank and set up an account for donations for searching for him. I am not going to allow this family to be swept under the rug. I can not. Adji is a child that needs to be found,just as the other missing children.

I check here often for updates, but have to say I have been catching up in the HC & CA sections, but think of Adji often & I now honestly believe there are angels here on earth now after seeing all the hard work that you & Dolce are putting into Adji's case. I often wondered why NG only mentions him off & on, not keeping him fresh in everyone's mind.

That being said, it is so sad to see that the agencies that could be helping with bracelets, fliers, t-shirts are not offering any help & seemingly because his family isn't as 'well-off' as the ants or others. This should be an 'given' when ANY child is missing, not just for those that can afford it.  JMO

I too wonder about him wandering down by the water, but also hope that with so much around their home, that him parents might have taught him something about water safely (at least that's what I am hoping)

Again, many, many thanks to everyone & ALL Monkeys for remembering this sweet, adorable boy.

NCSunny

Searching
Monkey Junky

Got my Anti Anthony Koolaid helmet on ,I'm ready!

« Reply #351 on: March 11, 2009, 07:16:20 PM »

http://home.rr.com/searching

I have started a website for Adji if any monkeys care to test it out and if any monkeys can help me on it (not the most web page savvy monkey here) would be so wonderful.  Smile

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #352 on: March 11, 2009, 07:25:05 PM »

I have started a website for Adji if any monkeys care to test it out and if any monkeys can help me on it (not the most web page savvy monkey here) would be so wonderful.  Smile

Searching ~  I just visited the website you've made for Adji.  Very nice.  I'm sorry I'm not web page savvy but if I can help you some other way, let me know.  I will continue to visit the site for any updates.  MuffyBee

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #353 on: March 12, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »

It is coming along so wonderfully Searching!  You have done and amazing job!  I wonder if Brandi could do a lovely picture of Adji for the site as well.  She does very good work with graphics and design.  Bless you my dear friend!! 

Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #354 on: March 12, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »

Searching ~  I just visited the website you've made for Adji.  Very nice.  I'm sorry I'm not web page savvy but if I can help you some other way, let me know.  I will continue to visit the site for any updates.  MuffyBee

Thank you Muffy. If you see any new news on Adji, If I miss it, please point me to it so I can update Smile  also, I need a song for the site or songs if anyone could e-mail me a song or 2 Smile

Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #355 on: March 12, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »

Thank you MuffyBee. If you see any new news on Adji, If I miss it, please point me to it so I can update Smile  also, I need a song for the site or songs if anyone could e-mail me a song or 2 Smile
had to fix your name.. left off the end for some reason...

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #356 on: March 12, 2009, 10:24:52 PM »

Editorial: Missing children ... as search for Adji goes on, can we do better?
6:00 p.m., Saturday, March 7, 2009

Nearly two months after his disappearance and supposed abduction, two questions nag:

Where is Adji Desir?

Did his case get less notoriety than others?

With the continued pursuit and hard work of law-enforcement agencies and TV programs such as “America’s Most Wanted,” we hope to have the answer to question No. 1.

Dissecting the past for the answers to question No. 2 may be less constructive than resolving to move on and tighten local and national alert systems already in place.

We would like to see them built up rather than torn down. They have accomplished a great deal and can accomplish even more.

We can understand the need for separate alert systems for different categories of cases. We can understand why searches for adults and children, whether they are believed to be abducted or runaways, can call for special skills.

We also can understand why there ought to be a certain level of evidence required to trigger activation of a major alert. False alarms can diminish the impact and distract from bona fide cases.

Still, there can be a fine line between bureaucracy and remembering the mission of networks such as AMBER Alert. That mission is finding missing children. That means getting their pictures and descriptions out there to as many sets of eyes and ears as possible as quickly as possible. Delaying any of that can play into the hands of real abductors as opposed to estranged parents using bad judgment for a few hours.

Some of the questions about little Adji may never be satisfied. Some come against a perception of injustice, with Adji being Haitian and other missing children being white and wholly American. Some can never be answered short of turning back time and having the mute 6-year-old watched more closely while at play.

We do not know what if any level of emergency alert could have made a difference in Adji’s case.

Our effort to be a productive fault-finder comes up short. We believe the news media has more to contribute here as a solution-finder. That means working with authorities to issue future alerts and requests for volunteer searchers, or on processes that make spreading bad news more systematic — regardless of how a child or adult becomes missing. All that matters is finding them. Whatever it takes.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2009/mar/07/editorial-missing-children-search-adji-goes-can-we/

Dolce
Monkey All Star

« Reply #357 on: March 12, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »

Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:39 AM »

It is coming along so wonderfully Searching!  You have done and amazing job!  I wonder if Brandi could do a lovely picture of Adji for the site as well.  She does very good work with graphics and design.  Bless you my dear friend!! 

Thank you.. Good idea about a picture,will ask her in her thread....

Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #359 on: March 14, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »

Where did you get this pic? I need more pics for Adjis site.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.