March 28, 2024, 11:15:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANY NASCAR FANS OUT THERE?  (Read 61212 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »

Almost...  But he still couldn't break his winless streak. 

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/02/28/cup-earnhardt-jrs-last-lap-run-falls-short/
CUP: Earnhardt Jr.’s Last-lap Run Falls Short
February 28, 2012

The end of The Streak was so close – but so far away.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. rolled home second in the Monday night/Tuesday morning Daytona 500, losing to old friend Matt Kenseth after he and Greg Biffle couldn’t put together a winning charge over the final two laps.

The failure to win stretched Earnhardt Jr.’s winless streak to 130 races.

The final lap of the race began with Kenseth, Biffle and Junior running in a line. Biffle and Junior hooked up in a draft but couldn’t make a run at Kenseth. Entering the trioval for the final time, Earnhardt Jr. broke away from the draft and drove to the outside in an attempt to challenge Kenseth.

But Earnhardt’s run fell short. He finished second, barely in front of Biffle.

“I’d like to have won, but I told Greg I would push him on the last restart,” Earnhardt Jr. said. “I thought we’d make a run, but I was waiting and waiting. It looked like Greg would make a move on the back, but nothing materialized.

“I kind of waited until the last minute, and nothing was happening. I just pulled out and went around him (Biffle). Matt had a strong car. The Roush cars were strong all week.”

Earnhardt Jr. said he was disappointed to miss a shot at winning the race but added that he was happy for Kenseth and pleased to leave Daytona with a good points night.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-02-28/daytona-500-one-to-remember-thanks-to-fire-matt-kenseth/53294872/1
Daytona 500 night to remember
By Nate Ryan, USA TODAY
February 28, 2012

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – An eerie fog settled in over Daytona International Speedway at 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, 30 minutes after the 36 Hours of the Daytona 500 had been won by Matt Kenseth.
As weary teams waited on the runway of the airport behind the track's backstretch, social media sites began exploding with the incredulous and defeated musings of Sprint Cup stars and crewmembers realizing their planes couldn't take off in the soup.

After the longest, most bizarre Speedweeks in history, they still couldn't get off the ground.
It might not have been precisely the season kickoff NASCAR was seeking after an avalanche of hype surrounding Danica Patrick's Sprint Cup debut and a dramatic finish to the 2011 season. The early returns, though, indicated it might not have blunted the sport's momentum considering Fox said the race drew more than 36 million total viewers (who saw all or part of it) — the second-largest audience in Daytona 500 history.

NASCAR estimated about 140,000 fans were in the stands.
The national rating peaked at 8.8 at 10 p.m., just after the 9:50 red flag for a spectacular inferno triggered by Juan Pablo Montoya spinning his car into a truck towing a jet dryer. The impact dumped 200 gallons of fuel all the way down the banking in Turn 3, and it burned for about five minutes before being extinguished. Fire images went viral on the Internet in minutes.

Web traffic to NASCAR.com set a single-day record for unique users (2.3 million, beating last year's Daytona mark by 38%), and total video streams were up 96%. National sports talk radio host Jim Rome compared the race to a Michael Bay film and said it was better than any Monday Night Football game last season.
Among the other bizarre and compelling story lines that capped a week of crashes and fluky plot twists at Daytona:

•The two-hour stoppage to fix the track produced some of the most surreal driver scenes.

Brad Keselowski became the first driver to send tweets from his car and gained roughly 100,000 followers in the process. NASCAR said it wouldn't fine him, as other professional sports have done with athletes tweeting during competition, though questions were raised about the legality of using digital devices in cars equipped with electronic fuel injection.

NASCAR announced late Tuesday that drivers could keep phones in their cars and continued to encourage the safe use of social media.

As soon as his Toyota stopped, Kyle Busch unbuckled, wriggled out of his cockpit and hopped the backstretch wall to dash to a port-a-potty. Patrick was followed by fans on her trip to the restroom.
More...
Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2012, 11:56:54 PM »

http://jalopnik.com/5888944/how-twitter-took-over-nascar
How Twitter Took Over NASCAR
February 28, 2012

Last night on national television, America's wonkiest social media platform, Twitter, and its supposedly most backward sport, NASCAR, exploded together into a massive fireball fueled by jet propellant, secret phones, and good/bad timing. Here's the story of how one driver picked up 100,000 followers in two hours and how the sport of good ol' boys may be forever changed. UPDATE!
More...

(See the pic & tweets in article at link)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2012, 04:23:58 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-02-29/Jimmie-Johnson-Chad-Knaus-penalized/53304856/1
NASCAR docks Jimmie Johnson 25 points, suspends Chad Knaus
By Chad Leistikow, USA TODAY
February 29, 2012

Five-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson was docked 25 driver points and crew chief Chad Knaus was suspended for six races on Wednesday by NASCAR after Johnson's No. 48 Chevrolet failed a Daytona 500 inspection on Feb. 17.
Car owner Jeff Gordon was also docked 25 owner points, and Knaus was fined $100,000. Car chief Ron Malec was also suspended for six races.

Knaus and Malec won't be eligible to return until the STP 400 at Kansas Speedway on April 22.
The hefty penalty puts Johnson in an even more precarious situation than did his 42nd-place finish in the season-opening Daytona 500. At minus-23 points, he'll likely need to finish in the top 20 at Phoenix International Raceway this weekend to just get back to the zero mark.

Johnson has never finished lower than sixth place in points. One race in, he's 70 points behind leader Matt Kenseth.

At issue was an illegal "C post" — a piece of sheet metal that connects the roof to the rear quarter panel. NASCAR said it was modified in a way not permitted in the rulebook.

On its website, Hendrick Motorsports said it would appeal the penalties.

Hendrick and NASCAR said it would not comment further on the matter.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-03-20/Jimmie-Johnson-Chad-Knaus-win-final-appeal/53672046/1
Shock ruling: Jimmie Johnson gets his 25 points back
By Dustin Long, Special for USA TODAY
March 20, 2012

CONCORD, N.C. – In a ruling that came as a shock to some, NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson's 25-point penalty and crew chief Chad Knaus' six-race suspension were overturned Tuesday by NASCAR Stock Car Racing chief appellate officer John Middlebrook.
Only a $100,000 fine for Knaus will stand.

Middlebrook's decision was final.
At issue was a failed pre-Daytona 500 inspection in which NASCAR deemed there were illegal modifications made to the "C posts" — the pieces of sheet metal connecting the roof to the rear quarter panel — on Johnson's No. 48 Chevrolet.

The car never turned a lap on the track with the C posts and the team was allowed to correct the issue.

Unlike the previous appeal hearing, in which a three-member panel unanimously upheld the penalties last Tuesday, NASCAR and team owner Rick Hendrick were in the room together.

"There was no ill intent on our part," Hendrick said outside the side of the hearing, NASCAR's Research & Development Center. "We felt by the rulebook we were approved. By the rulebook the car was legal."

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-03-20/Jimmie-Johnson-Chad-Knaus-win-final-appeal/53672046/1
Shock ruling: Jimmie Johnson gets his 25 points back
By Dustin Long, Special for USA TODAY
March 20, 2012

CONCORD, N.C. – In a ruling that came as a shock to some, NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson's 25-point penalty and crew chief Chad Knaus' six-race suspension were overturned Tuesday by NASCAR Stock Car Racing chief appellate officer John Middlebrook.
Only a $100,000 fine for Knaus will stand.

Middlebrook's decision was final.
At issue was a failed pre-Daytona 500 inspection in which NASCAR deemed there were illegal modifications made to the "C posts" — the pieces of sheet metal connecting the roof to the rear quarter panel — on Johnson's No. 48 Chevrolet.

The car never turned a lap on the track with the C posts and the team was allowed to correct the issue.

Unlike the previous appeal hearing, in which a three-member panel unanimously upheld the penalties last Tuesday, NASCAR and team owner Rick Hendrick were in the room together.

"There was no ill intent on our part," Hendrick said outside the side of the hearing, NASCAR's Research & Development Center. "We felt by the rulebook we were approved. By the rulebook the car was legal."
Wow is all I can say.  Usually NASCAR doesn't do a reversal, but I still don't understand why the fine if the car was legal.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2012, 10:34:57 AM »

http://www.khou.com/sports/Rusty-Wallace-heads-NASCAR-Hall-of-Fame-group-153396095.html
Rusty Wallace heads NASCAR Hall of Fame group
May 23, 2012

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-06-17/Dale-Earnhardt-Jr-snaps-143-race-drought/55654266/1
Dale Earnhardt Jr. wins at Michigan, snaps 143-race skid
June 17, 2012

BROOKLYN, Mich. – Dale Earnhardt Jr. ended a 143-race winless streak Sunday at Michigan International Speedway, winning the Quicken Loans 400.
Earnhardt rallied from a pit stop on lap 11 that dropped his No. 88 Chevrolet to 37th. Crew chief Steve Letarte made two suspension adjustments that seemed to bring the car to life, and Earnhardt was helped by two competition cautions that bunched up the field.

He took his first lead on lap 70, breezing by pole-sitter Marcos Ambrose after whizzing past Greg Biffle in second a lap earlier, and he was able to build big leads under long green-flag runs.
More...

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-06-17/Dale-Earnhardt-Jr-snaps-143-race-drought/55654266/1
June 17, 2012

BROOKLYN, Mich. – Dale Earnhardt Jr. ended a 143-race winless streak Sunday at Michigan International Speedway, winning the Quicken Loans 400.
Earnhardt rallied from a pit stop on lap 11 that dropped his No. 88 Chevrolet to 37th. Crew chief Steve Letarte made two suspension adjustments that seemed to bring the car to life, and Earnhardt was helped by two competition cautions that bunched up the field.

He took his first lead on lap 70, breezing by pole-sitter Marcos Ambrose after whizzing past Greg Biffle in second a lap earlier, and he was able to build big leads under long green-flag runs.
More...
I am thrilled -- maybe this will be the beginning of a lot of wins.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »

June 17, 2012

More...

Maybe Junior's got his mojo back!!   

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »

June 17, 2012

More...

So glad Junior won, but I root for any of the Hendrick boys.

2 4 1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »

June 17, 2012

More...

Hi SuzieQ!!  It's good to see you.  I really like to watch good old fashioned competition and some rivalry and having Junior back in the mix helps stir it all up some more!  That's not to say I like to see mean spirited, dangerous stuff that pops up now and then    That's not my bag. I guess there's always got to be one or two in the the bunch. 

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:10 AM »

June 17, 2012

More...

Me too SuzieQ -- glad Johnson won the week before (?).
Though I admit I am taken with Trevor Baine and the Wood team.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

It has been a great season, so far.......let's keep them all safe!

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2012, 04:28:15 AM »

Nut, I agree.  There's been some terrible wrecks last couple of years and all have walked away relatively unscathed.  Many thanks to old number 3 for making safety a priority.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2012, 10:36:39 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-08-05/fans-struck-by-lightning-at-pocono-raceway/56811334/1
Fan killed after lightning strikes NASCAR race
August 4, 2012

LONG POND, Pa. – One fan was killed and another was in critical condition after multiple lightning strikes occurred after a NASCAR Sprint Cup race was cut short by thunderstorms Sunday at Pocono Raceway.

Track spokesman Bob Pleban said 10 fans were taken to hospitals. He said Pocono had a policy in place for emergency evacuations but said the track might not have further updates until Monday morning.
Pleban said the fan, whose identity has not been released, was declared dead on arrival at Pocono Medical Center. One of the other nine injured fans was in critical condition.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2012/10/7/3467318/nascar-talladega-superspeedway-2012-start-time-lineup-grid-streaming-tv-radio-schedule
NASCAR at Talladega 2012: Start time, lineup, TV/radio schedule, live streaming info and more
October 7, 2012

It's NASCAR race day at Talladega Superspeedway, and we've got the actual race start time, the starting lineup and some other facts about today's Good Sam Roadside Assistance 500 for you below.

What time does the race start today? First of all, you'll note a later start time than most Sunday races due to the Chase: Most Sunday races in the final 10 weeks will begin at 2 p.m., and the last few races will start at 3 p.m. As for today's race, movie star Kevin James will tell the drivers to start their engines at 2:11 p.m. Eastern (1:11 local time). The exact start time of the Talladega race is 2:23 p.m. ET.

Race name/distance: Today's race is the Good Sam Roadside Assistance 500. Talladega is NASCAR's largest track (2.67 miles), so there's 188 laps around the track for a total of 500 miles today.

TV, radio and live streaming: Today's race can be seen on ESPN. Every race for the rest of the year will be on ESPN except for Charlotte (which is on ABC). There IS live streaming of the race today, which can be found at NASCAR.com's "RaceBuddy" site and on the "Watch ESPN" app. If you'll be away from your computer and TV, check the Motor Racing Network's web site for a list of affiliate radio stations in your area.

*** NOTE: If you're out and about today and can't watch the race, make sure to follow me (@jeff_gluck) on Twitter. I'll be tweeting updates about the event. ***
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2012, 08:08:24 AM »

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-206921.html
2012 Talladega II: NASCAR Sprint Cup LIVE Streaming, Timing, Weather & TV Schedule
October 7, 2012

The NASCAR Sprint Cup will be racing today in the Good Sam Roadside Assistance 500 at Talladega Superspeedway in Talladega, Alabama. Kasey Kahne and his No. 5 Hendrickcars.com Chevrolet will lead the 43-car field to the green flag after taking the Pole on Saturday. Pole winners have gone on to win this event in three times in the last 45 events held here.

PaddockTalk has also released a beta version of our new NASCAR news android app! Check it out at Google Market - NASCAR News

TV coverage today will start airing at 1 PM ET on ESPN until 5:30 PM. The green flag is scheduled to drop at 2:19 PM.

If you'd like more or need alternative coverage you can check out web streaming, live-timing, and radio.

For LIVE timing and scoring be sure to check out nascar.com which has LIVE timing and scoring, and lap by lap commentary.

Audio web streaming will be with MRN (Motor Racing Network) handling the call at motorracingnetwork.com beginning at 1 PM.
More...

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2013, 08:47:30 PM »

Yeah -- let's go racing!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2013/2/24/4025474/daytona-500-results-2013-finish-order-winner-jimmie-johnson
2013 Daytona 500 results: Full finishing order
February 24, 2013

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.